• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Smash Bros Brawl Dojo Official Update Thread: Goodbye, Cherry-don

Status
Not open for further replies.

Juice

As much as I'd love to read 865 pages to find out, do we know what the control schemes available for this game is?

What schemes will there be, what's the currently preferred one on GAF?

I refuse to use a classic or GameCube controller for it.

Iam Canadian

and have the worst user name EVER
Juice said:
As much as I'd love to read 865 pages to find out, do we know what the control schemes available for this game is?

Wiimote only, Nunchuk and Wiimote, Classic Controller, and Gamecube are all compatible.

All four control styles are completely customizable.

Out of curiosity, why do you refuse to use the best traditional controls?

(Cue a two page controls debate)

Linkhero1

Juice said:

GC controller ftw! :p

Firestorm

Juice said:

Preferred control scheme by normal people with functioning brains is GameCube controller.
You are obviously not a normal person with a functioning brain!

Iam Canadian

Yeah, I shouldn't allow myself to get dragged into a debate, either. I'm trying to work on a paper on Paradise Lost, but I can't resist the siren song of NeoGAF. :/

Edit: And thus, Firestorm unleashes the opening salvo.

Juice

Iam Canadian said:
Wiimote only, Nunchuk and Wiimote, Classic Controller, and Gamecube are all compatible.

All four control styles are completely customizable.

Out of curiosity, why do you refuse to use the best traditional controls?

(Cue a two page controls debate)

1. I own all three consoles, and the main thing that gets me to play the Wii is the novelty and/or innovation of the controller implementation (usually novelty, heh).
2. I wasn't a huge fan of the GameCube version (oddly enough, the controls frustrated me, even though I'll admit they're quite meticulously well thought out).
3. Die-hard Smash Bros. fandom is one of the most unbelievably loyal/stubborn out there. The Nintendo fans I know who are extreme SumaBura advocates are also the ones who opposed the Wii altogether and wish Nintendo had somehow made a high-end console to cater exclusively to them. So as a rule, I try to take their advice and go do the opposite.

Firestorm

Iam Canadian said:
Yeah, I shouldn't allow myself to get dragged into a debate, either. I'm trying to work on a paper on Paradise Lost, but I can't resist the siren song of NeoGAF. :/

Edit: And thus, Firestorm unleashes the opening salvo.

Don't worry people without functioning brains cannot fight back!

God why am I even doing this I should be doing my project.

Anyway, nunchuck/wiimote and wiimote only don't offer any motion work except you can use the nunchuck as a less responsive c-stick if you want. This is a traditional game. And you're right, I'd have much rather Nintendo made an HD system on par with the 360 and couldn't give a damn about motion controls. Although MP3 had great controls, I'd have given that up for an HD experience.

Firestorm said:
Don't worry people without functioning brains cannot fight back!

God why am I even doing this I should be doing my project.

Anyway, nunchuck/wiimote and wiimote only don't offer any motion work except you can use the nunchuck as a less responsive c-stick if you want. This is a traditional game. And you're right, I'd have much rather Nintendo made an HD system on par with the 360 and couldn't give a damn about motion controls. Although MP3 had great controls, I'd have given that up for an HD experience.

Escapism.

Man God

Non-Canon Member
The wavebird will be the best controller for Brawl. This isn't up for debate. Keep crying about your supposed lag, or your lack of rumble. Watch as the price of these beautiful pieces of industrial art skyrockets on EBAY in February. Marvel at the bitter tears cried by those who refuse to use a last gen method of control for this unparalled achievement in gaming.

On the other subject of no preorder bonus. I don't think Brawl needs one. It already has the best web based ad campaign that gaming has ever seen (The Dojo) and I fully expect that some other high profile games in the future will use this model. I do fully expect to see some interesting VC games in the weeks before February 10th. SSB at the least, and possibly KSS or Earthbound or hell, even Mother.

Iam Canadian

Firestorm said:

In all honesty, while I generally prefer standard controls over motion based input, the two exceptions in my mind are Metroid Prime 3 and Galaxy. Corruption had the best controls out of any FPS I've ever played (though I admit I'm not the biggest fan of the genre) and the motion-based switches and buttons were genuinely immersing, which actually surprised me.

As for Galaxy, using the pointer to gather Star Bits made the entire item gathering process much less tedious, though I suppose the same effect could have been accomplished by simply having Star Bits be attracted to Mario, a la the bolts in Ratchet and Clank (for example).

Though I will agree with you on Smash. Wiimote controls don't serve the gameplay well and the secondary positioning of the sticks on the Classic Controller are a limiting factor for Smash. I think that the controls that works best with Smash are in fact, the Gamecube controller, though I'm sure that anyone can master the Wiimote based controls with sufficient practice.

Man, it's kind of interesting going back and forth from talking about how John Milton uses mythological allusions in developing the character of Eve in Paradise Lost to talking about the controls in Smash Bros. >_>

Edit: Fixed some embarrassing (for me, anyway) grammatical errors.

Jiggy

Man God said:
On the other subject of no preorder bonus. I don't think Brawl needs one. It already has the best web based ad campaign that gaming has ever seen (The Dojo) and I fully expect that some other high profile games in the future will use this model.
True enough. It's actually several steps above the Metroid Prime 3 campaign.

I do fully expect to see some interesting VC games in the weeks before February 10th. SSB at the least, and possibly KSS or Earthbound or hell, even Mother.
As much as I'd like this to be true, I wouldn't be surprised if a lot of the good Nintendo first-party games that haven't been put up yet start showing up after Brawl so that they can attract people who became interested specifically because of SSBB... The Fire Emblem effect, basically.

I don't "prefer" either. Games that use motion control well are probably more fun because of it, but games that don't aren't. But this could be said of anything. I couldn't enjoy many games using standard controllers because they just had awful controls.

At this point, it's not like Nintendo's going to take the Wii back and go "Well, shit, we tried the non-HD thing out and it clearly isn't working, so we're going to comp everyone a free HD Wii just because," so complaining about it is kind of pointless. I've been playing a lot of Wii games lately and I don't see Fire Emblem, Mario, Trauma Center, or inevitably Brawl as a lesser experience than my 360 games.

Sciz

Juice said:
1. I own all three consoles, and the main thing that gets me to play the Wii is the novelty and/or innovation of the controller implementation (usually novelty, heh).
2. I wasn't a huge fan of the GameCube version (oddly enough, the controls frustrated me, even though I'll admit they're quite meticulously well thought out).
3. Die-hard Smash Bros. fandom is one of the most unbelievably loyal/stubborn out there. The Nintendo fans I know who are extreme SumaBura advocates are also the ones who opposed the Wii altogether and wish Nintendo had somehow made a high-end console to cater exclusively to them. So as a rule, I try to take their advice and go do the opposite.

For what it's worth, Sakurai once mentioned that he preferred the 'Cube controller, and I think one Dojo update or interview mentioned that the dev team did as well. I could be mixing them up with the NiGHTS team, though.

KevinCow

Banned
I'm not sure what style of control I'm going to use in Brawl. The Wavebird will probably be the most comfortable, but it uses batteries, whereas my Wiimotes have the Nyko rechargeable batteries so I won't have to worry about buying new ones. Then between the Classic Controller and Wiimote and Nunchuk, the CC has a less comfortable analog stick, but the Wiimote and Nunchuk will have a worse button layout.

I guess I'll have to fiddle with all of them once the game comes out and decide if the Wavebird's advantage in comfort is important enough to offset its battery disadvantage.

Linkhero1 said:
:| Last I checked Fox was the one who needed the saving in SF:A :p
That's even worse! The bastard doesn't even help you fight, he just gives you bombs.

I'm trying to get away from using the GC controllers. Not because it's bad, but it's seems like a hassle to put it on and off. Plus, my WB looks kinda bad on it. I think I'll try a modifed Wiimote + Numchuck or Classic.

Man God

Non-Canon Member
Sciz said:
For what it's worth, Sakurai once mentioned that he preferred the 'Cube controller, and I think one Dojo update or interview mentioned that the dev team did as well. I could be mixing them up with the NiGHTS team, though.

Yep. He did. But for an odd reason.

Sakurai said:
The Nintendo Wii really is a versatile piece of hardware.
I mean, when it comes to controllers, there are pretty much four different types.

I guess I have no choice but implement them all!

There’s no need to be confused about what does what—just choose the play style you prefer!

I suppose I would recommend the Nintendo GameCube controller, though. I like the feel of that powerful rumble.

Still, try out the other controls—they definitely give you a fresh experience.

Hmm? How do you do smashes and dashes with just the Wii Remote?
If I get the chance to tell you, I will.

Powerful rumble indeed.

Just about whenever buttons are shown on screen it is the GCN layout shown first.

grandjedi6

Master of the Google Search
I just had a friend talk about how he was going to go pick up the game on Monday. He was so depressed after I broke the news to him.

JohnTinker

Limbaugh Parrot
grandjedi6 said:
I just had a friend talk about how he was going to go pick up the game on Monday. He was so depressed after I broke the news to him.
If it were really coming out on Monday I would not pass any of my exams this next week or the week thereafter. I'm glad it was pushed back for this reason, and for what Perrin called the "Smash Bros. Perfection Program"

JohnTinker said:
If it were really coming out on Monday I would not pass any of my exams this next week or the week thereafter. I'm glad it was pushed back for this reason, and for what Perrin called the "Smash Bros. Perfection Program"
Yeah, all my exams are this week.

Smash would have turned all A's in to B's and C's.

Firestorm

grandjedi6 said:

Ouch. I think I cried about it to everyone who knew me even if they had no idea what I was talking about. So yeah, they should be safe.

Well, this is how my December 3rd has been.

When I first found out my class schedule.
"Holy crap! No school on Mondays. December 3rd is the last day of school and I have no classes that day! Smash comes out December 3rd! Only exam is on the 14th! BEST WEEK AND A HALF EVER!!!"

Now:
"Shit. 4 projects due the week of December 3rd. No smash. Work for 66% of the weekend. I'm so screwed and why the heck am I on GAF"

Firestorm said:
Ouch. I think I cried about it to everyone who knew me even if they had no idea what I was talking about. So yeah, they should be safe.

Well, this is how my December 3rd has been.

When I first found out my class schedule.
"Holy crap! No school on Mondays. December 3rd is the last day of school and I have no classes that day! Smash comes out December 3rd! Only exam is on the 14th! BEST WEEK AND A HALF EVER!!!"

Now:
"Shit. 4 projects due the week of December 3rd. No smash. Work for 66% of the weekend. I'm so screwed and why the heck am I on GAF"

As much as I'm for a bit of fun and delaying work, I think you may need to do something.

Iam Canadian

Firestorm said:
Now:

GAF has a way of sucking you in whenever you're trying to do something remotely productive. My paper I just finished took several hours longer than it should have thanks to NeoGAF.

No joke. I have 4 papers due by Tuesday, and I'm on here instead of working on them.

And people say the internet helps with research papers. Pfft.

Sciz

GAF has a way of sucking you in whenever you're trying to do something remotely productive. My paper I just finished took several hours longer than it should have thanks to NeoGAF.
No joke. I have 4 papers due by Tuesday, and I'm on here instead of working on them.

This is part of why I'm not in college this year.

Don't be like me guys. ;(

Keru_Shiri said:

Have two 2 page papers due Monday and one 6 pager do Wednesday and finals in two weeks. but i'm here :(.

Just think:

This time tomorrow we could've been holding Brawl in our hands.

Also, I wish "Mustache and Barrel and Gorilla" from Mario DDR was in this game. I honestly think it's a better remix than the Donkey Kong remix in Brawl.

I totally forgot about Mario DDR songs. I'm not much for 'Techno' kind've songs, but they had a few awesome Mario remixes in that game.

Holy shit.. especially the Mario Kart 64 title screen remix...

Yeah, you know I LOVE the Brawl soundtrack so far but I pray that it ends up offering mp3 support.

Rambaldi

SuperAngelo64 said:
Yeah, you know I LOVE the Brawl soundtrack so far but I pray that it ends up offering mp3 support.

Knowing Nintendo, it would be AAC. >.<

But who the hell cares? I'd convert songs for Brawl. I'd sell my body soul for Brawl.

KevinCow said:
I'm hoping Monday's MEGATON update is:

entry_banner.jpg

kawashima_brawl.jpg
That would be awesome! :lol

I predict Newcomer : Michael Jackson. Double update : Smooth Criminal.

Seriously though, I expect an ordinary update, but if Sakurai had to do something special, I guess he'd tell us about some collector edition/preorder bonus. That and a double update for something that would have more to do with the game itself.

Dever

Banned
Who else thinks Amaterasu(From Okami) would fit perfectly as a Smash character? They are making a Wii Okami now, it could happen... If only it wasn't released after SSBB. :p

Linkhero1

Tonights update is going to be:

"Hey guys! Remember how I said Brawl is delayed until February 10th? I LIED!"

"Go and get your copy on Monday Dec. 3rd"

JCX

Linkhero1 said:
Tonights update is going to be:

"Hey guys! Remember how I said Brawl is delayed until February 10th? I LIED!"

"Go and get your demo on Monday Dec. 3rd"

fixed for slightly more realism

Jiggy

Update type: Notice

Preorder Bonus

Starting next week, if you preorder Super Smash Bros. Brawl, you'll receive a special gift.

venus-vibrance.jpg

It's... a girl's razor! Wh-what can this mean?

modea07_071005f-l.jpg

Previously, in the Team update, I talked about the Easy difficulty, saying "It will be quite easy indeed." But if you choose Intense, well, the challenge level will be so high that even the toughest of men will be made to cry and literally turn into girls until they can conquer it. You should be prepared to adjust to this new lifestyle.

whimper.jpg

Amazing! Is this the work of the magician from Super Ghouls 'n Ghosts?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom