• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Official Feb. 12th Primary Thread (Obama/McCain Beltway SWEEP SWEEP)

Status
Not open for further replies.

harSon

Banned
Cheebs said:
Does anyone know why the hell he was punching a punching bag on ellen? That one shot sent me over the edge in its randomness

Because he's mother fucking Barack Obama.

Actually, the punching bag was near the entrance so he punched it.

StoOgE

First tragedy, then farce.
Cheebs said:
Does anyone know why the hell he was punching a punching bag on ellen? That one shot sent me over the edge in its randomness

Its like when Conan punched the camel. You dont question it, its just awesome.

pxleyes

Banned
Rur0ni said:
Virginia Polling
SurveyUSA 2/11/08
Democrats:
60% Obama
38% Clinton

02% Other
01% Undecided

Republicans:
48% McCain
37% Huckabee
07% Paul
06% Other
02% Undecided

---

Added republican data also, to the OP. Huckster gaining ground, from 25% to 37%.

In Lefty We Trust.
Holy shit if that comes true! Keep on rolling.

Rur0ni

PD, that Ross mix is so hot shit with the CNN charts in the background, plus the reporters speaking. Has some sort of, yum about it. Then the beat drops on the punching bag hit. :lol

mrmyth

siamesedreamer said:
Anyone see Hillary replaced her campaign manager?

The replacement, Maggie Williams, was the one who cleaned out Vince Foster's office after his "suicide".

Local Chicago news station played up the fact that she dropped the Mexican woman for the black woman. Black male anchor was heard to quip "So now she'll get 20% of the black vote instead of 19."

grandjedi6

Master of the Google Search
With Democrats Barack Obama and Hillary Clinton locked in a delegate-by-delegate battle, there are many scenarios developing for how the party's presidential nomination will be decided

Here is one that just a few weeks ago was unfathomable: It could all come down to the preference of Jason Rae, a Marquette University student who has never even voted in a presidential election.

Or Melissa Schroeder, a party activist from Wausau.

Or Awais Khaleel, a student at the University of Wisconsin-Madison.

The three, all members of the Democratic National Committee, are among 796 "super delegates," a bloc of political free agents who will make up nearly 20% of all the voting delegates at the party's August convention
. More than half of them have endorsed candidates, but many have yet to decide.

Most delegates are allocated based on the results of primaries and caucuses.

But after Super Tuesday's coast-to-coast voting left Clinton and Obama effectively tied when it comes to winning delegates at the polls, the intense focus is on wooing super delegates in person.

Party rules state that Democratic governors, Democratic members of Congress and the Senate, and all members of the DNC are super delegates. A small number of others are chosen at state party conventions.

Super delegates can vote for whomever they choose, and they are not required to vote for a candidate they may endorse.

Some DNC members, such as Rae, are still a bit surprised when folks like former President Bill Clinton and 2004 nominee John Kerry call to chat.

Bill called last Friday, just as Rae was headed to dinner with friends, hoping he'd back Hillary. When John called, suggesting Obama, Rae was driving to the grocery store with a friend.

"I said, 'Hi, Senator Kerry, how are you?' " said Rae, noting his friend "looked at me, like, 'Are you for real?' "

Yes. And for real when former (and possibly future) first daughter Chelsea called. And former Secretary of State Madeline Albright. Both were backing Clinton.

"It's not a huge deal on campus," said Rae, active in student government. "I'm just a normal student like everyone else. In my private life, I'm a super delegate."

At this point in the race, Rae and the others might want to order blue shirts with a red-and-yellow "S" on the front. Red capes, too.

For if the race remains as tight as it is, they might have to rescue a candidate - and a deadlocked party.

"They might be the margin of victory, if the two candidates go down to the wire," said Mordecai Lee, a professor of governmental affairs at the University of Wisconsin-Milwaukee. "A hundred super delegates might be the deciding factor."

Or just one.

Rae, for his part, says he has not decided whom to endorse, or whether he will endorse at all. In fact, he's not sure whom he'll vote for Feb. 19.

"It's intensified since Super Tuesday," said Schroeder, the Wausau activist. "I can't tell you the number of calls."

And dozens and dozens of e-mails, many from other party activists. Hillary is the choice. No, Barack. No, Hillary.

Schroeder had a nice chat with Chelsea Clinton, reminiscing about Hillary Clinton's visit to Wausau in the early 1990s.

"Initially, I thought it was a robo-call," Schroeder said. "She was a very well-spoken young woman."

But, Chelsea Clinton got no commitment.

Schroeder said she decided early on to not endorse and figured by the time Super Tuesday had passed, there would be a clear nominee.

http://www.jsonline.com/story/index.aspx?id=716581

I trust my fellow Wisconsin college students will do the right thing. Does anyone go to Marquette or Wisconsin Madison? Me thinks those 3 need to be taken out for a beer or two :lol

Sully forgot his gloves at home this morning:

The "Ohio and Texas" Myth
11 Feb 2008 12:57 pm

Why is the media buying the Clinton spin that these two states are somehow the most pertinent? Chait:

"The states that Obama won over the weekend had a total of 185 pledged delegates. Tomorrow's primary states have 168. That's a total of 353 delegates. Ohio and Texas, meanwhile, combine for 224 delegates. (That's my back of the envelope calculation from the numbers at wikipedia.)

And Obama won enormous blowout victories over the weekend, and is up by double digits Tuesday. So even if Clinton wins Texas and Ohio, it will be impossible for her to make up just the delegate advantage Obama has won and should win over these few days."

She needs to start thinking about conceding.
Permalink :: TrackBacks (0)

He's Now Ahead
11 Feb 2008 12:36 pm

Even counting the Clinton machine's super-delegates. He's winning it the old-fashioned way - state by state, argument by argument, debate by debate. Clinton should consider stepping aside if tomorrow's votes go the same way. If she couldn't put this thing away by now - with all her party clout, all her chits, all her husband's pull, all her big donors, and all her brand-name recognition - she's not going to do it in the end. All she will do is put her own party through an ordeal it need not experience. But I guess the Clintons have done that before, haven't they?

Don't...don't, don't...don't believe the hype.

Huuuuuuoooooaaahhh

Cooter

Lacks the power of instantaneous movement
My 77 year-old grandpa just hates Obama. "I don't understand what people see in him. He's just like Carter. He'll be one of the worst presidents if he get's elected." Obama said on the 60 Minutes interview that he plays basketball and I told him, " that's it, I didn't know he played basketball too. I've always wanted a president that plays basketball. I'm voting for him now."

He got so pissed my grandma had to tell him to shut up and drop it. It's fun fucking with him sometimes.

Tamanon

Banned
Wait, WTF? There are COLLEGE STUDENTS that are Superdelegates?

I just don't even understand that process anymore.:lol

RubxQub

φίλω ἐξεχέγλουτον καί ψευδολόγον οὖκ εἰπόν
Cheebs said:
He's black, of course he can dance.
She's a woman, of course she can cook me dinner.

I don't like these kinds of sayings... just making a point.

Tamanon said:
Are we sure he's black? He sure seems to smile a lot in photos.

Hey I'm one of those smiling black guys too. We exist :lol

With Obama's help I have no doubt the smiling brotha will come back into the limelight.

Cheebs

As said before Edwards met with Hillary on thursday and was going to meet with Obama today. But today Edwards decided to cancel his meeting with Obama.

Take that as you will.

harSon

Banned
BenjaminBirdie said:
Sully forgot his gloves at home this morning:

Don't...don't, don't...don't believe the hype.

Huuuuuuoooooaaahhh

Doesn't Texas and Ohio have a lot more then that combined? From what I've seen it's 389 including super delegates... Are there really that many super delegates between the two?

Cheebs said:
As said before Edwards met with Hillary on thursday and was going to meet with Obama today. But today Edwards decided to cancel his meeting with Obama.

Take that as you will.

If Edwards fucks this up I'm going to be pretty fucking pissed.

Rur0ni

021108DailyUpdateGraph1.gif

New Gallup. Sure it may not mean everything, considering such a large portion of the country has voted.

Edit: It looks like a snake. Mark of the beast! Kill them both with fire!

Kildace

Cheebs said:

Take that as you will.

Ugh. I'd be so disappointed in Edwards endorsing Hillary. I always had a high opinion of him but if he went along with her and not Obama it would only be because she promised him a position in her administration and he didn't. That might take the spotlight off Obama's wins too.

Politics suck.

Why couldn't it be? And I don't think an Edwards endorsement this late really helps either candidate. His supporters have seemed to have made up their mind.

Sharp

Cheebs said:

Take that as you will.
Uh-oh. Think Hillary offered him VP? Hopefully he won't end up endorsing her, or if he does it won't affect much, but this is a pretty critical time and outside of a scandal or a really crazy upset victory would be just about the only thing that could possibly turn around Obama's momentum at this juncture.

grandjedi6

Tamanon said:
Wait, WTF? There are COLLEGE STUDENTS that are Superdelegates?

I just don't even understand that process anymore.:lol

The Leaders of College Democrats of America are considered DNC leaders and get superdelegate powers. Also Jason Rue is crazy

Cheebs said:

Take that as you will.

If Edwards endorses Hilary then I suppose we know all we need to know because his campaign, when he was running, was pretty much a movement against everything he says Hilary Clinton stands for and many times said she wasn't an agent for change only he and Obama was.

So if he goes and endorses her over Obama then he's only contradicting his own campaign message.

An Edwards endorsement to Hilary wouldn't affect much at all. An Edwards endorsement to Obama would be potentially devastating for Hilary. If he truly wants his Endorsement to have the biggest impact then he should go with Obama. Even the union that supported him has gone with Obama so he's going against his own supporters pretty much.

Kildace

Incognito said:
Why couldn't it be? And I don't think an Edwards endorsement this late really helps either candidate. His supporters have seemed to have made up their mind.

It helps because instead of talking about Hillary's failing campaign and Obama's 10/0 win record, the media will talk for a couple of days about Edwards endorsing Hillary.

Edit: http://firstread.msnbc.msn.com/archive/2008/02/11/655480.aspx

When asked about the AP report that Obama and Edwards meeting is not happening today, the Obama campaign told us to talk to the Edwards camp. However, when pressed, they said it wouldn't be inaccurate to report that the meeting will not happen today or tomorrow.

A source close to Edwards confirms that the meeting has been canceled. But the source doesn’t know the reason behind it; it could be something as simple as a scheduling conflict.

I don't think it would make much of a difference either, but it's really disappointing. I'd love to hear his rationale.

CowboyAstronaut said:
If Edwards endorses Hilary then I suppose we know all we need to know because his campaign, when he was running, was pretty much a movement against everything he says Hilary Clinton stands for and many times said she wasn't an agent for change only he and Obama was.

So if he goes and endorses her over Obama then he's only contradicting his own campaign message.

This.

Sharp

Edwards is a politician, so of course I don't expect him to remain consistent with his failed campaign. Doesn't stop it from being incredibly disappointing. What surprises me is that, if he actually canceled his meeting with Obama, it means he feels that nothing Obama could say could possibly change his decision, which is a little bizarre and almost makes me believe that he decided against endorsement based on his discussion with Hillary.

Edit:, Wait, it's being rescheduled? Hm. Actually, the original article doesn't seem to say it couldn't be a scheduling conflict anyway.

Sharp said:
Edwards is a politician, so of course I don't expect him to remain consistent with his failed campaign. Doesn't stop it from being incredibly disappointing. What surprises me is that, if he actually canceled his meeting with Obama, it means he feels that nothing Obama could say could possibly change his decision, which is a little bizarre and almost makes me believe that he decided against endorsement based on his discussion with Hillary.

Edit:, Wait, it's being rescheduled? Hm. Actually, the original article doesn't seem to say it couldn't be a scheduling conflict anyway. Oh, Cheebs, you crazy cat.

I just imagine a wordless meeting. Hillary removes a manila envelope from her briefcase and hands it to Edwards. The word "Obama" can be seen written on the back. Edwards opens the envelope and looks at what is clearly a photo, which we can not see.

LOST.

Kildace

MSNBC said:
they said it wouldn't be inaccurate to report that the meeting will not happen today or tomorrow.

Triple negatives hurt my brain but I read that as "It would be accurate to report that the meeting will not happen today or tomorow." which goes against the rescheduling theory.

RubxQub

φίλω ἐξεχέγλουτον καί ψευδολόγον οὖκ εἰπόν
siamesedreamer said:
What the fuck...

How credible are these claims? I don't remember hearing about any of this shit...but it's pretty damn intense.

GhaleonEB

BenjaminBirdie said:
I really don't think Edwards holds much sway.

Rur0ni said:
021108DailyUpdateGraph1.gif

New Gallup. Sure it may not mean everything, considering such a large portion of the country has voted.

Edit: It looks like a snake. Mark of the beast! Kill them both with fire!
The streams are about to cross. Nice knowing you guys.

Tamanon said:
If anything, I'd say Edwards might not endorse someone until the race is all but decided.

Obama's Machine:

"Hey, Bams. It's Eddie. Listen, don't bother stopping by. I'll just see you on stage in Virginnie tonight. PAYCE!"

WASHINGTON -- Republican presidential candidate Mike Huckabee cried foul Sunday after John McCain's apparent victory in the Washington state caucuses Saturday.

Huckabee's campaign released a statement saying that it will be exploring all available legal options regarding the "dubious final results." Arizona Sen. McCain was announced as the victor in the caucuses. Sunday, he had 25 percent of the vote; Huckabee had 23.8 percent.

Huckabee's campaign chairman, Ed Rollins, said Luke Esser, Washington state's Republican Party chairman, chose to call the race too quickly for McCain.

Rollins said Huckabee was losing by 242 votes with 87 percent of the vote counted. He said there were 1,500 or so more votes that were apparently not counted.

"That is an outrage," Rollins said.

Rollins said the Huckabee campaign's lawyers will be on the ground in Washington soon to see why the count took so long, and why the vote-counting was stopped prematurely.

http://seattlepi.nwsource.com/national/350829_trail11.html?source=mypi

I agree. You dont call a race thats so close until the counting is done. And why did they stop at 87%?

Mandark

Small balls, big fun!
This one's for Hitokage, who knows which side of the Dean/Carville feud he's on.

Obama said:
I think it is very hard for Senator Clinton to break out of the politics of the last 15 years and that politics is basically a politics where 47% of the country is on one side, 47% is on the other. You got 5% in the middle, they all live in Florida and Ohio apparently And so you battle it out and you never actually—even if you win—don’t have, you don't have a working majority for change.

Keep in mind we had Bill Clinton as president when in '94 we lost the house, we lost the senate, we lost governorships, we lost state houses. And so regardless of what policies they wanted to promote, they didn't have a working majority to bring change about.

From an ABC news story, quoting Obama's speech in Alexandria. I think he's used the "governing majority" bit before.

grandjedi6

jamesinclair said:
WASHINGTON -- Republican presidential candidate Mike Huckabee cried foul Sunday after John McCain's apparent victory in the Washington state caucuses Saturday.

Huckabee's campaign released a statement saying that it will be exploring all available legal options regarding the "dubious final results." Arizona Sen. McCain was announced as the victor in the caucuses. Sunday, he had 25 percent of the vote; Huckabee had 23.8 percent.

Huckabee's campaign chairman, Ed Rollins, said Luke Esser, Washington state's Republican Party chairman, chose to call the race too quickly for McCain.

Rollins said Huckabee was losing by 242 votes with 87 percent of the vote counted. He said there were 1,500 or so more votes that were apparently not counted.

Rollins said the Huckabee campaign's lawyers will be on the ground in Washington soon to see why the count took so long, and why the vote-counting was stopped prematurely.

I agree. You dont call a race thats so close until the counting is done. And why did they stop at 87%?

Combination of the vote tallying not being done yet and the media not caring enough to report the results anymore.

And Huckabee is just trying to pick a fight now. Neither him or McCain are going to get any delegates out of this

EDIT: anyway, here is the current results of the Republican race in Washington: http://wsrp.org/News/Read.aspx?ID=7042 They are counting them slowly now though since no one cares about it anymore

jamesinclair said:

This is a hilarious story of GOP bigwigs shutting down the machine in order to preserve a McCain victory. "87% in? Call it for McCain!"

:lol

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom