• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PS4 Hardware Troubleshooting / Q&A Thread

wowlace

Not good news for users and Sony. Sony will have to make this up somehow to the users they have failed. Some kind of compensation is needed for the peeps that have payed to beta test their hardware.

Simple repair/swap for working unit isn't acceptable considering waiting for the launch and the limited availability of consoles. I think users with faulty boxes should receive working units before people in line for a console preorder.

Nokagi

Unconfirmed Member
Here's the kicker:

Paid w/ Amazon "Giftcard" so there wouldn't be any payment issues, and now I'm being told that they can't refund to my debit card (that paid for the giftcard on the same account/e-mail), only back as an Amazon giftcard. I rarely shop on Amazon. LOL this can't get any worse.

Crap I hadn't even thought of that. I also paid with a gift card. Ughhh.. fuck.

Boke1879

Not good news for users and Sony. Sony will have to make this up somehow to the users they have failed. Some kind of compensation is needed for the peeps that have payed to beta test their hardware.

Simple repair/swap for working unit isn't acceptable considering waiting for the launch and the limited availability of consoles. I think users with faulty boxes should receive working units before people in line for a console preorder.

What?

npa189

Hardware related - the disk feeder sounds AWFUL when I put in/take out a disk.
Anyone else hear this? Not a huge deal, but it's distracting from the overall perfection of this work of art console.
Hopefully it'll either sort itself out, or there'll be a YouTube video showing how to fix this at some point.

Exact same problem, it sounds like plastic grinding. It hasn't been an issue, but nagging at the back of my mind. I bought the PSN warranty just in case.

Sinfamy

I'm disappointed that I can't get DTS 5.1 or Dolby 5.1 to work. Neither PCM or Bitstream change the options.

I had the issue where the system just sits there with the blue light flashing after updating the firmware via the internet. Here's how I fixed it.

1. Pulled the power cord after waiting for 15 minutes to make sure nothing was happening in the background

2. Reconnected power and booted to safe mode. I think it did it automatically but if it doesn't just hold the power button down after the startup beep till the DS4's light glows orange.

3. In safe mode I selected 'Update via Internet' or something to that effect.

4. Wait for the update to happen (for whatever reason it is MUCH slower in safe mode).

5. After the update it just works for me. I've spent a couple of hours on Killzone, a full hour in playroom and I watched an episode of Archer on Netflix. I was able to connect to PSN after a few tries. Everything seems stable and very nice.

I'm no engineer but my guess is that it tries to connect to Sony servers after updating the firmware and if it can't, it just fails. Doing it via safe mode somehow skirts that entire issue.

Schrade

This thread is not for your type of post. Please stop and post elsewhere.

inner-G

Banned
Yeah I'm getting pretty pissed.

These are widespread problems that should have been caught.

My time is valuable too, just replacing the broken sysyem doesn't really even out the inconvenience and disappointment.

Could it be the way Amazon are handling the units themselves? Are they packed well enough.

(waiting for mine from amazon uk so yeah......)

I just received mine two hours ago, took me 1.5 hours just to rewire the entertainment center so I could hook it up and it's still a fire hazard behind the TV.

Anyway, I do not think it was packaged very well. The box it came in was about 2ft by 2ft by 1.5ft and only lightly filled with bubble wrap. You could hear the entire PS4 box sliding around inside. The PS4 itself is also not packaged tightly inside the PS4 box itself either, which is a bit odd for a new electronic product.

Mine is working so far, but oddly would not accept the update over USB storage I just kept getting an error. I'm guessing it just doesn't recognize the drive since it is actually an adapter for a microSD card.

I did not use the HDMI that came bundled for the simple reason that it does not have any ferrite cores attached. I always get handshake issues on my old CRT without them.

big_z

I am not sure, but I read somewhere that that the issues might be connected to people using their own HDMI cables? Somebody's unit worked after he used the packed cable. Does this pattern apply to the people in this thread?

It's not an hdmi issue. Yes some hdmi ports have metal bent the wrong way but there are bigger hardware problems hitting most people.

Any idea of how widespread the issues are and what the main issue actually is? Is it the HDMI port really cause all these problems?

It's not an hdmi issue. Yes some hdmi ports have metal bent the wrong way but there are bigger hardware problems hitting most people.

I guess it's not the HDMI, then? That would make sense since there also seems to be consoles getting bricked while downloading something.

Knock on wood since I've been playing Killzone for 4 hours with no issue. Hopefully this gets pinpointed and Sony can handle it. Disappointing.

JdFoX187

Banned
Well, my Amazon system just came in. No problems, thus far. Gave it a good look over and handled it very gently. So I'm safe, for the moment, knock on wood. Good luck to everyone else.

ElTorro

I wanted to dominate the living room. Then I took an ESRAM in the knee.
I'm no engineer but my guess is that it tries to connect to Sony servers after updating the firmware and if it can't, it just fails. Doing it via safe mode somehow skirts that entire issue.

This is at least not impossible.

People with problems should try to boot the PS4 without ethernet and WiFi connection (by removing the ethernet cable or disabling the WiFi access point). It might very well be that the console is being blocked by trying to reach PSN. If no internet connection is present at all, it might default to an "offline" mode.

foxbeldin

Thousands of bricked units is expected, and it still remains a low failure rate.
I think it's gonna be more than just 0.4%, maybe 2-3% already, which is still ok.

The unlucky ones are gonna complain so you'll hear about them more than the majority.

