• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Smash Bros Brawl Dojo Official Update Thread: Goodbye, Cherry-don

Status
Not open for further replies.
RedBoot said:
Trophies. An AT might be nice, but a playable character would be a bit of a stretch.

Any attempts to move in a direction would just end with the jet ski's engine revving, and the racer getting a frustrated look on his or her face. Maybe the racer could sort of hop it around a bit. Oh, it would be grand.

For a Final Smash, maybe you could summon dolphins, and then everyone laughs at you because it reminds them of Aquaman.

Jiggy

TreIII said:
It would just be interesting if there was ever a thing where we could see the kinds of things that were left on the cutting room floor for all 3 Smash games. I mean, when you even go to consider how the JP N64 original differed from its US counterpart, I'm sure there are a lot of things that would interest info-geeks like us. :lol
It's too bad it's too late for this, but something like a preorder disc with some interviews for Sakurai and the other developers would have been really awesome and insightful.

I mean, the wikipedia article alone quotes such things like how the game was originally slated to be a SNES/SFAM game, and utilize the FX2 chip. Dunno if that's true (given the source material), but it would be nice if there was a repository of info some where.

After all, if it was meant for the SNES at one point, that might give another plus to the notion of how Smash evolved from the Super Star/Super Deluxe engine... :D
Yep. Personally, I really just want to hear them admit it upfront some time. Just say "Yes, Smash Bros. came about because HAL's Kirby Super Star engine seemed viable for a fighting game" or whatever the truth is.

Rambaldi

TreIII said:
It would just be interesting if there was ever a thing where we could see the kinds of things that were left on the cutting room floor for all 3 Smash games. I mean, when you even go to consider how the JP N64 original differed from its US counterpart, I'm sure there are a lot of things that would interest info-geeks like us. :lol

I mean, the wikipedia article alone quotes such things like how the game was originally slated to be a SNES/SFAM game, and utilize the FX2 chip. Dunno if that's true (given the source material), but it would be nice if there was a repository of info some where.

After all, if it was meant for the SNES at one point, that might give another plus to the notion of how Smash evolved from the Super Star/Super Deluxe engine... :D

Wow, I've never heard this before. Is there any "comprehensive" list or anything or this trivia? B/c Wiki doesn't have most of it.

TreIII

Jiggy37 said:
Yep. Personally, I really just want to hear them admit it upfront some time. Just say "Yes, Smash Bros. came about because HAL's Kirby Super Star engine seemed viable for a fighting game" or whatever the truth is.

All we CAN peace together, given the info we do possess, is that Sakurai definitely did have plans for the engine, and probably wanted to use it to craft a story.

However, Miyamoto has been recently quoted that he "wanted Sakurai to focus on the MP aspects" of the game, which is why we probably why we've gotten Smash as we know it today, instead of something like the "Subspace Emissary" from the jump.

It would have been interesting if circumstances were otherwise. Maybe Smash Bros. would have been more like Guardian Heroes, in a way, where the story mode was the real meat and potatoes, and the multiplayer would have evolved into something serious down the road...

Rambaldi said:
Wow, I've never heard this before. Is there any "comprehensive" list or anything or this trivia? B/c Wiki doesn't have most of it.

To my knowledge...nope.

But if you do have access to things like niconico video (and after sp0rsk's helpful topics, you really should), you could give a gander to how the JP versions of the games were different, if you knew where to look.

For instance, I recognized from one vid (it was a "Serious!" Ness vs. Samus match), that the sound effects for the JP N64 game were definitely different from the US version. Overall, they sounded much more cartoony...

Here's an example of what I mean: http://www.nicovideo.jp/watch/sm1916803

^ In this one, Player Kirby basically decimates a bunch of CPUs. But notice how the sound effects are quite different, in addition, for Kirby's victory screen, his "Camp Logo" (the Warp Star) does NOT appear.

And here's the Ness vs. Samus match I was refering to: http://www.nicovideo.jp/watch/sm1780047

...Ness' R Shield looks weird for some reason...

Jiggy

TreIII said:
For instance, I recognized from one vid (it was a "Serious!" Ness vs. Samus match), that the sound effects for the JP N64 game were definitely different from the US version. Overall, they sounded much more cartoony...

Wow. The game's instantly at least 10% better because of this. :eek: I mean, the sound is still campy and ridiculous, which is good, but it also sounds something like an actual hit.

Meloche

Jiggy37 said:
It's too bad it's too late for this, but something like a preorder disc with some interviews for Sakurai and the other developers would have been really awesome and insightful.
They'd have to do voice-overs for the whole thing though in all the different languages... not so sure that it's really a feasible option. Personally, I'd be ecstatic to see a nice big Iwata Asks Brawl series. Have a few Volumes with Sakurai, another with a bunch of the HAL staffers working on the game, maybe one with Miyamoto, and another with some newbies that joined just for Brawl. All the previous ones were great reads, and I'd love to have some insight into the SSBB's development process from start to finish, planning for Dojo updates, etc.

TreIII said:
All we CAN piece together, given the info we do possess, is that Sakurai definitely did have plans for the engine, and probably wanted to use it to craft a story.

However, Miyamoto has been recently quoted that he "wanted Sakurai to focus on the MP aspects" of the game, which is why we probably why we've gotten Smash as we know it today, instead of something like the "Subspace Emissary" from the jump.

It would have been interesting if circumstances were otherwise. Maybe Smash Bros. would have been more like Guardian Heroes, in a way, where the story mode was the real meat and potatoes, and the multiplayer would have evolved into something serious down the road...
First the Galaxy interview where the developer admits he has to sneak story elements past Miyamoto and now a reminder of this make me wonder why Shiggy hates stories so much. As the guy who pretty much established the idea of video game narratives with the original Donkey Kong, you'd think he'd have more respect for them. I know that this aversion to stories lessens my respect for him, anyway.

I bought The Orange Box on a whim during Steam's holiday sale, and Half-Life 2 has made me realize just how much a comprehensive story can do for a game. Then again, I guess complex stories don't cater to Nintendo's "everyone" market, especially with Mario games and the like. (Don't get me wrong. I love Galaxy and have achieved 120 stars and beyond; I just think it could have been even more memorable with an intelligent storyline and decent character interactions, like in the Paper Mario series, which Shiggy has little to do with.)

Zeed

Banned
SuperAngelo64 said:
060324-N-5863B-001.jpg

Good to have you back, soldier.

Rambaldi

I just registered for that site, and I must say I do like the other sound effects... But I guess I love the US versions more b/c it is what I am used to. Haha.

I'd still love to see what was "planned" for Smash but never materialized. Like wasn't Mach Rider already in Melee, but just removed or something? I don't know, its some rumor I read somewhere.

Jiggy

Meloche said:
Personally, I'd be ecstatic to see a nice big Iwata Asks Brawl series. Have a few Volumes with Sakurai, another with a bunch of the HAL staffers working on the game, maybe one with Miyamoto, and another with some newbies that joined just for Brawl.
I agree, this would be superb. Mostly I'd just like to hear the developers talk about how they'd playtest Brawl and figure out the proper character/move balancing given all their experience with thousands of hours of Melee...

Aras

Hey did you guys remember that sakurai requested smash players to suggest him possible new characters in Brawl???

In nintendo of japan was this anouncement published, sadly it was just meant for japanese people

Whatever, I sent my request of having Isaac from Golden Sun in a japanese letter directly to sakurai xD lol

Did anyone send a letter too?? What character did you choose?

Aras said:
Hey did you guys remember that sakurai requested smash players to suggest him possible new characters in Brawl???

In nintendo of japan was this anouncement published, sadly it was just meant for japanese people

Whatever, I sent my request of having Isaac from Golden Sun in a japanese letter directly to sakurai xD lol

Did anyone send a letter too?? What character did you choose?

All of YTMND banded together and spammed the poll requesting "Doc Louis" and the infamous Punch-Out "Bicycle" song.

justchris

Jiggy37 said:
I can't remember if I've said this anywhere before--probably not, for fear of getting lambasted--but I'd kind of like to see the meltdowns if the next non-remake FE was, like, Fire Emblem 11 Hyper Genki Edition.
You know, AW goes post-apocalyptic in an attempt to appeal to the West (its current best territory) while FE goes cutesy in an attempt to appeal to the East (its former best territory), or something like that, as part of a grand Intelligent Systems experiment.

I would be all over that. I mean, I'm already going to be all over AW:DoR, but I'd be all over FE:HGE, too.

RedBoot said:
I actually liked Assault, to some extent. The storyline (and Krystal's involvement) were tolerable, and what little time you did spend in the Arwings was pretty good. If it had just been made with closer to 80-90% Arwing missions, it would have been really nice. As it was, it made for a decent rental, but I don't think I'd buy it.

I just wanna see a true sequel to Star Fox 64, but I don't think you could make such a game for full price these days.

Honestly, I think Nintendo needs to do to Star Fox what they did to F-Zero, farm it out to a 3rd party who could make it more awesome than they ever could. I'm looking squarely at Treasure here. Imagine what those guys could do with a Nintendo 1st party level budget. Buckets for collecting drool are over there -->

justchris said:
Honestly, I think Nintendo needs to do to Star Fox what they did to F-Zero, farm it out to a 3rd party who could make it more awesome than they ever could. I'm looking squarely at Treasure here. Imagine what those guys could do with a Nintendo 1st party level budget. Buckets for collecting drool are over there -->
Logically, Namco should have been able to do something with it. They just...didn't.

I have faith in Q for the next game, however. The DS hindered them on a lot of stuff they wanted to do (couldn't do a full 3D shooter they wanted, had to use small arenas, had to fix the story...though that's not really the DS's fault). They have admitted they know that people want an on-rails flight game for the next one, so hopefully they're making it for the Wii.

So, now that Japan is getting the game in just 3 weeks that means EVERYONE will know all the secrets in just 3 weeks. That is, everyone that wants too. Theres no doubt that within a day of the games release in Japan, all information and hidden character info can be found. But the question is, do you want to know? Or will you wait till Feb. 10th when you get the game? I don't think I'll have much of a choice because no doubt they will be mentioned on Neogaf and I'm sure as hell not leaving here.

perfectchaos007 said:
So, now that Japan is getting the game in just 3 weeks that means EVERYONE will know all the secrets in just 3 weeks. That is, everyone that wants too. Theres no doubt that within a day of the games release in Japan, all information and hidden character info can be found. But the question is, do you want to know? Or will you wait till Feb. 10th when you get the game? I don't think I'll have much of a choice because no doubt they will be mentioned on Neogaf and I'm sure as hell not leaving here.
I do not want to know, but I know realistically I will not be able to avoid the spoilers. Even if I leave GAF, other boards I go to will likely be talking about in threads not even related to Smash Bros., people will have it in their avatars and signatures, etc.

The most likely situation is I'm going to click on the Dojo thread and start reading, completely forgetting I'm on a blackout.

justchris

Jiggy37 said:

Maybe they'll do an 'Iwata Asks' for this game. It seems likely, since they did one for TP & SMG, and this is there next major game release.

ShockingAlberto said:
Logically, Namco should have been able to do something with it. They just...didn't.

I have faith in Q for the next game, however. The DS hindered them on a lot of stuff they wanted to do (couldn't do a full 3D shooter they wanted, had to use small arenas, had to fix the story...though that's not really the DS's fault). They have admitted they know that people want an on-rails flight game for the next one, so hopefully they're making it for the Wii.

Yeaaaaah...Namco...I don't know, nothing in their history really tells me they were the right guys for a space shooter. I could see them handling a lot of other games, but I never thought Star Fox was really a good fit for Namco.

Yeah, Q is definitely a capable studio, and I can imagine they'd have a lot more freedom working on Wii over DS. I'll continue to Believe.

Cynar

TreIII said:

^ In this one, Player Kirby basically decimates a bunch of CPUs. But notice how the sound effects are quite different, in addition, for Kirby's victory screen, his "Camp Logo" (the Warp Star) does NOT appear.

And here's the Ness vs. Samus match I was refering to: http://www.nicovideo.jp/watch/sm1780047

...Ness' R Shield looks weird for some reason...

the second video is played using an n64 emulator, that's why there are glitches.

edit: beaten :D

justchris said:
Maybe they'll do an 'Iwata Asks' for this game. It seems likely, since they did one for TP & SMG, and this is there next major game release.

Yeaaaaah...Namco...I don't know, nothing in their history really tells me they were the right guys for a space shooter. I could see them handling a lot of other games, but I never thought Star Fox was really a good fit for Namco.

Yeah, Q is definitely a capable studio, and I can imagine they'd have a lot more freedom working on Wii over DS. I'll continue to Believe.

The only way to do for Star Fox what GX did for F-Zero is to hand it over to SEGA. F-Zero was basically an arcade racer, and SEGA dominated that genre. Star Fox would lend itself well to a pure arcade shooter, which would be legendary in the hands of a developer like AM2. They could develop an arcade version too!
two Triforces taped together?
That would literally be a dream come true for me.

KevinCow

Banned
PowerSmell said:
The only way to do for Star Fox what GX did for F-Zero is to hand it over to SEGA. F-Zero was basically an arcade racer, and SEGA dominated that genre. Star Fox would lend itself well to a pure arcade shooter, which would be legendary in the hands of a developer like AM2. They could develop an arcade version too!
two Triforces taped together?
That would literally be a dream come true for me.
If I remember correctly, they originally planned to make an arcade version of Assault (called Armada at the time, much better name too, why'd they change it?).

I remember SF64.

That thing is awesome. Not was. Is.

I was looking forward to the GC iteration, but when I saw that, well, it didn't look anything like the 64 version, I didn't bite.

Scribble

FlightOfHeaven said:
I remember SF64.

That thing is awesome. Not was. Is.

Yep, I agree. I played it a few months ago and it was as great as ever. I can more or less recite the whole script!

And Wolf was actually cool back then =X

Shiggy

justchris said:

Are you sure that they work on a Wii game? Their history only lists two DS projects and the Pixel Junk series.

www.q-games.com

Stage On

I have the new EGM and the Smash story is nothing special and it dosn't tell us anything we didn't already know which is no suprise. It's more of a primer to get you ready to play the game then something giving out secrets.

As for avoiding spoilers I say bring em on. I read spoilers all the time and they never really affect my enjoyment of a something for some wierd reason.

Chao

Scribble said:
Yep, I agree. I played it a few months ago and it was as great as ever. I can more or less recite the whole script!

And Wolf was actually cool back then =X

:( Sadly, yeah, me too.

"I WON'T LET YOU TO GET AWAY FROM ME!"
"WOAH! CAN YOU MAKE IT?"
"YOUR FATHER HELPED ME LIKE THAT TOO!"
"JEEZ LAWEEZ, WHAT IS THAT"
"I'VE BEEN SAVED BY FOX, HOW SWELL"
"I'M NO MATCH FOR YOU... I ADMIT... DEFEAT"
"MY EMPEROOOOR! I FAILED YOOOOU!"
"DO A BARREL ROLL!"
"ANDROSS' ENEMY IS MY ENEMY!"

etc.

u_u

MisterHero

TreIII said:

The game for Super Famicom was called Fighting Polygons, and yes, the Fighting Polygon team from Smash 64 is a reference to that game. I have the EGM that previews it.

It was going to semi-competition for Virtua Fighter but then Nintendo went with Killer Instinct.

Scribble

Chao said:
:( Sadly, yeah, me too.

"WOAH! CAN YOU MAKE IT?"
"DO A BARREL ROLL!"

etc.

u_u

"COCKY LITTLE FREAKS!"
"WHO ARE YOU GUYS? We're Starfox! YOU'LL NEVER DEFEAT ANDROOOOOOOOOOSS!"
"Annoying bird, I am the great LEON!"
"Can't let you do that, STAR FOX!"
"Scratch one bogey!"
"Use the boost to get through!"
"Don't pardy just YET"
"Andross has ordered us to take you down!"
"Foox, that was one of ours!"
"Your daddy screamed REAAAAAAAAL good before he DIED!"
"I love you Slippy." "Thanks Peppy."

Man, what a brilliant game.

Man God

Non-Canon Member
Little under 350 posts to go.

I think it has an outside chance of happening right before the next update. Wild predictions will spur most of it, maybe some discussion about everyone's favorite Star Fox character.

Kletian

chao said:
"WOAH! CAN YOU MAKE IT?"
"DO A BARREL ROLL!"

etc.

Scribble said:
"COCKY LITTLE FREAKS!"
"WHO ARE YOU GUYS? We're Starfox! YOU'LL NEVER DEFEAT ANDROOOOOOOOOOSS!"
"Annoying bird, I am the great LEON!"
"Can't let you do that, STAR FOX!"
"Scratch one bogey!"
"Use the boost to get through!"
"Don't pardy just YET"
"Andross has ordered us to take you down!"
"Foox, that was one of ours!"
"Your daddy screamed REAAAAAAAAL good before he DIED!"
"I love you Slippy." "Thanks Peppy."

Man, what a brilliant game.

"You'll be seeing your dad soon Fox!"
"Andross has ordered us to take you down"
"Let's see how you like our new ships"
"Too bad dad's not here to see you FAIL!"
"Playtme is over Star Fox"
"You're good, but I'm better!"
"UNCLE ANDRRROOSS"
"Only I have the brains to Rule Lylat!"

I loved Team Star Wolf

traveler

Not Wario
I hate to break up whatever it is you guys are doing in here, but you do realize the latest EGM's coverstory is Smash Bros. and that no one in the EGM thread besides me is requesting info? Now, get in there and end all the petty rumor/score discussions.

Kletian

Just a page prior.

Stage On said:
I have the new EGM and the Smash story is nothing special and it dosn't tell us anything we didn't already know which is no suprise. It's more of a primer to get you ready to play the game then something giving out secrets.

As for avoiding spoilers I say bring em on. I read spoilers all the time and they never really affect my enjoyment of a something for some wierd reason.

TreIII

traveler said:
I hate to break up whatever it is you guys are doing in here, but you do realize the latest EGM's coverstory is Smash Bros. and that no one in the EGM thread besides me is requesting info? Now, get in there and end all the petty rumor/score discussions.

For what reason?

We've been over this before; in the end, EGM's story is probably not going to cover any more new ground than CoroCoro's a month ago. They'll probably just re-gurgitate the information from the Dojo updates, maybe even touch on the things from E 4 All and the Jump Festa play tests, and that's about all we can hope for.

Short of them personally taking the time to strap Sakurai to a chair, and basically going "Good Cop/Bad Cop" on him until he spills the beans, there's no feasible way to belief that EGM will have anything new to tell...if they even have anything worthy to tell in the first place.

Scribble

CreatureX3 said:
I love that line. We need a proper SF64 Wii sequel. :D

Will they ever nail the script again, that's the question.

I mean, it wasn't as if it was written by great writers. It just had that X FACTOR, which I fear they will never capture ever again.

Assault's script wasn't memorable at all. It was so dry.

TreIII

In case people were interested at all, here is the most recent update from SmashBoards regarding the JumpFesta news-breaks.

This is a google translation of the JumpFiesta impressions thread.
Btw, SamuraiPanda, I know you were looking for something like this. In Japan, Forums are still refered to as BBS (bulletin board systems) or 掲示板 not "forums". That'll help your search.
http://sumabura-x.com is the site. it's the Japanese counterpart to http://www.smashbrawl.com

I also found this: http://72.14.203.104/translate_c?hl=en&langpair=ja|en&u=http://whss.biz/~blue-s4/info/characters.htm

Which has ATTACK PERCENTAGES for characters. I guess there were some pros at JumpFiesta

Found a bigger site/blog http://smamix.com
They reveal what the soccer ball and clock do here: http://smamix.com/article/75690366.html

This is their forum though I can't navigate it because google can't translate it when I click PHP links: http://sumamix.11.bbs.fc2.com/

NEW INFO:
Pokémon:

* Metagross - Definitely uses Earthquake
* Onix
* Garchomp
* Castform
* Gardevoir
* Regigigas - Starts out slow and gradually turns red, until it uses what they think is Crush Grip

Assist Trophies:

* Duster
* Rosalina/Rosetta - throws out star pieces for a few seconds, and that if you pick them up, you'll recover health. A Luma comes out with her.
* Sothe (SAZA) from Fire Emblem Series
* Lakitu (JUGEMU)
* Group ofPegasus Knights from Fire Emblem Series - "they attack in a group or something, with a Falcon Knight"
He said because nives are banned, he attacks with a soumersalt kick.
* Jill Dozer ("drill girl with pink hair" but no doubt there)

Character Specific:

* Pokemon Trainer speaks for his Final Smash (meaning VO)
* Pit speaks for his Final Smash (meaning VO)
* Snake's Mine is remotely triggered not proximity based
* Fox is unable to move when he shoots his blaster in the air (may be referring to being able to turn around with your neutral B in the air maybe)
* Kirby is stronger than he was in Melee
- up air is weaker
- dash attack is the changed to spin from his YoYo ability. See it here: http://www.gametrailers.com/player/26662.html at 1:38 & 1:42
- Can no longer escape from his back throw anymore.
- His final smash not only sucks in enemies, but it sucks in nearby items as well. And when there are alot of the a single item that are sucked in, they can come out as the same item don't quite understand what he's saying here

Items:

* Timer/Clock - Slows your opponents down, but it will sometimes flub like the hammer, and if that happens, YOU will slow down instead. So it's like grabbing "dynamite"!
* Soccer Ball - Cannot be countered or caught and it turns into fire when you kick it.
* Sandbag

Music:

* BGM siege warfare, "the theme of Fire" and the fiery "Bern superpower" (placeholder, will correct to real english)

----------------------------

Translations:

Quote:
OK, found something. Someone on there claims that Metagross, Onix, Garchomp, Castform, and Gardevoir are in balls (we knew Gardevoir already of course). They further say that Metagross hovers above the ground and stabs it, causing an earthquake.
This person also reports Duster, Rosetta (Rosalina), and Sothe as ATs (as well as Lakitu and Samurai Goroh) and that Sandbag-kun is an item.

Quote:
Oh, there's more in the comments, no wonder I missed it.

One person claims Regigigas, Metagross, and Garchomp are in balls. They say Regigigas starts out slow and gradually turns red, until it uses what they think is Crush Grip. They also say that Metagross definitely uses Earthquake.
Quote:
One person says "Latias appears (calls Latios)". I'm not sure what that means. I guess maybe that they're the same ball summon, and that Latias appears first, who calls Latios to come in too? Could explain why they do the same attack.
Also says that Pokemon Trainer and Pit say something with their final smashes, so I guess PT has a VA after all. On the other site, I believe they said PT says Ikuzo! Sanmittai! which, if the English version uses the same as the English site does, will be "Take that! Triple Finish!"

They also say Wario's techniques are slow to come out, but he's powerful.

^^^Kimahri Ronso from GameFaqs via Pieman0920^^^
Quote:
Originally Posted by WeeklyJumpman View Post
The soccerball item is an attack that cannot be countered or caught and it turns into fire when you kick it.

The Timer item slows your opponents down, but it will sometimes flub like the hammer, and if that happens, YOU will slow down instead. So it's like grabbing "dynamite"!

It states that Rosalina throws out star pieces for a few seconds, and that if you pick them up, you'll recover health. And the writer also states that a Luma comes out with her.
Quote:
Originally Posted by SamuraiPanda
"Fox
- It seems like he was nerfed a bit from his Melee version
- His forward smash has a slightly different feel to it.
- His [Japanese] voice actor is the same from StarFox Assault (his name is Nojima)
- [He talks about what Fox says when he wins, which is probably specific to the Japanese version]
- He is unable to move when he shoots his blaster in the air [I think he may be referring to being able to turn around with your neutral B in the air maybe].

Kirby
- He is stronger than he was in Melee
- His up air is weaker
- His dash attack is the spin from his YoYo ability [I'm sure someone knows what he is referring to]
- Can no longer escape from his back throw anymore.
- His final smash not only sucks in enemies, but it sucks in nearby items as well. And when there are alot of the a single item that are sucked in, they can come out as the same item [I don't quite understand what he's saying here].

Mario's tornado is now down air.
* On December 27th, 2007 the Japan-Only Everybody's Nintendo Wii Channel posted up two new videos (not Brawl specific).
This is one of them: http://www.revver.com/video/588006/e...trailer-dec27/
It contains only about 8 seconds of Brawl footage which I believe is just recycled.

- http://smashboards.com/showthread.php?t=134394

Kirby's changes sound AWESOME. Gone is the wimpy marshmallow from Melee, and returning in true from for Brawl seems to be the bad-ass creampuff from the stars, as he was in SSB64. I'm also glad that you can't friggin' escape from his back throw any more...!

Kletian

OK, so, for pokeballs we have

Metagross
Onyx
Latios/Latias
Garchomp
Regigigas
Castform
Chikorita
Meowth
Bonsley
Gardevoir
Piplup
Kyogre
Torchic
Munchlax
Deoxys
Groudon

(Most if not all previous pokemon including but not limited to)
Goldeen
Suicune
Lugia
Entei
Bellossum
Ho-Oh
Snorlax
Celebi
Mew
Wobbuffet
Togepi
Staryu

Not to mention the other in-game Pokemon
Mewtwo/Lucario
Pikachu
Trainer w/ Squirtle/Ivysaur/Charizard
Jigglypuff
Rayquaza

I enjoy the pokemon games and all, but isn't this just a touch on the shade of overkill? I mean I know we have ATs to kinda counterbalance this but thats still 35 pokemon.

Edit: on the bright side though, at least this sends the randomness of the pokeballs through the roof. Melee's pokemon got kinda boring.

TreIII

Kletian said:
I enjoy the pokemon games and all, but isn't this just a touch on the shade of overkill? I mean I know we have ATs to kinda counterbalance this but thats still 35 pokemon.

Pokemon is still one of the most popular franchises in Ninty's stable, as well as something that sells consistently well. Of course it's going to get plenty of representation. The only Ninty franchise that outright rivals the Pokeymans in that respect is Mario (who's got at least 6 playable reps right now, and a good number of ATs to its credit at the moment, too).

So, when you put it the respect that Mario and Pokemon are basically in the same neighborhood, you can either look at it in the respect that neither is alone in this light, or that we've got too much on both of their ends, in which case, we should be complaining about both of them equally.

Iam Canadian

and have the worst user name EVER
Thanks for the great info, TreIII, there's a lot of good stuff there.

It's nice to see they ditched Kirby's fireball in favour of his yo-yo spin. Yo-yo was always my favourite ability in Kirby Super Star and not just because of the Earthbound reference.

Jiggy

I've found yet another vocal song to hope is in Brawl--and this one just might be really likely since it's from the Kirby series.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ST2ZdkURAOw

Either the first or second song played in this video would be nice. :D (Preferably the second--which starts at 3:34, with the singing at 4:06.) Maybe I say this just because I love cheesy stuff like this, though.
Sidenote: The Bomb power is really fun to actually use, but mindblowingly boring to watch in a video. :| Especially when the person doesn't tend to use angled shots, bomb drops, and running throws.

Scribble

Jiggy37 said:
Sidenote: The Bomb power is really fun to actually use, but mindblowingly boring to watch in a video. :| Especially when the person doesn't tend to use angled shots, bomb drops, and running throws.

One of the most satisfying-to-use abilities!

Meloche

Kletian said:
I enjoy the Pokemon games and all, but isn't this just a touch on the shade of overkill? I mean I know we have ATs to kinda counterbalance this but thats still 35 Pokemon.
As long as the roster of playable fighters isn't jam packed with Pokemon, I see no reason to complain. The more Pokeball Pokemon [and Assist Trophies, for that matter], the better. For the record there were 29 Pokeball Pokemon in Melee, and I would expect there to be a few more in Brawl.

justchris

I am loving the Kirby changes. Kirby went from being my main in SSB64 to never being used in SSBM. I don't know if he's gonna be my main in SSBB, Metaknight just looks too awesome, but he might end up being my secondary.

Sciz

- dash attack is the changed to spin from his YoYo ability.

Yeeeessssssssss. This will be so much better than Fireball, especially if it still has the crazy maneuverability from KSS.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom