• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Adam Boyes Confirms: Call of Duty: Ghosts is Native 1080p on PS4

Status
Not open for further replies.

J-P

Neo Member
I don't know what the Xbox One resolution of BF4 is... but if it isn't 1080p it's not going to be the same as the ps4 version - or so I hear.

Oh shit. If both COD and BF4 run higher res then it looks like i'll be buying two consoles instead of just the XB1...

I don't know what the Xbox One resolution of BF4 is... but if it isn't 1080p it's not going to be the same as the ps4 version - or so I hear.
iqwojm3.gif

well now..

At the end of the day the only people who are going to really care about this stuff are people on this forum. Your average Joe going to buy a console will probably never hear most of this, or even care if they did hear it.

They will care if their more expensive console has worse graphics, regardless if they can see it or not.

Damn it all I need answers on BF4 res on PS4 here in this COD thread. Not kidding, what console I pick up first may depend on this. I think it will leak soon.

You're telling me BF4 is 1080p in PS4? How sure are you?

I haven't seen it, obviously. People that I trust have and say it is. I don't know that there's a story here as the xbox one version may be also... I haven't talked to anyone who has played that.

Keep in mind that Eurogamer pixel counted Ryse and said it was 1080p and was wrong. This isn't like the Call of Duty thing where the chatter was "720p for xb1, 1080p for ps4."

This is just someone who has played it saying it was 1080p. Was it upscaled? I have no idea. I don't think this is any sort of story, yet.

It doesn't stop there though. From what I'm hearing multiplats being the same resolution will be the exception, not the rule, at launch.

This isn't shocking news though. The xbox one API was late to the party. There is A LOT of evidence that they weren't prepared to launch this early. That will be apparent in the next month.

They will catch up. Or close the distance a bit, atleast. We know the PS4 is more powerful but the xbox one is capable of much more than what we will see at launch.

Damn it all I need answers on BF4 res on PS4 here in this COD thread. Not kidding, what console I pick up first may depend on this. I think it will leak soon.

According to this thread, BF4 on PS4 will have a different res than the xbox one version, assume it will be higher on PS4.

N.Domixis

Banned
Micosoft is trying to hide that their multiplats are inferior, soon we will find out the truth. Can not wait until the day both can be compared first hand. The meltdowns will be glorious.

RetroStu

Banned
I haven't seen it, obviously. People that I trust have and say it is. I don't know that there's a story here as the xbox one version may be also... I haven't talked to anyone who has played that.

Keep in mind that Eurogamer pixel counted Ryse and said it was 1080p and was wrong. This isn't like the Call of Duty thing where the chatter was "720p for xb1, 1080p for ps4."

This is just someone who has played it saying it was 1080p. Was it upscaled? I have no idea. I don't think this is any sort of story, yet.

It doesn't stop there though. From what I'm hearing multiplats being the same resolution will be the exception, not the rule, at launch.

This isn't shocking news though. The xbox one API was late to the party. There is A LOT of evidence that they weren't prepared to launch this early. That will be apparent in the next month.

They will catch up. Or close the distance a bit, atleast. We know the PS4 is more powerful but the xbox one is capable of much more than what we will see at launch.

Do you think these Xbox One problems are time constraints combined with hardware problems then?.
I only ask because i really didn't think the power difference between both consoles was big enough for one console to have 1080p and the other to have 720p on the same game, thats a huge pixel jump and takes a ton of processing power. You would of thought that the PS4 would of needed to be 100% more powerful for that if not more.

mocoworm

A completely grounded, realistic, sensible post which will be completely ignored by most posting after you who will focus on COD and BF at launch.

Goddamn. You certainly know how to keep things interesting around here. Much appreciated.

I'm just happy if it's in 1080 period. BF4 is my most anticipated game and I wasn't even expecting it to run at that.

I likewise don't expect it to be 1080p. I would be very surprised if they managed it on either console, as I could have sworn I remember an interview with them where they were saying, "The resolution isn't locked down yet, but we also want everyone to remember that we have 64 players in a single match..." or some other damage-control sounding talk.

According to this thread, BF4 on PS4 will have a different res than the xbox one version according, assume higher.

I assume it will be higher but does it sound stupid that I can live with 720p compared to 900p but if PS4 is at 1080p then I just can't deal with that difference?
Seriously does it sound stupid? lol I'm playing on a 1080p projector at 100" so I think the difference will be pretty big. I'm a flip flopping machine lately.

RetroStu

Banned
Micosoft is trying to hide that their multiplats are inferior, soon we will find out the truth. Can not wait until the day both can be compared first hand. The meltdowns will be glorious.

I don't think there will be many meltdowns on here to be honest, quite the opposite!.

hmmmm..

yDqS2VK.jpg

mocoworm

I assume it will be higher but does it sound stupid that I can live with 720p compared to 900p but if PS4 is at 1080p then I just can't deal with that difference?
Seriously does it sound stupid? lol I'm playing on a 1080p projector at 100" so I think the difference will be pretty big. I'm a flip flopping machine lately.

If you are only buying for mutilplats (COD / BF) then get PS4.

If you want exclusives then go with the one that appeals with the games you want or just buy both machines.

thekingff

Banned
They will care if their more expensive console has worse graphics, regardless if they can see it or not.

Not necessarily... while the PS3 eventually gained titles that utilized the hardware correctly, it consistently had worse versions of 3rd party games... yet it sold like gangbusters (even after standalone Blu-ray players became more affordable). I think brand loyalty goes a long way in the console world.

Portugeezer

If someone is in enough denial to not expect the differences, then they deserve the forthcoming meltdowns.

Most people expect it differences in favour of the PS4 though.

velociraptor

Not necessarily... while the PS3 eventually gained titles that utilized the hardware correctly, it consistently had worse versions of 3rd party games... yet it sold like gangbusters (even after standalone Blu-ray players became more affordable). I think brand loyalty goes a long way in the console world.
They looked worse but not 500,000 pixels (or even 1,000,000 pixels) worse.

J-P

Neo Member

It's not stupid at all, especially because of your projector. I'm a flip flopper as well, don't feel bad. You could be really stupid like me who cancelled my PS4 pre-order once the 180s went down and now i'm scrambling trying to get one on launch.

So you are hearing PS4 Battlefield has hit 1080p ?

Kind of backed up by the BF4 packageing in the PSN store but still unconfirmed by Dice but this is the same type of packaging which prompted the COD disclosure.

http://www.dualshockers.com/2013/10...s-1080p-on-ps4-requires-1080p-native-display/
Today, while checking the preorder options available on the PSN/Sony Entertainment Network, I noticed something very interesting: as you can see from the screencaps below (showing both the web version of the SEN store and the actual PlayStation Store on PS3), the description of the game claims twice that the video output of the game is 1080p.

That’s a pretty specific statement, not present in a few other listed games, and it could imply that whatever hurdle there was to run the game in 1080p on Sony’s upcoming console, it may have been overcome.

Of course there’s always the possibility of a mistake or that the game doesn’t run at 1080p natively but just the output is upscaled to 1080p, so I’ll chalk this as a rumor until we receive further confirmation, and you should take it with a rather sizable grain of salt as well.

Mr.Speedy

Banned

So, I am not sure if you are familiar with Jack Frags but he has played single and multi player on the PS4 and X1. He dropped some major hints that the two version will be different and we will be surprised at the difference. I don't know whether that means we will be surprised that the X1 version looks better or that we will be surprised at how much better the PS4 version looks.

I can't talk specifics until the 29th but I can say that one of the next gen console versions definitely looks better than the other.
http://www.reddit.com/r/battlefield_4/comments/1p6m71/floodzone_gameplay/cczcmxr?context=3

And finally I think you guys will be very surprised when you see Xbox One vs PS4 footage!
https://twitter.com/jackfrags/status/393692774358204416

Obviously, it looks like the PS4 version is quite a bit better than the X1. Have you heard anything that might suggest the opposite?

Edit: If BF4 looks considerably better on the PS4 than that's the last straw. I think I might actually have to give up on the X1 for these next few years until devs can get their head around the system.

StuBurns

Banned
They looked worse but not 500,000 pixels (or even 1,000,000 pixels) worse.
Early we did have comparable issues actually. Some EA Sports games ran at half the framerate, Bayonetta runs at half the framerate too.

60 to 30 is a similar technical gulf to 720 to 1080p. I'd argue it's worse.

Snaku

Banned

This post is too intellectually reasonable for GAF.

Do you think these Xbox One problems are time constraints combined with hardware problems then?.
I only ask because i really didn't think the power difference between both consoles was big enough for one console to have 1080p and the other to have 720p on the same game, thats a huge pixel jump and takes a ton of processing power. You would of thought that the PS4 would of needed to be 100% more powerful for that if not more.

People much smarter than me point to the eSRAM as being difficult to work with at higher resolutions. Also, yes, Microsoft's tools showed up later than the PS4's and are more difficult to work with. There's a quote from over the summer from some anonymous dev saying that we were going to see resolution differences in games like CoD because of eSRAM.

CBoaT seems to be of the opinion that it will be ironed out over time. Much like the Cell in the PS3 was a nightmare to work with and multiplats suffered... devs finally figured out how to optimize code for it and there was more parity. I agree with boat, I think this will happen with eSRAM and quicker as it's not nearly as convoluted as working with the Cell is.

The Xbox One as a piece of hardware is better than what we will see at launch. The games will get better. The tools will mature. Developers will learn tricks to maximize the eSRAM. The problem for Microsoft is that while developers are figuring out those quirks of the system they will also be learning how to maximize the PS4. It's going to be a constant game of catch up that they can't win. But the idea that games like CoD will be 720p the entire gen is silly... it will get optimized, as will most games. It just takes a bit more work.

Cerny's "time to triangle" thing isn't bullshit. The PS4 is very easy to develop for. That's one of the reasons we will see a big gap at launch.

Gaz_RB

People much smarter than me point to the eSRAM as being difficult to work with at higher resolutions. Also, yes, Microsoft's tools showed up later than the PS4's and are more difficult to work with. There's a quote from over the summer from some anonymous dev saying that we were going to see resolution differences in games like CoD because of eSRAM.

CBoaT seems to be of the opinion that it will be ironed out over time. Much like the Cell in the PS3 was a nightmare to work with and multiplats suffered... devs finally figured out how to optimize code for it and there was more parity. I agree with boat, I think this will happen with eSRAM and quicker as it's not nearly as convoluted as working with the Cell is.

The Xbox One as a piece of hardware is better than what we will see at launch. The games will get better. The tools will mature. Developers will learn tricks to maximize the eSRAM. The problem for Microsoft is that while developers are figuring out those quirks of the system they will also be learning how to maximize the PS4. It's going to be a constant game of catch up that they can't win. But the idea that games like CoD will be 720p the entire gen is silly... it will get optimized, as will most games. It just takes a bit more work.

Cerny's "time to triangle" thing isn't bullshit. The PS4 is very easy to develop for. That's one of the reasons we will see a big gap at launch.

Is it likely that we will be seeing a greater volume of games in general on PS4 over the whole gen due to ease of development?

N.Domixis

Banned
If someone is in enough denial to not expect the differences, then they deserve the forthcoming meltdowns.

Most people expect it differences in favour of the PS4 though.
Not here on gaf, but places like the xbox reddit, that believe what the xboxonedev says. lol

IN&OUT

Banned
So, I am not sure if you are familiar with Jack Frags but he has played single and multi player on the PS4 and X1. He dropped some major hints that the two version will be different and we will be surprised at the difference. I don't know whether that means we will be surprised that the X1 version looks better or that we will be surprised at how much better the PS4 version looks.

http://www.reddit.com/r/battlefield_4/comments/1p6m71/floodzone_gameplay/cczcmxr?context=3

Obviously, it looks like the PS4 version is quite a bit better than the X1. Have you heard anything that might suggest the opposite?

Edit: If BF4 looks considerably better on the PS4 than that's the last straw. I think I might actually have to give up on the X1 for these next few years until devs can get their head around the system.

Isn't it wierd that they show PS4 multiplayer vs X1 single player? seems like PS4 really is pulling ahead of X1.

Snaku

Banned
Is it likely that we will be seeing a greater volume of games in general on PS4 over the whole gen due to ease of development?

Developers seemed much more hesitant to pursue console exclusivity this past gen because of rising costs. I don't think this gen will be much different. I think it will come down to how fast Sony can pump out their own first part titles.

Mr.Speedy

Banned
Isn't it wierd that they show PS4 multiplayer vs X1 single player? seems like PS4 really is pulling ahead of X1.

I found that to be very curious as well. My initial thought was frame rate issues. If that's the case, I think I might stay off of Gaf for the first few weeks after the X1 launch :)

The way he says 'very surprised' it makes me think that it's teh XONE that could look better. I mean, why would we be 'very surprised' if it was PS4... we are totally expecting it to be PS4 and therefore would NOT be 'very surprised'

I wish these ppl would just come out and say.

I know , I know ... NDA etc

Exactly. From what we have seen/heard, it seems like common sense that the PS4 version would be better. Since that is the common sense belief, I don't know why he would say we would be "very surprised". Either way, Oct 29th is going to be a very interesting day.

mocoworm

The way he says 'very surprised' it makes me think that it's teh XONE that could look better. I mean, why would we be 'very surprised' if it was PS4... we are totally expecting it to be PS4 and therefore would NOT be 'very surprised'

I wish these ppl would just come out and say.

I know , I know ... NDA etc

Chobel

Damn!!! Dat political forced parity...

About Ryse, if eurogamer said Ryse was 1080p then definitely the photage they saw was 1080p, we already know that the Ryse combat vidoc was native 1080p not 900p.

Yeah.

Microsoft will always be best at scooping up huge games with deep pockets. But Sony is going to have a much wider catalog.

I see "indies" or, rather, *some* indies morphing into the B/AA level devs of this gen. The games won't have huge budgets so the easier system to develop for (that likely will also have a larger install base) makes a lot of sense for them.

This is speculation, of course. But I think factually as of now there are far more PS4 games announced than Xbox One. Microsoft has huge ass games coming though - Titanfall and Halo next year will be massive (though not many people seem to mention this but the XB1 version of Titanfall will be by far the worst selling of the 3 versions). Sony will have huge games as well... WWS is cranking away.

I wouldn't be surprised if its a ps2/xbox type of thing. I don't mean that in sales but in terms of libraries. PS2 has the breadth... xbox pays for the blockbusters.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom