• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NeoGAF's Official Game Soundtracks of the Year 2013: Voting Ends January 12th

wmlk

Thanks guys, EO4 is really something else. Sadly, I'm not compelled enough to buy and play a 3DS for that game since it's just the music I'm in love with.

Honestly, it's probably the best RPG music since Nier.

Joeku

1. Metal Gear Rising: Revengeance (best use of music pretty much ever)
2. Assassin's Creed IV (way to make collectibles not shit)
3. Far Cry: Blood Dragon (gimme dat 80's synth)

WA7AsQO.jpg

1. Etrian Odyssey IV

There had been some concern over 4's change of format from PC-88 synth the first 3 titles were written with, but once again, video game treasure Koshiro comes thru yet again with a fantastic soundtrack worthy of his legacy and the series' reputation.

Storm

That flourish at the end of the loop!

Faith is My Pillar

That intro!

Windy Plains

The staccato strings give off a feeling of tentative steps mirroring your own in this first area of the game. Then you get SRKed out of the sky by a giant kangaroo.

Misty Ravine

The series has gained a tradition of the 2nd stratums having achingly mysterious and beautiful tracks.

Ruins Touched By Memories of the Ancients

Magnificient use of time signatures, simply magnificient.

If there is a weakness to the soundtrack, it's the bossfight themes, which are aimlessly bombastic for the series where "this sounds like the end of the goddamn world" was the best description for earlier bossfight themes. The End of Raging Waves -> The End of Raging Winds shows this off nicely.

uK72vzN.jpg

2. Shin Megami Tensei IV

Another soundtrack that could been a real disappointment, but Kozuka's slipped comfortably into the disquieting electronica/industrial metal shoes of Masuda, Tasaki, and Meguro without fail.

Mid-boss Battle

Tokyo Field

Camp Ichigaya

Black Market

"You're not changing HERE, are you?"

CTPX9aB.jpg

3. Gunpoint

This soundtrack of Matz, Ike, and Cerda's is wonderfully low-fi synthy jazz. Thinkin' music for thinkin' up creative ways to jack fools.

Defenestraight to My Heart

Circuitry, Security, and You

The Five Floor Goodbye

Runner Ups

Tales of Xillia 1

Sakuraba grew a spine, and the Old Magic returned. Go figure. Good battle themes and down-tempo rusticky acoustic in this one.

Daring Sword

Overflowing Nature

The World Sinking into Darkness

Last of Us, Pokemon X & Y, and Far Cry 3: Blood Dragon round out the runner ups.

Best Soundtrack Not Composed for a 2013 Release

Devil Summoner: Soul Hackers

This soundtrack is MONSTEROUS, with over a hundred tracks from four celebrated composers (Toshiko Tasaki, Shoji Meguro, Tsukasa Masuko, and Kenichi Tsuchiya) giving top notch compositions in a soundtrack mixed with this buzzy, soft fashion of cyberpunk electronica that the game needs. If it wasn't for my personal rule of "when it was composed for", this would have been a bloody battle in my mind between this and EO4.

Forum 2

Picture Gallery Radder

You can take as long as you like armor-shopping.

Terminal

Same as with saving.

2D Field 1

Or with getting from place to place.

Amami Airport (Vision Quest)

Nert

Uncle Nert’s Wacky Pick ™ of the day is...

Christmas
santa-guitar-300x300.jpg

Composers: Santa Claus, Jesus Christ, The Insatiable Beast that is Rampant Consumerism
Album Information

------------------

Hey everybody! I decided to do holiday stuff with the family again today. I did go back and update that post about Pokémon X & Pokémon Y, though, so check that out if you're so inclined.

Also, I continue to be impressed by the quality of the write-ups that are accompanying some of the votes here. Keep up the great work, everyone!

I'm not very fond of the RebelFM podcast and Arthur Gies' work, but they do a nice Game Music roundup podcast discussion (with music in between) every year that I like to listen to. Respect to Arthur for editing it every year during the Holidays

You can find the podcast HERE

RebelFM said:
This year’s music, in order of appearance:

DMC – Combichrist – No Redemption

Strike Suit Zero – Main Theme

Strike Suit Zero – Thule Research Station

MGRR – Rule of Nature

MGRR – I’m My Own Master Now

Tomb Raider – The Descent

Tomb Raider – The Tomb Raider

Far Cry 3: Blood Dragon – Blood Dragon Theme

Far Cry 3: Blood Dragon – Power Kore

Kentucky Router Zero: Act 1 – The Bedquilt Ramblers – You’ve Got to Walk

Kentucky Route Zero: Act 1 – Ghosts in the Static

Gunpoint – Main Theme

Bioshock Infinite – God Only Knows

Bioshock Infinite – Girls Just Want to Have Fun

Bioshock Infinite – Fortunate Son

State of Decay – Main Theme

The Last of Us – The Last of Us

The Last of Us – The Quarantine

The Last of Us – The Outbreak

The Last of Us – Vanishing

Remember Me – Nilin The Memory Hunter

Remember Me – Fragments

Remember Me – Neo-Paris

Splinter Cell Blacklist – Welcome to Fourth Echelon

Brothers – Main Theme

Brothers – Webbed

Gone Home – The House, Part 1

Gone Home – The House, Part 2

Grand Theft Auto V – We Were Set Up

The Wolf Among Us – main theme

Guacamelee – Forest del Chivo

Killer Instinct 2013 – Main Theme

Killer Instinct 2013 – Sabrewulf’s theme

Resogun – Ready For Deployment

Assassin’s Creed 4: Black Flag – Dead Horse

Assassin’s Creed 4: Black Flag – Fish in the Sea

Assassin’s Creed 4: Black Flag – Leave Her Johnny

Super Mario 3D World – Ghost House Theme

OUTRO: Katamari Damacy – Main Theme

Yuterald

Pokémon X and Pokémon Y
ibsnnbVX0X9wpJ.png

Composers: Shota Kageyama, Minako Adachi, Hitomi Sato, Junichi Masuda, Morikazu Aoki, Go Ichinose, Satoshi Nohara
Album Information

------------------

Anistar City: The atmosphere that this song creates is remarkable. I'm a sucker for the inclusion of clock sounds in music (see: Sigma Harmonics), and pairing them with this song's sparse-yet-powerful piano results in these indelible few seconds before the song loops. Before you even set eyes upon its mammoth crystalline edifice, this music lets you know that Anistar City has that whole "powerful, ancient mechanical wonder" thing going on.

Man, I haven't played a Pokemon game since the Blue & Red days back when I was a kid. I had no idea tacks like this were sitting around in those games. I may have to at least check out X & Y at some point because that specific town track is really doing it for me, hah! I also really like that power plant track you posted too.

Interestingly enough, certain parts of this track instantly reminded me of Klonoa. Actually, I quickly researched to see if any of those Pokemon composers had anything to do with the Klonoa soundtracks, but it looked like they had nothing to do with those games. Seriously, listen to The Moon Kingdom from the original Klonoa and tell me that there isn't a resemblance!? I mean, both songs have similar bells and piano arrangements, but there are specific moments in both songs that just feel like they were going for the same ideas. Listen to Klonoa's track from 2:00 until around the 3:00 mark. Then, listen to that Pokemon song from 40 to around the 1:05 mark. I'm not a music major and I don't feel educated enough in music to throw around/describe what's happening in those tracks during those particular ranges, but I feel like the two tracks resonate with each other, like they share the same ideas. Also, it's cool to note that both songs have those neat transitional moments before a song loops (the clock ticking in the Pokemon song and that heart beat-like bass in Klonoa). Love stuff like that too!

EDIT: By the way, should I just continue to edit my original post when I want to add my next entry (doing them one at a time) or would it be a problem to make a new post (say with just my entries excluding the introduction I wrote) for my second/third entries? I was thinking about writing up a section or two for most disappointing soundtrack/music that just didn't click with me too. Would that be cool?

Jachaos

1. The Last of Us
2. Fire Emblem Awakening
3. Bioshock Infinite

Honorable Mentions. The Legend of Zelda : A Link Between Worlds. Assassin's Creed IV : Black Flag. Pokémon X/Y.

TWILT

Banned

Pokémon X and Pokémon Y
ibsnnbVX0X9wpJ.png

Composers: Shota Kageyama, Minako Adachi, Hitomi Sato, Junichi Masuda, Morikazu Aoki, Go Ichinose, Satoshi Nohara
Album Information
Good read Nert. Yeah, some tracks were hit and miss for me, but I still think XY has the best Pokemon soundtrack yet. Anistar City is definitely one of my favorite tracks.

Hope you keep doing these!

2GDGIBk.png

1. Mighty Switch Force! 2
I feel like I have to contain the urge to spontaneously groove when I listen to the Mighty Switch Force 2 soundtrack.
Its boundless energy and upbeat melodies are joy-igniting, and they dare to make me run a marathon, dance, or a combination of the two.

Got2BAStar
Glow
Dalmatian Station
Rainbow Love Zone

KHnHun4.png

2. Super Mario 3D World
A soundtrack of many flavors, Super Mario 3D World inspires with its big band melodies and other playful themes.
The wide array of instrumentation in impressive, and it lends to the equally-varied game design.

Beach Theme
Hands-On Hall
Beep Block Skyway

GCfMPqs.png

3. Phoenix Wright: Ace Attorney - Dual Destinies
This soundtrack reeled me into the mysteries, humor, and exciting courtroom shenanigans and revelations found in Dual Destinies.
Character have great theme music that fit their personalities well, be it goofy, bubbly, slightly sardonic, serious, and so on. The music in this game also keeps the thrill going in the heat of a courtroom battle.

Athena Cykes ~ Courtroom Révolutionnaire
Cross Examination ~ Allegro
Running Wild · Mood Matrix ~ Get A Grip On Yourself

Honorable Mentions:

Metal Gear Solid: Revengeance - I'm My Own Master Now
Pokemon X & Y - Geosenge Town
Shin Megami Tensei IV - Streetpass
Dragon's Crown - Tutorial/Cooking
Final Fantasy XIV: A Realm Reborn - Coerthas Central Highlands
Pikmin 3 - A Rainy Day
------------------------------------------
2013 was another great year for video game music. While perusing this thread, I've stumbled upon some new favorites. Killer Instinct's and Dodonpachi Saidaioujou's soundtracks are two such pleasant surprises!

Sallokin

1. Final Fantasy XIV: A Realm Reborn
The music was already good, but the new release has some truly amazing tracks. I would recommend grabbing the Before Meteor Blu Ray soundtrack and checking it out too.

2. Shin Megami Tensei IV
A lot of already great things have been said about this soundtrack. They just don't make 'em like this anymore.

3. Fire Emblem: Awakening
I can, and did, just let the game idle in spots so I could soak in the amazingness.

Honorable Mentions:
SMT: DS: Soul Hackers
Legend of Zelda: ALBW
Metal Gear Rising
Bravely Default
Rogue Legacy
Ys: Memories of Celceta
Risk of Rain - I think it's amazing and maybe not a lot of people are aware of it or the game. Standout tracks = Surface Tension, Hailstorm, Chanson d'Automne

1. Metal Gear Rising Revengance
I end up listening to this soundtrack once a week somehow. I know and sing the lyrics of the boss tracks. I bought this soundtrack to support the people behind the music. Whenever I hear the music in-game, it's the most excitement I feel all year. This could be my favorite next year as the Steam release is Jan 9th.

Rules of Nature (Platinum Mix)
The Only Thing I Know For Real (Maniac Agenda Mix)
Dark Skies (Platinum Mix)
I'm My Own Master Now (Platinum Mix)
A Stranger I Remain (Maniac Agenda Mix)
The Stains of Time (Maniac Agenda Mix)
Red Sun (Maniac Agenda Mix)
Collective Consciousness (Maniac Agenda Mix)
It Has to Be This Way (Platinum Mix)
The Hot Wind Blowing (Platinum Mix)
(Credit to branny as he compiled this list)

2. Sonic Lost World
While not as good as older Sonic games soundtracks, Lost World has some really easy-to-listen tracks I grew to love, and fit really well with the game. Very hummable tracks for me.

Windy Hil Zone 1
Desert Ruins Zone 2
Des(s)ert Ruins Zone 3
Tropical Coast Zone 3/Lava Mountain Zone 2
Sky Road Zone 1
Sky Road Zone 4
Deadly Six Theme
Final Boss Theme

3. Killer Instinct
I never expected KI to be a good game or have an interesting soundtrack, but it does, and it does. I really favor only two tracks out of the 7 or 8 it's got, but I listen to those tracks regularly. Hopefully the new lines of KI fighters bring cool tracks to it. Among the most awesome title tracks for a fighter ever.

Main Theme
Sadira's Theme

Honorable Mentions

KOF XIII Steam Edition. It got a 2013 release, and It's still my favorite fighting game and sountrack of last gen (Gen 7).

Wonderful 101. The other Platinum 2013 release, where the music really gets you into it.
English Main Theme

Nert

Gunpoint
i6ihX37aP2isv.png

Composers: John Robert Matz, Ryan Ike, Francisco Cerda
Album Information

------------------

Gunpoint, like a handful of other high-profile indie games before it, has gotten a lot of attention for being developed by a single person (in this case, Tom Francis, formally of PC Gamer). It isn't difficult to see how having one driving force behind the game's mechanics, level design and just about everything else would lend a sense of cohesion to the game. The soundtrack, despite being composed by three different people with different styles, comfortably slides in with the rest of the game by infusing it with an intriguing mix of film-noir style jazz and synth-y goodness.

Much like hip hop, jazz is a style of music that is relatively underutilized in gaming, so its inclusion in Gunpoint does a lot to accentuate the game's distinct setting and spy aesthetic. Subterfuge Shuffle, which boasts one of this soundtrack's many excellent song titles, does a great job of representing a seedy, near-future urban environment and the spry little superhuman that is darting around it (that second part is how I interpret the xylophone, at least... maybe I'm just nuts).

Like many other noteworthy soundtracks from 2013, Gunpoint includes two different versions of a plurality of its level music. The "Crosslink" tracks, which are used whenever you are hacking terminals and crossing wires, swap out many of the traditional instruments for more electronic sounds. Unlike their counterparts in other soundtracks, the Crosslink songs aren't necessarily the "dark" or "quieter" versions of the normal songs. Cold Halls and Footfalls - Crosslink, for example, is actually a little more forceful in its sound.

The Five-Floor Goodbye is one of my favorites from the album. It's easy to clap along to the song's introduction, especially if you enjoy a great bassline as much as I do. Tom Christiansen from Indie Game Magazine pointed out that this song was inspired by someone plummeting to their death from a great height; the inclusion of some wobble bass lends some (apparently) appropriate edge to its overall sound.

Defenestraight To My Heart (again, these song titles are great) is the most energetic and propulsive track on the album, buoyed by an invigorating saxophone. After spending some time separately developing different components of the song (including the saxophone, the piano, and the primary synth melody), Defenestraight To My Heart pulls them all together at around 4:35 to wrap things up in a highly satisfying manner. Neat!

This game's original soundtrack release contains a surprisingly large amount of unused material. I haven't listened through all of it yet myself, but I would like to quickly point out two of those songs that caught my attention. Cerda's Melancholia Waltz (Cover) is a livelier take on the game's main theme. In some ways, it almost feels more fitting for the game than the original, given the very silly acrobatic feats that you can pull off while playing. I'm also a fan of Ike's High-Tail It!, with a brass component that screams "get out of here now."

I haven't heard a lot from these three composers before, but this album definitely makes me want to track down some of their prior work.

Nert

I want to take the time to give more thoughtful responses to a lot of the excellent posts in this thread, but I'll answer this question super quickly before falling asleep tonight:

EDIT: By the way, should I just continue to edit my original post when I want to add my next entry (doing them one at a time) or would it be a problem to make a new post (say with just my entries excluding the introduction I wrote) for my second/third entries? I was thinking about writing up a section or two for most disappointing soundtrack/music that just didn't click with me too. Would that be cool?

Because these voting threads are still relatively small, I still have the luxury of being able count everyone's vote by hand without it taking a prohibitive amount of time. This allows people to have a lot of freedom in how they format their posts. As long as the soundtracks that you would like to be given points (or simple tallies, in the case of honorable mentions) are clearly marked at some point, you're welcome to write about anything soundtrack related.

To use myself as an example, I'm going all over the place with my "Wacky Picks," but I will also submit an actual vote by January 5th
I honestly have no idea what I'll be giving points to right now, which makes things more exciting for me

Yuterald

I want to take the time to give more thoughtful responses to a lot of excellent posts in this thread, but I'll answer this question super quickly before falling asleep tonight:

Because these voting threads are still relatively small, I still have the luxury of being able count everyone's vote by hand without it taking a prohibitive amount of time. This allows people to have a lot of freedom in how they format their posts. As long as the soundtracks that you would like to be given points (or simple tallies, in the case of honorable mentions) are clearly marked at some point, you're welcome to write about anything soundtrack related.

To use myself as an example, I'm going all over the place with my "Wacky Picks," but I will also submit an actual vote by January 5th
I honestly have no idea what I'll be giving points to right now, which makes things more exciting for me

Okay, cool! I'll probably have my second entry up at some point today. I might throw in one of my personal category ideas too like "My most disappointing OST of the year". Thanks!

Yuterald

718575_322925_thumb.jpg

2.) Crimson Dragon

My biggest impulse purchase of the year has to go to the Xbox One. I had no plans on picking up this system for a long time. Actually, a year ago, I had no intentions on EVER buying this system. Well, as the release date approached I started to see more videos and read more information on Crimson Dragon, the spiritual successor to Panzer Dragoon, a series I was fortunate enough to play/own as a kid. Impressions weren't too hot from the old school fans nor did the general media seem to give two shits about this experimental shooter. After doing some research on the game itself I decided to hop on over to YouTube to give the OST a whirl figuring that would make the deciding factor for my investment. Well, I'm glad I did because now it's one of my favorite soundtracks for the year.

Saori Kobayashi's sound is a unique as it gets. No one else can imitate her music, as far as I'm concerned. There's just something so otherworldly and unique about her work. While I do admit that Crimson Dragon's soundtrack doesn't hold a candle to her previous work/contributions on Panzer Dragoon Saga/Orta, I still can't believe I'm hearing music like this in 2013. When I first heard Sunrise I realized I had to play this game. So many waves of nostalgia washed over me when I first heard this track. What I love about her work with these Panzer Dragoon titles is just how earthly the games sound. It is the ultimate pioneer music too. I can just picture people settling/setting foot on earth for the first time. I don't know if it's all the different percussion/tribal-like drums she uses or what, but I just visualize so much wild imagery while listening to this music. She must also have some alien setting on her keyboard/synthesizer too that's labeled "Panzer Dragoon" because I have no idea how she's producing that sound.

What's interesting to note, Crimson Dragon's soundtrack is basically split between two games. The Windows Phone version, Side Story, contains the same tracks found in the home console version, as far as I know. The two games, however, provide different arrangements of the same tracks. The best/easiest way to describe it would be that the Side Story game sounds more game-y/arcade-like while the Xbox One game sounds more orchestral. To provide an example, here's one of my favorite tracks in the game; Lost Colony from the Xbox One game and Hestrine from the Windows version. I find from 1:56 to 3:20 to be particularly incredible. You can also hear those alien-like sounds I was describing during this range, hah! Two other notable tracks are The Warped Wilds and Fire World. Both tracks fit their environments perfectly and they're thematic in nature. The Warped Wilds has you flying through a sea of trees while Fire World takes you to the core of the earth. Just all around classic stuff. While I haven't played Side Story, I've listened to the two soundtracks extensively and I surprisingly prefer the Side Story arrangements. That's not to say that the Xbox One renditions are bad or anything, I just prefer the other arrangements more.

Say what you will about the game itself, but Crimson Dragon has a soundtrack like no other. No other game/soundtrack I've played/listened to this year could have provided the emotions or feelings I experienced from this game and for that reason alone it is in my top 3.

Nert

Migraines aren't the greatest (although seeing something akin to aurora borealis for a few minutes in my office today before it really hit me was interesting), so I'll be skipping today's post.

Just to throw a question out to everybody right now: are you comfortable with January 5th being the deadline? I'm fine with pushing it back a few days if enough people feel like the extra time would help them flesh out their posts and listen to more new things, but I don't want to draw the process out too much if there isn't a real need to do so.

I might do a Top 5 instead of a Top 3 this year, if that's okay with you. I listened to some good stuff the other day.

That would be completely fine with me! Only the top three will receive points, of course, but everyone is encouraged to take as many liberties with how they format their posts as they want.

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
I'd probably be the only one asking for more time. >.>

I might do a Top 5 instead of a Top 3 this year, if that's okay with you. I listened to some good stuff the other day.

Thoraxes

Migraines aren't the greatest (although seeing something akin to aurora borealis for a few minutes in my office today before it really hit me was interesting), so I'll be skipping today's post.

Just to throw a question out to everybody right now: are you comfortable with January 5th being the deadline? I'm fine with pushing it back a few days if enough people feel like the extra time would help them flesh out their posts and listen to more new things, but I don't want to draw the process out too much if there isn't a real need to do so.

I'm cool with it either way. More time is always nice and doesn't really hurt anything, but if you wanna keep the original date, that should be fine too.

cj_iwakura

718575_322925_thumb.jpg

2.) Crimson Dragon

My biggest impulse purchase of the year has to go to the Xbox One. I had no plans on picking up this system for a long time. Actually, a year ago, I had no intentions on EVER buying this system. Well, as the release date approached I started to see more videos and read more information on Crimson Dragon, the spiritual successor to Panzer Dragoon, a series I was fortunate enough to play/own as a kid. Impressions weren't too hot from the old school fans nor did the general media seem to give two shits about this experimental shooter. After doing some research on the game itself I decided to hop on over to YouTube to give the OST a whirl figuring that would make the deciding factor for my investment. Well, I'm glad I did because now it's one of my favorite soundtracks for the year.

Saori Kobayashi's sound is a unique as it gets. No one else can imitate her music, as far as I'm concerned. There's just something so otherworldly and unique about her work. While I do admit that Crimson Dragon's soundtrack doesn't hold a candle to her previous work/contributions on Panzer Dragoon Saga/Orta, I still can't believe I'm hearing music like this in 2013. When I first heard Sunrise I realized I had to play this game. So many waves of nostalgia washed over me when I first heard this track. What I love about her work with these Panzer Dragoon titles is just how earthly the games sound. It is the ultimate pioneer music too. I can just picture people settling/setting foot on earth for the first time. I don't know if it's all the different percussion/tribal-like drums she uses or what, but I just visualize so much wild imagery while listening to this music. She must also have some alien setting on her keyboard/synthesizer too that's labeled "Panzer Dragoon" because I have no idea how she's producing that sound.

What's interesting to note, Crimson Dragon's soundtrack is basically split between two games. The Windows Phone version, Side Story, contains the same tracks found in the home console version, as far as I know. The two games, however, provide different arrangements of the same tracks. The best/easiest way to describe it would be that the Side Story game sounds more game-y/arcade-like while the Xbox One game sounds more orchestral. To provide an example, here's one of my favorite tracks in the game; Lost Colony from the Xbox One game and Hestrine from the Windows version. I find from 1:56 to 3:20 to be particularly incredible. You can also hear those alien-like sounds I was describing during this range, hah! Two other notable tracks are The Warped Wilds and Fire World. Both tracks fit their environments perfectly and they're thematic in nature. The Warped Wilds has you flying through a sea of trees while Fire World takes you to the core of the earth. Just all around classic stuff. While I haven't played Side Story, I've listened to the two soundtracks extensively and I surprisingly prefer the Side Story arrangements. That's not to say that the Xbox One renditions are bad or anything, I just prefer the other arrangements more.

Say what you will about the game itself, but Crimson Dragon has a soundtrack like no other. No other game/soundtrack I've played/listened to this year could have provided the emotions or feelings I experienced from this game and for that reason alone it is in my top 3.

Considering Orta is my favorite oXbox game, this sounds amazing. I really can't say I'd spent $500 to play it though.

Yuterald

Considering Orta is my favorite oXbox game, this sounds amazing. I really can't say I'd spent $500 to play it though.

Yeah, as much as I'm digging Crimson Dragon (and a few other Xbox One games I didn't expect to play/enjoy) don't drop this amount of money for one game. I had the extra money at the time and said "fuck it, why not" when I probably shouldn't have, hah!

As far as extending the deadline, I wouldn't mine a few more days or another week. Actually, I'm somewhat struggling to pick my third game. I mean, I have a lot of ideas, but I'm not sure I feel as strongly about them as my top 2. I may also take the extra time to do the write ups for my "honorable mentions/most disappointed with", etc. Your call, buddy!

Grisby

I'm not very fond of the RebelFM podcast and Arthur Gies' work, but they do a nice Game Music roundup podcast discussion (with music in between) every year that I like to listen to. Respect to Arthur for editing it every year during the Holidays

You can find the podcast HERE
I dropped their podcast this year but I will listen for this. Arthur does make a good soundtrack listing.

Blue-kun

1. Ys: Memories of Celceta
It's hard for me not to go with the Falcom OST of any given year, and Celceta brought some terrific stuff to the table, so. Standout tracks below. I wanted to keep it to 3, but could not do it, so, five it is.
- Black Wings
- The False God of Causality
- Tower of Guidance ~ A Kiss for Eldeel
- The Morning After the Storm
- Ancient Land

2. Bravely Default
Been following Revo for a good while now with his Sound Horizon project, and listening to BD's soundtrack is a bit like hearing longer takes on the epic climaxes of SH's story songs. And there's nothing wrong with that, quite the opposite -- it's great. Track names below may or may not be wrong, lol.
- That Person's Name Is...
- Wicked Flight
- Conflict's Chime

3. Senran Kagura SHINOVI VERSUS
And lastly for one that still hasn't come out here but hopefully XSEED will be able to fix that soon. SK had good stuff, but SHINOVI VERSUS improved on it quite a bit. If you haven't noticed yet, I do love guitar-ish stuff (lol).
- 紅い本心
- 黒影様に捧ぐ
- 道元に誓う

watershed

Banned
Fire Emblem was the most surprising soundtrack of the year for me. I didn't expect the game to have such high quality orchestrations and such effective music. Great score.

megalowho

1. Tearaway
Gleeful, haunting, memorable and unique. The wide range of instrumentation and influences is particularly notable, as a harmonious hodgepodge of fiddles, pipes, accordions, percussion, common objects, kazoos, sea shanties, celtic folk, dance music and more coalesces into a surprisingly cohesive whole. Can't wait to hear what Brian D'Oliveira, Kenneth Young and the rest of the sound team at Media Molecule come up with next.
- Notable tracks: Follow the Sun, Renaissance Hop, Decorating, Pilgrimage, The Orchards, Lament & Hornpipe, Between the Pages - Page One, Bonus Sogport Song

2. Gunpoint
Songs for sneaky puzzle solving and late night taxi rides. A collection of smokey, low key compositions that elevate the game's take on detective noir beyond what pixelated visuals could accomplish alone. Electronic arrangements in Crosslink mode are used to great effect as you seamlessly flip back and forth, making an already cool mechanic sound and feel even cooler.
- Notable tracks: Dig, Dig (Crosslink), Cold Halls and Footfalls, Cold Halls and Footfalls (Crosslink), 'Round Gunpoint

3. Super Mario 3D World
The return of the king. Mario had been spinning his wheels for a while on the soundtrack front, but Mahito Yokota and Koji Kondo unearthed the legendary Saxophone of Inspiration and brought their A-game on 3D World from top to bottom. Fresh themes, a few remixed favorites and a brassy big band heart carves a musical sweet spot between Galaxy's orchestral majesty and the joyous, playful sensibilities of the past.
- Notable tracks: Overworld Theme, Chain-Link Charge, Lava Rock Lair, World 2 Map, World 3 Map, World 4 Map, World 8 Map

Honorable Mentions:

Shin Megami Tensei IV
- Notable tracks: Ikebukuro, Hunter Association
Europa Universalis IV
- Notable tracks: The Stone Masons, In the Streets
The Wolf Among Us
- Notable tracks: Main Theme, Crane's Office
Bioshock Infinite
- Notable tracks: God Only Knows, Will The Circle Be Unbroken (Choral Version)
The Legend of Zelda: A Link Between Worlds
- Notable tracks: Beginning Field, Lorule Field
Animal Crossing: New Leaf
- Notable tracks: Re-tail Theme, 5 P.M. Theme

Parsnip

1. Remember Me
2. Gunpoint
3. Guacamelee!

Honorable mention, Dark Souls. It's my "older game soundtrack of the year".

I need to brush up on games that came out this year, but it feels like not much came out this year that I got around playing and subsequently enjoying. Slim pickings.

Nert

Electronic Super Joy
ibuFRqQZWcO9wO.png

Composer: enV
Album Information

------------------

"We will not be held responsible for any hearing impediments or damage caused to you by excessive exposure to this sound... wobbbwowwwbobobobob " - This Sound

"Electronic Super Joy" is such an appropriate description of the game's own soundtrack that it's hard for me to come up with much else to say. This game's music doesn't feature subtle atmospheric touches, lengthy buildups to grandiose finishes or anything else that asks you to wait and be patient. This is the video game soundtrack equivalent of going nuts at a dance club and not taking a break for hours on end. It just goes.

Generic Techno exemplifies this by starting at full speed and never slowing down. The unrelenting, throbbing bassline more or less compels me to move, even if that means awkwardly shuffling around in an office chair. Other personal highlights include Bestammelse (more of a trance feel here), FutureShock (great use of piano and vocal samples in this one), Valiant (amazing drop at about 48 seconds in) and Switchblade (those are some filthy wubwubs).

If you're in the right mood for this kind of music, Electronic Super Joy will not disappoint. Just make sure to call a cab if you're not sure that you'll be able to make it home on your own, alright?

Toa TAK

Banned
1. BioShock Infinite
2. Far Cry 3: Blood Dragon
3. Metal Gear Rising: Revengance

Honorable Mentions:
Tomb Raider, The Wolf Among Us, and Assassin's Creed IV: Black Flag

Nert

The Last of Us
iVU4cezbDNn44.png

Composer: Gustavo Santaolalla
Album Information
Gustavo Santaolalla and The Last of Us on Top Score

------------------

Throughout my several years on NeoGAF
all time well spent, I can assure you
, one of the most commonly levied criticisms against modern game soundtracks that I've seen is that "they all sound like generic orchestrated movie soundtracks." Personally speaking, I toss that line of thinking into the metaphorical waste bin along with other groaners like "all JRPGs are the same" and "consoles are better than PCs because you can play them while sitting on your couch," but this sentiment seems like it's here to stay. People with that sort of mindset may choose to write off Santaolalla's work for The Last of Us, and that would be a real shame.

At the outset of this post, I included a link to an episode of Emily Reese's excellent video game soundtrack podcast "Top Score" that features an extended interview with Santaolalla. In addition to sharing some interesting tidbits about the beginning of his career, he goes into detail about the process of working on this soundtrack and why he made many of the choices that he did. The composition of the orchestra he worked with was lopsided towards instruments with lower pitches, and many of the instruments that he played himself (including a ronroco, a South American instrument with five double strings) operate at a lower pitch as well. This approach is appropriate, given the game's bleak and desolate atmosphere, and it enables the songs to feel like they all belong together while still incorporating a variety of instruments and sounds.

The Last of Us (the game's main theme) serves as a striking showcase for Santaolalla's ronroco. The repeated five-note pattern that weaves its way throughout the song is highly memorable, and its consistent presence contrasts nicely with the other sounds that drop in and out, mirroring the player's movement through the environment. The section that runs from roughly 1:39 to 2:19 is relatively serene and elevating, hinting at the idea that there may be hope for survival, before the song ends on a harsher and more uncertain note. Several different versions of this theme appear throughout the soundtrack; The Last of Us (You and Me) is especially resonant and evocative.

In the linked episode of Top Score, Santaolalla mentions that he likes to create music that doesn't browbeat or manipulate people into feeling specific emotions. Instead, he prefers a more subtle approach that leaves more room for individuals' interpretation. When I listen to Home, certain feelings certainly come to mind, including nostalgia and a sense of loss, but I wouldn't be able to label it as a "happy" or "sad" song. This ambiguity is also present in All Gone (No Escape), my favorite song on the album. As the lengthiest and most developed version of All Gone, this song (and its resplendent viola) reflects the moral ambiguity in what takes place during the game's climax.

Smugglers is one of the more energetic and easily loop-able pieces on this soundtrack. The forcefully thudding beat, which sounds like an accelerated heartbeat, provides a layer of tension and dread underneath the already alarmed sounding guitar. The moment towards the end where the guitar fades away into the garbled sounds of a broken radio is a great touch.

So generic, right?

GhaleonQ

I'd probably be the only one asking for more time. >.>

*nervous cough* My twin nephews' baptism is this coming weekend, but, unfortunately, my week after is no less busy. The 7th would be perfect, giving it the full 3 weeks. Otherwise, I don't know Nert's schedule, but the 14th would correspond closely with Game Of The Year voting and give people time to steamroll games last second.

I AM GOING TO CRY SO HARD THIS WEEK LISTENING TO SOUNDTRACK AFTER SOUNDTRACK. Hopefully, some of those tears are from beautiful music.

jett

D-Member
1. The Last Of Us
Wonderfully restrained, acoustic work from Gustavo Santaolalla. It most gives a unique aural atmosphere to the game.

2. Metal Gear Rising
TLoU's polar opposite: over the top, guns blazing metal complete with screeching guitar solos and screamingly cheesy lyrics. Fits the manic nature of the game's gameplay like a glove.

3. Rayman Legends
A soundtrack worthy of being Rayman Origins's sequel.
This is amazing.

Special mention: Super Mario 3D World. Haven't played the game, bu tI've really enjoyed what I've listened to, although not quite as fantastic as the SMG soundtracks.

1. Bioshock Infinite
It tells much of its story with its sound and music because its part of the plot, something insanely complicated to do. And the versions of famous music, in ragtime, boudeville and barbershop quartets (some of my favourite type of music) are out of this world.

2. The Legend of Zelda A Link Between Worlds
Never had a portable Zelda such quality orchestrated music. More than 90 tracks of awesomeness and dungeon music variety being a top of all.

3. Bravely Default
Every time I hear one of those epic tracks that the game loves to use during tutorial and epic moments, damn, I have goosebumps. Reminds me of the excellence of FFIX OST.

Honorable Mentions:
The Wonderfull 101
Between that amazing main theme "The Won-Stoppable Wonderful 100" and the epic tracks the game has, it fits perfectly what the game what to transmit, absolute and fantastic craziness. It really hurts me leaving this out of the top 3 list.

Super Mario 3D World
Not as good as the Glaxies, but ha some amazing orchestrated soundtracks. You can't go wrong with Mario music when Nintendo decides to orchestrate it.

Top Bottom