• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Xbox One Launch Thread [Thread being archived 1/1/14]

Does anyone have a guide to altering their TV settings to get the best out of the xbox one?

It feels like it has a weird contrast/brightness issue. I'm hopeless at this sort of thing.

derFeef

What's up with your Xbox? Any defect?

Fan rattling.
But I am not going to give my One away for about 2 weeks - really thought I would get a new one and send my current one in when that arrives, like everyone seems to.
Must be a regional thing.

Hyunickel

Neo Member
Just got my replacement! First impressions, the system is quieter than my first Xbox although not as quiet as I thought it would be. The crackling noise that I used to hear is not audible in this unit. Seems to be pretty good. My first Xbox had this weird sound coming out of the fans, so this is looking a lot better. There is still definitely sound, but it's not the same crackling from fans that I heard. Will be testing it for a while, then plugging my other one to compare.

RulkezX

Dunno if this is allowed in this thread ( or if there is a thread for it) , but I picked up a XO today , however they only had the FIFA bundle and I already have it for PS4.

Anyone got/willing to trade a FIFA code for Forza 5 ?

I was thinking going full digital, is it ok?

I want to go digital but there's no incentive to besides being able to quickly switch between games. And in my opinion, getting the games less than retail price is a bigger deal for me. I have BF4, Lego Marvel, and Dead Rising and I paid $100 total for them.

Bring the digital prices down Microsoft! And let Amazon sell digital codes!

I must have really lucked out on the quietness front. My XB1 is basically silent. I can only hear it very slightly if it's spinning a disc, and if it's not I can only hear it if I put my ear right next to it. I love having a quiet console.

I'm curious about the console supposedly downloading updates automatically. I booted up Call of Duty this morning and it said I had a 700mb update to download. Strange that it didn't auto download overnight. Has anyone had an update auto download for them? Does it tell you it happened?

JaggedSac

Does anyone have a guide to altering their TV settings to get the best out of the xbox one?

It feels like it has a weird contrast/brightness issue. I'm hopeless at this sort of thing.

There is a calibration tool in the settings menu somewhere that takes you through a set of patterns that help set various things on your tv.

Doffen

News regarding ID@Xbox.

A few confirmed developers:

Inis, Comcept, Vlambeer, Double Eleven, Slightly Mad Studios, Born Ready, Crytek, Happion Labs, Definition 6, Team 17, Panic Button, Double Fine, Drinkbox, Team Colorblind, Signal Studios, Zen Studios, Bongfish, Half-Brick, Ninja Bee, Zeboyd Games, Nicalis, he Men Who Wear Many Hats, Iron Galaxy, Jackbox Games, High Voltage Software, Capy, Behaviour, Hidden Path, Gaijin Games, The Odd Gentlemen, Way Forward and Other Ocean.

Confirmed Games:
Energy Hook, Shoot Many Robots and Divekick.
+ Cosmic Star Heroine

op_ivy

Fallen Xbot (cannot continue gaining levels in this class)
News regarding ID@Xbox.

Inis, Comcept, Vlambeer, Double Eleven, Slightly Mad Studios, Born Ready, Crytek, Happion Labs, Definition 6, Team 17, Panic Button, Double Fine, Drinkbox, Team Colorblind, Signal Studios, Zen Studios, Bongfish, Half-Brick, Ninja Bee, Zeboyd Games, Nicalis, he Men Who Wear Many Hats, Iron Galaxy, Jackbox Games, High Voltage Software, Capy, Behaviour, Hidden Path, Gaijin Games, The Odd Gentlemen, Way Forward and Other Ocean.

Confirmed Games:

slightly mad studios. not a surprise, but still put a smile on my face. bring on project cars.

Marleyman

Banned
Back from my "vacation" and I would like to post some of my impressions so far.

- Love the OS; it took some time to get used to it but I have grown to like it.
- Kinect voice commands are on point; much more than I ever thought it would.
- I have Madden, BF4, DR3 and KI; love them all for different reasons. I will get Ryse here soon.
- Party chat situation is not as bad as many are making it out to be.
- Game downloads seem a bit slow
- Love the controller; analogs sticks are much improved..the grip is awesome

Some nitpicks:

- I need more notifications; especially for friends that come on.
- Access to our hard drive..that is mind boggling that we can't manage it on our own

Marleyman

Banned
I must have really lucked out on the quietness front. My XB1 is basically silent. I can only hear it very slightly if it's spinning a disc, and if it's not I can only hear it if I put my ear right next to it. I love having a quiet console.

I'm curious about the console supposedly downloading updates automatically. I booted up Call of Duty this morning and it said I had a 700mb update to download. Strange that it didn't auto download overnight. Has anyone had an update auto download for them? Does it tell you it happened?

My console is also super quiet; are there reports of loud One's?

Redshirt

Banned

The Killer Instinct update and the Call of Duty update you're referring to auto-downloaded for me, but they didn't install until I started the game and OK'd it.

EDIT: Wait. K.I. did auto-download, but CoD apparently didn't.

Demojay13

I pre-ordered battlefield 4 with video-ezy which was about $40 cheaper than retail in Australia. Just got a response after 3 emails and 2 weeks after launch. We have just recieved stock expect a 3-10 days for shipping . I should have known it was too good to be true

Redshirt

Banned
I just got my PDP Kinect mounts in the mail from Best Buy after Amazon had cancelled my pre-order at the last minute. Maybe a little pricey at $20, but it looks nice and works well.

Ambient80

- I have Madden, BF4, DR3 and KI; love them all for different reasons. I will get Ryse here soon.

Some nitpicks:

- Access to our hard drive..that is mind boggling that we can't manage it on our own

I gotta disagree there. I feel like the party situation is the biggest black eye on the Xbox One. It took me and a friend 30 minutes to get into a party to play Extinction last night, and our NAT settings are fine now. That's unacceptable. It took us about five or ten seconds on the 360 before the XBO was released.

I gotta disagree there. I feel like the party situation is the biggest black eye on the Xbox One. It took me and a friend 30 minutes to get into a party to play Extinction last night, and our NAT settings are fine now. That's unacceptable. It took us about five or ten seconds on the 360 before the XBO was released.

How did you get yours working? My friend and I are completely unable to make party chat work. We can get into a game together and chat with skype, but we always get the "unable to start chat" error when trying to turn on party chat. His NAT has been open all along, and I got mine to show as Open with some router tweaking, but still no luck.

Anyone have any tips or help?

Ambient80

How did you get yours working? My friend and I are completely unable to make party chat work. We can get into a game together and chat with skype, but we always get the "unable to start chat" error when trying to turn on party chat. His NAT has been open all along, and I got mine to show as Open with some router tweaking, but still no luck.

I wish I had a better answer, but honestly I just kept trying again and again. Out of probably 50 attempts we got it about ten times, but several of those we would get randomly booted from either voice chat or the party completely. We knew we could use Skype but it was more of a "What can we do to make party work?" and unfortunately that answer seemed to be brute force.

I wish I had a better answer, but honestly I just kept trying again and again. Out of probably 50 attempts we got it about ten times, but several of those we would get randomly booted from either voice chat or the party completely. We knew we could use Skype but it was more of a "What can we do to make party work?" and unfortunately that answer seemed to be brute force.
The next time u load Ur XB1 it will go back to strict or moderate I'm afraid. Happened to a lot of us.

I was worried you would say that! Haha. Thanks for the reply.

I've read a lot about getting the NAT to Open with UPNP, port forwarding, and etc.but nobody seems to have any sort of clear answer. Even after successfully "fixing" that I'm still no go.

I just wish they had stuck with the great chat and invite system from the 360 and slowly integrated in a new system once it was iron clad. Guess this is the price we pay for being early adopters.

Shrennin

Didn't get the memo regarding the 14th Amendment
I think it's OS related as the thing is buggy as hell. I've had some game crashes and IE crashes and the OS slowing down to a crawl just from doing regular game and app switching. For the biggest software company in the world it is really disappointing to see them put out something that is can best be described as beta software.

happened to me during an online match of ryse

had to restart

It's most probably software-based, since you can usually fix it by launching other games, or manually forcing the closure of the games. I would say it looks like an issue with the save state, that won't let the active game continue, but won't let it die either (it's a possible explanation anyway). So other games won't start either if you don't shut it down first.

I guess the silver lining in this is that it should be fixable, being an OS/software issue. I'm just glad it's not a hardware issue.

Some nitpicks:

Party chat is a disaster.

no angel

I was worried you would say that! Haha. Thanks for the reply.

I've read a lot about getting the NAT to Open with UPNP, port forwarding, and etc.but nobody seems to have any sort of clear answer. Even after successfully "fixing" that I'm still no go.

I just wish they had stuck with the great chat and invite system from the 360 and slowly integrated in a new system once it was iron clad. Guess this is the price we pay for being early adopters.
The only way I could get a open nat was to dump the one in a DMZ. Weirdly my party chat issues got worse after I got it working.

BondFancy

I'm really confused with all the party chat woes...mine has worked perfectly for Ghosts and joining my friends games work perfectly fine, I've never had any problem with the system at all..

I'm really confused with all the party chat woes...mine has worked perfectly for Ghosts and joining my friends games work perfectly fine, I've never had any problem with the system at all..

Why would you? I mean, you've only posted in XBOX/anti PS4 related threads since you've joined as a junior.

That's because it depends on many things, like NAT for users involved, the limits imposed by the game when trying to initiate a new party for the group to enter into when moving from title to title, the issues of the game's own networking, and maybe a twelve-sided die roll. It's unfortunately not simple for whatever reason, but while I've had 80% success, I've experienced a couple of frustrating, broken moments where I could not match or invite someone nor could I keep party chat from turning off of its own accord. Once, I couldn't even get the chat option to turn on. YMMV

BondFancy

Why would you? I mean, you've only posted in XBOX/anti PS4 related threads since you've joined as a junior.

So let us dissect your logic young chap, I've posted about a handful of things on this fine message board, I honestly don't think I've mentioned a single negative thing about the PS4, (please correct me if I'm wrong) I quite frankly have no qualms with it, I think it's a fine piece of hardware, but just not my cup of tea. So on that first point I'm utterly confused as to why I would give the impression I'd be a Sony bashing Xdrone..Second, because I purchased the system, enjoy it, then post on threads with pertinence to me (Xbox threads) my opinion suddenly gets discredited because I haven't had any issues with mine, my opinion only consists of about 3-4 days of play with it because I had to head back to University for finals, so I'm sure if I played it longer I would've had issues with it..so please try harder because I am a "Junior" 0/10 wouldn't read again. If I'm so horrendous then why bother commenting on my opinion and just block me..

BondFancy

That's because it depends on many things, like NAT for users involved, the limits imposed by the game when trying to initiate a new party for the group to enter into when moving from title to title, the issues of the game's own networking, and maybe a twelve-sided die roll. It's unfortunately not simple for whatever reason, but while I've had 80% success, I've experienced a couple of frustrating, broken moments where I could not match or invite someone nor could I keep party chat from turning off of its own accord. Once, I couldn't even get the chat option to turn on. YMMV

And thank you for clarifying for me Mighty Hedgehog, that makes a lot more sense, it's quite crap that they created such a complex system for something so simple..really not looking forward to the annoyance once I get more time with the machine..When I bring it to my college I will unfortunately deal with this a lot, because I believe the NAT type is moderate here, and as one would guess there's nothing I can do to change that NAT type..here's to hoping they patch it before spring semester.

So let us dissect your logic young chap, I've posted about a handful of things on this fine message board, I honestly don't think I've mentioned a single negative thing about the PS4, (please correct me if I'm wrong) I quite frankly have no qualms with it, I think it's a fine piece of hardware, but just not my cup of tea. So on that first point I'm utterly confused as to why I would give the impression I'd be a Sony bashing Xdrone..Second, because I purchased the system, enjoy it, then post on threads with pertinence to me (Xbox threads) my opinion suddenly gets discredited because I haven't had any issues with mine, my opinion only consists of about 3-4 days of play with it because I had to head back to University for finals, so I'm sure if I played it longer I would've had issues with it..so please try harder because I am a "Junior" 0/10 wouldn't read again. If I'm so horrendous then why bother commenting on my opinion and just block me..

PM the mods. They love it when posters use the "junior" card.

What does it mean when the power brick is orange instead of white-blue?

I am wondering if that has something to do with console not turning on with Xbox On command.

jbug617

Banned
News regarding ID@Xbox.

Confirmed Games:

Add Cosmic Star Heroine to the list also

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=92372143&postcount=135

Special C

Anyone getting "Sorry we couldn't record that. (0x82323012) when trying to do anything with the DVR. Google search isn't turning anything up.

Chitown B

Nice one mate, you're completely right.

Is there a way to sign in automatically without kinect?

http://forums.xbox.com/xbox_forums/xbox_support/xbox_one_support/f/4269/t/1627077.aspx

"Automatic sign-in currently only works with Kinect, yep. Given the feedback they have been getting on this, not just here but on other sites too, I think this is something that will be added back in via a system update as it wouldn't be a difficult thing to add. But for now though, if you don't use Kinect or it's not working well for you, the only option is to sign in manually."

Marleyman

Banned

I got ya; I just haven't run into any troubles since the first day playing. My buddies and I are constantly able to party chat without hiccups while playing BF4, Madden.

Isn't MS on record for saying NAT issues will be a thing of past with the XB1? It's really disappointing to hear that it's not only still an issue but it seems to be even more prevalent.

Isn't MS on record for saying NAT issues will be a thing of past with the XB1? It's really disappointing to hear that it's not only still an issue but it seems to be even more prevalent.

Those NAT issues don't apply to party chat I guess, and I think it was Respawn talking about dedicated servers for Titanfall. Not MS.

Never had NAT issues on 360. Can't play. Multiplayer or do party chat on XB1. Nothing is being done about it.

VE3TRO

Formerly Gizmowned
Achievements only register when online? So I wanted to check out Ryse before installing the 1.2GB update so I disconnected the XB1 from the internet.

Played the first 3 levels (loved it) then quit and installed Dead Rising 3 which I then played for about 30 minutes. Once I was done playing I connected back to Live to allow the games to update with the patches.

Well I must have gotten 20-30 achievement notifications pop up in a row. Can you imagine if you kept your XB1 offline for months and gained hundreds of achievements then connected it to Live? ;p

Shrennin

Didn't get the memo regarding the 14th Amendment
I wanted to see what a lot of people's opinions are on this specific type of "free-to-play" model Microsoft employed compared to the micro transaction fiasco of Forza 5:

How does everyone like the Killer Instinct model? Would anyone be for or against Microsoft using this model more?

For me personally, I think it's a smart model for smaller Microsoft first party, or Microsoft funded titles. It definitely wouldn't work with something like Halo.

Phreaker

Do NOT load BF4 (if that is the game you are using) first. This is what I do. Someone starts party chat and invites people. We join and select "start party chat". We talk. We then start the game. For some reason with BF4 running in the background if I join a party and select "start party chat" is just says it can't. If I simply go Home and quit the game I am able to start party chat. (I haven't used Skype at all). If you want to make the party private, you can do that too.

Do NOT load BF4 (if that is the game you are using) first. This is what I do. Someone starts party chat and invites people. We join and select "start party chat". We talk. We then start the game. For some reason with BF4 running in the background if I join a party and select "start party chat" is just says it can't. If I simply go Home and quit the game I am able to start party chat. (I haven't used Skype at all). If you want to make the party private, you can do that too.

BF4 is the main culprit for me too.

Top Bottom