• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Official X360 DIY Repair Success Thread

Relix

he's Virgin Tight™
Wow, my 360, with only the X Clamp mod, has been going on for over 1 month without a single hiccup EVER, and its running in a tropical area where the temp is over 95F, being played at 3 hours minimum per day. You guys did something wrong lol

Ryu1999

Relix said:
Wow, my 360, with only the X Clamp mod, has been going on for over 1 month without a single hiccup EVER, and its running in a tropical area where the temp is over 95F, being played at 3 hours minimum per day. You guys did something wrong lol

Well, after the checkerboard issues, now the 360's back to 3ROL. I guess that ironically gives me hope since it means I can do the overheat fix. I'm definitely doing RBJtech's fan shroud mod this time too

pCeSlAyEr

Ryu1999 said:
Well, after the checkerboard issues, now the 360's back to 3ROL. I guess that ironically gives me hope since it means I can do the overheat fix. I'm definitely doing RBJtech's fan shroud mod this time too
take out some of the washers, I had the same issue while using the 3 washers.

mine did that 3 different times and it didn't stop until I used 2 washers on the GPU instead.

so far its worked perfectly and hasnt had an issue since.

Ryu1999

pCeSlAyEr said:
take out some of the washers, I had the same issue while using the 3 washers.

mine did that 3 different times and it didn't stop until I used 2 washers on the GPU instead.

so far its worked perfectly and hasnt had an issue since.

Do you mean one washer on each side? If so, do you use only nylon or one metal and one nylon? Otherwise, my current set up is bottom->nylon->gpu->nylon->metal->heatsink->top.

Ryu1999

Update:

I tried only 2 washers and while i was unscrewing the screws, I didn't realize how loose I had left them previously. Anywho, everything's working fine again

Relix

he's Virgin Tight™
Ryu1999 said:
Update:

I tried only 2 washers and while i was unscrewing the screws, I didn't realize how loose I had left them previously. Anywho, everything's working fine again

=) seeeee, you are a happy man now, right? =P. Good for you, though I feel now with the extended warranty this thread is kinda useless, except for those from Europe/Asia, that modded their 360s or just don't want to go through Microsoft's service. Whatever, I am happy... I am waiting for the Falcon ones to come out though, when those come out and a reduced price... I'll be there to buy a second one =P.

Bravoexo

I've been having that green pixelation problem for a while now. It was caused by me putting a shroud on top of the GPU HS (that covered it all the way to the front ram chips). Fans weren't able to suck enough air to cool he GPU enough, but not hot enough to trigger a 2RL though...

So I wouldn't recommed that cover at post 76.

pCeSlAyEr

Bravoexo said:
I've been having that green pixelation problem for a while now. It was caused by me putting a shroud on top of the GPU HS (that covered it all the way to the front ram chips). Fans weren't able to suck enough air to cool he GPU enough, but not hot enough to trigger a 2RL though...

So I wouldn't recommed that cover at post 76.
did you put in the partition?

and I don't think you realize what that cover would do in post #76

Relix

he's Virgin Tight™
Wow, still the idea is pretty cool, it would help cooling the GPU at least which is the primary cause of 3RLOD. Those guys have so much imagination lol

clav

One of my friends was complaining how his 360 has the 3ROL again for the third time.

This was a 360 he bought from Ebay (with 3 ROL failure), and it had been opened before previously.

Same error code: 0102. I am thinking of adding the pennies on the GPU memory chips along with electrical tape to keep them together. Then, add GPU heatsinks after those pennies do their job.

Any other ideas?

pCeSlAyEr

HaloFans said:
One of my friends was complaining how his 360 has the 3ROL again for the third time.

This was a 360 he bought from Ebay (with 3 ROL failure), and it had been opened before previously.

Same error code: 0102. I am thinking of adding the pennies on the GPU memory chips along with electrical tape to keep them together. Then, add GPU heatsinks after those pennies do their job.

Any other ideas?
are you using 3 washers on the GPU? if it happened 3x already that means the chip doesnt have enough downward pressure to keep from lifting. I suggest trying RBJTechs mod.

also you should do the 12v fan + shroud mods...

an another note, the penny's with electrical tape isn't a very sound idea... wouldn't that trap the heat?

clav

pCeSlAyEr said:
are you using 3 washers on the GPU? if it happened 3x already that means the chip doesnt have enough downward pressure to keep from lifting. I suggest trying RBJTechs mod.

also you should do the 12v fan + shroud mods...

an another note, the penny's with electrical tape isn't a very sound idea... wouldn't that trap the heat?
Well, I would think that the pennies conduct heat. They're not insulators. Well, hm I guess the tape would make it an insulator? Well, I'll give it a shot since the previous owner was using rubber erasers on the GPU memory chips. I won't know the results until I am back for Fall quarter @ NU.

I'm using two wahsers on top and one on bottom like the rest of the three I own.

pCeSlAyEr

HaloFans said:
Well, I would think that the pennies conduct heat. They're not insulators. Well, hm I guess the tape would make it an insulator? Well, I'll give it a shot since the previous owner was using rubber erasers on the GPU memory chips. I won't know the results until I am back for Fall quarter @ NU.

I'm using two wahsers on top and one on bottom like the rest of the three I own.
try putting a penny or a thin piece of metal between the GPU and heatsink. as I said before it must not have enough pressure to keep it from lifting.

On another note, lawdawgs method puts strain on the motherboard itslef which could eventually result in reverse flexing(which could be happening). I'd try RBJTechs method if the pennies don't help.

thats what I meant... the tape would trap the heat giving less surface area for the heat to dissipate.

a penny on the bottom ram is not a half bad idea, what will you be using to stick them to the ram chips?

also can anyone link me to some thermal gap fillers? Ones that would be suitable for the ram beneath the GPU heatsink.

Sjoerd

Wow I just fixed mine. At first it didn't work because I put the screws on the GPU too tight but it has been working fine since I loosened them just a little. The hardest thing was too find a store that sold Arctic Silver in Amsterdam. I had to go back to my parents house where I still had some because it was impossible to find.

Repairing Xboxes makes me proud!

Hey, I was wondering if this would fix my 360? It suddenly froze 1 day playing games and then it continued to freeze with a pink and purple checkerboard. After a couple trys it just went to the 3rold. I tried the towel trick, it just let it turn on for 3 minutes then I'd get the checkerboard in game again. Now it's back to the 3rlod. =\ Any idea if this will fix mine? ty

clav

BloodElfHunter said:
Hey, I was wondering if this would fix my 360? It suddenly froze 1 day playing games and then it continued to freeze with a pink and purple checkerboard. After a couple trys it just went to the 3rold. I tried the towel trick, it just let it turn on for 3 minutes then I'd get the checkerboard in game again. Now it's back to the 3rlod. =\ Any idea if this will fix mine? ty
I did the Lawdawg's method (described in the beginning) to a friend's recently (one week ago) since he didn't want to go through Xbox's RMA servicing, and it turned out perfectly.

You do, however, have the option to vouch for Xbox 360 servicing. You just need to wait 3-4 weeks to get your Xbox back. It is a lot of work to do it yourself though.

HaloFans said:
I did the Lawdawg's method (described in the beginning) to a friend's recently (one week ago) since he didn't want to go through Xbox's RMA servicing, and it turned out perfectly.

You do, however, have the option to vouch for Xbox 360 servicing. You just need to wait 3-4 weeks to get your Xbox back. It is a lot of work to do it yourself though.

I already sent it in.. They sent it back still broken claiming it's been tampered with, I've never even taken the face plate off or tamper with it =\ It's my 3rd 360 which is a refurb they gave me last time. MS is supposed to call me Sat. but if I get no where with them I might try this.

Since MS won't fix my console I'm going to try the 12 cent fix this week. It has a lot of worshipers are other sites so here's hoping for the best.

Relix

he's Virgin Tight™
Just a quick update...

Last night my fixed console crashed with some purple artifacts on the COD4 beta. I turned it off, back on and it worked. Now, today in the morning it crashed twice in the solo mode of Halo 3 (yeah... i had to do a LOT OF BACKTRACKING lol). What I did was put a fan by the side of the console and just play. I played some MP matches when I noticed the fans were... in hyper mode or something, making an awful amount of noise and just puling out hot air.

I put the fan away, let it rest for a few minutes.... and it has been working for 7 consecutive hours without a freeze. If it RROD's again I'll check what went wrong and update the *tutorial* I made.

Well, my 360's dead. Thing is, my friend bought it broken on ebay and fixed it himself. Should I try sending it back to Microsoft or not bother?

Relix

he's Virgin Tight™
_leech_ said:
Well, my 360's dead. Thing is, my friend bought it broken on ebay and fixed it himself. Should I try sending it back to Microsoft or not bother?

Hmm... if its opened they will turn it around and ask you to pay shipping. Fix it! =P.

Quick update (shit I forgot about this thread), my 'fixed' Xbox died a week ago, I redid the method, this time taking out the metal washers of the GPU and its been working ever since. Still, most people have had good luck and they are working perfectly.

I just received my cousins Xbox to fix it... so, I'll post results =).

Relix said:
Hmm... if its opened they will turn it around and ask you to pay shipping. Fix it! =P.

Is it worth fixing if it's already been fixed and still dying? If it'll just red ring again in a few weeks...

Relix

he's Virgin Tight™
_leech_ said:
Is it worth fixing if it's already been fixed and still dying? If it'll just red ring again in a few weeks...

What did he do? The XClamp fix or some kind of other fix? If the XClamp hasn't been done, then do it by all means, what's left to lose. If he did the X Clamp and its failing you can play around with the washers and the screws until it works again.... or you can try a more complex method, RBJTECH's MKIII.

clav

So I guess many of you moved on to use MS's repair center to fix your Xbox 360s.

For me, since I have three opened ones, the repair center isn't an option.

I'll give a status update of what has happened.

First Xbox in the first post: Completely Dead. It eventually kept breaking down on me. Didn't replace the thermal paste, and eventually tried out the 3 penny fix. That worked for a week and like how many of you dumbass fake xbox 360 hardware "experts" said, blowing out cold air in the back is good. lolz amirite lololol?

No. Hell fuck no. That's bad! That means the heat wasn't escaping from the Xbox 360, so that one was broken forever as a result of that.

Second Xbox: Died again. Revived with more mods This one died in Dec. again and to not let the same mistake happen again, I decided to do a few more mods.

Cut out the fan grill:

2mqj5ns.jpg

Add Ram Sinks, shroud fan mod, lapped the heatsinks with sandpaper, and new thermal paste:

9uvf9t.jpg

I decided to STOP using Arctic Silver 6 paste since that stuff breaks down. Somewhere I read the period was 6 months, which made sense since now the Xbox is broken again. I decided to opt for Arctic Cooling MX-2 Paste, which is nonconductive and doesn't break down. The life span of it is at least 8 years.

This Xbox is currently waiting for a Samsung drive replacement from Ebay. Hitachi laser decided to burn out when I was recalibrating it.

Third Xbox: Died again trying to do RBJTech's MKIII (mounting screws to the case). Reverted back to the Lawdawg's method and did all the mods above.

Samsung drive works fine.

So in conclusion, HOT AIR coming out of Xbox 360 = GOOD. Cold air with fans blazing on max speed (I doubt any of you know what those sound like for a Xbox 360) will break your Xbox 360 permanently.

pCeSlAyEr

Relix do you still have the broken one around? How much do you want for one if you do(if your willing to part with it)? I get bored...

and who said blowing out cold air was good??

*EDIT*
I meant HaloFans not Relix... sorry, but Relix if you have one too let me know lol

clav

pCeSlAyEr said:
Relix do you still have one of the broken ones around?

How much do you want for one if you do?

I get bored...

and who said blowing out cold air was good??
Oh plenty of Xbox 360 hardware "experts" from GAF.

Waahh why does the Xbox 360 have hot air and all sorts of shit.

