• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

[Digital Foundry] Final Fantasy 7 Rebirth on PS5 - Quality/Performance Modes + More

Sirolf

Most likely never played 30fps on an OLED.
reaction-what.gif
I’ve a LG G3 and 30fps is perfectly fine for me ,no problem at all.

Katajx

Gold Member
What a strange analysis. It’s good to see that after Nibelheim though it sounds more positive. My biggest gripe is the lighting at times, but otherwise everything else has been good for me.

Belthazar

What a strange analysis. It’s good to see that after Nibelheim though it sounds more positive. My biggest gripe is the lighting at times, but otherwise everything else has been good for me.

My problem is with the lighting too, but just one aspect of it that makes the characters look really weird: their eyes. It just looks off when they're in daylight

15 minutes is all it takes for me to adjust. The trick is to never switch between 60 and 30 fps and you will have no need to adjust.

Ive been gaming on an OLED for the last 3 years and Spiderman Miles, Ratchet, FF16, Horizon FW, and Callisto all looked fine on the OLED. If anything its better because the input lag on the OLEDs is so low, it doesnt feel laggy.

I even disabled motion blur in Horizon FW to fix the intense HDR brightness flickering issues and didnt notice the jitteriness.

Again, the trick is to never switch back and forth. We have been playing 30 fps games for decades. Our eyes have already adjusted.

Real talk: the games that require 60fps for gameplay are few and far in between.

Twitchy games basically.

90% are fine with a solid 30 fps mode

sendit

15 minutes is all it takes for me to adjust. The trick is to never switch between 60 and 30 fps and you will have no need to adjust.

Ive been gaming on an OLED for the last 3 years and Spiderman Miles, Ratchet, FF16, Horizon FW, and Callisto all looked fine on the OLED. If anything its better because the input lag on the OLEDs is so low, it doesnt feel laggy.

I even disabled motion blur in Horizon FW to fix the intense HDR brightness flickering issues and didnt notice the jitteriness.

Again, the trick is to never switch back and forth. We have been playing 30 fps games for decades. Our eyes have already adjusted.
"I hate improvements"
"Ignorance is bliss"
"Change is overrated."
"Comfort in the familiar."
"Less is more."
"Old ways, best ways."

i dont get. I play Resolution mode on my OLED C1 just fine, on a lot of games.

While it is a little worse than other tvs for low framerate, it's nothing major come on. And the image quality is great

Truth over here. And this boy Slimy is always complaining about graphics.... Oled at 30 is fine!

MarkMe2525

While I prefer 60fps+, I am also fine with a steady 30fps. After a few minutes, the visual impact fades away and I am engrossed in the gameplay. In my case, it probably helps that I play a lot of Gen 7 systems.

Fbh

i dont get. I play Resolution mode on my OLED C1 just fine, on a lot of games.

While it is a little worse than other tvs for low framerate, it's nothing major come on. And the image quality is great

I vastly prefer 60fps and I wish all games aimed for 60fps with decent IQ over graphics.
The shitty IQ in the performance mode on this game is going to make me wait for either a patch or a price drop.

BUT I've never understood the "30fps is unplayable on OLED" argument. Like I played through most of Tears of the Kingdom and all of FFXVI at 30fps on my C1 and I didn't feel it was any worse than 30fps on my old LCD. Like maybe if you do a slow panning shot it looks a bit worse, but that's not something I do during regular gameplay.

SlimySnake

Flashless at the Golden Globes
I think devs have no one but themselves to blame for this. They embraced cross gen and 60 fps modes instead of pushing graphics fidelity in early gen titles. Now they are finally pushing graphics fidelity, but it comes at a cost like everything in life. Only this time its resolution and level of detail because 10 tlfops can only give you so much.

I say its not too late to shun 60 fps and just drop performance modes altogether. Dont even give people an option and you wont see bitching. no one bitched about lack of 60 fps in uncharted 4, zelda, TLOU2, Ghost of Tsushima, horizon ZD, GOW 2018, RDR2, Death Stranding, Bloodborne, Sekiro, witcher 3. No one cared. People just got on with it.

