• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PS4 sells through 1 million units on Day 1 in NA, best start in PS / console history

mujun

I think I know what you're after.

The long wait for Goku to arrive is finally over, and while everyone expected him to be strong, no one realized he had been training in over a hundred times Earth's gravity during the long delay en-route to Namek. After a jaw-dropping display of strength, completely devastating the most powerful opponents Earth's defenders have ever witnessed, he seems poised to fulfill the nigh-forgotten prophecy of the Legendary Super-Station.

I don't get the joke.

What I want is some context. Cheerleaders can cheerlead but I have no idea how much of an achievement this is and hope somebody can make it clear (Road? Parmenides? Opiate?)

It's the same as when CoD or GTA numbers from first week sales come up in the news. The numbers alone never sound impressive to me without some context and a bar for comparison.

Can we stop giving Gies and Kuchera so much unwarranted attention for their shit tweets.I'm expecting value adding next year (HDD increase and/or game bundling), and a proper price drop in 2015, probably ahead of GT7.

I expect Microsoft to try to get to $399 while remaining profitable. This either means waiting longer or dropping Kinect. I don't think they are prepared to take significant losses for Xbox anymore.
It really does depend on how bad it gets at $499.

If they feel their largest market being threatened in a big way I can see them willing to take a loss to try to maintain relevancy. But I also see Sony being completely ready to answer that move. So... if it gets bad... MS is kind of up shit creek.

It just can't be true!

Believe! Sold out everywhere now. I could have gotten one on Friday but looked yesterday and all the stores are showing nothing in stock now. It was quite a feat for them to get that many made for one region alone.

It really does depend on how bad it gets at $499.

If they feel their largest market being threatened in a big way I can see them willing to take a loss to try to maintain relevancy. But I also see Sony being completely ready to answer that move. So... if it gets bad... MS is kind of up shit creek.

How will Sony answer if they have no money and are selling the PS4 at a loss now?

I don't know why Microsoft's $70B or so in cash is brought up as if it necessitates anything towards the Xbox. The idea that companies have a lot of money does not mean that they're necessarily willing to incur significant losses.
Hmm, my GBA number and Xbox number may be wrong then, Aqua/donny/Road what do you have?

Fake edit: Where do you get 140K PS3 from...?

Penetrating the market means more Live sales and the XBox is notorious for selling more online content than the Playstation. So they can afford to take a hit on the hardware.

Looking at how their stocks are doing and how much money they have just sitting there, I'd say quite a ways.
I don't know why Microsoft's $70B or so in cash is brought up as if it necessitates anything towards the Xbox. The idea that companies have a lot of money does not mean that they're necessarily willing to incur significant losses.
[older sources:
GB="Game Over" book
SNES=2-3 week pre nation-wide launch; estrapolated from major gaming stores only (official launch was a few weeks later)
PSX=100k SCEA "official" but this includes all NA, given NPD data to SCEA "sold" usually 75%
The rest should be legit.]

Mind you I do NOT believe 1m PS4s were sold in USA alone [maybe shipped], until we get concrete Fri-Sat USA-only sales I will not update this graph.
Hmm, my GBA number and Xbox number may be wrong then, Aqua/donny/Road what do you have?

Fake edit: How are you inferring these projections, e.g. PS3 week one..?

EDIT: also this has been confirmed as sold through via a press release as well - I'm all for making sure statements are definitive first, but this has been confirmed enough I think.

jstripes

Banned
From my massive database, and from a lot of research and digging check out (nearly) all past USA launches:

*=my own projections from various sources, sorry it couldn't be more concrete but I couldn't find SOLD figures for them. Please help if you do indeed have them.

[older sources:
GB="Game Over" book
SNES=2-3 week pre nation-wide launch; estrapolated from major gaming stores only (official launch was a few weeks later)
PSX=100k SCEA "official" but this includes all NA, given NPD data to SCEA "sold" usually 75%
The rest should be legit.]

Mind you I do NOT believe 1m PS4s were sold in USA alone [maybe shipped], until we get concrete Fri-Sat USA-only sales I will not update this graph.

Damn, gaming was a niche hobby back in the old days. I mean, I already knew that (I was a kid in that era), but not to that extent.

Gies works for Polygon, dunno who the other one is

Kind of laughable how they flip-flopped as soon at the PS4 numbers were released, although it would have taken a real idiot to not realize that the PS4 was going to do well at launch

On ok. And polygon is owned by Microsoft? Interesting. Why would a site owned by Microsoft be interested in the PS4? You'd think they'd just hype the Xbox.

Amazing start Sony, here's hoping supply keeps up.

Side note, I wonder if the Buy 2 Get 1 Free sale that Target, Fry's, Amazon and to an extent Best Buy did was all Sony's idea? Man I can't wait for NPD numbers this month, I really want to see what the attachment rates look like

rCiXunr.png

Hope this doesn't derail the thread too much, but I thought this was funny.

Maybe Ben should come in here and talk/conversate with "GAF" instead of pointing fingers from Twitter. Seems very immature. He is the one that is supposed to be the professional. Instead of trying to educate everyone with his incredible incite, extensive background in the field, and I would assume a degree in journalism, he wants to nanny nanny boo boo from a distance. Stay True Ben!!

erawsd

Is this thread gonna get derailed by including that guy again?

Everybody hates him but you guys love talking about him.

Smh.

Thats what I can never understand. Everyone talks about how much they hate the guy and how Polygon is the worst thing in the industry, and yet they read their twitters, watch their streams, and spend many pages picking apart every statement.

Gorillaz

There is this weird fixation between GAF and Polygon/Gies...You guys hate them and think they are biased yet continue to bring them up always. I would just ignore it after awhile

/shrug

edit: glad i'm not the only one thinking that

Square2015

What do you mean "in USA alone"? It only is on sale in Canada and the USA. The numbers by default have to be USA+Canada alone. And the article specifically mentions both territories in its 1 million SOLD through to consumer, which Yoshida also confirmed.

You actually think they're LYING about their sell through!? Man I am as cynical as anyone, but the shit storm they'd get if this story was BS... no way dude. The only logical thing is that these numbers are true. And it's for 24 hours.

Y2Kev: "Polygon is the Ben kuchera of game websites."

<Ben Kuchera chats it up with Arthur Gies>

These figures do not include Canada, most of it is NPD.

Remember SCEA said they sold 510k when PS2 launched, NPD reported 391k... Canada is ~10% of USA that doesn't make up the difference.

Whether or not this is sold or shipped, the fact Sony had 1 million PS4s available at launch in itself is astounding. I have never seen Sony this locked-in so obvious congratulations and jubilations to them.

Don't quite understand the people claiming this "proves" the market has not contracted at all since all hardware units launched impressively and this does not preclude the possibility that the market has contracted simultaneously with Sony grabbing the lion's share of it.

As others have said, we will see the general health of the industry about a year from now, but I can live with another Sony-dominated generation.

Wynnebeck

Banned
I don't get the joke.

What I want is some context. Cheerleaders can cheerlead but I have no idea how much of an achievement this is and hope somebody can make it clear (Road? Parmenides? Opiate?)

It's the same as when CoD or GTA numbers from first week sales come up in the news. The numbers alone never sound impressive to me without some context and a bar for comparison.

This is the largest launch for a console in the history of video gaming. It has taken some consoles months to do what PS4 did in 24 hours. It's big.

QaaQer

Maybe Ben should come in here and talk/conversate with "GAF" instead of pointing fingers from Twitter. Seems very immature. He is the one that is supposed to be the professional. Instead of trying to educate everyone with his incredible incite, extensive background in the field, and I would assume a degree in journalism, he wants to nanny nanny boo boo from a distance. Stay True Ben!!

I think dude was a clerk at wallmart who posted compulsively on Ars' forums before he got hired by the old pre-corporate buyout Ars Technica owners, not a journalist.

I don't get the joke.

You don't speak .GIF, you don't speak DBZ, I don't even know what language you want to talk in, here!

Unless it's basic mathematics, which are plastered all over this thread, including this page and the one previous. There's been direct, numerical comparisons to every (known) major console launch to date.

The simple answer is that it's more than double the first-month sales of any other console in a single day, in a single territory; it's absurdly huge. Though it can't be taken as evidence of future sales by itself, it's a good leading indicator that this is likely to be a very successful generation for PlayStation worldwide. There's really not any other conclusions that can be drawn until the X-Box One launch a few more months of sales data.

How will Sony answer if they have no money and are selling the PS4 at a loss now?
The design of the PS4 has no real eccentricities. This will make production and cost of scale much easier to maintain than PS3.

I expect (especially if this interest is maintained) Sony to get the cost of manufacturing down much faster than any platform they've ever released. If this is heading for a PS2 style level of domination Sony will quickly achieve profitability that they've never had in the console market.

This will leave them with all the room in the world to price war with MS. One has a degree of design complexity that has already hampered production. We'll see by just how much after launch.

Amir0x

Banned
These figures do not include Canada, most of it is NPD.

Remember SCEA said they sold 510k when PS2 launched, NPD reported 391k... Canada is ~10% of USA that doesn't make up the difference.

Sony did not report 510k sell through TO consumers, unless my memory is really bad. They simply generically said 510k units sold. This is the first time in a long time they said sold TO consumers. That they were so explicit is where my doubts have disappeared. Companies are rarely so explicit unless they know it is accurate

The long wait for Goku to arrive is finally over, and while everyone expected him to be strong, no one realized he had been training in over a hundred times Earth's gravity during the long delay en-route to Namek. After a jaw-dropping display of strength, completely devastating the most powerful opponents Earth's defenders have ever witnessed, he seems poised to fulfill the nigh-forgotten prophecy of the Legendary Super-Station.

HAHA. Have mercy

Oh god...

The second thing we have to remember is that a hashtag and a few blog posts isn’t a backlash. No one at Microsoft or Sony cares about what you post on the forums of your favorite gaming website. I hate to be the bearer of bad news in this regard, but right now the reaction to the possible used game restrictions amounts to a fart in the wind.

What is a backlash then??

Also considering Sony is doing the Banderas I think they do care.. Enough to placate our stupid asses.

Gorillaz

The design of the PS4 has no real eccentricities. This will make production and cost of scale much easier to maintain than PS3.

I expect (especially if this interest is maintained) Sony to get the cost of manufacturing down much faster than any platform they've ever released. If this is heading for a PS2 style level of domination Sony will quickly achieve profitability that they've never had in the console market.

This will leave them with all the room in the world to price war with MS. One has a degree of design complexity that has already hampered production. We'll see by just how much after launch.

Never say never but....

PS2 level of dominance is not likely in this day and age....Too many disruptions in the market. However they can definitely get a strong grip on the market.

Sony did not report 510k sell through TO consumers, unless my memory is really bad. They simply generically said 510k units sold. This is the first time in a long time they said sold TO consumers. That they were so explicit is where my doubts have disappeared. Companies are rarely so explicit unless they know it is accurate

I'd imagine the reason they were able to be so explicit is largely because of pre-orders filled, which gives them a lot more confidence in the numbers without even having to wait for word back from retailers down the supply chain. I would be interested to know how much north of that one million they actually put on shelves if that's the case.

Penetrating the market means more Live sales and the XBox is notorious for selling more online content than the Playstation. So they can afford to take a hit on the hardware.
Firstly, citation needed.

Secondly, Xbox revenues are a tiny part of Microsoft's business even with whatever Live brings in.

And finally, again, that they can afford to take a hit on hardware means nothing if they are unwilling to take a hit on hardware. And if they were willing to take a hit on hardware they wouldn't be launch at $499.

Nintendo can sell the Wii U for $99 today. They won't. Microsoft can sell the XB1 for $99 today. They won't.

Anth0ny

Perfection.

Pain

Banned
There is this weird fixation between GAF and Polygon/Gies...You guys hate them and think they are biased yet continue to bring them up always. I would just ignore it after awhile

/shrug

Exactly. I'm sure these guys love the attention they get from Gaf. It feeds them.

mattiewheels

And then the LORD David Bowie saith to his Son, Jonny Depp: 'Go, and spread my image amongst the cosmos. For every living thing is in anguish and only the LIGHT shall give them reprieve.'

/shrug

People on here treat Arthur Gies like some cartoon villain, it's pretty childish. It made me listen to his Rebel FM PS4 podcast, and he made a very sound case for his Killzone review and seemed genuinely bummed that the game didn't shape up...but he's obviously just some one-dimensional biased joke of a writer if you listen to people on here.

Never say never but....

PS2 level of dominance is not likely in this day and age....Too many disruptions in the market. However they can definitely get a strong grip on the market.
I hope for it.

With WiiU where it is I hope at least one of the platforms is a monster. I see it being easier for the cheaper one. Something that shows only modest generational losses instead of the huge losses that may be incurred by an irrelevant Nintendo.

mujun

You don't speak .GIF, you don't speak DBZ, I don't even know what language you want to talk in, here!

Unless it's basic mathematics, which are plastered all over this thread, including this page and the one previous. There's been direct, numerical comparisons to every (known) major console launch to date.

The simple answer is that it's more than double the first-month sales of any other console in a single day, in a single territory; it's absurdly huge. Though it can't be taken as evidence of future sales by itself, it's a good leading indicator that this is likely to be a very successful generation for PlayStation worldwide. There's really not any other conclusions that can be drawn until the X-Box One launch a few more months of sales data.

Thank you. The double the first-month sales of any other console to date gives me the context very clearly.

As to the bolded part, the first page turned me off checking out the other 60 or so pages that is why I asked.

I'm glad that Sony is breaking records and selling out, but it I don't think it's a particularly big deal - the industry has grown since PS2 launched, right? It's like pointing out that Avatar had a bigger opening weekend than the original Star Wars.

Still sold out at the Sony Store, Best Buy, Target, and all GameStops I went into today. I was hoping to snag one and put it on eBay, but alas, I wasn't able. This blows away the PS3 launch (179,000 units on launch day, I think). Congrats Sony! Loving the console, just wish I had something to play aside from Resogun (which is absolute crack).

Completely sold out everywhere here in eastern Canada. Even the rows of most games were completely sold out too.

Most stores were taking "second pre-orders" because demand was so high that they needed to start reserving their next shipments.

Thank you. The double the first-month sales of any other console to date gives me the context very clearly.

As to the bolded part, the first page turned me off checking out the other 60 or so pages that is why I asked.

No problem. These threads can become a bit of a circus, if perhaps not the rollercoaster of a CBOAT thread or Bearfish Brawl. (Un?)Fortunately there's not likely to be much "movement" in threads like this until the day after the X-Box One launch, since further data is going to have to trickle up the supply chains and US consumer electronics reporting in general is a bit rubbish.

We're probably going to be stuck just chewing the cud on this 1,000,000 Day 1 figure for a while yet.

I don't really get this whole we need to ensure both do well, we should support all of these systems rahrah pompoms, "fair and balanced" blablabla bullshit comes from.

No. These products need to prove themselves to consumers as worthwhile value propositions that can compete in a crowded marketplace - that's what competition is about - and if they can't and fall flat on their faces (as one is right now), too f'ing bad.

Competition doesn't mean everyone gets an even slice of the market pie.

It's a piece of plastic and silicon. It doesn't need sympathy. It doesn't need cheers. It doesn't need emotional support. It needs to show why people should buy it, so they'll buy it.

That's a very good number but somehow I'm not surprised. Sony had an amazing communication and was rolling on good streak until launch. They need to keep the pace up.

I expect MS to do as much on launch date too. They have strong fan base and support.

Tales from my ass.

My point was that Xbox is but a blimp in the overall MS business. How much money MS has does not translate to how much Xbox can afford to spend.

If MS was serious about Xbox, they are financially more than capable of absorbing $400 loss per console and sell the One at $99 instead.

Buy no way will they do that because it is not worth it, even if they can afford it.

Investors want Microsoft to Sell Off the Xbox division now. Even with Microsoft guaranteeing profit per unit, less spending, gain in market share and Kinect advertising profit. One high up, who might become "The Boss" for Microsoft also agrees to getting rid of the Xbox division.

At this point anything such as quick price cuts or dropping kinect will just fuel the fire. The fire has already started. The stock holders are speaking up.

Top Bottom