Blimblim

The Inside Track
If hot air was a bad thing the PS3s all around the world would be dead by now. It's incredible how much hot air these things blow out. And that's a freaking good thing, if the hot air is getting outside, it means the inside is actually getting cooled off.

clav

pCeSlAyEr said:
HaloFans you might want to put a heatsink on the southbridge too...
Hm, I could though I guess I could stack two VGA ram heatsinks next to each other.

Sorry the three I have have been sold to my friends. : (

I'm basically providing warranty for them.

pCeSlAyEr

HaloFans said:
Hm, I could though I guess I could stack two VGA ram heatsinks next to each other.

Sorry the three I have have been sold to my friends. : (

I'm basically providing warranty for them.
not even the broken broken one? :(

Relix

he's Virgin Tight™
Yeah, mine also broke. Just bought an Arcade Falcon lol. Whoever said blowing out cold air was good is dumb... jesus =P.

Anyway pCe... your timing is off by 5 days lol. I just sold it on Ebay for 55 bucks and shipped it two days ago =P. There's a big market for broken 360's on EBay so I decided to make up for the losses by selling the the old one.

I still have the PSU lol.

EDIT: I still have one broken Xbox around here, from a friend, that I havent fixed in two months =P. The guy opened it previously and the case has some signs of wear and pieces broken. I still haven't fixed it, and I am gonna tell him I can't, maybe he'll just let me keep it and then I can sell you back if you are still interested. Give me a few days =P

clav

Relix said:
Yeah, mine also broke. Just bought an Arcade Falcon lol. Whoever said blowing out cold air was good is dumb... jesus =P.

Anyway pCe... your timing is off by 5 days lol. I just sold it on Ebay for 55 bucks and shipped it two days ago =P. There's a big market for broken 360's on EBay so I decided to make up for the losses by selling the the old one.

I still have the PSU lol.

EDIT: I still have one broken Xbox around here, from a friend, that I havent fixed in two months =P. The guy opened it previously and the case has some signs of wear and pieces broken. I still haven't fixed it, and I am gonna tell him I can't, maybe he'll just let me keep it and then I can sell you back if you are still interested. Give me a few days =P
Saw your posts @ Xbox-Scene. ;)

squatingyeti

non-sanctioned troll
Have any of you just had a problem with the games freezing, no artifacting, and the music will start to play again after a couple of minutes? This is my other console and it's not RROD so it can't go to MS. I've tried toweling it, but this son of a bitch won't die. Hell, I even toweled it 5 times till it shut off and then threw it in the freezer. Bastard keeps coming back on. However, it just freezes about 10 minutes into doing anything. Even just in the dash.

I've even asked the console: "why won't you die?" It apparently just laughs and starts up again. So, any ideas on how I might either a) kill it b)fix it

pCeSlAyEr

squatingyeti said:
Have any of you just had a problem with the games freezing, no artifacting, and the music will start to play again after a couple of minutes? This is my other console and it's not RROD so it can't go to MS. I've tried toweling it, but this son of a bitch won't die. Hell, I even toweled it 5 times till it shut off and then threw it in the freezer. Bastard keeps coming back on. However, it just freezes about 10 minutes into doing anything. Even just in the dash.

I've even asked the console: "why won't you die?" It apparently just laughs and starts up again. So, any ideas on how I might either a) kill it b)fix it

why dont you just say call MS and say it RRoD on you and send it anyway?

It will eventually RRoD on its own given enough time, so why not?

squatingyeti said:

My relatively new Xbox 360 (I think it's the jasper model with HDMI and lower power consumption) just started with this freezing business. I don't have any advice -- yet -- but if I learn anything I'll let you know.

In the meantime, misery loves company and all that . . .

Treo360

squatingyeti said:

Shit dude this is almost a mirror image post of what I went through when I was trying to get my 360 to RROD, it eventually gave up the Ghost and RROd'd however I had requested a box from MS anyway, as I have sent in a box that gave me an e-74 that I reported as RROD. They fixed it anyway.

EDit:

Holy shit that's a bump from the past.

Top Bottom