• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Smash Bros Brawl Dojo Official Update Thread: Goodbye, Cherry-don

Status
Not open for further replies.

psycho_snake

I went to WAGs boutique and all I got was a sniff
Aras said:
There might be possibilites of having pichu in this Smash, but simply I don't want to have a clone in the game... it's like having the same characters twice but with some variations, rather see other character with new moves and all new T_T

List of "I-don't-want-in-SSBB-characters":

-Pichu
-Mr Game n Watch
-Young Link
-Dr Mario
-Roy
-Ganondorf ( with captn falcon moves )

Better Ganondorf with his Twilight Princess' moves u_u
I dont know about ganondorf. He was one of my faviourite characters in melee. Captain falcon's moveset was the same, but I couldnt use the captain because he moved too quick, so I used ganondorf because he was slower. He had one of the best movesets in the game, however I wouldnt mind it if they changed it so that it would be diffeent to captain flacons moveset, just as long as they make it good.

Scribble

TreIII said:
Likewise. Again, I would gladly take the likes of Lachesis (FE4), Jody Summers and Marth's Pegasus-riding boo, Princess Sheeda, before Krystal, personally.

I wouldn't mind Mona from WarioWare getting in. Her, Dixie and MAYBE Midna are the only female characters with the slightest chance of getting in over Krystal. And I mean the slightest. Maybe Dark Samus if you want to count her. Lol.

RedBoot

Scribble said:
I wouldn't mind Mona from WarioWare getting in. Her, Dixie and MAYBE Midna are the only female characters with the slightest chance of getting in over Krystal. And I mean the slightest. Maybe Dark Samus if you want to count her. Lol.

I'd count Ashley as slightly possible as well since her theme's in the game, and she's probably the second most likely WarioWare character after Mona. Lip is also a very good possibility. I don't see Dixie happening (though you can never have too many monkeys, but I'd rather see Andross, Aipom, or Chimchar/Infernape increase the simian population over her), and Midna seems a bit unlikely as well.

It's very hard to find viable female characters outside of Samus and the Mario franchise, which is why it was such a shame to see Lyn as an Assist Trophy.

TreIII

RedBoot said:
It's very hard to find viable female characters outside of Samus and the Mario franchise, which is why it was such a shame to see Lyn as an Assist Trophy.

I wouldn't think as such. There's plenty of other (and, more importantly, BETTER) females in the Fire Emblem series, besides Lyn. Again, I could only suggest that Sheeda would get in along with Marth, not only to serve as possibly as a unique character element, but, like her boo, she would do more to help advertise for the upcoming FE1 remake for the DS, slated for this year.

And the F-Zero series isn't a slouch, either, for that matter. Jody, Mrs. Arrow, Kate Alen, Kumiko, Jane B. Allen, Megan (who's actually supposed to be a karate expert) and those are just the ones that I can name off the top of my head.

So, it's not like there aren't a veritable wealth of fems to choose from. It just boils down to if Sakurai can be bothered to remember them, or not.

TreIII said:
I wouldn't think as such. There's plenty of other (and, more importantly, BETTER) females in the Fire Emblem series, besides Lyn. Again, I could only suggest that Sheeda would get in along with Marth, not only to serve as possibly as a unique character element, but, like her boo, she would do more to help advertise for the upcoming FE1 remake for the DS, slated for this year.

And the F-Zero series isn't a slouch, either, for that matter. Jody, Mrs. Arrow, Kate Alen, Kumiko, Jane B. Allen, Megan (who's actually supposed to be a karate expert) and those are just the ones that I can name off the top of my head.

So, it's not like there aren't a veritable wealth of fems to choose from. It just boils down to if Sakurai can be bothered to remember them, or not.

No matter what, Lyn would be the best female FE choice for her notability in English regions.

RedBoot

A Link to the Snitch said:
No matter what, Lyn would be the best female FE choice for her notability in English regions.

Yup. I know we got Marth and Roy when nobody knew who they were, but now that FE is reasonably well known in the US, they'd probably go with someone like Lyn or Micaiah (particularly Micaiah since Ike's in).

As for the F-Zero characters, the fact that Goroh isn't playable makes me doubt we'd see anyone other than maybe Black Shadow. Jody Summer is possible, but I really think Falcon's going to be repp'n F-Zero alone once again.

farnham

Banned
Jody Summers would be awesome

I ONLY USE her Whitecat when I play Fzero X or GX

summer.gif

250px-F-zero_wp_m02_jody_800.jpg

TreIII said:
I mean, besides my lil "Akuma/Gouki" thing, I could see them doing anything from giving him a sort of an Order Sol-like "Aura Gauge" that could regulate the power of his moves, for example.

Let B be Lucario's "Charge Meter" move and we have a winner.
Did I mention how much I loved charging that meter ? :D

Jiggy

Danthrax said:
Don't forget FF12's wall of demonic power =P
I gave up on FF after 9 made me realize that it would be the last really done in that style. :( Which is too bad, since FF9 was super great.

JonathanEx said:
How long will it be until Jiggy has a mental breakdown and does stats about his stats? Stay tuned to find out!
:O This sounds reasonably interesting. I'll think about what there is to possibly write about in this regard.

TenshiOni said:
-Lucas' PK Freeze has much better control than PK Flash ever did with Ness
Nice. Hopefully it's actually useful this time.

Rambaldi said:
I do not see the Metroid reference in Jody Summer. Can someone point it out and call me blind? Thanks.
It's too small to make out in those shots, but there's a logo on the upper left of her outfit. And her GX color scheme harkens back to Metroid 1...

Firestorm

Golden Darkness said:
More Jump Festa info found: http://smashboards.com/showthread.php?t=134394

Metagross, Onix, Garchomp, Castform, and Regigigas confirmed in Pokeballs. Metagross seems to use Earthquake while Regigigas uses Crush Grip supposedly.

Rosalina assist the player by providing Star Bits to recover health. A Luma may also appear with her.

The Soccer ball item can't be countered or caught and can turn into flames if it is kicked.

The timer watch item can either slow your opponents or slow you down.

When Regiggas comes out there should be a message like Red's Final Smash where it goes "Regiggas can't get it going due to its slow start" :lol

Onix?

Poo.

I was hoping for Steelix.

Onyx > Steelix

Jiggy37 said:
It's too small to make out in those shots, but there's a logo on the upper left of her outfit. And her GX color scheme harkens back to Metroid 1...
Holy crap I never noticed that before. And I always use Jody Summers in GX. :lol

Im a bit surprised that jiggy hasn't got a tag for all his commendable work on this thread.

Anyways, that faked screenshot forced me to move my ass to my wii and look at the shopping channel :(

Scribble

TreIII said:

Unfortunately, those females are too obscure (But not obscure enough to be likely). Dixie (in her hayday), Mona, Midna and Krystal are the only really stand-out Nintendo females I can think of. And uh, one of the female Pokemon Trainers.

KevinCow

Banned
farnham said:
Seeing these two next to each other, I think it's interesting how they went from a very western comic book style in F-Zero X to kind of a hybrid between the western comic book style and a manga style in GX to a completely anime style in GP Legend and Climax (which makes sense since they were based on the anime). It's just interesting to see the same characters depicted in such vastly different styles.

Also, I would explode with happiness if Dixie was playable, and then I would break down and cry because it would be too hard choosing between her and Diddy every time I played the game.

Meloche

TenshiOni said:
-Onix returns as a Pokeball Pokemon
Onnnnnixxxxx, yessss. I missed him in Melee. The other inclusions are cool too, though I wonder what Castform will do on stages that don't have weather of any kind. Maybe he'll be a dud?
-Soccer Ball item from Mario Strikers
Really? It looks nothing like the Soccer Ball in MSC, which is gray / black and made of metal.
-Rosalina AT apparently throws out star pieces that heal and expels Lumas
Good to see more confirmation of her appearance; means we can continue speculating on the nature of the Galaxy stage that will hopefully be in this game! Along with the Gusty Garden theme, of course. :0)
-Snake plants mines and can remote detonate them
Awesome.

I still sort of wonder why Kirby wasn't playable at E for All. Obviously they aren't hidding anything with him like they are with Zelda, and he's a pretty major character to exclude at that. And while all this new info is nice, I really hope that this doesn't just end up being more content in upcoming Dojo updates that we know about already. I guess there's less of a danger of that now though, what with the game launching in a few weeks and all.

Can anyone tell me who knows: Will I be able to get Smash Bros. Brawl at the Nintendo World Store in NYC on the Ship Date, February 10th? I will wait all night Sat. Night for this one if necessary.

Iam Canadian

and have the worst user name EVER
Jiggy37 said:
I gave up on FF after 9 made me realize that it would be the last really done in that style. :( Which is too bad, since FF9 was super great.

I agree with you. FFIX was the last great Final Fantasy. I may be overrating it just a tad because it almost redeemed the series for VII and VIII (two of the absolute worst, in my opinion) and harkened back to the classic Final Fantasy games. XII wasn't terrible, but it wasn't my favourite, either. I couldn't muster the patience to finish it, at least.

TenshiOni said:
-Lucas' PK Freeze has much better control than PK Flash ever did with Ness

I like. :D PK Flash was cumbersome because it was so slow and you could barely move the Flash. I'm willing to take a hit in power in exchange for more mobility and the freezing effect.

Meloche

TheKingsCrown said:
Can anyone tell me who knows: Will I be able to get Smash Bros. Brawl at the Nintendo World Store in NYC on the Ship Date, February 10th? I will wait all night Sat. Night for this one if necessary.
Yes. When the ship date is a Sunday, that means you'll be able to buy it on that day. All the major retailers across the country should have the game on shelves on the 10th, not just the Nintendo World Store. Pokemon D/P came out on a Sunday and it was the same deal.

KevinCow

Banned
PK Flash was slow and cumbersome, but that just made it all the more awesome when you managed to get a hit in with it. And that split-second right before it explodes, when you and your opponent realize it's going to hit and there's nothing he can do about it is so sweet.

TreIII

Scribble said:
Unfortunately, those females are too obscure (But not obscure enough to be likely). Dixie (in her hayday), Mona, Midna and Krystal are the only really stand-out Nintendo females I can think of. And uh, one of the female Pokemon Trainers.

Link to the Snitch said:

But you're thinking only from the American/Western perspective. If you think only along those lines, then yeah, you only got but so much to work with.

However, I believe Sakurai said a while ago that he was repealing his rulings regarding "Japanese-exclusive" characters, thereby making it so that people like Takamaru and older FE faces may have a shot after all. And again, I can only think that with FE1 getting remade soon enough, that they may pull another face besides Marth from there, as well. Therefore, why I think Sheeda is a possibility; not only is she is a classic icon like Marth, but her status as a Pegasus Knight would stand to do more to help her stand out amongst so many other swordsmen.

Besides, Lyn probably only got in as an Assist Trophy probably more so for the sake of the Americans, who got introduced to FE through her and the game she represented. In Japan, she's not NEARLY as popular as the likes of classical personalities like Sheeda & Lachesis, while the newbies from FE: PoR and RD outshine her because, well, they're new and what's popular at the moment.

It's times like this that I can only but weep on behalf of so many other FE fans who only know about the series, based on what's been translated. Thus, I really hope that the remake of FE1 for the DS comes over here, so that people can get a chance to know what we in the "old-head" faction are talking about when we mention such characters that the newbies have no clue about... ^^;

Order Sol said:
Let B be Lucario's "Charge Meter" move and we have a winner.
Did I mention how much I loved charging that meter ?

"MENDOKUSEE!!!" :lol

Of course, since Luc doesn't have anything like "Focus Energy", would that have to be "Swords Dance" instead?

Meloche said:
I still sort of wonder why Kirby wasn't playable at E for All. Obviously they aren't hiding anything with him like they are with Zelda, and he's a pretty major character to exclude at that.

Catering to the different demographics at hand, more or less.

It goes without saying that Sonic is more popular in the West than he is in Japan, while Kirby is much more popular over there than he certainly is here.

There-in lies the reason why we got Sonic to be playable, while they got Kirby, to say the least.

As for the switch between DK and Wario? Well, I can only imagine that it may be because the West would have more of an affinity for DK, thanks to the Rareware days. Meanwhile, Wario's mini-game series, "Wario-ware" probably would do more to incite people over yonder.

Iam Canadian

KevinCow said:
PK Flash was slow and cumbersome, but that just made it all the more awesome when you managed to get a hit in with it. And that split-second right before it explodes, when you and your opponent realize it's going to hit and there's nothing he can do about it is so sweet.

That's true, there was a definite feeling of accomplishment when you managed to successfully hit someone with PK Flash. Unfortunately, it wasn't well-suited for typical combat situations.

But this was the best use of PK Flash. I'll explain it mathematically.

((PK Flash + Mr. Game & Watch's Bucket) * 3) + Team Mode + Friendly Fire = Pain.

psycho_snake

I went to WAGs boutique and all I got was a sniff
If Rosalina is an AT, then it gives me more hope that we will get a Galaxy related stage. We've got to get one; there's too many great levels in galaxy that can be made into a stage.

I'd love to see a matter splatter level. The stage would be just a few platforms, probably laid out like battlefied, but only bits of that stage will appear at once, just like how part of the ground would appear in matter splatter.

Meloche said:
Yes. When the ship date is a Sunday, that means you'll be able to buy it on that day. All the major retailers across the country should have the game on shelves on the 10th, not just the Nintendo World Store. Pokemon D/P came out on a Sunday and it was the same deal.
Thanks, appreciated.

Who wants to make ban bets that the online portion of it will be laggy as hell for a couple weeks?

TheKingsCrown said:
Since it's Nintendo World, it's a moot point, but yes. NWS always has Nintendo-published games on the ship date, whether it's a Sunday, a Monday, or a Tuesday. For Smash, I would not be surprised if they had a launch event of some sort.

That said, all retailers that are planning to sell it should have the game the Friday before the 10th (which would be the *counts on fingers* 8th). Games don't ship on Sundays, so stores get them beforehand. The possibility of a leak is pretty high, as a lot of stores don't pay attention to the "DO NOT SELL UNTIL 2/10/2008" stickers. I know some friends of mine got Diamond/Pearl a week early from a Wal-Mart.

Akinola

Meloche said:
I still sort of wonder why Kirby wasn't playable at E for All. Obviously they aren't hidding anything with him like they are with Zelda, and he's a pretty major character to exclude at that. And while all this new info is nice, I really hope that this doesn't just end up being more content in upcoming Dojo updates that we know about already. I guess there's less of a danger of that now though, what with the game launching in a few weeks and all.

They didn't wanna release too much info I guess. If i were at the event and kirby was playable, i'd be busy inhaling people and copying them to see what they would look like.

Maybe that's a little too much leeway, even for Sakurai.

RedBoot

TreIII said:
Catering to the different demographics at hand, more or less.

It goes without saying that Sonic is more popular in the West than he is in Japan, while Kirby is much more popular over there than he certainly is here.

There-in lies the reason why we got Sonic to be playable, while they got Kirby, to say the least.

As for the switch between DK and Wario? Well, I can only imagine that it may be because the West would have more of an affinity for DK, thanks to the Rareware days. Meanwhile, Wario's mini-game series, "Wario-ware" probably would do more to incite people over yonder.

So wait, did the Jump Festa demo have different characters than the E for All one? Kirby, Wario, and I assume Lucas over DK and Sonic? Then where are the screenshots of the character select screen and Kirby's transformations? What's Wario's full moveset? Just how close is Lucas's A button moveset to Ness? Or are the japanese fans just not as thorough as the Smashboards crazies?

Jiggy

Meloche said:
I still sort of wonder why Kirby wasn't playable at E for All.
Because then the hat update would have lost 65% of its charm.

ShockingAlberto said:
That said, all retailers that are planning to sell it should have the game the Friday before the 10th (which would be the *counts on fingers* 8th). Games don't ship on Sundays, so stores get them beforehand. The possibility of a leak is pretty high, as a lot of stores don't pay attention to the "DO NOT SELL UNTIL 2/10/2008" stickers. I know some friends of mine got Diamond/Pearl a week early from a Wal-Mart.
I'll be searching my stores early then. :eek: :eek: :eek:
Or ":eek:oo." Whichever it is.

TreIII said:
But you're thinking only from the American/Western perspective. If you think only along those lines, then yeah, you only got but so much to work with.

Besides, Lyn probably only got in as an Assist Trophy probably more so for the sake of the Americans, who got introduced to FE through her and the game she represented. In Japan, she's not NEARLY as popular as the likes of classical personalities like Sheeda & Lachesis, while the newbies from FE: PoR and RD outshine her because, well, they're new and what's popular at the moment.

Even still, I don't see the harm in including a character who has high Western appeal.

Man God

Non-Canon Member
Jiggy37 said:
Because then the hat update would have lost 65% of its charm.

I'll be searching my stores early then. :eek: :eek: :eek:
Or ":eek:oo." Whichever it is.

K-Mart is always the right answer.

Stupid employees, and you're doing them a service by getting them fired for breaking street dates. Win/Win.

Iam Canadian

Knowing Smashboards, I'm surprised that nobody from the site went to Japan just to attend Jump Festa.

I'm going to devour every Lucas-related tidbit, of course. I mean, I'll gather every bit of information I can find, but the Lucas info has special value.

Iam Canadian

JonathanEx said:
And for the doubters, Jiggy probably actually figured out the exact amount of charm lost mathematically.

I think Jiggy is aspiring to become a Mentat, straight out of Frank Herbert's Dune.

That book is awesome. Sorry, what were we talking about?

TreIII

Even still, I don't see the harm in including a character who has high Western appeal.

I don't either (that's the reason why the likes of Sonic got in Brawl, after all).

But considering that FE is, still, a franchise that has far more history and more popularity in Japan, I would be more inclined to believe that they'll do more to cater to the Japanese first, and then the trickle down effect for every one else.

Again, I can only be drawn to believe that the main reason why Lyn ended up as an AT, as opposed to a playable, was because she was meant more like a "shout-out" to the American FE fans who hold her dear, even if she wasn't going to be playable. And I think that's already saying something, considering she didn't have to be at all.

If Lyn got in at playable, over some of the more notable females in the FE lineage both present and current, Sakurai probably would have gotten a few eye-rolls from the JP fans who wanted to see some one that they like, from games they liked, instead of the game that was predominantly crafted for Americans (which they didn't like).:lol

Man God

Non-Canon Member
Wrong answer, bub. Everyone likes FE 7.

Anyways, this game already has quite a smattering of western aimed characters.

TP Link
Snake
Samus
Sonic

All those games do much better in the west.

Iam Canadian

Sounds like a good compromise to me. Sakurai has to keep his Japanese fans happy, too. And as awesome as playable Lyn would have been, having her as an A.T acknowledges both sects of the fanbase.

Don't get me wrong, I'm disappointed that Lyn was unplayable, too. But Sakurai at least acknowledged North American fans by making her an A.T. A lesser developer wouldn't even have given us that.

Of course, though, there will be no excuse if Ness isn't playable.

Edit: Regarding Samus, I think she's pretty even-handed. The 2D Metroid titles are actually good sellers in Japan, I believe. (I'm sure Jiggy will have the exact numbers, of course) Considering Samus' portrayal in this title is almost completely modeled after her 2D appearances, I'd say that Samus was designed for this game to appeal to the Japanese audience. If anything, I'd posit that the Frigate Orpheon stage was the bone thrown to North American Metroid Prime fans.

TreIII

Man God said:
Wrong answer, bub. Everyone likes FE 7.

In the West? That much may be true. But definitely not in Japan-land...

The greater Japanese demographic did not find favor with the game, thanks to its easier difficulty, among other things.

Neither FE6 (its predecessor that starred Roy) nor FE7 made as much of a splash in Japan as any of its predecessors, or its following games. In fact, it took PoR and RD to really start making JP fans happy again, after a rather disappointing series of GBA games.

KittenMaster said:
Doesn't Japan like Ike as well? That may have been the bone thrown to both Western and Eastern audiences.

Whether or not the case was true or not (and it's true), it also helps the fact that Ike is basically the designated "new flavor". PoR/RD are the two newest games, so of course, Ike gets in as a way to help advertise for them.

Whether he'll have as much long-lived appeal as some one like Sigurd, Celis or Marth, or may eventually fade away like Roy or Eliwood, will have to be seen later, but for now, Ike's got it made on both sides of the pond.

Man God said:
Anyways, this game already has quite a smattering of western aimed characters.

TP Link
Snake
Samus
Sonic

All those games do much better in the west.

And I already admitted/alluded to that much.

But again, Sakurai's gotta make sure he doesn't alienate the JP fans either. Which is probably why you can count on seeing WW Link to balance out TP Link (especially in light of how PH was the Zelda game that did the best over there, if I remember correctly).

Iam Canadian said:
Edit: Regarding Samus, I think she's pretty even-handed. The 2D Metroid titles are actually good sellers in Japan, I believe. (I'm sure Jiggy will have the exact numbers, of course) Considering Samus' portrayal in this title is almost completely modeled after her 2D appearances, I'd say that Samus was designed for this game to appeal to the Japanese audience. If anything, I'd posit that the Frigate Orpheon stage was the bone thrown to North American Metroid Prime fans.

The 2D games did do decently.

But by Prime, it definitely was more apparent to the 2D fans/Japanese fans that they weren't wanted, which is why the games have done so poorly over there. Even Fusion and Zero Missions didn't do as well as Nintendo may have hoped, though they certainly have done better than any Prime game over there.

By and large, I would think that if Sakurai was really interested in doing more for the Prime/Western fan-base, he'd probably do things like throw in Omega Pirate as an AT, have Meta Ridley as one of Ridley's alt outfits (even better, Omega Ridley as a FS) or even throw in Dark Samus as a playable. But we'll have to wait and see on that.

Scribble

TreIII said:

However, I believe Sakurai said a while ago that he was repealing his rulings regarding "Japanese-exclusive" characters, thereby making it so that people like Takamaru and older FE faces may have a shot after all. And again, I can only think that with FE1 getting remade soon enough, that they may pull another face besides Marth from there, as well. Therefore, why I think Sheeda is a possibility; not only is she is a classic icon like Marth, but her status as a Pegasus Knight would stand to do more to help her stand out amongst so many other swordsmen.

I wasn't really thinking from a Western perspective, but more of Nintendo "Stars" who happen to be female, instead of just females from Nintendo games.

Dixie Kong: Iconic female character in her hayday. Had two of her own games.

Krystal: Forced her way to the front of the Starfox franchise. 'Active' Nintendo female

Mona: Main character of the extremely successful WarioWare series.

Japanese-only characters are likely, but I doubt Sakurai will overdo it (Considering how popular Stafy is, I'm surprised he was made an AT)

Takamaru I think is VERY likely (Samurai Goroh and Lyn are ATs for a reason), though.

Man God

Non-Canon Member
I still don't think he gets it, EVERYONE loves FE 7. Sure, not many people love FE 6 or 8, but there ain't no one who doesn't love FE 7.

Seriously, you should just admit when you are wrong like a true gentleman. Don't make the rest of the thread post a metric fuckton of FE 7's awesome character art to prove just how wrong you are.

RedBoot

Scribble said:
Takamaru I think is VERY likely (Samurai Goroh and Lyn are ATs for a reason), though.

I was thinking the same thing. There are a lot of "sword guy" ATs already though, Grey Fox and Saki are both similar as well. At any rate, I'd support Takamaru if it meant we'd get his game on the VC.

ShockingAlberto said:
I still don't understand why every new character has to be female.

For me, I'd just like the variety. I imagine most people are in it for the fanart possibilities though.

Scribble

ShockingAlberto said:
I still don't understand why every new character has to be female.

I'd rather a Nintendo character who is iconic/unique, than be put in just because they have a vagina. That's where I was coming from, really -- looking at iconic characters who happen to be female.

I've said this before -- this isn't an original fighting game. This is a Nintendo crossover, and the legacy of these characters eclipses what gender they happen to be.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom