• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Xbone magic scaler on HDMI In might darken image [sources providing mixed info]

I swear I can't tell if this post is serious or not. First of all, Antonio Banderas was almost an A-list celebrity for about a week back in 1995. Secondly, just because the rest of the world can't beat the US in this sport does not make it niche. Otherwise...world...soccer is niche.

HAHAHAHAHA

GAF is cracking me up today, haven't laughed so much for a long time, tabbing between this and the Bodybuilding/Misc thread.

Has anyone read whether or not the Xbox One can control the 360 via IR? I want to plug my 360 into the HDMI input on the One and watch TV through windows media center.

Sounds like people not re-calibrating for a different HDMI in or something?

Every input on my TV has separate calibration settings.

Not saying that's what it is, just seems weird how some can see it and some cant.

madmackem

The latency issues kill this before it starts from most people id expect, id never run a games machine through it or a pc its utter pointless. Losing the surround isnt good either.

Zoe

Sounds like people not re-calibrating for a different HDMI in or something?

Every input on my TV has separate calibration settings.

Not saying that's what it is, just seems weird how some can see it and some cant.

The source matters too. It's hard to compare unless they're all using the same source input.

cyberheater

PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 Xbone PS4 PS4
The latency issues kill this before it starts from most people id expect, id never run a games machine through it or a pc its utter pointless. Losing the surround isnt good either.

Yeah. It's certainly just for your cable tv box. I still think it's a really really stupid idea and a total waste of money and time and resource that MS could have used on building a more powerful games machine. Idiots.

The HDMI passthrough not working if the console is in standby as well as the latency problems is the bigger story here. Might as well throw out any claims of standby power consumption since the thing cant ever be turned off if it is being used the way it was designed to be used.

And how long until we hear complaints from people about the PS4 having problems with sloppy controls due to the latency without them realizing it's because they are running their PS4 through the Xbox HDMI passthrough.

Raistlin

So what we end up with is a terribly half-baked 'solution' to media with the HDMI-passthrough ...

... and they've pulled the media solution from 360 that actually performed well - WMC Extender.

Awesome. One box indeed.

whome0

The HDMI passthrough not working if the console is in standby
XboxOne non-official Wiki
The XBox One's HDMI input is known as HDMI Passthrough. You can still use whatever HDMI device is plugged into the Xbox One, even when it is powered off.

So gaffers have already tested HDMI passthrough on poweroff and standby modes, none does hdmi passthrough? Or we still are guessing and wiki has been right all this time?

mrklaw

MrArseFace
Has anyone read whether or not the Xbox One can control the 360 via IR? I want to plug my 360 into the HDMI input on the One and watch TV through windows media center.

Xbox one can't control anything that requires menu control - it has no way to know where in the menu it is. It can do volume up/down, channel numbers, TV on/off etc. thats it

AndyD

aka andydumi
Xbox one can't control anything that requires menu control - it has no way to know where in the menu it is. It can do volume up/down, channel numbers, TV on/off etc. thats it

I guess it could broadcast via IR "left" "right" and so forth.

XboxOne non-official Wiki

So gaffers have already tested HDMI passthrough on poweroff and standby modes, none does hdmi passthrough? Or we still are guessing and wiki has been right all this time?

How about someone who has two XB1's in their house currently?

It was in Polygon's 12 hours XB1 video stream

http://new.livestream.com/polygon/xbox-one-live-stream

Video: Xbox Livestream: Reviewers Roundtable

Go to 28:30 or slightly before when the guy with the glasses at the right side of the table is talking

alr1ght you might want to add the above into OP so people know where no passive HDMI IN passthrough is from

Rich!

The only thing I'm curious about the Xbone is what would happen if you link ten of them together (HDMI to HDMI).

I'm sure it would be fascinating.

Crisco

Banned
Jesus lord, true IPTV can't come soon enough. I pay for DirecTV primarily because it broadcasts at higher bit rates than any other satellite or cable provider. No way in hell would I ever run it through a device that degrades PQ.

Lots of people around the world know michael jackson by name, but I doubt much people outside the US know what he looks like. The only time would've been in space jam.

Especially since he looks like a pretty generic african american dude and he hasn't been famous for over 10 years, so even if you did see him, it's an easy face to forget.

I swear I can't tell if this post is serious or not. First of all, Antonio Banderas was almost an A-list celebrity for about a week back in 1995. Secondly, just because the rest of the world can't beat the US in this sport does not make it niche. Otherwise...world...soccer is niche.

Antonio Banderas is internationally famous. Michael Jordan isn't. Well, his name is, but not him. Niche American sport and all.

lol, it must be comedy hour on GAF today.

EDIT: Also, why do threads keep devolving into arguing about Micheal Jordan?

Flo_Evans

The more I think about the "dark picture", the more I think that Nilay Patel probably just has the full and limited RGB setting set incorrectly.

You set it up a certain way because it makes your game colors pop more, then don't realize that you also affected your DVR's color range.

Could be, I'd wait till the system is in the hands of people that actually know wtf they are talking about before jumping off a bridge.

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/digitalfoundry-next-gen-now-ryse-son-of-rome
http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/digitalfoundry-next-gen-now-forza-motorsport-5

You can dl high bitrate footage of the games on those links and I noticed that in Ryse the blacks are severly crushed but the Forza 5 footage seems completely fine.

We really need more info about the crushed blacks with upscaled games because it could be a deal breaker. I can deal with lower resolution but the ryse footage is horrible on the DF video. The loss of details is huge.

Crisco

Banned
But you could use a splitter :)

Send the signal to both the monitor and the console

Insanity

post-31230-Ryan-Reynolds-BUT-WHY-gif-Haro-MfFW.gif

MThanded

I Was There! Official L Receiver 2/12/2016
Jesus lord, true IPTV can't come soon enough. I pay for DirecTV primarily because it broadcasts at higher bit rates than any other satellite or cable provider. No way in hell would I ever run it through a device that degrades PQ.
It wont be happening anytime soon here in the US. Comcast and time warner have been really lobbying to stop this.

From the ISP side, the ISPs would be fine with it if you are willing forgo net neutrality. They obviously don't want you to get OTA/cable TV over the internet. Especially when they have their own competing TV options.

In general the policy gridlock is serious in relation to IPTV.

ShapeGSX

Well that was a bunch of BS. There is absolutely no picture degradation, and it isn't darker, either. Looks great, in fact.

Replicant

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/digitalfoundry-next-gen-now-ryse-son-of-rome
http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/digitalfoundry-next-gen-now-forza-motorsport-5

You can dl high bitrate footage of the games on those links and I noticed that in Ryse the blacks are severly crushed but the Forza 5 footage seems completely fine.

Forrza is 1080p. The image enhancer likely piggyback the uprezing mechanism. After all, the darker the IQ the less likely you'll see the blurriness.....at the cost of crushed black and increased jaggies.

kevlar35

Banned
Now that Xbox One is out, this TV issue is true or not?

We have one saying it's bullshit, any others?

I was dreading this but there's no image degradation at all from what I can see. I still have TV running through it's own input on my amp as well as the One so can switch between them at will for easy comparison.

It's not an issue.

I know I am going to get hate for this but I see a difference.

I am not sure what the problem is. It could be the encoding and the upscaled causing the issues, or it could be the fact that I calibrate each devices separately for optimal picture quality. I have always had my Xbox 360 and Cable calibrated differently for optimal image quality. So depending on how sensitive you are to picture quality this could be the difference.

Faddy

Banned
Going from information gained from threads testing how the Xbox scaler works and research into UK HDTV, I think we can square the conflicting reports of picture degradation.

If a channel broadcasts at 1080i the channel will not be scaled by the Xbox but if the channel is 720p the channel will undergo an upres and sharpening from the scaler which changes the quality of the image in an undesirable way for most people.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/High-definition_television_in_the_United_States

Notably the Disney family (ABC/DIsney/ESPN) are in 720p as is Fox.

Does this change anyones opinion of using Xbox TV features?

Blimblim

The Inside Track
As promised, here are my captures of Killer instinct, with histogram.
First, calibration:
720p:
cal_720p.png

1080p:
cal_1080p.png

Killer instinct:
720p:
ki_720p.png

1080p:
ki_1080p.png

In terms of black levels, the histogram doesn't seem to show much if any difference.

pixlexic

Banned
I don't think a lot of people here know the difference between crushed blacks and a dark image.

Crushed means when two or more colors are shown as one and there is nothing you can do about.

A dark image can be adjusted by you image settings to look correct.

Haven't tested which the xbone is really doing.

Faddy

Banned
As promised, here are my captures of Killer instinct, with histogram.
First, calibration:

Killer instinct:

In terms of black levels, the histogram doesn't seem to show much if any difference.

Can you explain the calibration images please, are they for full RGB or limited? (limited right, because the lines don't go into the brown buffer?)

Is all output limited RGB to allow TV and games to be shown together. Can you snap the blu-ray app and is that limited RGB?

I think resolution and sharpening is independent from the colour space issues as shown by you KI shots.

Top Bottom