• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fall 2013 Anime |OT2| The Rise and Fall of Kyoto

Status
Not open for further replies.

Joe Molotov

Dokidoki! Precure 20

Mana still trolling her friends, now with her shiny new toy, Regina. Will the NTR never end? (I'm going to assume that the answer is no.)

Syrinx

Sora no Otoshimono 14

What's-her-name really is just as much of a pervert as Tomoki, she's just better at hiding it. And Mikako has an insatiable bloodlust And boo Sugata, throwing out all of his old assistants. But Ikaros found that globe, which won't go bad like those watermelons.

New angeloid appears. And it seems she wants to kill Tomoki. Or something.

Dokidoki! Precure 20

Mana still trolling her friends, now with her shiny new toy, Regina. Will the NTR never end? (I'm going to assume that the answer is no.)

NTR ? it's harem building !

------------------------

Gingitsune - 10

Yet another episode that bring a huge gigantic smile on my face ...Impressive friendship building.

This is good stuff .. i'll miss this show when it ends.

CorvoSol

The 08th MS Team 1

So yeah, as I restart this, the romantic budding of Shiro and Aina continues to be the one part of the show I don't feel sold on. I mean, the rest still is awesome, being the story of actual soldiers during the war instead of the White Base's ragtag crew on the run. Also whoever told me that this was at the time of Garma's funeral is correct. Ghiren's speech is playing at the end of the episode. So now I have these two in sync, though I imagine that I'll finish this well before I'm anywhere near the end of MSG. The mechs are so good looking, though.

Jarmel

Banned
The Madoka movie was interesting. It's much better than the impressions coming out of Japan depicted it to be. There are definitely some issues with it but it's not a 'lol trainwreck'. It's an utterly dense movie.

I'll write a longer review later.

Trojita

Rapid Response Threadmaker
Golden Time - Episode 1

Main character is swimming in women.

S7pAru5.gif

I feel bad for the friend lol

Those were Naotoshi Shida's cuts. He's a talented animator whose animation style often incorporates lots of tone shading, which is where the "gloss" you're talking about comes from.

According to that MAD, he actually did animate part of the OP for the Romance Dawn 3DS game.

I can definitely see that style in bits of the show. It's not that bad.

Really wish they'd bring back the guy who animated the Spa Island filler arc. I can't remember his name, but he's my favorite so far who's done some animation for One Piece. That animation was so good, especially in the action scenes.

Gbraga

Just a little something that's kinda annoying about Crunchyroll, let's see if someone can help me out. I use stuff on Chrome to unlock US Crunchyroll, and it works fine, except that it doesn't show any episodes in the anime's page, so if I want to watch something I have to google like "Non Non Biyori 2 Crunchyroll", and from there I can watch the episode.

It's a minor annoyance, but it would be nice if there was a fix for this.

jgminto

I think the character designs for the western world characters are FUCKING HILARIOUS.

Jeanne Kaguya d'Arc:

Leonardo da Vinci:

Gaius Julius Caesar (Member of the Round Table):

Alexander (Member of the Round Table):

Magellan (Member of the Round Table):
I am so damn hype for Sugita Da Vinci.

Gundam Build Fighters 6

sm033Kb.jpg

You don't say.

Really well storyboarded, with some great layouts. The action choreography in the fight with Tatsuya made for the best battle to date; it was more like a dance between the two Gunpla than standard fight choreography.
Having Tatsuya drop out of the official competition and fight unofficially instead is a smart move; it lets Sei and Reiji advance to the World Championships while retaining Tatsuya as a stronger enemy to reach for.

Have I mentioned the music is really good? Because it's really good.

Cwarrior

I can definitely see that style in bits of the show. It's not that bad.

Really wish they'd bring back the guy who animated the Spa Island filler arc. I can't remember his name, but he's my favorite so far who's done some animation for One Piece. That animation was so good, especially in the action scenes.

Spa island was done by takeo ide and the other ep by yukiko nakatani (her animation director debut), Nakatani never left she became a regular animation director and takeo Ide went missing mid fishmen island but returned recently for the start of the smoker,law, vergo fight.

Speaking of that Aokiji scene. During the last few minutes of the episode, I've started noticing that the characters are starting to look a lot more glossy.

It kinda reminds me of those animated scenes from that One Piece Romance Dawn game. Where everyone was glossed out (especially Robin). I think it's most noticeable in that
fight scene
on the episode.

The robin shot is by Yoshikazu tomita he did a lot of the One piece romance dawn cut scenes he also has lot of shading in his drawings and natoshi shida did part of the intro with luffy fighting all his past villains.

Yoshikazu tomita

Gazoinks

Yozakura Quartet - Hana no Uta 06

Wooh, this show went from pretty good to awesome really quickly. That action, those likable characters, that catchy OP... That unnecessary fanservice. >.>

This episode
Kotoha summoned a train with a giant cannon.
So y'know that was pretty awesome. Glad I took people's advice on this and continued watching after the first three episodes.

OceanBlue

Lol, episode 9 of Yozakura Quartet punished me for watching anime with headphones. D:

Also I hope Rin keeps her increased presence from OVAs through the series but she probably won't. I'm glad they followed up on Zakuro and I hope she appears often too. This show is spoiling me on animation though. I'm going to miss it when it's over. I'm really enjoying the cast and the world as well. Touka is so cute!

Gazoinks

Hana no Uta 07

Aw man revelations, villain reveal, arc ending.
Turns out white guy (Shinozaki?) isn't so bad after all.
Even if it was mostly
Enjin getting slapped around,
the action bit was still pretty awesome. Over the last three episodes, this show has become one of my favorites of the season, hope this quality continues.

Shard

XBLAnnoyance
Gingitsune Episode 10:

Oh bloody hell, who had the bright idea of focusing again on Satoru, The Black Hole of Charisma? I do appreciate the efforts of the kendo club captain but dear god the logical conclusion of this chracter seems to be ending up in a room alone, listening to Linkin Park, cutting himself and writing bad poetry. Also, hard to feel sympathic towards this plank of wood when half the school is ready to give access to their panties very readily. Best part of the episode was when it focused on Saeki and her friends trying to figure out what they want to do after high school.

duckroll

Yozakura Quartet - Episode 10

Holy shit, I'm totally floored. While the series has mostly impressed because of excellent animation especially during action sequences, the more low-key scenes generally had less of a focus and some of them often felt worse off as a result. With episode 10, my perspective of what the talent involved here are capable of has really changed for the better.

Shingo Yamashita directed and storyboarded this episode, and he's mostly known for his audacious action sequences like the Kotoha action medley in the second episode of the Hoshi no Umi OAD. Here he shows a totally different side of his talent which I didn't think he really had. Web-generation animators excel at action and expressive scenes where there's a lot of motion, but they rarely showcase more mature and nuanced film techniques, either by preference or simply not having the opportunity to do so. Here Yamashita is given that chance and he really impressed.

The episode itself is split nicely into two halves, each telling a different sort of story and focusing on a different tone. This worked really well because it really hammered home that the material in the show can engage in various different ways even without action. There's a whole range of different techniques on display here - careful use of ambient sound, capturing subtle mood shifts and character atmosphere with camerawork, subtle character animation, balancing emotions and comedy, enhancing scenes with excellent lighting, the list goes on. Even the way dialogue is synced to animation and lip flaps seem more detailed this week, and there were some really nice layouts throughout which made even the most mundane scenes visually interesting.

Soooo good. Fans of Juri will be really happy this week too, since the latter half is a great rendition of her backstory in flashback form. Great use of colors all over the place. I'm really gushing too much at this point, but it's so rare to see this sort of episode in the shows I generally watch outside of KyoAni's stuff, and it's even rarer to see it done by web-gen animators. It feels like a once in a lifetime sort of thing. Lol.

What I've been most surprised by with Yozakura so far is how much I actually buy into the scenario and characters, and I actually find the characterizations, personal stories and motivations, and the overall setting, executed in a way which is relatable and sometimes even emotional. It's so weird. They're really pulling off some voodoo magic here in terms of elevating the manga.

tl;dr:

Vodh

Man, Code Geass is such an enjoyable show. It's the fourth time I'm watching the whole thing, nearing the end of the first season now, and it's as good as ever.

I hardly watch anime anymore, from 30-40 series a year down to about 2-3 for the past ~4 years, but damn this show is good.

fertygo

Man I can't wait to watch this week Yozakura.
Man, Code Geass is such an enjoyable show. It's the fourth time I'm watching the whole thing, nearing the end of the first season now, and it's as good as ever.

I hardly watch anime anymore, from 30-40 series a year down to about 2-3 for the past ~4 years, but damn this show is good.

This why Geass always on my yearly watch.

GOAT
List
Show

Shergal

Yozakura Quartet - Episode 10
ZkbPhaQ.jpg

I still think this looks weird.

But it's inconsequential, and the episode looked really really good throughout. The handling of lighting and colour in particular was way beyond the rest of the show. The editing as well is much more cinematic and surprisingly confident for a newbie storyboarder like Yamashita. Reminded me of Naoko Yamada's storyboards at parts, one shot even focuses on legs!

I feel like if that camera angle had been used on a younger girl, it would have included pantsu.

That is assuming it didn't. Now I'm afraid. I'll have to find out tomorrow.

darkside31337

Tomodachi wa Mahou
Gundam Build Fighters 1-2

Hey this show is legit. It's like Angelic Layer without the suck and with a whole lot more DTL to it. Get the feeling this is going to end up being my favorite Gundam TV series of all time.

Ramba Ral is such a creep. Authentic!
Show also needs way more of the mom. She's the best character.

First anime I've watched in months. Will definitely catch up on this over the next few days.

cajunator

Banned
HappinessCharge Precure goods

BbBFsSSCEAA_z7z.jpg:large

It's fucking purple!

hnnnnnnnngh. So adorable!

Hooooooly shit where did you find the time to watch that much anime?

Dresden

yozakura hana no uta - 2

pretty good, fun action at the end with some great effects even if I had no idea what was going on with the hands and stuff.

Liked how the episode was structured, too - not as much of a fan as the ogre guy's purple rage-out, thought that was the worst part of the episode by far. It's a jarring moment, but felt too overt, some restraint would have been appreciated there. Restraint would also help with all the perversion.

cajunator

Banned
Gundam Build Fighters 1-2

Hey this show is legit. It's like Angelic Layer without the suck and with a whole lot more DTL to it. Get the feeling this is going to end up being my favorite Gundam TV series of all time.

Ramba Ral is such a creep. Authentic!
Show also needs way more of the mom. She's the best character.

First anime I've watched in months. Will definitely catch up on this over the next few days.

Angelic Layer doesnt suck. It was really good!

Gazoinks

Yozakura 08

Nice cool-down episode at the end of the arc, setting up the next. Not as awesome as the action episodes, but it's also fun seeing everyone interact slice of life-style, with some new faces. Next I need to watch the OAD, right?

There's some popularity thing in a magazine that I just found, but my limited knowledge can't really slot out everyone.

I do know that the rankings have

1st: Rikka (Cure Diamond)
3rd: Whatshisface from Kuruko no Basket
4th: Mana (Cure Heart)
6th: Levi (Attack on Titan
7th: Haruka(?) from Free
8th: Whatshisface from Free (not Nagisa)
9th: Makoto (Cure Sword)
10th: Rin (Free)
11th: Gintoki
12-14th: More Basket dudes
19th: Regina (DokiDokiPrecure)
21th Alice
27th Aguri (Cure Ace lol).

Yozakura 08

Nice cool-down episode at the end of the arc, setting up the next. Not as awesome as the action episodes, but it's also fun seeing everyone interact slice of life-style, with some new faces. Next I need to watch the OAD, right?

OVA/OAD's come after the episode where at the very end they introduce red head. then you go back to show.

Dresden

yozakura - 03

That spate of exposition in the middle was surprisingly compelling stuff. Left the episode feeling sad about Touka - she has the mark of the friendzone on her.

Touka in the near future:

wonzo

Banned
yozakura hana no uta - 2

pretty good, fun action at the end with some great effects even if I had no idea what was going on with the hands and stuff.

Liked how the episode was structured, too - not as much of a fan as the ogre guy's purple rage-out, thought that was the worst part of the episode by far. It's a jarring moment, but felt too overt, some restraint would have been appreciated there. Restraint would also help with all the perversion.
the lack of restraint here is clearly symbolising
the ogre's own lack of restraint over their own strength.

DEEP

duckroll

Magi S2 - Episodes 8-10

As a manga reader, it's nice to be able to drop the show when it's boring and awful, and jump back in when it's adapting material I have fond memories of. When the show is a straight adaptation, it's pretty good, probably a testament to the strength of the source material. Good old memories!

cajunator

Banned
Magi S2 - Episodes 8-10

As a manga reader, it's nice to be able to drop the show when it's boring and awful, and jump back in when it's adapting material I have fond memories of. When the show is a straight adaptation, it's pretty good, probably a testament to the strength of the source material. Good old memories!

Who is the cute blondie girl?

Nordicus

Beyond: Two Souls 1-17 END

Not even moe Ellen Page
sniffing the ghost farts of dead people/inanimate objects
could save this from the
otherworld vaginas spewing the robot things from the matrix/said matrix creatures sudden inability to go through walls when its convenient to the narrative/ancient indian spirits fighting against a great curse/spirit condoms.
Fucking hell.
Got worse and worse even until the last minute in the credits

"Watching us from the
Infraworld
", oh fuck off you pretentious twat

Dresden

yozakura - 4

The little history lesson at the end was really odd. Wish they'd been able to ground it with some context beforehand, like the exposition in episode 3.

Still surprised by how much I'm digging the backstory. Okay episode otherwise; jesus christ juri-san*

*in a good way

the lack of restraint here is clearly symbolising
the ogre's own lack of restraint over their own strength.

DEEP

Obviously the intent, but it's just too much.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom