• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Star Wars: Jedi Survivor September 5 patch has added official DLSS support on PC | There's several perf improvements on PS5/XBS as well

proandrad

Thanks for the update. Is Koboh one of the more challenging areas i.e. is that likely the worst we'll see? And the occasional dips very minor in general? I have VRR, but my PQ is better without it....

Cheers.
It's not perfect, I've seen my frames drop to 50 when leaving a planet on your ship. But during gameplay it seems to range from 55-60 and mostly 60. This better than the original release by miles, wish I would have waited to play.

On PS5 btw.

Zuzu

Thanks for the update. Is Koboh one of the more challenging areas i.e. is that likely the worst we'll see? And the occasional dips very minor in general? I have VRR, but my PQ is better without it....

Cheers.

Koboh is the worst performing area of the game by & large especially around the river which runs through the central part of the map (though I'm basing that on when there was ray-tracing in both modes).

Last edited:

King Dazzar

It's not perfect, I've seen my frames drop to 50 when leaving a planet on your ship. But during gameplay it seems to range from 55-60 and mostly 60. This better than the original release by miles, wish I would have waited to play.

On PS5 btw.

Koboh is the worst performing area of the game by & large especially around the river which runs through the central part of the map (though I'm basing that on when there was ray-tracing in both modes).
Thanks guys. I'll be on PS5. Looks like I may still need VRR depending on how frequently I notice the dips...

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?
It runs great on PS5 now but I swear, there's something fucked up about the lighting in performance mode, and water reflections are totally busted now.

They probably went in and butchered the tech to get closer to a 60 FPS lock. Removed the forced RT from it at least.

The game already looked terrible in performance mode, the pre-post patch comparisons will be interesting.

Last edited:

damidu

It runs great on PS5 now but I swear, there's something fucked up about the lighting in performance mode, and water reflections are totally busted now.
well they completely removed rt
so lighting, shadows etc definitely lost impact

on first level, some places that were beautifully shadowed are brightly lit now.

still its not as bad everywhere, and definitely prefer solid 60fps and clearer img
for performance mode

skit_data

I want to like this and will probably end up buying it at some point but Fallen Order was just one of those games that left a pretty mediocre impression. Combat and some of the puzzles were pretty fun but 90% of all backtracking and exploration leading only to cosmetics felt like a slap in the face compared to similar games. Maybe the team were a little too used to making cosmetics for Apex Legends.
Is it better in this game?

Godot25

Banned
Lol. With every release companies are giving me less reason to play story driven games Day one.

Like seriously. If you bought Jedi Survivor day one you paid more many for worse experience.

Even polished games like Gow Ragnarök are missing stuff like Photo Mode or NG+ at release so even there it is better to wait...
Only "worry" is that you can have story spoiled on the internet but I found out that if you are not intentionally trying to have story spoiled, you can avoid spoilers with ease even while using social networks.

Zuzu

I want to like this and will probably end up buying it at some point but Fallen Order was just one of those games that left a pretty mediocre impression. Combat and some of the puzzles were pretty fun but 90% of all backtracking and exploration leading only to cosmetics felt like a slap in the face compared to similar games. Maybe the team were a little too used to making cosmetics for Apex Legends.
Is it better in this game?

Yeah I don't know why they think cosmetics is an interesting enough carrot on a stick to drive exploration. In a game like Metroid Prime for example exploring and backtracking almost always reaps tangible gameplay benefits like health & missile upgrades and new tools and abilities. (I say 'almost always' because there may be some areas in Prime where exploring leads to lore discoveries only - I can't remember - but I will take interesting lore over cosmetics any day of the week.) Cosmetics aren't that interesting.

CGNoire

They've added more stances to the combat - 3 additional ones which is a decent evolution but many of the actual skills you unlock for each stance aren't that interesting or useful and don't make the combat much more fun a lot of the time. There's also hardly any actual lightsaber combo moves you can do which I don't like.
Ive always seen Stance based combat as a Red Flag for this reason. Games have a limited moveset budget and by spreading it thin accross 3 modes you have to manually shift though prevents players from truly expressing themselves via combo creation.

No animation cancelling sucks as well.

Please tell me there isnt just one combo per stance and that you can combine moves into combos in at least some capacity?

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?
This video shows the big improvement. Unbelievable that it’s only just now being brought up to the level it should’ve released at. EA I’d like my cheque please for beta testing your game :messenger_face_steam:

Sarcastic Season 9 GIF by The Office

skit_data

Yeah I don't know why they think cosmetics is an interesting enough carrot on a stick to drive exploration. In a game like Metroid Prime for example exploring and backtracking almost always reaps tangible gameplay benefits like health & missile upgrades and new tools and abilities. (I say 'almost always' because there may be some areas in Prime where exploring leads to lore discoveries only - I can't remember - but I will take interesting lore over cosmetics any day of the week.) Cosmetics aren't that interesting.
Yeah, I also thought of Metroid Prime and how it and Dark Souls is feels like some sort of golden standard in terms backtracking/non linear design. I really don't understand why Respawn thought it would be a good idea to have cosmetics as the reward when there are such prime (no pun intended) examples of doing it right.
It also confuses me because it probably takes the dev team time and resources to design and build the puzzles/side areas whereas the rewards for doing them feels like a last minute solution.

Still seeing some folks talking about a few things not quite up to snuff, but this seems a lot better.

I planned on picking it up closer to the holidays(it'll be on sale I'm sure) for my son and it's good to know it's much improved over launch.

Who knows, maybe they'll be on Patch 8 or 9 by then, lol.

Imtjnotu

Played it last night after updating.

Firstly reflections of water now look way worse.

Frame rate is very much improved

FRS is still hot garbage.

Image quality is garbage still.

Performance mode dithering is still very bad.

RoadHazard

Gold Member
Seems pretty nice now, but I'd want the physical version, and that's still full price, so eh... Will wait for a sale or PS+.

DenchDeckard

Moderated wildly
This video shows the big improvement. Unbelievable that it’s only just now being brought up to the level it should’ve released at. EA I’d like my cheque please for beta testing your game :messenger_face_steam:

Seems really good now! hyped as fook I got this to get to. My physical copy is sat ready to go on my series X!

damidu

copying message from the game thread, stay still away if you are on pc..
console version seems pretty fine for now. game is fun as well. glad i waited.

wow word of a caution for anyone willing to give this a go on pc, after dlss updates. you can make the image and fps look pretty good.
but cant believe how horrible it gets at koboh, constant travel stutters, 2 second pauses in and out of every cutscene.
its at an unbelievable state half a year after release.

ps5 performance mode after last patch plays like a dream compared to this. stick to consoles for now.

mckmas8808

Mckmaster uses MasterCard to buy Slave drives
AMD sponsored game randomly adds DLSS 4+ months after release.

Will Ferrell Lol GIF by NBA

So timed exclusive. Wow!

This game is one of the best Star Wars games ever made and I think it would be in the GOTY conversation if it wasn’t for the bad performance.

The dumb decision to release this game early really hurt this game to the point were it won’t get the positive attention it deserved.

What would you rate the first Star Wars Jedi game? And what would you rate this one?

So much incompetence they had raytracing in performance mode ?
Jedi survivor ran like shit in performance mode when I played it a few months ago

I'm really wanting to get this for my son. Are the improvements enough now to warrant the purchase on sale or should I wait closer to the holidays for maybe another patch or two to maybe come down the pipe?

JohnnyFootball

GerAlt-Right. Ciriously.
I'm really wanting to get this for my son. Are the improvements enough now to warrant the purchase on sale or should I wait closer to the holidays for maybe another patch or two to maybe come down the pipe?
If you haven't gotten it by now, might as well wait until the holidays when it will likely be $20-$30.

It was a great game for me even with all the issues.

proandrad

So much incompetence they had raytracing in performance mode ?
Jedi survivor ran like shit in performance mode when I played it a few months ago
I think there are a lot of developers that really think having a game with a variable framerate that goes from 30 to 60 is perfectly fine. Doesn’t help that many game journalists are completely clueless and don’t comment on performance issues in previews or reviews.

Beer Baelly

Al Pachinko, Konami President
I think there are a lot of developers that really think having a game with a variable framerate that goes from 30 to 60 is perfectly fine. Doesn’t help that many game journalists are completely clueless and don’t comment on performance issues in previews or reviews.

Nah, I think 99% of developers would like a steady framerate. Some people dont see it or are bothered.

So timed exclusive. Wow!

What would you rate the first Star Wars Jedi game? And what would you rate this one?

Jedi Fallen Order - 7
Jedi Survivor - 8.5

The issues I had with survivor is combat, it still needs work and it’s a bit janky. The performance issues was also a problem but it looks like they fixed that with the latest patch.The map is better but still not perfect.

Story, graphics and presentation are all top notch. If you like Star Wars you will enjoy the game from start to finish. If you didn’t play Faller order I would actually suggest skipping that game and just jumping into this one. They give you a recap of the first game anyway.

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
Played it last night after updating.

Firstly reflections of water now look way worse.

Frame rate is very much improved

FRS is still hot garbage.

Image quality is garbage still.

Performance mode dithering is still very bad.
Trash development.

How can the first game look as good as it did, and perform rock solid 60. This sequel does not push it that much more into the stratosphere. I think that RT prioritization with FSR reliance did way more damage to the overall rasterization pipeline.

Last edited:

Ywap

Still runs pretty bad for me. Lots of stuttering, shadow and vegetation pop-in + the usual UE white flash texture pop-in. The vegetation against the water looks really strange too. All in all, it still feels very unpolished.

This is with a 12700k, 3080, 32 ram and ray tracing off @ 1080p/DLSS quality.

Last edited:

Kerotan

Jedi Fallen Order - 7
Jedi Survivor - 8.5

The issues I had with survivor is combat, it still needs work and it’s a bit janky. The performance issues was also a problem but it looks like they fixed that with the latest patch.The map is better but still not perfect.

Story, graphics and presentation are all top notch. If you like Star Wars you will enjoy the game from start to finish. If you didn’t play Faller order I would actually suggest skipping that game and just jumping into this one. They give you a recap of the first game anyway.
Nah if you've not played the first and don't know the story it's worth playing for the ending alone.

VRR support for this is big. Glad I held off. Will there be more improvements coming or is this likely as good as it gets?

Top Bottom