• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

'Family Guy' to introduce 'pooch with attitude' as new character

Status
Not open for further replies.

CiSTM

Banned
Well he still does half the voices, but maybe not no, the guy is one of the richest writers in the world is he not? I seem to recall him making £100M+ from Family Guy? Maybe he just doesn't give a shit now.

He is probably going to be one of the most well paid directors in the near future, at least if he keeps up doing what ever he is doing. Ted has made over $500 million world wide :O

SteveWD40

He is probably going to be one of the most well paid directors in the near future, at least if he keeps up doing what ever he is doing. Ted has made over $500 million world wide :O

Well, he has a midas touch I guess. I liked Family Guy early on, haven't watched any in years though.

Funny that Fox cancelled it about 3 times until the DVD sales hit...

Vert boil

Brian is a pussy.

Brian wants to be a pussy.

familyguybrian89ezn.gif

Trojita

Rapid Response Threadmaker
Family Guy for the last couple of seasons has basically been shitting on Brian. Which is weird because Brian is pretty much Seth Mcfarlane. It made no sense for Quagmire to comment that Brian is terrible for wanting to sleep with his best friend's wife.

Also there continuing ridicule of transgendered people is ridiculous.

Ledsen

I remember that the first time I heard of Family Guy was in that South Park episode (I'm a huge early Simpsons fan as well). When I actually watched the show (much later), I realized that South Park hadn't been parodying the show as much as they'd been accurately representing it. So can't say I'm surprised.

Family Guy for the last couple of seasons has basically been shitting on Brian. Which is weird because Brian is pretty much Seth Mcfarlane. It made no sense for Quagmire to comment that Brian is terrible for wanting to sleep with his best friend's wife.

Maybe Seth hates himself. There was that ending to that one episode were Seth Mcfarlane shitted on himself.
Edit: Here it is

jaxword

The Family Guy writers are very careful to read the fan pulse.

Brian was getting too annoying by being stuck up and right all the time, almost a Mary Sue type character. So they responded to that by screwing him up as a person over time and taking him down several notches.

As for their mocking of transgendered people, they LITERALLY mock every single possible group, from Islamic terrorists to gay people to straight people to internet nerds to exercise jocks to themselves.

That's such a bizarre thing to complain about in the most politically incorrect show of all time that aims to offend people almost as much as South Park.

Also, they have a few transgender characters, i.e. Quagmire's dad, who aren't portrayed as bad people. In fact, Brian sleeps with Quagmire's dad, and is at first grossed out by the transgender stuff, but by the end has it as a badge of pride.

B.K.

Tonight was the episode where they got the new dog.
They killed off Brian and got the new dog at the pound.

B.K.

Wait... what?

The episode started with Brian and Stewie trying to fix a change they made in the past. After they fix it, Stewie destroys the time machine. Later, Brian and Stewie are getting ready to play a game of street hockey and Brian is run over by a car and killed. Stewie tries to build a new time machine, but can't get the parts he needs. The Griffins decide to get a new dog to replace Brian and get the new one from the pound. The rest of the episode is the new dog trying to get Stewie to accept him.

Acorn

The episode started with Brian and Stewie trying to fix a change they made in the past. After they fix it, Stewie destroys the time machine. Later, Brian and Stewie are getting ready to play a game of street hockey and Brian is run over by a car and killed. Stewie tries to build a new time machine, but can't get the parts he needs. The Griffins decide to get a new dog to replace Brian and get the new one from the pound. The rest of the episode is the new dog trying to get Stewie to accept him.
Well damn.

Parallax

best seen in the classic "Shadow of the Beast"

wow. as asinine the concept, i would rather they killed him off with him giving his kidneys to peter. at least it was a proper send off

Gorillaz

Serious? wow......

JordanN

Banned
Yeah. I still enjoy Family Guy, but it seems every joke must be yelled out by every character, and then explained afterwards. Seasons 1-3 had a lot more subtlety to it.

Also this is fairly accurate:

Sf6Dg.gif
Even though I haven't watched family guy in maybe 2 years, but I find the Chris and Meg one weird. Meg was always a teenager/punching bag and Chris is not "retarded" like Peter is. I actually think the newer episodes make him out to be smart whereas in the old ones, he was very quiet and believes whatever anyone tells him.

KDC720

Wow, I sorta don't believe that.
As others have said, Brian is basically Seth, weird that he would kill himself off.

Meh, show has been garbage for years now. Also, nice work Family Guy staff choosing to this so soon after the tragic loss of Marcia Wallace and Simpsons killing off Edna.

Tapejara

Spoiler and speculation for this week's episode:

So is it confirmed that Brian is dead? My initial theory was that the person who ran Brian over was going to be revealed to be a future Stewie, possibly returning to the past because Future Stewie believes that Present Stewie needs the time machine for something and killing Brian would be enough motivation to cause P Stewie to rebuild it.

I was thinking this because the car that ran Brian over looked like it was going straight for him, rather than an actual accident. Not to mention the car kind of looked like Brian's car.

Edit: Full Theory

So my theory is this, after destroying the time machine, a future Stewie (from here on referred to as F Stewie) realizes that he needs the time machine for something important. This could be an apocalyptic event, like when Stewie and Brian needed to go back in time to stop Bertram, or perhaps something on a smaller scale, like Vinny having ulterior motives. It's also possible that he needs Brian to be alive (I'll cover this in a bit).

F Stewie decides to go back in time. But in order to do so he needs to build a time machine. So F. Stewie hunts down the parts (it was revealed that the man who constructed one of the time machine parts was killed, however the writers could always just toss a deus ex machina in) and is able to build the time machine. F. Stewie then goes back in time to kill Brian.

Present Stewie (P. Stewie from here on) learns to accept the new dog Vinny. However, at some point in the future, P. Stewie realizes that he needs Brian for one reason or another and he needs to rebuild the time machine. F. Stewie is happy because the time machine was rebuilt, and P. Stewie is able to save Brian.

So, here's where the theory becomes problematic: if F. Stewie needs the time machine built, why does he have to go back in time to rescue Brian? My thinking here is that Brian is an important piece of the puzzle and that there's more to Vinny than we're lead to believe. There's one vital plot point that hasn't been revealed yet, but whatever it is, it causes F. Stewie to go back in time and run over Brian. Why exactly is a whole other reason that I can't figure out, but I have a feeling it has to do with needing Brian alive.

Why I think this:

1) The car that hit Brian looked like it was coming straight for him, rather than the even being an accident.
2) The car that was being driven looked similar to Brian's Prius.
3) Vinny isn't much of a universal character. For the most part, the main cast of Family Guy is a blank palette that jokes can be painted onto. They each have their own personalities, but they're relatable and/or malleable enough that they can be put into specific situations. Vinny isn't. He's been clearly designed as an Italian-American dog with nothing more to him. He doesn't seem like he can be inserted into most cutaway gags or take on other roles like the rest of the family. In essence, I just feel the way the show's writers designed him doesn't play well to Family Guy's style of humour. He can be the butt of jokes, but it doesn't seem like he can be the joke.

Reading this thread makes me think otherwise though. Or perhaps I'm just putting too much thought into it?

Alrus

I don't think he is officially gay.

His character just has a lot of jokes about being gay.

Huh I haven't watched the show in a long time but I thought there was no question that Stewie is gay... They're not even being subtle about it.

Jopie

I think Seth hates family guy and just wants it to end at this point. If they stick to this storyline, he just might get what he wants.

I give it 2 episodes before this change is reversed.

agrajag

Banned
Seriously. You can certainly find the joke unfunny and desperate, but please recognize the joke.

There is no joke. Poochie was already ironic. Not to mention that there was a joke inside a joke in that Simpsons episode with Troy being a reference to Poochie. So they straight up jacked a joke from another show and expect a pat on the back for being self-aware?

SVgA4zf.gif

AlexMogil

I think Seth hates family guy and just wants it to end at this point. If they stick to this storyline, he just might get what he wants.

I give it 2 episodes before this change is reversed.

Yeah all they have to do is redraw all the episodes

I find it hilarious how according to upcoming episodes, they still have like 5 more Brian episodes both this & next season.
"What is consistency?"

SoulPlaya

more money than God
I remember when Peter loved all his kids, including Meg. Then, they went overboard with the Meg hatred, and Peter just went full asshole.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom