• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PS4 Hardware Troubleshooting / Q&A Thread

Sheroking

Only issue I've had so far as the system randomly turning on and off a few times in succession.

Had to go through the system check/safemode thing. Seems fine, though.

Sykotik

Did it fix it? Were you getting white light or blue light during this time?

Mine would start blue, then after a short amount of time, go White. It functioned how it was supposed to, other than it was not giving a video signal.

Edit: Yeah, it fixed it.

JackHerer

So something is either wrong with my Killzone game or my BD Drive.
When playing Killzone this is the message that I get, also there is no way as it's an HDD problem, since this happened both on the stock HDD, and on the upgraded 1TB SSHD.

cnjthgf.jpg

halp :c

I had the same issue with my Killzone disc. I just tried it a few times and it eventually worked fine. The console also randomly logged my profile out with an error message for no apparent reason. Definitely a few kinks to work out with the OS.

Baby Milo

Well, Sony. If you need any pin-benders, let me know. I won't work week-ends.

I managed to bend mine back in to place, but I don't know if I want to keep this unit, now.

i would just enjoy launch/Christmas and send it in to Sony before Infamous drops

Coercionist

Neo Member
Well, I managed to get past the flashing blue light. Tried multiple HDMI cables and nothing was working, but I then tried to start it up in safe mode and it actually started outputting video. Used the restart PS4 option from safe mode and now it's able to turn on fine. Was able to update to 1.5 as well.

I do have a new issue now though, where the ps4 won't correctly return from standby mode. Pressing the PS button makes the light change from orange and it goes back to flashing blue without outputting video, and I have to manually turn the system off.

Y2Kev

TLG Fan Caretaker Est. 2009
Mine would start blue, then after a short amount of time, go White. It functioned how it was supposed to, other than it was not giving a video signal.

Edit: Yeah, it fixed it.

This is great! We are really establishing a pattern now. I mean, sorry you are the guinea pig. :)

If you get blue light, you have to try to force it into safe mode. If that doesn't work, send it in.

If you get white light, you might be able to fix your console by finagling with the HDMI port.

Colbert

Banned
Holy fuck. 1TB solid state drive? That had to cost more than the console itself.

I assume - and wish him - that he is using a hybrid not a pure SSD - therefore he is using SSHD term instead of SSD term - , so it is not that expensive like it were with a pure SSD.

Loudninja

Mine came from them in a massive box with a bunch of bubble pocket packaging.
Same,I assume we both in Chicago correct?

I dont think that matters though.

This is great! We are really establishing a pattern now. I mean, sorry you are the guinea pig. :)

If you get blue light, you have to try to force it into safe mode. If that doesn't work, send it in.

If you get white light, you might be able to fix your console by finagling with the HDMI port.
This is good!

turtle553

Mine came from them in a massive box with a bunch of bubble pocket packaging.

I got one from Amazon where the PS4 box was laying flat on the bottom with all the bubble bags on top. Not sure if that would offer much protection for a dropped package

Is that how everyone else got it from Amazon?.

Just to be clear, when I pick mine up on Thursday...

Do you guys suggest booting it up not connected to the internet, turning it off, then booting into Safe Mode to install via USB or should I just boot it into safe mode the first time I turn it on and install there?

Also having trouble:

-Unpacked PS4
-Immediately swapped HDD
-Powered ON
-It went into Safe Mode automatically and asked for System Software
-Put in USB, and it gave me an error
-Rebooted into Safe Mode manually by holding button
-Still wouldn't take the 1.5 update
-Rebooted into Safe Mode again
-See no option for Formatting HDD

Anyone have any ideas?

bigmf

My only problem is a dodgy connection with the earpiece to the ds4. I assume account settings will get sorted in the next few days.

RaikuHebi

Banned
On the subject of Bubble-Wrap:
Could it have got beat up like that in the box?
it's possible. amazon shipped it in a huge oversized box with only a few air pillows so plenty of space to flop around.
______________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

Also having trouble:

-Unpacked PS4
-Immediately swapped HDD
-Powered ON

Anyone have any ideas?
Your problem could be that you're trying to install the update when it wants the original firmware.

Y2Kev

TLG Fan Caretaker Est. 2009
Also having trouble:

-Unpacked PS4
-Immediately swapped HDD
-Powered ON

Anyone have any ideas?

It doesn't boot outside of safe mode?

Donthizz#

Also having trouble:

-Unpacked PS4
-Immediately swapped HDD
-Powered ON

Anyone have any ideas?

did you format the USB ?

JackHerer

I got one from Amazon where the PS4 box was laying flat on the bottom with all the bubble bags on top. Not sure if that would offer much protection for a dropped package

Is that how everyone else got it from Amazon?.

Mine had bubble packs on the bottom and top. Large fragile sticker on top as well.

Kagari

Crystal Bearer
Also having trouble:

-Unpacked PS4
-Immediately swapped HDD
-Powered ON

Anyone have any ideas?

Make sure your USB drive is in FAT32.

I still can't believe that the HDMI cable would brick the PS4.

When I first got it hooked up I booted it and I wasn't getting any video. So i unplugged the HDMI and replugged it. The second boot worked, it gave me the PS logo and everything and then it got to the screen where it tells you to connect your DS4 to the USB. As I was getting the USB out of the packaging the screen with blank and my console light was white. I held down the power button reboot it and i've never got to the boot logo again. Stupid flashing blue light of death.

gazele

Banned
so when i try to boot in safe mode i don't hear a second beep but the light bar on the controller flashes white, is that what its supposed to do?

Never mind, i don't think its related

Also having trouble:

-Unpacked PS4
-Immediately swapped HDD
-Powered ON

Anyone have any ideas?
Did you try a different usb drive? It has trouble reading some of them. Should also be formatted first if you've used it before.

I'm using the only USB I have that fits! (lol, wakka wakka, etc.) The gap between the two layers of the PS4 chasis is thin.

It looks like it's taking the Recovery file now! So now we can surmise that the CE-34788-0 error is that the PS4 is being given the wrong file, and/or that the OS isn't even on the HDD to begin with.

ALSO: I didn't choose "Update System Software" while in Safe Mode. I did the very last option, which I think was "System Initialization".

LiquidMetal14

hide your water-based mammals
Also having trouble:

-Unpacked PS4
-Immediately swapped HDD
-Powered ON

Anyone have any ideas?

Did you DL the big recovery 900~MB update file and put it in the PS4/UPDATE/ folder?

Karak

First one was bricked so taking it back but I have to wonder how normal peeps are going to figure all this stuff out.

Purchased: Best Buy
Problem: Either fan wasn't working or something was as I was getting errors indicating overheating.

D4rkShaDoWz

Neo Member
Hey guys, maybe one of you can help me out:

I updated my PS4 to 1.50 through my USB stick and I'm on the latest firmware. Like most of you, I cannot log into PSN. Is there any problem with opening up my games and installing them while the PSN is down? Just so I'm ready for whenever PSN decides to go online. And are these installs tied to a specific user?

Thanks so much!!

Kagari

Crystal Bearer
Hey guys, maybe one of you can help me out:

I updated my PS4 to 1.50 through my USB stick and I'm on the latest firmware. Like most of you, I cannot log into PSN. Is there any problem with opening up my games and installing them while the PSN is down? Just so I'm ready for whenever PSN decides to go online. And are these installs tied to a specific user?

Thanks so much!!

PSN is down, yes.

John Harker

Definitely doesn't make things up as he goes along.

well that's what ive been saying :)

I'm not making this up, I was literally told by Sony they know it's an issue.

Sean

Banned
Crappy pic, but you can see raised metal in the bottom of my HDMI port:

Any tips on how to push it back down in place, or should I even bother? I'm sort of afraid that even if I fix it myself this will pop up again in the future.

Just battled an hour and a half of traffic to get home and this fucking thing won't sign on to PSN. Royally pissed off.

Is it my imagination or does the extreme focus on always connected to PSN for so many basic functions seem like a form of DRM? Yes I get you can do singleplayer and it's nowhere near the clusterfuck the original XBone plan was geared towards, but it seems like many people are needing PSN to do much of anything at this point.

Makki

I am innnnnnn fuck me this PSN log in was painful. Didnt do any tricks to get in either just tried over and over

Top Bottom