• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fall 2013 Anime |OT2| The Rise and Fall of Kyoto

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kansoku

12/9 10:28 [Mirai Nikki EP. 1]
The CG. Oh God, the CG. It hurts so much. I mean, Deus Ex Machina (bad name btw) has an awful design but the CG make it so bad.

Besides that it seems interesting enough. The beginig makes no sense, the main character is lame (is okay to be lame, just be an interesting kind of lame, not a cry baby), but the whole game being based on diaries, with every person having a different kind of diary it can lead to interesting things.

And
killing one of the twelves on the first episode is bad. There's 25 episodes devoted to 11 (10 if you don't include the MC) characters now. I'm afraid that the plot is going to be stretched to meet this number. I think if they had spent 2 eps per character like Katanagatari does (it's actually
1 ep per sword, but since it's 40min instead of 20...) it could have plenty of time to give every character their development.

12/9 10:54 [Mirai Nikki EP. 2]
See? More reasons for
not killing the Third on the 1st ep. Had they not done that, he being the teacher would have been quite the twist.

The MC continues with the lameness.
He saw he figure of every one, and yet he didn't suspect of the adult with the pinkish maid dress that appeared when he was alone in the class and was talking about the death of the serial killer. This woman who already talked to him as a police officer. He is asking to be killed.

Then we have the MC be all teen drama. We have Stalker be overly attached girlfriend (which makes sense, she's a stalker after all). We have
detective (or officer IDK) who changes sides faster than one can say "kill the First". Stalker being all ninja jumping of buildings and fighting bomb girl. Bomb girl escaping with style.

Also, that Mou Mou post-ending scene.I think it's interesting that they spilled the beans and showed that stuff, which I didn't even saw. However I think it takes a little of the joy of finding it yourself

12/9 11:17 [Mirai Nikki EP. 3]
The truth is revealed: this anime is not about a survival game. It is about the love story of a creepy yet cute stalker with a past soaked with secrets. She must overcome all challenges the gods will put her trough in order to be with the one she loves.

The loved one tough, is a lame dumbass. "I want ask her why she follows me". YOU IDIOT, she told you in the first fuckin' episode. How clueless can you get? I think a lot more because turns out the she is A GIRL AFTER ALL!!!!! Shocking, I know, but who would know that, especially after she kiss you a couple of times, acts all cute, blushes every freaking second, gets embarrassed after the top of her bikini goes away (and then proceed to accidentally hug him with her bare breasts touching his chest and don't let go), and keep hugging his arm on the haunted mansion. How more feminine could she be before he realized that?

But all ends well when
she invites him to her house and then he goes explore the house in look of a bathroom (instead of asking where it is, because who needs to be polite, right?), and opens the door where, I guess, her dead parents are. Yup, the Stalker killed her parents. Run idiot, run to your house. A stalker would not find you there, not at all. And that's not considering the Future Diary.

Overall, I hope they kill the MC. This is pretty good, except for him.

Madoka Movie 3- Rebellion

This is a dense fucking film. This can't be understated enough. I would go in with the expectation that you're probably going to need to see it twice to follow along with everything. This should have been a proper TV sequel instead of a movie so some of the stuff could be both expanded and events allowed to breathe a little.For better and worse, the movie is very much a continuation of the franchise. So if you don't like Urobuchi writing, don't bother watching it. Same with Shaft direction or visuals.

It's a pretty good film but it's just undercut to an extent by the ending. It's a fitting end to the Madoka saga. SDBurton is going to love this movie.

Thanks for the impressions.
i think i'm gonna love it too.

Man, Code Geass is such an enjoyable show. It's the fourth time I'm watching the whole thing, nearing the end of the first season now, and it's as good as ever.

I hardly watch anime anymore, from 30-40 series a year down to about 2-3 for the past ~4 years, but damn this show is good.

I felt the exact same way with Gurren Lagann. Hell, I remember I was in the middle of watching K-ON! when I saw it for the first time. Then I forgot about everything else and I couldn't stop watching it. It was just so damn good it was hard to watch another show after seeing it and the movies.

Vito

Banned
Akuma no Riddle is slated for Spring.

Akuma no Riddle cast:

Tokaku Azuma: Ayaka Suwa
Haru Ichinose: Hisako Kanemoto
Nio Hashiri: Yoshino Nanjou
Isuke Inukai: Azumi Asakura
Haruki Sagae: Fumiko Uchimura
Hitsugi Kirigaya: Mami Uchida
Chitaru Namatame: Sachika Misawa
Mahiro Banba: Yuka Otsubo
Sumireko Hanabusa: Miho Arakawa
Kouko Kaminaga: Haruka Yoshimura
Suzu Shutou: Chika Anzai
Otoya Takechi: Manami Numakura
Shiena Kenmochi: Yuki Yamada
Kaiba: Tomokazu Sugita
Ataru Mizorogi: Takahiro Sakurai

Source: http://moca-news.net/article/20131210/201312100000a/01/

Funny that someone else here is watching Mirai Nikki. I just made my friends watch it. I'll tell new viewers what I told them: you don't watch this show for protag. In fact he's the last person you watch it for. Does he have realistic reactions to what a normal 14/15 year old would do in these situations? Outside of anime-logic of accepting the abnormal WAY too easily, yes. But if I wanted to watch a kid crying about life not being fair, I would go to any junior high and go to a random class.

As to the Monogatari relationship discussion, that's part of the reason I can't watch the show. I thought the chemistry of protag and his girlfriend was absolutely brilliant during the few scenes they had together, so when I read that she's basically non-existent throughout the rest of the seasons it didn't sit well with me. She's being used similarly to the cop's girlfriend in samumenco: as an excuse to not have the character get serious with any of the main cast.

I think it bothers me mainly because in the other Shaft shows with 'many women wanting protag' humor, he simply couldn't decide or decided at the very end. The fact this show actually has him picking a girl early on then never seeing her again seems a bit ech. Maybe one day I'll be able to get over this particular issue with Monogatari. But it's a shame really since the series is so big with the anime crowd.

Kansoku

Funny that someone else here is watching Mirai Nikki. I just made my friends watch it. I'll tell new viewers what I told them: you don't watch this show for protag. In fact he's the last person you watch it for. Does he have realistic reactions to what a normal 14/15 year old would do in these situations? Outside of anime-logic of accepting the abnormal WAY too easily, yes. But if I wanted to watch a kid crying about life not being fair, I would go to any junior high and go to a random class.

Yeah, every thing is pretty good, except for him. Before watching it, I actually though the girl was going to be the protag. Would've been mile better (from what I've seen) that way,

Little Busters Refrain episode 10

God damnit, Key. God damn you to hell.
All the cute girls are dead? Including the Kudster?
What the hell is your problem Key with
cute girls? Can't you let them live?

I can't tell when Kyousuke is "real" or if he's fantasizing, or what. He talks about recreating the world, but are they not included? I barely know what's going on.

If they could have combined the male protagonist of Eden of the East with the entirety of Mirai Nikki it would have been a better show. A charismatic guy vs a whiny one.

Having mentioned Eden of the East, I forgot how much I love that one. The two concepts are really similar with the execution and level of fantasy different. Over-all I may have enjoyed Eden of the East more, though I know it's not the standard opinion of the show.

Jarmel

Banned
Gundam Build Fighters-10
iba2zJ6vGGgazO.gif

ib17Oq3AfbcP62.gif

iIcvmdy8NKNAU.gif

iPHyvbqukYcd7.gif

Jarmel

Banned
Yozakura Quartet-10
iy1BFsYQGVcnE.jpg

The lighting was fantastic in how it illuminated the characters.
Absolutely breathtaking episode. The lighting, storyboarding, animation, and even the sound effects are all top notch. Far and away the best episode to come out of this season. This felt like a KyoAni level episode in a lot of ways and it's definitely a surprising step up. My only complaint is again the fanservice, which just creeps up and ruins some of the scenes. I keep reiterating this complaint because it's so infuriating due to the quality of the rest of the work.
iz5TdYInJsQ8a.jpg

The way the heat is reflected in this shot is magnificent.

Ace of Diamond Episode 10
tumblr_mxh1ptrijI1qi6xzyo1_250.gif
tumblr_mxh1ptrijI1qi6xzyo2_250.gif

Towel scene was adapted excellent, being just as funny here as was in the manga. Furuyu reminds me heavily of Haruka from Free (or Im just really late noticing the same VA). Awkward place to end the episode considering its like the middle of the chapter.

The coach is growing on me and becoming one of the more memorable in the genre.

DiGiKerot

I dislike digital, but my working hours are so inconvenient for receiving delivery of anything, that it would it be a tremendous pain having to organize anything. I've already had one thing imported to Japan, only to have it returned, because they just kept coming back at the same time (despite saying it was between a certain period, and wasn't specific).

I guess I could just wait until I get back to England over the holidays, though it would have been an ideal read on the flight over.

It's listed on Amazon Japan as well, if that's any help.

I've had the book since Saturday (standard first-class mail, baby!), and wish I could say something really nice about it, but I've only really had a chance to read the introduction (a pretty dense discussion on the boundaries of the term "anime" as used in the book, and how completely inaccurate, incomplete, contradictory and self-serving most Japanese books on the industry are). I'm sure it's going to be interesting when I find the time to actually read it, but given it's origins in Clements PHD dissertation, I'm not really expecting it to be "light"...

(Also, I gather the first print run is limited to about 1200 copies, so it's quite probable that supply will dry up for a while fairly sharpish...)

Little Busters! Refrain Episode 10
tumblr_mxgoou0OPs1rgynozo1_500.gif

Powerful Kyousuke moments all around, everything from just watching and hearing how it played out to the music and drama made it one of the best episodes its season.
still hoping he wont vanish or die or something since that gasoline thing and it being overturned like that. I feel like Im missing what happened and such for their history but maybe he will go into that next episode.

Is it possible to watch and enjoy the One Piece movie Hosoda directed without any knowledge of One Piece? I seem to remember people saying one or more of the movies was worth watching, so I'm interested in seeing it but don't have time or inclination to watch the show or build much context for it.

You technically don't need it, but it's nice to have context. It's about the same as watching the Yozakura OVAs without any other knowledge of the series.

lonely

Gundam Build Fighters 10
l8WKrKD.jpg

For reference I've been watching since week one and loving it. This episode was a nice introduction to the scale that will unfold later on in the series and had some good character building for the mains. As some others were, I wasn't sold on the new Build Strike but is was definitely awesome in the show.

Pooya

Beyond: Two Souls 1-17 END

Not even moe Ellen Page
sniffing the ghost farts of dead people/inanimate objects
could save this from the
otherworld vaginas spewing the robot things from the matrix/said matrix creatures sudden inability to go through walls when its convenient to the narrative/ancient indian spirits fighting against a great curse/spirit condoms.
Fucking hell.

oh LOL, man that last chapter is so fucking awful! I just love it

Gendo suddenly reveals he wanted to unite with Yui all this time! and initiates Human Instrumentality Project, and to make everything better one of the endings is fucking end of evangelion. Ellen Page is really just Shinji and it was his/her mother's I mean twin brother's soul stuck inside the Unit 01. Cage is the worst 'author' around lmao, insert Matrix because why not, insert Metal Gear because why not, insert Evangelion in the end because why not. Insert The Sims dating sim because why the hell not.

I'm just thinking of the choices in last chapter and how character can die and what non sense they say and twists lololololol he really didn't know what to do with them in the end.

Beyond Two Souls plot is such derivative pos it's outstanding, Heavy Rain had some tension going for it, Beyond has naught.

More HappinessCharge Precure stuff

a8J4Hbs.jpg

I don't know what these are, but I don't think these are pillows. Maybe sleeping bags? Or they are pillows..

cnet128

Banned
I guess I missed it but our next otome anime, Kamigami no Asobi - Ludere Deorum finally, and a really stellar voice cast. (Apollon Agana Berea best, and Takeru Totsuka too)

Why you gotta go for the most boring looking guys? (Well, okay, you get some credit for not choosing the other Totsuka.)

But seriously, Loki is clearly where it's at. Mmmmmmmm Hosoya Yoshimasa voice. And Balder is Kamiya Hiroshi?! I think the Norse gods are just outclassing everyone else in general here. Hades is the only one with a chance of matching their swag.

...wait why am I discussing husbandos with DTL.

More HappinessCharge Precure stuff

a8J4Hbs.jpg

I don't know what these are, but I don't think these are pillows. Maybe sleeping bags? Or they are pillows..

Yeeeeahhhhh those are dakimakura.

I guess I missed it but our next otome anime, Kamigami no Asobi - Ludere Deorum finally, and a really stellar voice cast. (Apollon Agana Berea best, and Takeru Totsuka too)

Was interested in the concept when I first heard about the game. Looking forward to seeing what they do for the anime. Most of the usual suspects in the cast list, but god knows I'm a sucker for certain seiyuus on that list.

@KirbYayoi: Glance at the kanji and it looks like they're dakimakura. I know I've seen other Cures on pillows before, but I didn't think they were official. I'm assuming these are, at least.

Cardfight!! Vanguard: Link Joker Episode 107 - 108 (EngDub)
tumblr_mxjvfl949T1qbxqfpo1_500.png

Aichi Sendo keeps raising the bar for pow level each season. I think its a little early to be nearing 50K especially against just a football club but still, the strategy here with the Liberators was stunning. I wish I could try it out in a digital game as I would definitely have a Liberator of Hope, Epona, Liberator of Silence, Galliten, and a Liberator of the Round Table Alfred.

Fox318

Did you just give sachets the name of an American corporation as if they are impossible to find in other places in the world?

You can use whatever brand you want.

Golden Time
Really really enjoying this.

Yowamushi Pedal 10
Best character finally gets a good introduction.

Gingitsune 10

satoru why are you the opposite of happiness and fun

dear god

But did you see ? he was smiling in the end !
they have a chance with his character now that he has people ot talk to at school ..this is like a definitive improvement.

Don't lose hope !

IS S2 Ep. 10 - Yeah, as most people have been saying, this episode was pretty awful. Cecelia, the worst girl, gets an episode? Things are sure to be bad... and they are.

First though, there's a little skit with Russia (Sr.) trolling Ichika some. The setup is pretty amusing -- she's got him measuring all of the girls' measurements, for making better-fitting ISes for. Unfortunately the ending is very weak. Ichika
tries to measure the first girl in line with his eyes closed, ends up groping her instead, and instead of stopping or opening his eyes as a sane person would do continuing on until the harem arrives
to beat him up like usual. Ugh. With such an entertainingly silly setup, they could have done better. Pika-tan makes an appearance in this section too, which is great as always... until the "punchline" comes and the scene completely falls apart into failure.

After that comes Britain's episode, where she takes out Houki, Char, and Rin through her idiocy and horrendous attempts at "improving" cooking. Houki really comes off badly here -- you left the room and told Cecelia to finish on her own?? What were you thinking? Cecelia's actions were just as stupidly unbelievable -- she didn't just dump way too much spices in or something, but also actually
put perfume on the food. Perfume for humans. Even the stupidest people would never do that, I don't think.

Next came Char, who wasn't quite as dumb as Houki, but just like HOuki was unwilling to tell Cecelia how awful her cooking is, and it came back to bite her when she had to leave the room for a moment and Britain "modified" the food. Now, unlike Houki she'd only told Britain to just stand there and watch it, not do anything, but still... don't do that. Poor Char and Laura... down they go as well, more victims of idiocy (the writers, Britain, France, everyone involved is incredibly dumb here).

Last was Rin, and she ends up the same way as Britain or France, but she actually tries harder. She seems to be more aware of how bad Britain's food is, and tells her that she'll have to actually have to try her own food too, after they finish. This is averted when Cecelia, in another fit of incredible stupidity,
blows up the room (literally).
China is down. Russia Jr. gets off easy, though -- she doesn't cook with Britain, and instead Ichika does. Unfortunately it seems that she doesn't mess up this time -- he doesn't leave the area? They wanted a stupid romance moment I guess. Nothing in this story this episode is any good at all. :(

Last comes the story moment. Tabane's back! Finally, that took long enough.
She's seen being proselytized by the villain group -- their leader wants personal ISes, and Tabane won't give them. So they attack, but Tabane crushes them since she's that awesome, even though one attacks in an IS and Tabane doesn't have one, at least not shown yet. Yeah, Tabane's good at everything apparently. Then she reverses herself and decides to give Madoka a personal IS anyway. Sure, she's apparently an Orimura, but we don't really know who/what she is... but I guess Tabane does. Well, giving her a personal IS will make things harder for the goodguys for the last few episodes, for sure. I wonder if Madoka will end up changing sides, or something... wouldn't surprise me.

Overall, ep. 10 of IS2 is the worst episode this season by far. The amusing-until-it-gets-dumb opening bit and decent ending bit do not make up for how awful the rest of the episode is. One thing did surprise me, though: China comes across much better in this episode than France or Japan do! Seriously, Rin's caution around Cecelia is much more sane than Char or Houki's, and her demand that she actually taste her own food was a good move... she just could not possibly have anticipated Cecelia's unbelievable idiocy after her comment that led to the explosion. Nor could any sane human being or even anime character, though, to be fair; even anime people normally do not do things that dumb. So yeah, not bad for China there.

Infinite Stratos S2 9

Get used to having your heartbroken kid. Ichika does it to everyone.

OH FUCK THIS. Another diabolus ex machina? Hell, you couldn't event the match started first! F-. See me after class.

Oh you better not
fucking kill Russia off.
Well
She might as well be dead now because she's part of the harem. It's over folks pack it up. So long, Russia the troll.

Man this show is just all of the place tonally. I do like it more when it's not being a fucking fanservice wankfest.
Russia
isn't in the harem yet, at least not yet. That's Russia Jr. who's been haremized. I guess Russia could join too, but it's getting late in the season to add another haremite... but I guess it could happen. No progress towards that in ep. 10, though, thankfully.
We'll see once we see more of her, whenever that is, though, since she didn't appear much in ep. 10, except for that one troll she did to Ichika at the beginning...

Infinite Stratos S2 10

I was about to dismiss this episode as just another waifu antics episode with Cecilia poisoning all her competition with her cooking.
Thankfully the last 2 minutes of the episode more than made up for that in the most unexpected way possible.
REAL Shinono-hakase? YESSSSSS

The sky is blue.
Yeah, as I said in my episode review above,it was nice to see Tabane again,
but what's up with her giving Madoka a personal IS...

Infinite Stratos S2 10

Worst girl in the series turns out to have the worst episode in the season.

Shocking.

So many stills throughout the episode and a complete fuck up with Tabane's scene (or lack thereof) that obviously is going to be used for the upcoming BD/DVD.

There were at least a few decent scenes like Chifuyu messing with Ichika, Pika-tan 2 second appearance, Char scary eyes, and Houki blushing/wearing her apron.
I hope that Tabane's scene gets improved for the BDs, that'll be nice. And yeah, definitely worst episode. And sure, there were a few decent moments here and there, it's just that everything in between them was awful...

Infinite Stratos 2 -10

Does anyone else besides me, find its difficult to watch this show?
When the episodes are this bad, yes, it is kind of hard to watch. It took me a while to force myself to actually sit through this whole disastrously bad episode.

foxuzamaki

Doesn't read OPs, especially not his own
Log Horizon episode 10
Holy shit t them freaking out over curry, freaking hilarious, I seriously cant wait til the next episode.

Hitokage

Setec Astronomer
Yes, woe is me for spoiling the number of videos which is displayed at the top of the playlist page. Oh how will I live with myself??
Whaaat.

This is a joke, right?

I once thought that Utena DVD 2 didn't have eps 12-13 because they weren't listed. If only somebody had spoiled me sooner!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom