• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fall 2013 Anime |OT2| The Rise and Fall of Kyoto

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bombless

Arpeggio of Blue Steel 10

Takao just became best girl of the season. So sad this is about to end. Only a couple episodes left right? :(

Vidoe not available in my country .

Sometimes i hate ...wait no i always hate those kind of restrictions.

Takao just became best girl of the season. So sad this is about to end. Only a couple episodes left right? :(

Yeah. it's 12 eps.

It's also a original retelling of the manga events ( lot of stuff was changed ) so who knows, if it sells we might have a better second season ( they can still reintroduce a lot of characters they missed )

Owwari

Banned

Damn, I wouldn't mind having a Deus Ex Machina saving Takao somehow, but it seems she's a goner nonetheless, what a shame!! It's the first time I have liked a tsundere character, which is ironic since she's not a human in the first place.

I am crying. I am literally crying. Where did all of these onions come from.. Why..

That episode was just powerful. The amount of character development over these past few episodes have just been truly amazing. If this show doesn't get a season 2 I think I will have to start firing off supergravity cannons at people.

Quasar

Gingitsune 10 - liked it. Nice continued development of Satoru. But the show and its pace makes me feel its at a season midpoint not at the end. Like quite a few shows currently.

Jintor

Kill la Kill 10

Less fun that Gangamoroooool, but him chilling with Mako was fun. Info guy and Cheer squad girl don't really have real interesting backstories like Shield.

Still more interesting than Matoi. Hope they justify her pulling random powers out of her ass as she needs them, looks like they will

Why would the number of chapters even be a spoiler .___.

Even dr who agrees !

-------------------
Arpeggio of blue steel - 10

Magnificent, impressive , Superb

The FEELS !

Omg what was this episode ..i wasn't ready ..by becoming total original material they managed to improve a lot , to the point i'm not even sure what to think ...this episode was legit

Iona : 10/10 all those conflicted feelings , all that struggling

Takao : Dat
sacrifice
.what tosay ? 10/10
I don't have the words , that was more than beautifull.

Kongo : Those moments of confusion, those moment went the cliffanger is near ... masterfull 10/10

10/10 episode , seriously.

I feel like the anime have surpassed the manga on almost everything ..i'm seriously impressed ..NEED SEASON 2 ASAP.

Special mention to The music at 17:42 ..omg the tears , the feels ..

Damn, I wouldn't mind having a Deus Ex Machina saving Takao somehow, but it seems she's a goner nonetheless, what a shame!! It's the first time I have liked a tsundere character, which is ironic since she's not a human in the first place.

Just like the others MM you're fine as long as your core is intact ( and her is still intact ) , they just don't have enough nanomachines for 2 mental models.

So technically she can still be brought back if they find enough nanomachines ( problem is that they are rogue and their supplies of said nanomachines are low. )

Jarmel

Banned
Infinite Stratos 2-10

tumblr_llh0craHL21qflan8o1_500.gif

The Cecilia cooking lessons were funny but holy shit this was the worst animated episode I've seen this season. Hey look at that fucking moon while an action sequence is going on!

I should say the production values are something to be embarrassed about but I know that everybody involved doesn't give a shit.

Also Ichika must have cut up his ballsack during one of those cooking lessons as it's nowhere to be found.

Didn't really watch much this season except Valvrave S2 which is excellent and KLK which is disappointing. This is my last week of school this semester, what other good shows were there this season?

Didn't really watch much this season except Valvrave S2 which is excellent and KLK which is disappointing. This is my last week of school this semester, what other good shows were there this season?

-Log horizon
-kyousoougiga
-yozakura quartet
-Arpeggio ( it's very entertaining )
-gundam build fighters ( so awesome )

I would primarily suggest Yozakura Quartet (fun characters, great action), Yowamushi Pedal (thrilling cycling), and Kyousougiga (family drama with a unique style). Gundam Build Fighters is also a good watch if you're into the Gundam franchise, mecha battles, or just pretty well executed kids' shows.

CorvoSol

Mobile Suit Gundam 14

This episode is all about a plot to blow up the Gundam with plastic explosives. Something I really like about this episode, though, and the original MSG, is that in this episode its made perfectly clear that Frau Bow has feelings for Amuro, but nobody ever says anything. In fact, Frau's attraction to Amuro is never once commented upon in the entire time they're on screen. It's nice because it is dramatic, but not overbearing or melodramatic the way relationships in later Gundam series would become. It's just that Frau has feelings Amuro does not reciprocate, and eventually she moves on.

Also I don't like Mirai's japanese voice acting. There's something really sweet about her voice and it kinda works against Mirai's character, as opposed to her english va, who I recall being more level sounding and in line with the character. But that's just me.

Quasar

Even dr who agrees !

-------------------
Arpeggio of blue steel - 10

Magnificent, impressive , Superb

The FEELS !

Omg what was this episode ..i wasn't ready ..by becoming total original material they managed to improve a lot , to the point i'm not even sure what to think ...this episode was legit

Yeah. Blown away by this.

I want more than two more episodes damn it.

Tokyo Ravens is an excellent story all the way through check it out.
Nagi no Asukara is a fun tale so far and really emotional.
Samurai Flamenco is a surprising experience in sound and drama with the best duo this season outside of EruHaru in Valvrave.

Ace of Diamond is highly underrated and Diabolik Lovers is one of the strongest shows this season.

Diabolik Lovers is one of the strongest shows this season.
Is there anyone watching this show aside from DTL ?

All i know about it are the design , the gifs DTL makes and the fact that 1 girls was abused at some point ( or so it seems )

Is it drama ? action ? supernatural ? DTL-like ?( yes obviously but ) what is this show ?

cnet128

Banned
Machine Doll wa Kizutsukanai 10

Sister dolls, abducted hostages, arranged marriages, practically-naked Yayas. All in a day's work for this show.

It still fails to really grab me though. The ED continues to be the best part of each episode.

dimb

Bjergsen is the greatest midlane in the world
Magi S2 - Episodes 8-10

As a manga reader, it's nice to be able to drop the show when it's boring and awful, and jump back in when it's adapting material I have fond memories of. When the show is a straight adaptation, it's pretty good, probably a testament to the strength of the source material. Good old memories!
You didn't even post the picture of Alibaba toking up.

cnet128

Banned

I would recommend Samurai Flamenco for the fun, well-realised characters and well-paced, unpredictable narrative that strikes an interesting balance between the realistic and unrealistic, Golden Time for its remarkably swift pacing for a romcom and the amazing chemistry between the leads, Nagi no Asu Kara for the great atmosphere, decent character drama and unbelievably cute girls, and Non Non Biyori for laid-back slice-of-life adorableness. Oh and I guess Kyousougiga if you're interested in something crazy.

Plus Monogatari SS if you've seen the previous Monogatari series, but that should go without saying. (And if you haven't seen the previous series, you should.)

Is there anyone watching this show aside from DTL ?

All i know about it are the design , the gifs DTL makes and the fact that 1 girls was abused at some point ( or so it seems )

Is it drama ? action ? supernatural ? DTL-like ?( yes obviously but ) what is this show ?

My understanding is that it's about a girl who gets to live with a bunch of pretty-boy vampires who abuse her, thus allowing the audience to take vicarious masochistic pleasure in her torment and wish they too could be abused by pretty vampire boys.

Maybe cosmic's being sarcastic but it's really hard to tell given how analy retentive people get over "spoiling" the most mundane of things nowadays. :(

Yeah, it was a joke. I just wanted to give a progress update on where I am in the game because FUCK THOSE KIDS AT THAT PARTY.

CorvoSol

The 08th MS Team 2

So in this episode Shiro gets into a fight with Karen and winds up rushing into the woods to track down and kill that one last Zaku. He gets stuck out there and spends the entire night and morning complaining about the Earth (Tobia'd kick his teeth in). After this, he finds and spies on a skinny dipping girl, then gets his Zaku. The episode ends with a very pretty scene of his Gundam auto-walking him into camp in the sun set.

Also in this episode: Shiro's rank is Ensign. This is the same rank Bright Noa has just been promoted to. The difference is that Shiro is an MS pilot responsible for a handful of lives while Bright is still captaining a boatload of people. Also Shiro is apparently quite liked by the brass at this point, whereas, according to Mathilda, Bright only hasn't been executed for his troubles because General Revil is an okay guy. Which makes it pretty clear why Murrue and her crew defect from the Federation during SEED.

Elidor is stupid 90s. Like everything about his character screams "Embodiment of the 90s."

Federation continues to be hilariously better than Spacenoids. The Zeon are busy trying to build some stupid ass Mobile Armor (is this redundant, since all MAs are worthless pieces of crap?) while the Federation, having seen the Gundam's combat record (thing killed a Zeon prince and has shot down a hilarious number of Zakus, considering Sanders' 6 Zaku kill rate is considered great), has begun mass-producing them.

All in all not bad, but honestly the Federation side of this show is much better. It shows soldiers in trenches fighting a war. The Zeon side just has crazy scientists building a Mobile Armor that is doomed to failure. Also it has the love story, which I will forever insist was detrimental to this show.

Yozakura Quartet 10

Good calm episode giving more background on Hime and Yuri.

I can't help but laugh at the "I want to grow up to be a respectable doctor"

and she wears the shortest miniskirt I've ever seen.

My understanding is that it's about a girl who gets to live with a bunch of pretty-boy vampires who abuse her, thus allowing the audience to take vicarious masochistic pleasure in her torment and wish they too could be abused by pretty vampire boys.
if true then it's not for me.

if i want to see a girl abused i can rewatch arjuna
( but i won't )

Do I need to know anything about Gundam - ANYTHING AT ALL - to watch Build Fighters
No

The show is solid on his own regardless of the references

CorvoSol

Gundam Build Fighters 10

I am completely in love with this show. I mean, sure, the bit where we saw the Throne Gundam and its cohorts go down in seconds was a rip off, but who cares? The rest of this episode was solid gold. Ramba Ral and Rinko teasing, Reiji antics, humanizing the villainess, that entire scene between Felinni and vapid idol girl, and most of all that amazing, sexy Star Strike scene. Good grief that mech is awesome. I mean it generated a cape that became wings that was made out of magic and light and cool and it had that shiny star halo going on the whole time.

This show is so good. It has been so long since there was a Gundam show this good, and this show really, really restores my faith in the franchise. I mean sure, it's a tournament toy show, but I mean, it's not that different from G Gundam in a lot of ways, and I loved that. Speaking of, THE COBRA GUNDAM. Good grief I wasn't expecting to see that in this episode!

The Zaku F2000 was probably the 2nd lamest Gunpla shown in the episode, though. "I will put yellow decals on my Zaku. Ta-da!" Not that I could ever hope to do better than that in real life, haha. The lamest was the weird purple and red Gelgoog with the SUMO skirt. That thing looked slapped together.

cnet128

Banned
Non Non Biyori 10

holy fuck my heart

mini-renchon should not be permitted to be that adorable there should be a law against that

goddammit I want to have kids

Midonin

One-off
Aussie Come Home

I've said my thoughts on Junichi Sato's work before, and this feels very heavily like Tamayura. The same four girl group of aspiring young artists, the rural setting, and the calm pace that soothes the soul in a way I just can't get enough of. There are two things that set it apart, and I'm not solely talking about the boobs this time. Though those are pretty hard to miss.

Australia's not a country I see represented a lot in anime, and while Cynthia comes across as more of a generic foreigner - she's been around the world, so she's really an international person representing everywhere that's not Japan - I can appreciate the different touch. Plus, casting Yuu Kobayashi as her was a great move. There's very few people who can do manic accents and English the way she can.

The other is the bikes. Honda's sponsorship is shining through loud and clear. Only Rie really exemplifies the bike focus (and is a great showcase of the funny side of KitaEri), but all I could think of was a manga named Baku-On! which had a title and logo that were clearly aping K-ON!'s, and had a similar girls and bikes focus. It wasn't too intrusive, since Haruno's coming of age story was just as front and center.

Two of the most basic types of stories. Someone goes on a journey or a stranger comes to town. This is obviously the latter. I always like it when the music is integrated diegetically into a show, and having the song the girls work up the courage to perform for Cynthia's goodbye being the ending theme was a pleasant touch. It told a complete story, but like Tamayura, I can see this going to series. As Non Non Biyori has demonstrated, a rural setting (and one with a unique focus on bikes like this one) can tell a wealth of stories, especially for a 12-episode anime's runtime.

Anri and Sayo weren't quite as defined as Haruno, but as best friends, they filled their roles well, and Maro's just adorable. The animation was pretty nice, too. All those roads passing by and the greenery surrounding them. Sato's works always make the setting into a character as much as the actual humans in the piece. ROUND TABLE's music on the OP and ED was soothing and fit the tone - good stuff.

Final Thoughts: For fans of Junichi Sato, heartwarming stories, and even of motorbikes, it's a good way to spend the time. Shorter stories have always had a place in anime, and this one will become one of my go-to examples for why.

Aoki Hagane no Arpeggio 10

Man I shed some tears. This episode came out of nowhere.

They took you Tsunde but you don't belong to them
They left me in a world of darkness without your sexy face
And I miss you Tsunde. So baaaaaaaaaaaaaaad.

Quasar

Yeah. I liked it and liked seeing Aussie in an anime. Probably the first and only Aussie in an anime I've seen.

And yeah...it is Tamayura like. Would watch more but I guess Honda isn't interested in that.

Jintor

One-off
Aussie Come Home

I've said my thoughts on Junichi Sato's work before, and this feels very heavily like Tamayura. The same four girl group of aspiring young artists, the rural setting, and the calm pace that soothes the soul in a way I just can't get enough of. There are two things that set it apart, and I'm not solely talking about the boobs this time. Though those are pretty hard to miss.

Australia's not a country I see represented a lot in anime, and while Cynthia comes across as more of a generic foreigner - she's been around the world, so she's really an international person representing everywhere that's not Japan - I can appreciate the different touch. Plus, casting Yuu Kobayashi as her was a great move. There's very few people who can do manic accents and English the way she can.

Yeah. I liked it and liked seeing Aussie in an anime. Probably the first and only Aussie in an anime I've seen.

And yeah...it is Tamayura like. Would watch more but I guess Honda isn't interested in that.

Huh.

I should watch this, purely for nationalistic purposes

Non Non Biyori 10

holy fuck my heart

mini-renchon should not be permitted to be that adorable there should be a law against that

goddammit I want to have kids

My only know weakness,
babies
. You should have seen what Doremi ♯ did to me.

This episode was so nice. I would be just like Candy Store, going for the money but staying for the Ren-chon.

Gundam build fighters - 10
This is ..... OUR GUNPLA !

clap clap clap

Congratulations this was AGAIN freaking amazing ... Seriously What should i say ?
what can i say more ..
"hook it in my veins ?"

"i want more"

"where is the next episode ?"

" what the heck was this awesome animation ?"

" give me give me give me ?"

Anyway ..well this was amazing

Gundam build fighters so far it's 8 5/5 episode and 2 4/5 episodes , impressive track record! Sunrise is going all out ....

Brb , changing my pants.

Unbreakable Machine Doll 10

Well the anime has finally passed the manga. That makes this and Tokyo Ravens watchable again. I stopped watching them when the manga was well ahead. But both of them caught up and passed in less than 10 episodes.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom