• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

[Digital Foundry] Final Fantasy 7 Rebirth on PS5 - Quality/Performance Modes + More

Zuzu

Yeah, doubt I’ll buy this as it currently is because of that terrible image quality in performance mode. I’ll have to wait for the PC version or a PS5 Pro version. I have a feeling that the eventual PC version will be a bit of a mess. UE4 + Open World + Square Enix + PC = potential disaster.

Last edited:

rofif

Can’t Git Gud
They seriously just disabled bilinear scaling and enabled NN ? lol wtf.
NN works great for pixelart games but it makes 3d games pixelated.

Quality for me but I knew this already

MikeM

Imagine canceling this game because of this.

I mean I wish it was definitely better perf wise, but after a 4 year wait for this I'm not canceling shit.
Why not? This game is $94 CAD before tax in Canada. You can bet i’m having second thoughts on paying that much for a perf mode that is pretty subpar.
People think they need 60fps with a clean IQ and a high resolution.

I have no problem with 30fps with a cleaner IQ and higher resolution. That’s how I’m currently playing Helldivers 2.
Everyones’ eyes are different. I can’t do 30fps on OLED.

Luipadre

I might wait with this game and play Banishers instead. I have a feeling that they will improve the performance mode post launch, after everyone finished the game ofc :D

I would be fine with 30 fps mode, but it looks rough on OLED without motion blur

Last edited:

Lokaum D+

Can't wait!

austin powers GIF by Stan.

Zuzu

Anything "spoilery" in this? We need that summary!

There’s nothing major but they do show off a nice area in the video which might spoil it a bit for you. I think it’s still near the beginning but if you really don’t want anything spoilt then maybe don’t watch.

saintjules

Well will wait for them to fix thos or maybe a ps5 pro update. This action game with fast combat in 30fps will pass.

While I'm eager for a Pro, I wouldn't wait for something that hasn't been announced yet.

Besides I suspect this game will warrant a 2nd playthrough. Kind of like when Remake got that 60fps update. Made it much sweeter the second time around.

Monokrom

I'm not yet decided if I'm gonna go for performance or quality. On a Oled 30fps is not ideal, and there is no motion blur in this game (I think).

Flabagast

I might wait with this game and play Banishers instead. I have a feeling that they will improve the performance mode post launch, after everyone finished the game ofc :D

I would be fine with 30 fps mode, but it looks rough on OLED without motion blur
As a story driven game Banishers is very good, you won't be disappointed

Dacvak

No one shall be brought before our LORD David Bowie without the true and secret knowledge of the Photoshop. For in that time, so shall He appear.
What the hell is up with that nearest neighbor upscaling? That looks awful. Maybe it’s not as bad if you’re sitting far enough from your TV.

Also, I have no problem with 30fps games, but proper motion blur is an absolute MUST. Especially camera movement motion blur.

Flabagast

What the hell is up with that nearest neighbor upscaling? That looks awful. Maybe it’s not as bad if you’re sitting far enough from your TV.

Also, I have no problem with 30fps games, but proper motion blur is an absolute MUST. Especially camera movement motion blur.
What's weird is that there was a really nice motion blur implemented in Remake, which is not the case at all here

rofif

Can’t Git Gud
damn, holy shit that comparison at 6:34.
I'm probably waiting for a price drop or potential update that improves things.
that's just Nearest neighbor scaling which is essentially integer scaler (no filtering).
Bad and very strange choice for non 2d pixelart game.

PS5 did that initially 3 years ago on screenshots of ps4 1080p games if you plyed at 4k. Look how it pixelated bloodborne screenshots (was good in game but no filtering on screenshots, it was weird)
look at the text and fence.
FT7479w.png

bvUQNZB.jpeg

Bojji

If you play 30fps for literally an hour, all complaints go away.

Just play 30fps, get dem grafffixxxxxxx.

This would have been tolerable with good camera motion blur like FFXVI but there isn't any...

Pixelated 60fps for me.

Last edited:

rofif

Can’t Git Gud
Yeah. The only explanation I can think of is that some people lack the ability the perceive how shit the motion resolution is at 30fps on an lcd.
I am oled user. 30 is still just fine. 24 is barely usable though. Slow panning shots in movies just judder.
30 depends. If motion blur is fine, it's ok. you get used to it as always

Last edited:

SlimySnake

Flashless at the Golden Globes
15 minutes is all it takes for me to adjust. The trick is to never switch between 60 and 30 fps and you will have no need to adjust.

Ive been gaming on an OLED for the last 3 years and Spiderman Miles, Ratchet, FF16, Horizon FW, and Callisto all looked fine on the OLED. If anything its better because the input lag on the OLEDs is so low, it doesnt feel laggy.

I even disabled motion blur in Horizon FW to fix the intense HDR brightness flickering issues and didnt notice the jitteriness.

Again, the trick is to never switch back and forth. We have been playing 30 fps games for decades. Our eyes have already adjusted.

FUBARx89

Ooooof, some of them comparisons aren't pretty, at all.

Can they not use FSR or something? Cause it really does look bad in performance mode.

Last edited:
Top Bottom