• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Xbone magic scaler on HDMI In might darken image [sources providing mixed info]

fritolay

I still don't know that I want my xb1 on all the time to watch TV.

How is this different that TV PIP picture in picture really? Couldn't you program the xbox to send out IR signals to your TV set to swap PIP modes? Then you could leave your xbox in a stand by state while watching TV.

Isn't the XB1's whole shtick supposed to be it's a replacement cable box / media hub / all in one entertainment system??

It degrades the TV signal that gets passed through it AND loses the surround sound?

That's actually impressive.

That's what happens when you beta test in the future. Didn't take into account 2013's shitty technology. :p

Raonak

Banned
Lots of people around the world know michael jackson by name, but I doubt much people outside the US know what he looks like. The only time would've been in space jam.

Especially since he looks like a pretty generic african american dude and he hasn't been famous for over 10 years, so even if you did see him, it's an easy face to forget.

Rich!

I know the name of Michael Jordan, but I have 1. no idea what he looks like, and 2. no idea what the fuck he does apart from play baseball.

CLEEK

Lots of people around the world know michael jackson by name, but I doubt much people outside the US know what he looks like. The only time would've been in space jam.

Especially since he looks like a pretty generic african american dude and he hasn't been famous for over 10 years, so even if you did see him, it's an easy face to forget.

This is probably the only time you'll hear Michael Jackson being refereed to as a generic african american dude...

Demon Ice

Banned

Lmao

MThanded

I Was There! Official L Receiver 2/12/2016

kRIGnq8.jpg

Ki3b4C2.gif

JohnsonUT

LDvKwcC.jpg

Reallink

I don't know how well known it is, but 360 had an intentionally fucked up non-standard gamma output that erred toward crushing shadow detail. The SDK even includes correction tables for it from what I understand. There exists a much more detailed description in some UE3, Cry Engine 3, or IDTech5 developer materials IIRC. I believe MS are on record saying it focus tested better on Walmart TV's or something to that effect. If something's going on with the One, no doubt they're up to the same tricks.

For the sake of balance op should include the fact that cnet has run tests on the hdmi pass through and found zero evidence of the image being altered. If the thread gets large the assumption that there is a problem, though there are conflicting reports, could make discussing the topic in context difficult.

Demon Ice

Banned
You do realize your hearing output in both ears, right?

I believe that was a joke referencing how people defended the XB1 primarily rendering games at 720p vs 1080p by making the hilarious claim that you can't see a difference between 720p and 1080p.

Tsundere

Banned
Watching parts of the stream that have already passed...

These Polygon guys are really ignorant, they know nothing about the PS4's features. Couldn't answer anything that PS4 has that Xbox One doesn't, other than that one guy spewing "The camera is bad; it does nothing".

Fucking bullshit, This is the part I could not believe reading all the reviews yesterday and I can safely say I'm no longer looking forward to freeing up an hdmi port plugging in something that will affect my picture quality.

The thing I looked forward to trying the most they fucked up.

stonesak

Okay, if you really insist
I believe that was a joke referencing how people defended the XB1 primarily rendering games at 720p vs 1080p by making the hilarious claim that you can't see a difference between 720p and 1080p.

My post was a reference to Aaron Greenberg's tweet when asked about native 1080p vs upscaled, and he essentially said "You realize you'll see both output as 1080p." :)

QaaQer

It's a fucking shame all the press has been hiding all the jank from people thinking about buying this system. the reviews I've read mention none of this shit.

Tsundere

Banned
It's a fucking shame all the press has been hiding all the jank from people thinking about buying this system. the reviews I've read mention none of this shit.

They were under NDA, we've had people bring up the potential issues and such (insiders, CBOAT, etc.) but a lot of people dismissed them.

Pretty sure Microsoft didn't want any of this to get out until it was too late to cancel pre-orders.

Why is there always a presumed press conspiracy happening when referencing X1?
There are conflicting reports in regards to what HDMI passthrough does to the image. CNET has run actual testing in this regard and found nothing. What tests the Verge has done is unclear. DF did passthrough tests to test PS4 passed through on the X1? Other then latency issues, that made it bad for gaming, they found that pass through at any resolution was flawless.

Maybe the image alterations don't exist and the Verge is mistaken. Maybe they do and are unique to a few systems. What you can say is that it's way too soon to consider anything as confirmed and the evidence so far leans towards issues with passthrough being anomalous at best

JaggedSac

I wouldn't really trust The Verge on anything. However, MS should not have shipped with the surround stuff not worked out(although it sounds like surround only has issues with certain set top boxes when in the beta mode) and the optical out surround stuff not worked out.

Replicant

The worst part about this is that I'm sure many gamers have already over-saturated their display as it is now or using "game mode", which has over-saturated colors especially those who like their colors to 'pop-out' so to speak. So this will double that crushed blacks and adding extra jaggies.

Fyrebrand

Neo Member
There are conflicting reports in regards to what HDMI passthrough does to the image. CNET has run actual testing in this regard and found nothing. What tests the Verge has done is unclear. DF did passthrough tests to test PS4 passed through on the X1? Other then latency issues, that made it bad for gaming, they found that pass through at any resolution was flawless.

Maybe the image alterations don't exist and the Verge is mistaken. Maybe they do and are unique to a few systems. What you can say is that it's way too soon to consider anything as confirmed and the evidence so far leans towards issues with passthrough being anomalous at best

Wierd a guy with logic and stuff rare to see that around these parts it's far better to just jump to the worst case.

mrg6290

Wierd a guy with logic and stuff rare to see that around these parts it's far better to just jump to the worst case.

Yea, it does always seem like people are always jumping to the worst conclusion. People too wrapped up in the console wars. They feel the need to prove that their platform is better or that they need to do their part to make sure everyone is aware of any issues with the competing platform.

Often seems to be the same individuals as well...

Hopefully we get past this soon.

Edit: Much appreciation for the new title. Class.

Could this just be some kind of full range/limited range toggle issue? Maybe the user has it set to full on Xbox One and limited on the cable box when comparing with and without the passthrough.

wait... you mean *ON* on and not 'standby' on?

It's unclear at this point in time

All that is known for sure is it doesn't work in one state at least

It was in Polygon's 12 hours XB1 video stream

http://new.livestream.com/polygon/xbox-one-live-stream

Video: Xbox Livestream: Reviewers Roundtable

Go to 28:30 or slightly before when the guy with the glasses at the right side of the table is talking

alr1ght you might want to add the above into OP so people know where no passive HDMI IN passthrough is from

I seriously doubt if it requires active engagement by the XB1 that it would work from standby. That would require specific silicon like the PS4 has for downloads and the like when in standby mode

Ars Technica found none.

They played boththe WiiU and PS4 through it and found basically no lag (might have been Kotaku AU)

I truly hope you're right. My plan was always to passthrough PS4 via my Xbox One to create my chocolate and peanut butter gaming setup. Latency would kill that.

Once again there are conflicting reports here because DF says different.

It's unclear at this point in time

All that is known for sure is it doesn't work in one state at least

I seriously doubt if it requires active engagement by the XB1 that it would work from standby. That would require specific silicon like the PS4 has for downloads and the like when in standby mode

The whole point of the Xbox TV functionality is the have both on and accessible at the same time. Otherwise just put the cable box into another HDMI port. What is your concern here exactly?

The whole point of the Xbox TV functionality is the have both on and accessible at the same time. Otherwise just put the cable box into another HDMI port. What is your concern here exactly?

It's not a concern, I would term it more an oversight

What happens if you ever want to not get XBL notifications? Like ever?

For even a single instance of watching tv in the future?

Your only option is changing the inputs either manually or having a switch in the system (could use a splitter to) but I don't see why MS couldn't do both passive and active passthrough

Active when XB1 is on, passive when not

Fyrebrand

Neo Member

Your only option is changing the inputs either manually or having a switch in the system (could use a splitter to) but I don't see why MS couldn't do both passive and active passthrough

could you not just turn notifications off?

You can't disable notifications? You can on Xbox 360. Also, passive passthrough is pointless since you can just switch inputs. The purpose of the HDMI input is to integrate live TV into the Xbox One UI.

could you not just turn notifications off?

Yes? But you would still have to go through menus and turn off the features then remember to turn them back on. That's inconvenience and completely against the point of this whole push by MS

Like I said it's not as big a deal breaker as the other complaints but big enough to me to never use HDMI In

You can't disable notifications? You can on Xbox 360. Also, passive passthrough is pointless since you can just switch inputs. The purpose of the HDMI input is to integrate live TV into the Xbox One UI.

I understand the purpose of TV integration but see no logical reason why you can't have both? Like I said it's more an oversight than a concern imo

If I was to use this it damn well better work well out of the box and not require me to set up switches and/or splitters so that I can run my setup like I want to

If there's a single instance where I simply don't want the XB1 on when I watch tv versus the rest of the time, why is so hard to add that use case in?

QaaQer

Ars Technica found none.

They played boththe WiiU and PS4 through it and found basically no lag (might have been Kotaku AU)

was it Orland, the guy who thinks 720p is practically the same as 1080 and a total non-issue? or was the other games guy, the one with the BA in classics?

mrklaw

MrArseFace
Also might be worth adding the fact that the passthrough only works when the XB1 is powered on

Maybe that was obvious to everyone but I hoped it would allow passive passthrough

Otherwise you CANNOT use your cable etc. without also turning on your XB1

that's the whole point.

thats the whole point for Microsoft, doesn't mean we have to like it. So if someone in your family wants to watch TV, they have to say 'Xbox on' (or press the Xbox button), and then it'll boot not into TV, but into the dashboard, and they have to say 'xbox watch TV'.

So you now have extra barriers in front of people, for the hope of making your xbox service sticky and up front so you might buy more stuff from them

As for whether it messes with the video output, I'll wait for someone from a more AV focused site to take a look, or one of our videophile gaffers. You wouldn't be running bluray through it anyway, so the best it is likely to be fed is 1080i from a cable box. So not only would I want to know whether it scales/degrades the image, I'd also like to know how well it deinterlaces the signal

ShapeGSX

The more I think about the "dark picture", the more I think that Nilay Patel probably just has the full and limited RGB setting set incorrectly.

You set it up a certain way because it makes your game colors pop more, then don't realize that you also affected your DVR's color range.

Top Bottom