• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Xbone magic scaler on HDMI In might darken image [sources providing mixed info]

alr1ght

bish gets all the credit :)
As confirmed on the Verge's livestream @ 07:49:20

http://new.livestream.com/accounts/2712456/events/2559319/player_pop_out

jordanscaled9su9q.gif

"It darkens the picture and it will take away surround sound."
- The Verge Managing Editor: Nilay Patel

He also notes that he believes it (the surround sound) will be fixed, but "it's not ready for primetime."

Re:surround sound
Kotaku sez

• The Xbox One will bump down the audio coming from devices plugged into its HDMI-in port—i.e. cable boxes (we haven't tested it with game consoles)—from surround sound to stereo
  • The Surround Sound Beta option will bump that stereo audio to some form of surround

CNET says no issues with HDMI in/out picture quality.

The surround sound stuff can and will be fixed, but there's pretty much guaranteed to be some amount of picture degradation because the Xbox One is decoding the video stream so that it can shrink it/snap it/scale it/et cetera. The loss in video quality isn't fixable because there isn't hardware passthrough.

rjcc

Also might be worth adding the fact that the passthrough only works when the XB1 is powered on

Maybe that was obvious to everyone but I hoped it would allow passive passthrough

Otherwise you CANNOT use your cable etc. without also turning on your XB1

sangreal

confirmed how (the stream won't let me jump directly to that point)? According to CNET, it's not. I don't have one, I can't say.

http://reviews.cnet.com/8301-33199_...ing-room-the-dazzling-erratic-everything-box/

softening and sharpening are opposite so which is it?

Also might be worth adding the fact that the passthrough only works when the XB1 is powered on

Maybe that was obvious to everyone but I hoped it would allow passive passthrough

I think this is a bigger problem. I know it's the whole point to be able to get notifications and multitask etc, but if I just have tv on in the background while I work I don't want to leave my xbox on all day

Works in stand by?

TAJ

Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that.
The surround sound stuff can and will be fixed, but there's pretty much guaranteed to be some amount of picture degradation because the Xbox One is decoding the video stream so that it can shrink it/snap it/scale it/et cetera. The loss in video quality isn't fixable because there isn't hardware passthrough.

Why would it need to decode anything? The source has already done that. It's like outputting PCM to a receiver instead of a DTS stream. The receiver doesn't have to do anything to it, (unless you want it to) just pass it to the amp section.

Kill it with fire. If I ever get a One, that shit is going unused.

Vestal

Gold Member

that's the whole point.

alr1ght

Danny Dudekisser

I paid good money for this Dynex!
Unsurprising. I imagine there's also massive input lag if you're trying to use the HDMI in to play another console.

Oh my fucking god...Is there any way to bypass and turn that shit off? I calibrated my plasma to see a clean image, not an artificial enhancer.

Edit: Also, i thought this was exclusive to bf4?

Now you can use more power and have worse IQ for only $499!

What a flop

ShapeGSX

confirmed how (the stream won't let me jump directly to that point)? According to CNET, it's not. I don't have one, I can't say.

http://reviews.cnet.com/8301-33199_...ing-room-the-dazzling-erratic-everything-box/

The video is digital, it isn't compressed. I don't see how it could be softened, unless it was being post-processed, which sounds like it is far more intensive than just passing it through, bit for bit. All of these claims can be tested.

Frankly, if the CNET guys say it is fine, I'm inclined to believe them.

Stacey Spears works at Microsoft. I can't believe he would let them ship a product that screwed up the video quality of the passthrough.
http://www.linkedin.com/pub/stacey-spears/9/a24/611

jstevenson

Sailor Stevenson
Verge says it darkens the picture (not sure where "crushed blacks" and "sharpening filter" came from in the title of this thread?).

CNET says it doesn't soften/change the image and it passed their blu-ray test patterns.

So two sources saying different things, at this point (though not entirely, it could darken the picture a bit while not altering the image in any other way)

alr1ght

Lmao perfect.

On another note I hope this can be fixed. In the meantime I'll just calibrate my tv to work around it.

You can't really work around artificially sharpened picture. It's a reason why blu-ray reviewers hate it (along with a multitude of other crap movie studios do to "enhance" the picture).