Symptom: Froze after restart during PATCH INSTALL

Solution: Let it sit for about 15-20 minutes while the light on the system was pulsing. Figured it shouldn't take this long. Pushing the 'eject' button would make a "no disc in here beep" but the power button did nothing.

Unplugged the system, let it sit for 30 seconds, plugged back in. Started in Safe Mode, chose top option (I think it was 'restart' or something) and it booted back up, logged in to PSN and started playing ACIV. System settings says I'm on 1.50.

Nothing special, but in case people were wondering, I don't think the install (not the download, I did it from USB) should take more than 5-10 minutes.

ElTorro

I wanted to dominate the living room. Then I took an ESRAM in the knee.
There is a million units out there and you think 500.000 are bricked? I think you need to go home because you are drunk sir.

Statistics and human perception/intuition are generally incompatible, yes.

If Sony shipped 1.000.000 PS4s on day one and 1% of these turn out to be defective, we are talking about 10.000 defective units. If only 10% of these people report those issues on the internet, we have 1000 people running to places like GAF or the PlayStation boards. So it's still too early to be genuinely concerned. Sucks for those people who are affected though.

NeoUltima

So I received a PS4. As I was setting up the internet connection the system just shut off...I turned it back on, and my tv was having problems detecting the source for like 10 seconds. Then the PS4 went in to safe mode and did something. It's been fine since, but should I be concerned? I wonder if Sony's special dedicated network chip in the system has issues since the system shut off literally as I connected to the internet for the first time. Hoping it was just a crazy software glitch.

I'm also kind of mad that the system has a nice chip on it. Like some factory worker bumped it into a wall or dropped it. :|

Statistics and human perception/intuition are generally incompatible, yes.

If Sony shipped 1.000.000 PS4s on day one and 1% of these turn out to be defective, we are talking about 10.000 defective units. If only 10% of these people report those issues on the internet, we have 1000 people running to places like GAF or the PlayStation boards. So it's still too early to be genuinely concerned. Sucks for those people who are affected though.

Yeah it really does, hope they get a new system soon.

yami4ct

Thousands of bricked units is expected, and it still remains a low failure rate.
I think it's gonna be more than just 0.4%, maybe 2-3% already, which is still ok.

The unlucky ones are gonna complain so you'll hear about them more than the majority.

I think the failure rate is probably within accepted ranges, but it certainly seems like it's higher than .4%. Not only did I get a brick console, I also know 2 other people with bricked systems as well. I honestly don't know many people who bought PS4s, so either the failure rate is like 5%+ or my luck is insane.

jetjevons

Bish loves my games!
I'm not hearing any sort of fan. Is it on during OS operation or just games? Making me nervous.

Had a heart in my mouth moment when I first booted up and my system wouldn't recognize the controller no matter what I did. A few hard resets later it finally tagged.

wonkyaddict

Neo Member
Well, my console from Amazon only flashed the blue light. Just got off the phone with Sony guy and he didn't sound too surprised. Actually, he sounded a little shell-shocked. At least I'm getting a return box next week.

reKon

Banned
At the moment it is more about 25% (54 of 209 one star reviews) on the standard launch edition.

Source: http://www.amazon.com/PlayStation-4...UTF8&showViewpoints=1&sortBy=byRankDescending

BECAUSE PEOPLE ARE MORE LIKELY TO POST ON THE INTERNET TO COMPLAIN ABOUT SOMETHING FAULTY. I'm not denying there's an issue, but seriously you guys need to use your head here. We won't know what the failure rate is for some time.

Anyways, I just installed the 1.50 update and have been enjoying this peaceful music. Wish me luck!

I'm going to try everything in my power to get my PS4 to work!

Hillzones got his to work when it was just a flashing blue light...THERE'S STILL HOPE...

This is at least not impossible.

People with problems should try to boot the PS4 without ethernet and WiFi connection (by removing the ethernet cable or disabling the WiFi access point). It might very well be that the console is being blocked by trying to reach PSN. If no internet connection is present at all, it might default to an "offline" mode.

That's actually a good idea. The good thing is these appear to be software/firmware issues for most people. Those are the sort that can fixed pretty easily

inter

So uh, I just set it up and started playing NBA 2K14. I paused to look at the settings and less than 30 seconds later it just completely shut itself off. Tried to turn it back on, it pulsates blue (no video) then appears to shut back off.

Do I try safe mode or something else

Edit: It looks like it just tried to turn itself back on with no input from, started pulsating blue again, and has stopped again.

I only know one person who got a PS4 aside from myself, and theirs was a brick out of the box more or less. Did EVERYTHING, getting a coffin sent to him.

Mine has been fine actually. Took a few times to get into PSN but thats not hardware related. Played some COD, Resogun, Killzone, Need for Speed, and NBA 2k14 and not one issue. *knockonwood* I'd be lying if I all these post all over the internet don't have me nervous though.

Colbert

Banned
BECAUSE PEOPLE ARE MORE LIKELY TO POST ON THE INTERNET TO COMPLAIN ABOUT SOMETHING FAULTY. I'm not denying there's an issue, but seriously you guys need to use your head here. We won't know what the failure rate is for some time.

Anyways, I just installed the 1.50 update and have been enjoying this peaceful music. Wish me luck!

You have put my answer out of its context. As you know I have answered the guy that had the 50% failure rate claim based on Amazon. I just wanted to show that that claim is not valid based on the numbers/ratings there.

Vandiger

Welp, my unit is DOA. I'm angry since I ordered this from Amazon and I'll have to deal with Sony Support. I had bad luck with the 360 but this one seals the deal for no more first year hardware :p

Top Bottom