Just be honest and say hey you cant have everything. Be a man and suck it up. Go to PC if you want high resolutions and high settings at 60 fps. Enjoy the game the way we meant to be played.

It's been super frustrating to see every fucking game get marred by performance talk. RE4's blurry performance mode was the start and since then Star Wars, FF16, Alan Wake 2 and even Avatar have all had their discussion dominated by poor IQ and performance in 60 fps modes. Fuck it. Take the PR hit on not providing a 60 fps mode, and focus on making the 30 fps mode feel smooth instead. I cant believe people were playing games like FF16 and Star Wars at 720p or below. it's shocking. Avatar and ALan wake drop to 864p. No wonder no one thinks those games look amazing because they all played on PS3 era resolutions on giant 4k modern tvs.

Console gamers dont need to be given options. They chose to be console gamers for a reason. If they really want, they would build a PC or buy a Pro for 60 fps.

Last edited:

Bojji

After watching DF video: THEY FUCKED UP, it's worse than it was in demo version 1.0. Japanese devs are always like this, they patched performance mode for FFXV all the time and it was one bad choice after another, they finally gave options to users.

So day 1 purchase is probably not worth it (until they fix it).

saintjules

Yeah, it's not even the full analysis. Just a small filler until the main thing.

Takeaway is that perf mode is still blurry even after the update. In the heat of battles though most of that won't matter.

saintjules

I don't know I played the demo and it looked fine to me. I haven't played since the update. I don't know I think almost all games look great these days though so maybe I'm not a good judge for this kind of thing.

6:33. You didn't see this going on in your playthrough?

omegasc

Well I guess I'll complain while playing this awesome game, like I did with XVI
There's always the PC/PS5 Pro/PS6 version to play later, before PART 3: REMAKE INTERGRADE REBIRTH RAGAMUFFIN ON THREE DISCS

Go_Ly_Dow

DF saying the Nibelheim section, aka the games opening is the ugliest part of the game and after this the visuals improve a lot. With a lot more detail and nice geometry.

This is very surprising as the usual pattern in games is that the first few hours are of the highest quality with the rest sometimes not being to the same standard.

Performance mode hovering around 1100p, mostly stable 60fps, extreme stress situations can see it dip to 55fps, but overall decent.

Quality mode mostly rendering at a full 4K 2160p, very stable 30fps, dips only about 1fps.

When considering this I think they could deliver a decent 40fps here without dropping the resolution much and it would be a very good middleground. I guess many devs think 120hz/HDMI 2.1 TVs aren't in many homes yet and they're probably right?

Last edited:

Fbh

I think devs have no one but themselves to blame for this. They embraced cross gen and 60 fps modes instead of pushing graphics fidelity in early gen titles. Now they are finally pushing graphics fidelity, but it comes at a cost like everything in life. Only this time its resolution and level of detail because 10 tlfops can only give you so much.

I say its not too late to shun 60 fps and just drop performance modes altogether. Dont even give people an option and you wont see bitching. no one bitched about lack of 60 fps in uncharted 4, zelda, TLOU2, Ghost of Tsushima, horizon ZD, GOW 2018, RDR2, Death Stranding, Bloodborne, Sekiro, witcher 3. No one cared. People just got on with it.

Just be honest and say hey you cant have everything. Be a man and suck it up. Go to PC if you want high resolutions and high settings at 60 fps. Enjoy the game the way we meant to be played.

It's been super frustrating to see every fucking game get marred by performance talk. RE4's blurry performance mode was the start and since then Star Wars, FF16, Alan Wake 2 and even Avatar have all had their discussion dominated by poor IQ and performance in 60 fps modes. Fuck it. Take the PR hit on not providing a 60 fps mode, and focus on making the 30 fps mode feel smooth instead. I cant believe people were playing games like FF16 and Star Wars at 720p or below. it's shocking. Avatar and ALan wake drop to 864p. No wonder no one thinks those games look amazing because they all played on PS3 era resolutions on giant 4k modern tvs.

Console gamers dont need to be given options. They chose to be console gamers for a reason. If they really want, they would build a PC or buy a Pro for 60 fps.

One could make the argument that they could instead focus on good performance and decent IQ and tell people that if they want the the better textures, and more dense foliage and draw distance or whatever they can get a PC. I'd rather get games that play well instead of games that have slightly better graphics

Seems the same as the updated demo which has the worst IQ I can remember seeing this gen. It went from super blurry to slightly less blurry but super pixelated.

Lucky I have loads of games to play ATM so will have no FOMO waiting for a PC version.

Will it stutter? Yes.

Will it also have great IQ and 3x the frame rate 99.99% of the time? Also yes.

If this game is a great as the reviews say worth waiting for a decent experience imo. If they patch in TAAU as shit as that is I would consider this version as nearest neighbour upscaling is crazy in 2024.

Not an ad hominem but serious advice to anyone that thinks performance mode looks acceptable - please visit an optician ASAP.

killatopak

These babies complaining about 30fps and oled. I’ve been doing it since the Vita.

I personally don’t have time complaining about this. 2023 AND 2024 is jam packed with amazing games that I have little time to squeeze between them.

I understand people who don’t game on 30fps but just because it’s on oled doesn’t mean it’s automatically shit.

King Dazzar

I understand people who don’t game on 30fps but just because it’s on oled doesn’t mean it’s automatically shit.
Sample and hold in modern TV's (the pixels are set to hold an image until the screen refreshes) be it OLED or high end LCD's with sufficiently quick pixel response, are both equally shit at showing 30fps. I didnt like 30fps on OLED and I dont like it on my LCD either. Both rely on in game motion blur to help alleviate it. The days of getting a slow blurry LCD TV are gone if you get something mid to high end.

Last edited:

Vick

One could make the argument that they could instead focus on good performance and decent IQ and tell people that if they want the the better textures, and more dense foliage and draw distance or whatever they can get a PC. I'd rather get games that play well instead of games that have slightly better graphics
cvsq85l.jpg

Finally someone fucking gets it.

Sorry but 60fps is here to stay, gameplay takes priority. Want better resolution/settings? Get a PC or a Pro.

And on this note, having the option to buy a more expensive Pro console should always be mandatory from now on.

Last edited:
Seems the same as the updated demo which has the worst IQ I can remember seeing this gen. It went from super blurry to slightly less blurry but super pixelated.

Lucky I have loads of games to play ATM so will have no FOMO waiting for a PC version.

Will it stutter? Yes.

Will it also have great IQ and 3x the frame rate 99.99% of the time? Also yes.

If this game is a great as the reviews say worth waiting for a decent experience imo. If they patch in TAAU as shit as that is I would consider this version as nearest neighbour upscaling is crazy in 2024.

Not an ad hominem but serious advice to anyone that thinks performance mode looks acceptable - please visit an optician ASAP.
Have you actually played the patched demo? I believe the whole drama is now completely overblown. Performance mode is fine now. The problem is that the game runs at a low resolution at 60fps. But it's not worse than those latest 720p- 1080p 60fps games.

The game is incredibly smooth and consistent in motion without those ugly FSR2 artefacts. People should be happy about it. On PC it's going to be a stutter fest which is much more of a problem IMO than a console subpar resolution at (virtually locked) 60fps.

Last edited:

StereoVsn

I’ve a LG G3 and 30fps is perfectly fine for me ,no problem at all.
How in the world is it perfectly fine? Like it looks stuttery as hell to me whichever game I try. Well, I guess turn based is tolerable, but I cannot stand action games at 30 fps on modern OS.

This is due to instant on pixels so I don’t think either BFI or motion blur in game can help. It’s inherent in the tech.

Edit: iOS autocorrect is simply trash.

Last edited:

King Dazzar

Performance mode is fine now. The problem is that the game runs at a low resolution at 60fps. But it's not worse than those latest 720p- 1080p 60fps games.
I had no problem with the frame rate consistency, so that's something positive. But my oh my does it look ropey at times. The pixilation on characters at times looks awful. It looks very, very dated to my eyes. The lighting and HDR is often very flat too, which doesn't help. I'm happy for those that are content. But unfortunately, for me, it looks unacceptably poor.

I had no problem with the frame rate consistency, so that's something positive. But my oh my does it look ropey at times. The pixilation on characters at times looks awful. It looks very, very dated to my eyes. The lighting and HDR is often very flat too, which doesn't help. I'm happy for those that are content. But unfortunately, for me, it looks unacceptably poor.
What you are complaining at is simply the almost 1080p resolution seen on a 4K screen. But AA works actually pretty well in this game.

King Dazzar

What you are complaining at is simply the almost 1080p resolution seen on a 4K screen. But AA works actually pretty well in this game.
Low resolution doesnt help for sure, but this is more than that. Usually on 1080p games I find distant detail can suffer, not up close pixilation of characters to the level I'm seeing here. These days also, reconstruction and upscaling techniques cam mitigate it even further. Not the case here. I dont think the flat HDR and lighting is helping things either.

Low resolution doesnt help for sure, but this is more than that. Usually on 1080p games I find distant detail can suffer, not up close pixilation of characters to the level I'm seeing here. These days also, reconstruction and upscaling techniques cam mitigate it even further. Not the case here. I dont think the flat HDR and lighting is helping things either.
There is no reconstruction at all. Only UE4 TAA. But at least there are not ugly FSR2 artefacts! In motion those games are unbearable! It would be a disaster to have FSR2 during battles in this game. It could be much worse guys!

Have you actually played the patched demo? I believe the whole drama is now completely overblown. Performance mode is fine now. The problem is that the game runs at a low resolution at 60fps. But it's not worse than those latest 720p- 1080p 60fps games.

The game is incredibly smooth and consistent in motion without those ugly FSR2 artefacts. People should be happy about it. On PC it's going to be a stutter fest which is much more of a problem IMO than a console subpar resolution at (virtually locked) 60fps.
Yes I played it again yesterday and it looks worse now imo. A soft image is one thing but it's full of upscaling artifacts now as everything looks pixelated.

Full of ghosting and pop-in too.

Different people tolerate different things. I couldn't play the PS5 versions of Jedi Survivor or Dead Space due to the awful IQ (and awful performance to be fair which this game doesn't seem to have) but was fine with the stutter on PC as the games looked a generation better in terms of IQ and ran at 120fps+ so were so much more responsive.

I can't do 30fps anymore either. There is no adjusting when you are used to HFR gaming at least not for me. 60fps takes some getting used to nevermind 30fps. We aren't playing on 14inch crts anymore but huge bright OLEDs with instant response times.

Vick

I couldn't play the PS5 versions of Dead Space due to the awful IQ (and awful performance to be fair which this game doesn't seem to have) but was fine with the stutter on PC as the games looked a generation better in terms of IQ and ran at 120fps+ so were so much more responsive.
What a load of utter nonsense..

Once they quickly patched out VRS the game looked as perfect as it realistically could while performing infinitely better than other versions when it comes to stutter, which is in fact practically non existent on console.

PS5 Performance:

"Awful IQ"

Dead-Space-20230205004157.png

Dead-Space-20230207202956.png

Dead-Space-20230209010618.png

Dead-Space-20230207173055.png

Dead-Space-20230207161759.png

Dead-Space-20230209190301.png

Dead-Space-20230206173333.png

Dead-Space-20230206175548.png

Dead-Space-20230204223515.png

Dead-Space-20230205023902.png

Dead-Space-20230207015228.png

Dead-Space-20230207162002.png

Dead-Space-20230207004916.png

And "Awful performance"..

How dare this game maintaining a rock solid 60fps with a a thousandth of the stuttering problems still plaguing the PC version.

dont-care-nope-Steve-Carell-The-Office-GIF.gif

Roxkis_ii

Yeah, if there is no software fix for the proformance mode, I'm sitting this one out. I simply don't want to play games at 30 fps anymore if I don't have to.

SlimySnake

Flashless at the Golden Globes
It's not just about prettier graphics. Rebirth has changed the game design by adding larger open worlds that simply cost too much to render on the GPU. If anything, the graphics fidelity is largely the same, what they did do was use the PS5 to create a larger open world to match their vision for the original.

So basically what you and Vick are saying is that you want to curtail and limit dev's creative vision just so you could get 60 fps.
What you and Vick are arguing is a generation of cross gen games build around PS4 era specs just with double the resolution and double the FPS.

If thats the case then I am sorry, but I need to be harsh here, and I say this with love in my heart for both of you, but maybe console gaming is not for you. For 9 generations now, the goal for each generation was to push gaming forward not just in visuals but also and more importantly gameplay. We have seen this before. We saw Kojima ditch 60 fps because he wanted larger areas in MGS3 compared to the linear corridors in MGS2. And MGS3 is probably the greatest MGS game of them all. Technically the PS2 could do 60 fps but devs like Rockstar, Kojima, and Bungie decided that scale and scope is far more important than 60 fps.

Ive been building PCs since 2003. Did it in 2011 as well as 2018 because by the tail end of the console generation, ive had my fill of 30 fps games and want to play everything at 60 fps so trust me when i say i get the appeal. But id rather have FF7's open world areas instead of yet another corridor game. Star Wars Jedi Survivor is another example. The PS5 ssd helped them create way larger open worlds and even the linear levels were way bigger in scope than previously. The number of enemies they throw at you is also very impressive. Would you rather have 60 fps instead of those things?

If it was just about fancier graphics then we wouldnt be having this discussion in a FF7 Rebirth thread because it has one of the smallest leap in visuals we've seen this gen.
Finally someone fucking gets it.

Sorry but 60fps is here to stay, gameplay takes priority. Want better resolution/settings? Get a PC or a Pro.

And on this note, having the option to buy a more expensive Pro console should always be mandatory from now on.
See above.

Nydius

And yet there are still people questioning the need for a PRO console.
Pro consoles aren’t going to solve this.

The mid-Gen updates last Gen didn’t solve this issue, all it did was allow developers to add more bells and whistles while not addressing overall performance. When this Gen came out, everyone was convinced we had put 30fps behind us because it was a step up from the PS4 Pro and Xbox One X who were already sliding into 30fps territory.

Three years into this generation where 4k/120 was a selling point of both consoles, we’re back to 30fps with graphical bells and whistles taking developer’s priorities over 60fps and good texture/IQ.

Anyone thinking it’s going to be any different with an overpriced “pro” console is setting themselves up for disappointment. Just spend another $600+ - I’m sure THIS time you’ll get the amazing graphics they promise. 🙄

Last edited:

SkylineRKR

I beat the entire demo with all fights on 30fps and it really is fine. Okay, coming from 60 is jarring for a few moments but its what it is. You can pick 60 though, and its quite stable unlike FFXVI but it looks worse. If the Pro comes you're at the mercy of the developer updating the game. And who knows how it ends up. FFXV wasn't great on PS4 Pro. They could do better with perf mode IQ on base PS5, though not that much probably. They aren't Guerrilla and its not like PS5 is that much more powerful than PS4 Pro. Remake couldn't run above 1440p in 60fps either, and its a game with much simpler geometry and level design.

No 40fps mode is a shame I will say.

Last edited:

wizaga

Neo Member
I don't know if any of you notice this, but For some reason when you put the ps5 to output in 1440p mode in the system settings instead of automatic/2160p mode, The image is much sharper in performance mode. At first i thought it was just placebo but the image is really a bit sharper Try it out

Top Bottom