• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Smash Bros Brawl Dojo Official Update Thread: Goodbye, Cherry-don

Status
Not open for further replies.

watkinzez

Holy crap. Hip Tanaka hasn't composed anything for Nintendo since Earthbound- that is pretty big news.
And since I already know Stickerbush Symphony is confirmed, I don't mind DK arcade music appearing on the site for now.

RagnarokX

various15_071127a-l.jpg

various15_071127b-l.jpg

Hmm, switching to 16:9 mode apparently causes Mario and Snake to switch places. I hope they fix that in the final game :p

Honestly, I sorely doubt we're getting anymore characters. I think any character that will be in the game will be both unlockable and not featured on Dojo until possibly after the game launches.

The good thing about today's update is no more worries about widescreen support. I remember this being a point of concern in this thread's early days.

Jiggy

Lots to cover today, actually.

-November 27th brings the Dojo's 23rd double update.

-I didn't think it was possible, but game modes have actually overtaken stages (and final smashes and how to play) as the second-most-common type of update on the Dojo, at 18 updates. Before November began, game modes were at 14 and stages at 17. The 18 figure is when the stealth replay update is counted, though, so at least there's that.

-Music gets its 16th update when counting Cooking Navi on the Japanese Dojo.

-Donkey Kong moves up to 8 updates, tying Star Fox for fourth-most-common. Incidentally, this is when counting both of their videos--DK Makes His Stand and Fox's Misfortune--even though those updates didn't "technically" have their symbols on them. But even if you factored out those videos, they'd still be fourth-most-common.

-The five least-recently-updated series are now F-Zero (July 2nd), Legend of Zelda (August 20th), Yoshi (August 23rd), Kid Icarus (September 3rd), and Animal Crossing (September 26th). Actually, Animal Crossing has been in there for a while... I made a slight mistake when I included Donkey Kong as the fifth spot previously. Sorry. >_>

-Known franchises without music updates are now reduced to F-Zero, Ice Climbers, Mario, Mother, Nintendo DS, and Sonic. Note to Sakurai: I think nearly all of us would rather have some music updates for these series than some of Novembust's stuff.

-23 days without a character.

-The five least recent types of updates are now Poke Ball, character profile, story mode, stage, and special moves.

-42 days of updates remain until the Japanese release date.

I know there's something else that's slipping my mind. I'll edit if I think of it.

Keru_Shiri said:
Honestly, I sorely doubt we're getting anymore characters. I think any character that will be in the game will be both unlockable and not featured on Dojo until possibly after the game launches.

The good thing about today's update is no more worries about widescreen support. I remember this being a point of concern in this thread's early days.

Nah.

Captain Falcon will be announced, no two ways about it.

The only three I could see being announced are CF, Animal Crosser, and Olimar, but the latter is the least likely.

duffey

Taxman said:
Okay, Sakurai, you need to stop this. If you don't have anything else interesting to tell us, shut down the site or put it on hiatus. God, it used to be so great, staying up every night to see the update. Now... It's like watching your favorite athlete trying to play 5 years after he should have retired - it's just a husk of what it once was.
I'm sorry but I'd rather have stuff like this than nothing at all. I hate when publishers/developers keep stuff in the dark until the last minute. A site like this, especially coming from Nintendo, is a breath of fresh air.

Taxman

mj1108 said:
He's been updating 5 days a week for the last 6 months or so. You do the math.
Duh. He's stretching. A lot. He should put up something like "since we got delayed I'm going to stop updating for a month" and then come back when he doesn't have 4 times as many days to fill as he does things to say.

duffey said:
I'm sorry but I'd rather have stuff like this than nothing at all. I hate when publishers/developers keep stuff in the dark until the last minute. A site like this, especially coming from Nintendo, is a breath of fresh air.
But it seems like he overreached, and the delay has burnt him for it. Maybe if he made it MWF, or Tues-Thurs, or something where we get info but don't get this kind of crap. Next he'll be telling us that hitting the home button will bring up the home menu!

dyls

Tanaka quit working for Nintendo ten years ago. And is now president of Creatures, Inc. And still Sakurai got him to compose for this game. It's simply unbelievable the amount of talent packed into this game.

edit: If people don't stop underestimating this update, I will fight everybody here.

Taxman said:
Okay, Sakurai, you need to stop this. If you don't have anything else interesting to tell us, shut down the site or put it on hiatus. God, it used to be so great, staying up every night to see the update. Now... It's like watching your favorite athlete trying to play 5 years after he should have retired - it's just a husk of what it once was.

Yeah, this site that is esentially a very long commercial for an upcoming game I am interested in really sucks, I want my money back. The worst part is how they force you to stay up really late every night to see the pointless update, I have other things to do!

justchris

Does anybody get the feeling Sakurai is trying to punk us? Wait until we get fed up of waiting for the update, only to drop the final megaton while we're all sleeping?

Taxman said:
Duh. He's stretching. A lot. He should put up something like "since we got delayed I'm going to stop updating for a month" and then come back when he doesn't have 4 times as many days to fill as he does things to say.
Ummm....no! :lol

Mistouze

user-friendly man-cashews
At this point, my prediction for tomorrows update :

"THIS GAME ROCKS"
followed by a text by Sakurai confirming his pimp status to all the little gamer bitches we are all around the world with a pic of him in a purple pimp suit and the feather hat that goes with it.

Bonerville High said:
Yeah, this site that is esentially a very long commercial for an upcoming game I am interested in really sucks, I want my money back. The worst part is how they force you to stay up really late every night to see the pointless update, I have other things to do!

I hope this was sarcasm because no one is forcing you to do shit.

I still enjoy staying up and getting psyched with everyone here, even if it's a suck update.

Danthrax

Batteries the CRISIS!
Although I'm not really into the song, I'm happy to get a music update. It just feels so much more substantial than most of November's stuff. I liked yesterday's control update, though, if for no other reason than the chance to see what the default controls would look like across the board.

The Widescreen support update is nice but would have been frustratingly underwhelming if it weren't accompanied by the DK music.

A Link to the Snitch said:
Captain Falcon will be announced, no two ways about it.
Perhaps.
Personally, I think CF and Ness are rejoining Jiggly, and Luigi, as unlockables, but if we do see any more profiles, I believe his will be next.

duffey

Taxman said:
But it seems like he overreached, and the delay has burnt him for it. Maybe if he made it MWF, or Tues-Thurs, or something where we get info but don't get this kind of crap. Next he'll be telling us that hitting the home button will bring up the home menu!
Dude if he went MWF or Tuesday and Thursday we'd get the SAME INFORMATION but slower. Try this next time you decide to get e-disappointed over a website; don't visit it for a couple weeks. It works out in the end and you won't be all "WHAT THIS WEBSITE SUCKS NOW GOD I HOPE HE STOPS UPDATING FOR AWHILE."*

*exaggeration on my part

Jiggy

Jiggy37 said:
I know there's something else that's slipping my mind. I'll edit if I think of it.
I remembered, but it doesn't belong in the statistics, so I won't edit it in. The Donkey Kong music is another interesting case of a piece that appears on the Dojo but in my opinion likely isn't the default music for the known DK stage. As the past has gone:

The Yoshi's Story ending theme for the Yoshi's Island stage - Possible default; I lean toward no.
Ridley's theme for Norfair - Probable default. [Edit: Confirmed not by the demo, apparently.]
Ocarina of Time medley for the Bridge of Eldin - Probably not.
Space Armada for Lylat Cruise - Probable.
The Kid Icarus theme for Skyworld - Almost definite.
Go K.K. Rider for Smashville - Confirmed.
Pokemon Stadium/Evolution for Pokemon Stadium 2 - Almost definite.
MGS4 Love Theme for Shadow Moses Island - Possible.
Ashley's theme for Wario Ware - Probably not.
Fire Emblem theme for Castle Siege - Confirmed via the demo.
Meta Knight's Revenge for the Battleship Halberd - Confirmed.
Donkey Kong remix for Rumble Falls - I somehow doubt it.

I still expect that our incoming Mario and Mother music will be a Delfino Plaza remix and something from Mother 3, respectively (as opposed to something significantly more awesome like Gusty Garden Galaxy or full vocal Pollayanna), but after this I won't be surprised if they aren't. As for the PictoChat stage and The Summit, I have no clue.

MegaByte said:
I think you've confused Hip Tanaka with Kazumi Totaka's song.

That reminds me.

Totaka's song better be in this game somewhere.

Like leaving the 'Continue?' screen on for 5 minutes.

Jiggy37 said:
(as opposed to something significantly more awesome like Gusty Garden Galaxy or full vocal Pollayanna)

Don't get me started.

Iam Canadian

and have the worst user name EVER
In all honesty, Jiggy, I don't think Ridley's theme will be the default for Norfair. It will be a My Music option for the level, that much is certain, but I think a different song will be the default. I remember reading somewhere in this behemoth of a thread that the Norfair theme in the demo was the theme of Samus from Super Metroid and something like that or the Lower Norfair theme would be more logical for the default music.

Jiggy

I don't know if anyone else checked, but...

http://www.smashbros.com/en_us/music/music01.html

Yep, there's Hirokazu Tanaka down at the bottom now. I'm pretty sure he's a new addition since I distinctly remember counting only 36 composers and now there are 37.

SuperAngelo64 said:
Don't get me started.
It had better well be in. Accept no substitutes! Not even Good Egg Galaxy plus Jolly Roger Bay plus whatever the name of that SMB3 song that got remixed in Galaxy is will compensate for lack of Gusty Garden.

Iam Canadian said:
In all honesty, Jiggy, I don't think Ridley's theme will be the default for Norfair. It will be a My Music option for the level, that much is certain, but I think a different song will be the default. I remember reading somewhere in this behemoth of a thread that the Norfair theme in the demo was the theme of Samus from Super Metroid and something like that or the Lower Norfair theme would be more logical for the default music.
Ah, okay. Will edit. Actually, this makes me happy, seeing as Norfair already had pretty excellent music. And Samus' theme is of course superb.

Taxman

duffey said:
Dude if he went MWF or Tuesday and Thursday we'd get the SAME INFORMATION but slower. Try this next time you decide to get e-disappointed over a website; don't visit it for a couple weeks. It works out in the end and you won't be all "WHAT THIS WEBSITE SUCKS NOW GOD I HOPE HE STOPS UPDATING FOR AWHILE."*

*exaggeration on my part
No, we wouldn't get the same info, we'd get the good info. I bet he had it all planned out with nice updates for every day until the game launched, but then the delay happened and he had to find something to fill up the extra two months. This is why we have an update talking about 16:9. If he wasn't updating so often we wouldn't be getting that crap, I guarantee you.

Firestorm

perfectchaos007 said:
He really does think of everything. Everything useless!

The update is useless, but 16:9 is quite definitely not useless. SSBM looked amazing on my HDTV and I assume SSBB will too. I was surprised at how good SSBM looked. Looked better than on an SDTV.

Firestorm said:
The update is useless, but 16:9 is quite definitely not useless. SSBM looked amazing on my HDTV and I assume SSBB will too. I was surprised at how good SSBM looked. Looked better than on an SDTV.

Sorry, its just useless for me. I got no LCDs or Plasmas or HDTVs or Wide screens

SantaC

Gold Member
He is the mainstay who has built Nintendo sound since the days of Game & Watch: Hirokazu Tanaka.

He wasn’t included on the list of musicians until now, but he secretly joined the fray!

Hip Tanaka back!!!

Seriously, this is the game that completes the universe.

CreatureX3 said:
'Event Matches' are the original achievments. :D
Actually trophies were the original achievements.

And I think tonight proves they are officially running out of shit to reveal. What, a feature present in almost every other game is also in Smash?! Meh.

NeonZ

IIRC, some of the harder-to-get unlockable characters were revealed on the Melee site after that game was released, so maybe we'll get something similar for SSBB.

Not "some" of the unlockables, every unlockable only was revealed after the game's release in Japan (but some got revealed before the American's release date).

SuomiDude

Suburban Cowboy said:
Actually trophies were the original achievements.

And I think tonight proves they are officially running out of shit to reveal. What, a feature present in almost every other game is also in Smash?! Meh.
So this newly arranged version of DK song is present in almost every other game as well?

Seriously, there's been lots of double or triple updates where only one of the features is worth anything, and they've done so since... long time ago, yet we've got lots of huge news after those. So I'm sure it's not running out of ideas, just to get them out of the way sooner or later.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom