• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Winter 2014 Anime |OT| I've got to find a dandy guy who killed my dad in the space

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hattori

Banned
Nobunagun 1

We'll that exceeded the hype I had for this show. It's a very solid first episode and the premise is quite interesting.

zeroshiki

I should've paid attention to the warning in the first post. But there's no more current anime so I thought "it can't be THAT bad"

And hey it seemed fine. Then the moe ghost angel appeared. Then the moaning. Then the censorship.

And I was all NOPE

You realize that you're selling a bunch of lurkers on the show with this, right?

duckroll

Space Battleship Yamato 2199

Finished watching this series the other day. Thoroughly enjoyed it. Well animated. Good mix of action and character progression. Decent characters at that. Only one thing irked me
Having the brother turn out to initially survive the conflict at Pluto and happen to crash land on the planetary destination of the Yamato then, in a round-about way (if I've understood it correctly), be the fuel behind the thing they've travelled all that way for?
That was all a little bit too tidy for my liking. But given the general high standard of everything else in the show compared to some of the other stuff I've been watching recently I can comfortably let that slide.

Those uniforms though. Vacuum packed.

Well, in the original series, when they got there they found that he was in fact still alive, and he opted to stay behind to make more space babies with the queen, so I think this is an improvement, as tidy as it is. Lol. I liked the bittersweet tone of how they got to reunite with Mamoru in spirit, but he still perished because of the war.

Yamato 2199 - 19

I don't get this emperor... it's like he doesn't care that his empire is filled with corruption.
This is weird , he doesn't seem like a man that is just enjoying his power to rule and in fact he seems quite intelligent.

I don't get why some of the issues in his empire are there , even if there should have been issues , since they are assimilating countless worlds as second class citizens but those issues aren't even that big , aside from the racial abuse that is to be expected in a situation like this.

What the heck is the emperor thinking ?

Desler is intelligent but he's not very rational. His desire for conquest is not exactly guided by logic and pure ambition, as you will discover later. So it's not surprising that he lets a lot of things in the empire slide while trying to expand it. It's a bit simplistic, but I think understandable, by the end of the show.

dimb

Bjergsen is the greatest midlane in the world
best bumps of last year
vlZdXWV.jpg

Pancakes

hot, steaming, as melted butter slips into the cracks, drizzled with sticky sweet syrup OH GOD
Well, in the original series, when they got there they found that he was in fact still alive, and he opted to stay behind to make more space babies with the queen, so I think this is an improvement, as tidy as it is. Lol. I liked the bittersweet tone of how they got to reunite with Mamoru in spirit, but he still perished because of the war.

I thought something was off when Starsha held her stomach during the last few moments we saw her. At least he's still making space babies in spirit. Just like the boss he is.

She's the only girl that actually makes me want to root for a normal relationship between her and Gintoki.

Usually its some BL with Hijikata.

Huh. I knew Tsukuyo was popular among the fanbase, didn't know she was secretly best girl as well. And yeah her relationship with Gintoki is the best one among the rest of the girls.

But we all know Gori-chan is the best love interest.

_Ryo_

The secret AnimeGAF rulers hate it.

Its one of my most anticipated, even with some of the questionable character redesigns.

I honestly know nothing about it other than it's name and the plot short season synopsis. Haven't really seen any images...

Huh. I knew Tsukuyo was popular among the fanbase, didn't know she was secretly best girl as well. And yeah her relationship with Gintoki is the best one among the rest of the girls.

Actually, Tsukiyo was voted one of the least liked females by females in some random anime poll some time back.

Mostly because she had actual chemistry with Gintoki and was in their way of their Gintoki and Hijikata doujins.

Actually, Tsukiyo was voted one of the least liked females by females in some random anime poll some time back.

Mostly because she had actual chemistry with Gintoki and was in their way of their Gintoki and Hijikata doujins.

True. But I at least remember her being the most popular ranking-wise in the popularity ranking episodes (outside of Kagura). Man those were hilarious.

As to Hijikata, I'm not surprised there's BL fantasies.

Desler is intelligent but he's not very rational. His desire for conquest is not exactly guided by logic and pure ambition, as you will discover later. So it's not surprising that he lets a lot of things in the empire slide while trying to expand it. It's a bit simplistic, but I think understandable, by the end of the show.
I hope i'll be satisfied by what is in store for later .

Sigh if non human character count , then the best is obviously elisabeth !

Saikin , Imouto no Yousu ga Chotto Okashiinda ga - 01

Waouh

what's this ?

WHAT WAS THIS ?

WHAT

WHATT

The last part of the episode was something else ..i think i found my guilyt pleasure of this season.
They are not even gonna explain this.
At least nobody will complain , because there is a chastity belt in place !

Pancakes

hot, steaming, as melted butter slips into the cracks, drizzled with sticky sweet syrup OH GOD
Saikin , Imouto no Yousu ga Chotto Okashiinda ga - 01

Waouh

what's this ?

WHAT WAS THIS ?

WHAT

WHATT

The last part of the episode was something else ..i think i found my guilyt pleasure of this season.
They are not even gonna explain this.
At least nobody will complain , because there is a chastity belt in place !

You see what you guys have started?

Mature

Nobunagun - 1
Contender for worst soundtrack in an anime. Seriously, I usually don't even notice or remember bad soundtracks at worst— this one was notably awful throughout. Everything else was fine, not really enough to keep me interested in seeing another episode though.

Nobunaga The Fool - 1
Hahaha. Naaah. I'm good. You have fun, Kawamori.

Witch Craft Works - 1
I expected worse, honestly. Still just bordering on mediocre. I think if the premise grabbed me more, I would be down to watch.

Noragami - 1
Hey, this was pretty slick. One great BONES show is a miracle these days, but potentially two in the same season? Who would have thought. It's got my attention and I'll be back next week.

The Pilot's Love Song - 1
I had no idea what this was going in and I think it boosted my opinion of it. It felt appropriately paced and competently directed. The CG didn't feel offensive and the hand drawn visuals even had a bit of charisma to them. I'll watch the next episode, I just hope that the setting and plot isn't lost in the love story.

Buddy Complex Episode 1 : Encounter

Turned out to be as good as I hoped for. At times felt like a Gundam series (one of the characters looks sort of like Natarle from Seed even) while other times felt like it can stand well on its own. The Opening song Unisonia by True and the ending song Ano Sora ni Kaeru Mirai de by Choucho are perfect matches with good animations.

Aoba is a nice lead for this reading and willing to take action and performing miraculous and impossible deeds like dodging hits and flipping over and somehow never losing control of the bicycle even in treacherous terrain, not to mention outrunning and dodging hits as well when he was on foot. He sounds like Arata from Arata The Legend to me, so thinking of that role then its easy to see why he's likable.

Music was a highlight with the person sounding like they did Horizon in the Middle of Nowhere musics, theres that characteristic horn they like to throw into the actiony songs and it was present here in one of the scenes concluding the chase scenes, while the entire chase was enhanced greatly with all musics featured.

All in all Buddycom is at the top of my list for best show this season thus far. If it can truly tell a great story in 13 episodes then it will definitely be a highlight mecha this year and raise the bar extremely high for Fafner, which I expect will no doubt reach and exceed it.

Gazoinks

Nobunagun - 1
Contender for worst soundtrack in an anime. Seriously, I usually don't even notice or remember bad soundtracks at worst— this one was notably awful throughout. Everything else was fine, not really enough to keep me interested in seeing another episode though.

I don't really remember most of the OST, but by god was the ED awful.

duckroll

Pilot's Love Song - Episode 1

This show is noteworthy simply because there aren't many shows like this. It's a period euro-fantasy setting with airships and a giant floating island, and the characters are pilot trainees who are part of an expedition to supposedly discover the "End of the Sky" which is referenced in a creationist myth passed down in the region. The opening pre-title sequence suggests that eventually a war breaks out, and people die, and the events in the episode and the title of the show suggests the story centers around the love story which develops between the main character and the noble girl he encounters.

Overall I'll say the good things about the show so far is the leisurely pace and the attractive setting. The writing seems kinda serviceable, even if the romance and relationships feel a bit hamfisted. It seems like a pretty predictable sort of pseudo-historical tale with fairy tale elements. If it doesn't get dumb, it should be relatively enjoyable to watch even if it's not particularly outstanding.

The CG for the planes is pretty good though. Probably the best I've seen outside of Sky Crawlers. Nice momentum, good texturing and shading, and nice 2D effects for some of the smoke/explosions/water stuff.

On another note, I think Valvrave has ruined my brain because I couldn't help not seeing...

SRF8knp.jpg

Blitzendegen?!

9HbxQni.jpg
7RJRXyt.jpg

Hi L-Elf!

Mature

I don't really remember most of the OST, but by god was the ED awful.
Listening back again, it may not just be that I didn't like the music, but the sound direction in general. The really generic synthy music is really quiet while things are exploding and its supposed to be high octane action. It just didn't work at all on that level.

Hattori

Banned
Tonari no Seki-kun 1
Production values are not its strongest point but it was very entertaining. Awesome ending theme as well.

Non Non Biyori 12

Wow, I was hoping they would have interacted at least once early on but I wasn't honestly expecting it to happen. Thrilled that it did and the meeting between the two did not disappoint in the slightest.

Short and sweet praise for a show that manage to best all the others. The characters were great (Hotaru, Renge, Nii-chan, and Candy Store were my standout four), the scenery was very beautiful, the flute music was nice, and the relaxing atmosphere mixed well with the absolutely heartwarming moments and some genuinely good comedy.

Only bad thing I will say is that I still think the first episode is really lackluster and a poor start for the series. Really glad the show picked up significantly from the 2nd episode on after Hotaru went full on yuri mode for her Koma-senpai.

9/10 Excellent. Like I said in the AOTY thread, this is Fall's best show.

Yamato 2199 - 20

What an episode.

So many events , what a battle ! I have nothing but praise for this episode but i can't find the right words , except ...."magnificent" , maybe ?

This show is noteworthy simply because there aren't many shows like this. It's a period euro-fantasy setting with airships and a giant floating island, and the characters are pilot trainees who are part of an expedition to supposedly discover the "End of the Sky" which is referenced in a creationist myth passed down in the region.

Sounds a bit similar to Last Exile. I'll check it out.

SDBurton

World's #1 Cosmonaut Enthusiast
Wanna be the Strongest in the World - 09-12 [END]

Is it wrong that I want a season 2 of this? The last 2 episodes were actually pretty legit and now that
Elena has joined Sakura in wrestling I would kill to have them participate as a tag team duo on the world stage.

Branduil

Space Battleship Yamato 2199 - 8

i7tmXNqLczU7.jpg
ipPSuu4KKdBgF.jpg

I'm sure that mural will have some meaning at some point.

I LOL'd when Desler had
literal pit traps in his throne room to kill people who displease him. RIP Schultz.

Is it wrong that I want a season 2 of this? The last 2 episodes were actually pretty legit and now that
Elena has joined Sakura in wrestling I would kill to have them participate as a tag team duo on the world stage.

It actually turned out to be a pretty decent show once you got past all the moaning and blatant crotch-shots in the first few episodes.

madp

The Light of El Cantare
Space Battleship Yamato 2199 - 8

I LOL'd when Desler had
literal pit traps in his throne room to kill people who displease him. RIP Schultz.

Who knew that Ghale Desler was actually Garmillan for
Hail Ilpalazzo
?

Mature

Space Battleship Yamato 2199 - 4
Ah... That one tugged at the heart strings a bit. Can't believe how quickly I've grown attached to some of this crew.

Geneijin

Wanna be the Strongest in the World - 09-12 [END]

So Tekken Tag Tournament 2?

The upcoming US release isn't -that- bad. If they actually manage to get Amazon and TRSI to carry it as well, there might be discounts in future too. Fingers crossed?

Yeah, I saw that they're talking to TRSI about it, so hopefully they can hammer something out. It's definitely an anime I want to own, just not at Aniplex-style pricing.

fertygo

Welp that's gamechanger for me, maybe the ending not gonna annoy me again in rewatch.

Still, fuck Kodai.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
Just received 3 messages from gintama fans telling me that "ALL GIRLS are BEST girls , except catherine ".
Still better than Otae!

Kagura is best girl, don't hate the truth.
She doesn't count. :(

Wolf Children

And they have the best mother in the world.

That is all.
But it's completely unrealistic. Also, if you aren't a mom, why would you make a movie about being a single mother?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom