• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Manga News/Discussion |OTX| Attack on Titles

Status
Not open for further replies.

GManDH

HSDK

Now it would be awesome if the Ryzamptou defeats all these leaders around the world, but that would be too OP. At the same time if they only fight the top people that would be dumb, so could they maybe recruit other people as well?

BatDan

Bane? Get them on board, I'll call it in.
Fullmetal Alchemist Volume 1

So far so good.
Edward is pretty awesome, having all kinds of alchemy skills for every situation. He's the right kind of asshole that plays both sides but always in favor of the good.
Alphonse is a lot of fun, working perfectly as the straight man to his brother's angry antics.
I think this series is going to be fun.

By the way, I have never seen a single episode of the anime. Neither the 2003 one or Brotherhood. Basically, I'm going in blind.

Sakura Sakura 1-11
An interesting romantic comedy. It takes place in a world where Japan's fertility rate have dropped to near zero levels and the remaining children are called "Last Gen" while the scientifically engineered children are called "New Gen". Some of the remaining "Last Gen" kids are relocated to a school. So far, only 3 students enrolled. The only guy at the school seems to be herbivourous at first but it seems that that might change in the next few chapters. I also like the contrast between the normal highschool life and the oppression and lack of freedom these kids have. It seems carefree but their lives are constrained to borders and they are expected to reproduce though they are doing it in a sort of natural way. I would have liked to see some strained relations between the new gen and last gen, but it doesn't seem that deep of a manga. Hope it progresses soon instead of dawdling in their relationship.

Ore ga Akuma de, Aitsu ga Yome de

ZguSgrwl.jpg

A demon who grants wishes in exchange for people's remaining years gets into a contact with a young girl who wishes for him to marry her.

If you are looking for an adorable romance series that leaves you with warm feelings, here's another one for you!

Yes, this was pretty cute and adorable. The ending was a bit weak but definitely had that whole whoops we got cancelled! which is only the downer part of this otherwise adorable series.

Monster 1-32
This is very interesting. The mystery of the deaths is quite interesting, especially with all the deaths framing Tenma. Tenma is quite the interesting character as well. The way that he hasn't killed anybody despite having amazing skills and no fear for death. It pushes some sort of concept that the protagonists have only one major sin stained on them; their failure to stop Johan. I like that Tenma takes the time to save any person unless they will bring upon more death.The background developed with the staff at the orphanage is quite interesting. Johan is a great symbol of evil. The lack of development in Jonah makes him more of a force than a character. He is the embodiment of chaos.

Aizo

Banned
Wow i already have more posts than the last thread but Dakku is a machine, he have almost double the posts i have and i'm in top10.

I honestly don't know how to view the top posters. I'm still a newbie. I remember that I've seen it before, but I don't remember how...

Help me.
I'm ashamed.

Some of the latest manga I've read

Koe no Katachi
Heartwarming story between the bully hyperactive kid of a school and a new, deaf girl that comes to the school. It has an interesting character growth phase for the protagonist, it really puts you in his place.

14 Sai no Koi
Shojo(or josei?)/SOL with two 14 years old kids. Both are known to be "mature", in comparison with their school mates, and they kind of are, but are still novice in love and their relationship is held secret. It has an episodic/Slice of life nature in the narrative flow, it jumps in time and from story to story sometimes.

Bonnouji
Seinen romance. Quirky but lovable adult couple, with a relation that advances at good pace! It's four volumes, I think, so it doesn't waste time with misunderstandings.

All Rounder Meguru
The best manga about MMA from a technical standpoint out there, you can see clearly all the techniques and grapples, and how the movement goes from one panel to another. Pity the characters are kind of bland, and there is not interesting plots outside the matches. I would like to see Meguru in school, I confess. Still, good enough sports series.

Innocent
Great drawing for a dark story in the times of French Revolution, with the family of the Royal Executioner as protagonist. Only one volume, for now.

Ichi vol 0
Prequel to the famous Ichii the killer manga, it's a bit lacking in comparison with the original work. Just a curiosity for fans.

Game Over
Short story of the same author as 14 sai no Koi, this time about a couple with an important age difference. They way they meet and start to go out is sogood.gif.

Natsu no Zenjitsu
Another seinen romance. This time about a university painter, finishing his Arts career, and a older woman that fancies him, who works in a art gallery. A passionate relation, truly, not exactly platonic. The guy is a bit unnerving: he is the typical brooding, depressed artist, that strives for his art to be TRUE, etc etc, but his relation with another woman and his couple makes for an interesting triangle.

Horimiya
Shojo a bit more typical than I usually read, but still it advances at a decent rhythm, the characters won't wait until volume 15 to be together if you know what I mean. The shtick here is how both protagonists aren't what they seem: She is a beautiful high school blonde, the type people think it's all day going out with friends, talking about boys, shopping and buying make up, but in reality she takes care of his little brother and is very home oriented, and him seems the typical timid guy, but in truth he is an aficionado to piercings and tattoos.

Teppu
The other MMA manga, this time an all female affair with a much more interesting main character, very talented with some slight sadistic tendencies and dark twists whos fun to follow.

Shamo
I'm reading this a bit by pure inertia, it should have ended time ago. The way the author closed the previous arc and started the new one was hilarious, he just killed several secondary characters in a few pages. The two dumb brothers that are protagonists now are an eyesore, I don't like them.