Yikes. Why released a gimped media box and make that your selling point? It makes no sense why they didn't do this better.

oSoLucky

It sucks that so many consumers are going to buy into the advertising and end up unhappy with their purchase. Consoles almost always end up not delivering on lots of their touted features and I'm glad that this time my skepticism paid off. They need to get software out to fix everything possible ASAP to save face. Sony is partly saved only because they're the better performing hardware, but that only goes so far with the competition these days.

Klocker

Also there is 5.1 on hdmi in it just require to be activated in settings and it is listed as a beta setting so that also is inaccurate as is the thread title and joke gif that some may be misconstruing as actual tv in

This just makes me wish Anandtech didn't cut the tv cord years ago. He'd get to the bottom of this shit on a crazy Jeff Rigby level of detail. Then call it a damn side thing!

I never really thought about that. That's pretty shitty.

sangreal

Yikes. Why released a gimped media box and make that your selling point? It makes no sense why they didn't do this better.

a straight passthrough would be pointless... it shouldn't noticeably impact image quality and that should be fixable if it does. I've never heard this complaint about googletv for example. Or receivers that support OSD over hdmi

and of course, the stb is mixing their UI with the original video stream in the first place

Verge says it darkens the picture (not sure where "crushed blacks" and "sharpening filter" came from in the title of this thread?).

CNET says it doesn't soften/change the image and it passed their blu-ray test patterns.

So two sources saying different things, at this point (though not entirely, it could darken the picture a bit while not altering the image in any other way)

Can you tell your guys to ensure that no stupid sharpening is used on SO if it doesn't run at 1080p native please. It and Quantum Break are the only games on the Bone I am looking forward to, I would rather the visual fidelity not be ruined by a sharpening filter.

HoodWinked

its hdmi source so it will probably get fixed eventually if there is any issue in the first place theres so much fud its hard to tell the truth from the blatant stupidity lately.

Ryudo

My opinion? USED.
I wonder how many people actually calibrate their screens? Surely microsoft need to address this and enable calibration adjustments. Thinking outside the square, they should also enable things like de-blocking, noise reduction ( or addition) and color correction as settings for the pass-through.

Chobel

As confirmed on the Verge's livestream @ 07:49:20

http://new.livestream.com/accounts/2...player_pop_out
"It darkens the picture and it will take away surround sound."
- The Verge Managing Editor: Nilay Patel

He also notes that he believes it will be fixed, but "it's not ready for primetime."

http://reviews.cnet.com/8301-33199_7...verything-box/

Two different sources saying two different things, so which one to believe?

MThanded

I Was There! Official L Receiver 2/12/2016
Why do people think there is anything that can even be done. They are dynamically scaling the input video. It has to go through some processing for this to be done. It can't be lossless. I can't imagine you can dynamically scale the video at near lossless quality on a 500 dollar piece of hardware.

Maybe I am wrong.

drproton

I get the feeling that the XBO's media features are kind of like the Wii Remote sans Motion+ or Kinect 1, as in they were new visionary technologies forced out before they were ready to provide a quality experience. And unfortunately, the fact that these were sent into the marketplace before they matured gave them a similar stigma as VR or 3D, where people are less receptive to similar things that might actually fulfill the original promises.

I'm in love with the idea of having snap and overlays and everything to centralize my home media, but not at the cost of surround sound or video quality, and an IR blaster is simply not a very elegant solution for interfacing with a cable box. Especially when the XBO's IR blaster isn't programmable, so you can't operate anything but basic channel and volume functionality.

I guess I wasn't very likely to buy an XBO anyway; at least any time soon, but I want to want one. Though I'm sure we'll see something similar from a media receiver in the next few years.

Massa

Can you tell your guys to ensure that no stupid sharpening is used on SO if it doesn't run at 1080p native please. It and Quantum Break are the only games on the Bone I am looking forward to, I would rather the visual fidelity not be ruined by a sharpening filter.

Given how much Insomniac used QAA on the PS3 I think you're safe, they're pretty fine with a blurred image. :p

Whogie

Shit, this comes out NOW!? Black crush?
It's getting really close to the line to consider dropping my preorder.

Top Bottom