• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

MGS Ground Zeroes getting next gen retail release in EU

Batzi

Banned
The box itself costs next to no more money.

And that extra content is going to be nothing more than a Camp Omega map. They've already announced a Ground Zeroes special edition, so the Standard Edition's aren't going to get anything ... special.

But you're jumping into conclusions still. We don't know that do we now? We don't know the length, we don't know how many missions & side-missions the game will have and we don't know the extra content that Konami & Kojima are willing to offer for those who buy the retail version. Again, let's wait and see. We are getting what we wanted. KONAMI is listening to us. They were not planning on releasing a retail box, they heard our cries and now they are. Give them a break.

I don't think so, I'm just not biased for it.

It's the same kind of sneaky shit as monetization. People will pick this up expecting a full-fledged game, when it is expressly not that.

So I can only hope that game reviewers take into account how much this costs, with regards to the amount of content, with regards to the amount of content expected at this price-point. Judging from similar experience, and the amount of content we can assume to be in the game, £29-£39 is far too steep. And supporting this will be setting a bad precedent.

But I think we both know who's biased here, bigboss370.

oh no my username is of a character from the series!? shock and horror!

you're jumping to preconceived conclusions without actually knowing what content is included in the game. i wasn't making claims either way but sure, call me biased because of my username lol.

But you're jumping into conclusions still. We don't know that do we now? We don't know the length, we don't know how many missions & side-missions the game will have and we don't know the extra content that Konami & Kojima are willing to offer for those who buy the retail version. Again, let's wait and see. We are getting what we wanted. KONAMI is listening to us. They were not planning on releasing a retail box, they heard our cries and now they are. Give them a break.

We haven't decided on the final packed-in content of the physical editions. I imagine we'll see another announcement soon detailing additional changes. Things are in flux, folks. The above is probably the best advice.

(and hey, some of us internally have been clamoring for a physical since the beginning, glad to hear they finally listened to us)

Vizzeh

Banned
Only thing I am liking out of this news story is that Digital is FINALLY cheaper than retail by a decent margin long may it continue.

Batzi

Banned
We haven't decided on the final packed-in content of the physical editions. I imagine we'll see another announcement soon detailing additional changes. Things are in flux, folks. The above is probably the best advice.

(and hey, some of us internally have been clamoring for a physical since the beginning, glad to hear they finally listened to us)

ToraShiro, some simply do not want to appreciate anything KONAMI or Kojima is trying to do for them. Those are probably the same people who are whining about David Hayter who is not reprising his Snake role. Hayters gotta hate you know.

£30 on Amazon too...I'm tempted, but Amazon have been so bad for me for so many months, I think I'll just get it at retail. Hopefully it's not a limited release...

http://www.amazon.co.uk/s/ref=nb_sb...290&rh=i:aps,k:metal gear solid ground zeroes

Cwarrior

£40..holyshit
1de8e7e2_NicolasCageLaugh.gif

£40 omg it's Now full next gen retail game price, for a demo wtf, Koonami is now officially bigger scam artist then namco wishes they where.

SJRB

Gold Member
About how many hours will this game run? 5ish?

Nobody knows at this point. But considering that Ground Zeroes is based around infiltrating Camp Omega and extracting Chico and Paz I seriously doubt it's more than an hour. It's only one area.

They're "justifying" the price point by adding side ops, which is basically "random guy spawns somewhere on the base, find him and exfiltrate".

Dysun

I'm not sure I would pay $30 for a prologue that is in the 1-2 hour range before padding. But $40 is lol, never thought I might pass up a MGS game (even if its only extra taxed for retail)
I freaking bought the PS3 for MGS4 back in the day

LAA

Is it at all possible they'll make the exclusive dlc for each platform available on the opposite platform at some point?

Really am gutted at the Raiden dlc being Xbox exclusive.. urgh.

Great new about physical PS4 version. I read that the £10 difference between digital/physical soon... Apparently physical has more bonus content we don't know about.

RPGCrazied

Nobody knows at this point. But considering that Ground Zeroes is based around infiltrating Camp Omega and extracting Chico and Paz I seriously doubt it's more than an hour. It's only one area.

They're "justifying" the price point by adding side ops, which is basically "random guy spawns somewhere on the base, find him and exfiltrate".

An hour long? You serious? Surely it will have VR missions, and other side missions along with the main mission. Sure it will be short, but I'm hoping more 4-5 hours just for story.

Batzi

Banned
Snake Eater was about rescuing Sokolov. That's one mission too. Look where it led to. Anything could happen while attempting a rescue operation. You can't just assume that Big Boss won't be facing obstacles that will slow him down thus making that mission much longer than expected. Based on previous entries in the series, that's what happen usually.

Also, since I finally got the go ahead, I'd like to post from out North American press release:

METAL GEAR SOLID V: GROUND ZEROES will begin hitting retail stores beginning March 18, 2014 for the Xbox 360 games and entertainment system from Microsoft and PlayStation®3 computer entertainment system. The game will be available in retail stores nationwide on current generation systems for the MSRP of $29.99 or via download for $19.99. For Xbox One, the all-in-one games and entertainment system from Microsoft, and PlayStation 4 systems, the game will be available for the MSRP of $39.99 for the retail version or via download for $29.99.

R

Retro_

Unconfirmed Member
Snake Eater was about rescuing Sokolov. That's one mission too. Look where it led to. Anything could happen while attempting a rescue operation. You can't just assume that Big Boss won't be facing obstacles that will slow him down thus making that mission much longer than expected. Based on previous entries in the series, that's what happen usually.

I'm not sure Virtuous Mission is the best comparison though. As it's pretty much the lengthiest tutorial ever made.(Padded by hours upon hours of codec exposition)

lifa-cobex

Only thing I am liking out of this news story is that Digital is FINALLY cheaper than retail by a decent margin long may it continue.

Indeed. I think it's a first.

Still, wtf with the next-gen pricing?
This sort pricing thing would push me away from next-gen.
You're making it more difficult for yourselves you fools.

ToraShiro, some simply do not want to appreciate anything KONAMI or Kojima is trying to do for them. Those are probably the same people who are whining about David Hayter who is not reprising his Snake role. Hayters gotta hate you know.

That's fine. People should ask more from us and we should trying harder to provide the best experience for our customers. That's plain party line. But before people get ahead of themselves we'd like to temper expectations and quash misinformation.

SJRB

Gold Member

The Virtuous Mission can be done in 10 minutes. And on top of that, the Virtuous Mission WAS basically the prologue to Snake Eater and it was handed out for free as a demo. Same as the Tanker mission in MGS2. Which, yes, if fully explored could result in an hour or two of gametime. But the actual game was much shorter.

My point is that this whole Ground Zeroes debacle just feels wrong considering how it's being marketed right now.

Alienous

Snake Eater was about rescuing Sokolov. And you do it
within the first half-hour
. That forms the 'prologue' of Snake Eater, before the mission scales up when shit happens and your objective isn't complete.

It's not difficult to draw the lines at where Ground Zeroes begins and ends, based on just the content of the trailers. And if this was a feature packed game, Kojima could afford to show us more than two missions. And even then, what are the 'Side Ops' we are shown? "Interrogate target, and escape".

There is nothing to hint at the game being any more than a 1 hour campaign, and tons of filler content set in the same area.

That's The Phantom Pain. That game is not coming anytime soon and no pricing has been confirmed yet so ignore that price tag.

aye, you are correct in regards to phantom pain, they havent listed next gen Ground Zeroes yet, but the fact current gen is the same price there as next gen is at gamestop doesnt bode well atm.

Mike Golf

I'm just not comprehending all the hate with no justifying reasons or facts to go off of. Why not bottle all of that up until the game actually releases, which apparently the detractors of its price vs unknown content will not get on day one, and see from reviewers/lets play vids etc. how long it actually is then make your judgments? All this is about as ridiculous as the hate for the different exclusive missions content with people exploding over the One having Raiden, which I still find funny considering how disliked he was before MGS4...

Maybe just lock these threads until the game releases in March to avoid all the BS unfounded commentary?

Indeed. I think it's a first.

Still, wtf with the next-gen pricing?
This sort pricing thing would push me away from next-gen.
You're making it more difficult for yourselves you fools.

I've seen both ends of the argument and it's pretty much a lose-lose.

In some parts, it's history-- if memory serves right, at the end of the last generation cross platform games retailed for $50 on Xbox with their counterparts on Xbox 360 for $60. On the other hand, if we to offer price parity across platforms people would argue why there is a tax on the previous gen for possibly less of a product (performance, visuals).

This was the decision made. Was it the right decision? We'll find out when the dust settles. But I would like to comment that the next gen version would be my personal choice because it really does reflect "dat next-gen feel" for both the systems and the FOX Engine.

Batzi

Banned
The Virtuous Mission can be done in 10 minutes. And on top of that, the Virtuous Mission WAS basically the prologue to Snake Eater and it was handed out for free as a demo. Same as the Tanker mission in MGS2. Which, yes, if fully explored could result in an hour or two of gametime. But the actual game was much shorter.

My point is that this whole Ground Zeroes debacle just feels wrong considering how it's being marketed right now.

10 mins really? :p give me a break man

Tora, do you know if there will be a last gen/current gen comparison video before GZ is released?

Would be interested to see any differences...

Batzi

Banned

In some parts, it's history-- at the end of the last generation, cross platform games retailed for $50 on Xbox with their counterparts on Xbox 360 for $60. On the other hand, if we to offer price parity across platforms people would argue why there is a tax on the previous gen for possibly less of a product (performance, visuals).

This was the decision made. Was it the right decision? We'll find out when the dust settles. But I would like to comment that the next gen version would be my personal choice because it really does reflect "dat next-gen feel" for both the systems and the FOX Engine.

Did you play the final built of Ground Zeroes on next-gen? How does it look and play compared to the TGS built? Are they still improving the game? When do you think the game will go gold? Can you give us a hint at what we should expect as far as the game's length goes? Thank you in advance :)

Tora, do you know if there will be a last gen/current gen comparison video before GZ is released?

Would be interested to see any differences...

Hmm... I don't know what the schedule is for asset releases (those are determined by marketing and production in talks I'm not in), but I imagine at some point they will feel comfortable releasing current gen footage, as it looks rather nice (especially as a late-gen title), but not as nice as PS4/XB1.

But no promises. I'm terrible at promises.

In some parts, it's history-- if memory serves right, at the end of the last generation cross platform games retailed for $50 on Xbox with their counterparts on Xbox 360 for $60. On the other hand, if we to offer price parity across platforms people would argue why there is a tax on the previous gen for possibly less of a product (performance, visuals).

I'd say £5 is more respectable, but GAMESTOP are selling next gen at current gen price so i'm good :p

Did you play the final built of Ground Zeroes on next-gen? How does it look and play compared to the TGS built? Are they still improving the game? When do you think the game will go gold? Can you give us a hint at what we should expect as far as the game's length goes? Thank you in advance :)

In order:
No.
Better.
Yes, of course, up until gold master.
Before launch, ideally.
Kojima has said a few things about this, I'm not about to supersede him.

Sorry for the vagueness, when it comes to KojiPro titles they like to captain the hype ship above all others.

Hmm... I don't know what the schedule is for asset releases (those are determined by marketing and production in talks I'm not in), but I imagine at some point they will feel comfortable releasing current gen footage, as it looks rather nice (especially as a late-gen title), but not as nice as PS4/XB1.

But no promises. I'm terrible at promises.

Thanks. Good news that the PS360 versions look good, was a little worried it might not be so hot with the main focus being on PS4/X1.

lifa-cobex

Don't get me wrong. I probably will submit to the next gen version.
I think the main reason I feel more uneasy about it is because it's technically "half the game".
I was thinking the price points would be more around PS4/XBONE -£29.99 and PS3/XB £19.99.
Give or take.
However depends on how large the game is so I guess I can't reeeeeaaallly say to much until I have more information.

Don't get me wrong. I probably will submit to the next gen version.
I think the main reason I feel more uneasy about it is because it's technically "half the game".
I was thinking the price points would be more around PS4/XBONE -£29.99 and PS3/XB £19.99.
Give or take.
However depends on how large the game is so I guess I can't reeeeeaaallly say to much until I have more information.

British Sterling? You'd have to take that up with KonamiEU/KonamiUK. I work for the dollar.

-Digits-

Extra content. Why isn't digital getting that extra content? Make it fair for retail. Plain and simple.

I wasn't talking about retail price versus digital but rather last gen versus next gen. ToraShiro has since explained why that decision was made. Guess it makes sense in a way, but I still find it odd.

I wasn't talking about retail price versus digital but rather last gen versus next gen. ToraShiro has since explained why that decision was made. Guess it makes sense in a way, but I still find it odd.

Ah, to protect myself, that wasn't the reason why the decision was made. I don't know why the decision was made, I'm not part of the pricing discussion (outside of some minor consulting). Those are some of the reasons I've heard about pricing before, but not the final word that prompted the decision.

Batzi

Banned
In order:
No.
Better.
Yes, of course, up until gold master.
Before launch, ideally.
Kojima has said a few things about this, I'm not about to supersede him.

Sorry for the vagueness, when it comes to KojiPro titles they like to captain the hype ship above all others.
Thank you for the answers. A lot of people are asking about the length and there is this misunderstanding that they're paying for a demo. Many think it has the same length as the prologues in MGS2 & MGS3 which is why there is all this nonsense baseless hate against the game. The sooner a clarification comes out, the better. I know that the game will have rich content and will have several hours of gameplay but many refuse to acknowledge that.

Only one area? Wow, this is no longer on my list of future purchases at that price. This seems like a $15 title then.

Top Bottom