Qualia the Purple
A surprise, an intriguing mystery/thriller story about one girl and her friend who sees everyone as robots. Which sounds... wacky, but the story turns to a serious one. I don't want to see anything more, as the surprise is worth it.

Aizo

Banned
I recall that Innocent one an award or two this year. That's what brought it to my attention. I will start reading it when more than two volumes are out.

Antiwhippy

the holder of the trombone
Have you read Karate Shoukoushi Kohinata Minoru?

Not as realistic as all rounder meguru (though it tries to be somewhat technical), and it's not really about MMA either (it goes there, but it's more about full contact karate), but it has infinitely more interesting characters than all-rounder meguru.

No, I don't know Karate Shoukoushi... mm 22 volumes right now?? 50 volumes in total??? Damn, a long one.

I will read a few chapters, and see if I like it.

Interesting how 6 of my last series are romances, that's a higher ratio than I imagined.

Oh yeah, and I dropped Fourteen some weeks ago. I reached half the story, and then I cheated and ran the last chapters, so see how it ended.

Btw, I'm a huge Eden fan, that's why I started Meguru.

Antiwhippy

Ore ga Akuma de, Aitsu ga Yome de

This really straddles the line between being really cute and being really, REALLY creepy.

Still, mostly cute for most of it, except for that ending.

bjork

Tokyopop fought the good fight backed by shitty business practices. They struck so much fear into Viz that we got titles like Whistle and Brave Firefighter Daigo licensed. Now they are super conservative and won't even license the top half of Jump. Kodansha is also mega conservative.

I remember when Tokyopop first starter to falter. For awhile you couldn't get reprints of older volumes of things, but then they had done a small re-label process to place the logo on the spines of volumes more prominently, so we thought it was just that. Then volumes fell out of print and simply never came back. I remember having a customer request for GTO #6 that I tried to fill every week for over a year. Then the licenses started dropping left and right, and sad days. At least with the DVDs, we knew Funi was picking some stuff up and things like Initial D got proper releases.

Aizo

Banned
Tokyopop fought the good fight backed by shitty business practices. They struck so much fear into Viz that we got titles like Whistle and Brave Firefighter Daigo licensed. Now they are super conservative and won't even license the top half of Jump. Kodansha is also mega conservative.

Vertical is definitely the best manga publisher North America has.

Kokushi Musou!! 2
BZSFZTfCEAAs9S1.png

Welp indeed, sometimes the art is just plain weird at times. Otherwise good developments and progress on establishing his past history and motives. I hope the martial arts is actually going to be good, often times simple punches and kicks in the genre end up rather dull looking. Ro needs to come along as well.

87 Clockers 01-03

SuTQc49l.jpg

A romance series from the same author of Nodame Cantabile and it is about overclocking computers!

Well besides the subject matter, it is still the beginning of a decent romance series. The computer stuff is pretty interesting and it isn't so in depth to the point where it goes over my head.

Antiwhippy

Oh shit, someone decided to pick this up again?

I was afraid that it would be stuck in "no translation" limbo forever.

LeleSocho

Banned
87 Clockers 01-03

SuTQc49l.jpg

A romance series from the same author of Nodame Cantabile and it is about overclocking computers!

Him: "I bought you an Haswell with Iris Pro"

Her: "I-Is this a confession?

Him: "Yes but i swear that if you'll marry me i'll give you the highest end Skylake and i'll overclock it with liquid nitrogen just for you..."

Her: *swoon*

Tacitus_

Fullmetal Alchemist Volume 1

So far so good.
Edward is pretty awesome, having all kinds of alchemy skills for every situation. He's the right kind of asshole that plays both sides but always in favor of the good.
Alphonse is a lot of fun, working perfectly as the straight man to his brother's angry antics.
I think this series is going to be fun.

By the way, I have never seen a single episode of the anime. Neither the 2003 one or Brotherhood. Basically, I'm going in blind.

You're in for a ride. I think it's one of the few (if not only) series that was discussed behind spoiler bars every time a chapter was released.

87 Clockers 01-03

SuTQc49l.jpg

Well besides the subject matter, it is still the beginning of a decent romance series. The computer stuff is pretty interesting and it isn't so in depth to the point where it goes over my head.

this is back? nice

Kave_Man

come in my shame circle
You're in for a ride. I think it's one of the few (if not only) series that was discussed behind spoiler bars every time a chapter was released.

Didn't that have more to do with the series ending?

Well I guess we'll find out when Naruto and Bleach finish up...or not.

In 20 years when our kids have taken over for all of us we'll see if they spoiler tag for the end of One Piece.

Bokura no Negai 6

Finally happening between Take and Kento was the best thing ever, though it needs to be revisited since it was just the result of disagreement about jobs he's doing. Otherwise the ending scene at the shop between the others was massively hilarious. If only this series was published more often.

Zai x 10 04

This masterful role reversal.

Silva 41

That service shot.

Senyuu Vol.2 9

YgBu9wdl.jpg

And also, Mr. Manly Man is back!

Rin-ne 159

Creepy cicadas.

Ten Count 3

Badump Badump badump, its finally going in that direction.

The bookstore part was odd, maybe next time I go to a brick and mortar legacy bookseller (well their all like >50miles away) Ill see if people do in fact not grab the top book and etc.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom