• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PAL Charts - Week 6, 2008

WrikaWrek said:
They will probably wait for the bundle sales to make it seem more impressive. Like they did with Motorstorm and Resistance.
Resistance sold 1M before the bundles and it's over 2M now.

No idea about Motorstorm though.

Fredescu

_Alkaline_ said:
Those 3 bolded are the only ones I would classify as 'shovelware', and Jet Race is actually a decent effort (though shovelware for a Nintendo game). I guess you could classify Wii Play as shovelware, but still, most of those games are at the very least solid.
I don't think any of them are shovelware. The darts minigame in Monkey Ball controlled quite well though, so if they did at least that well and fleshed it out a bit then it might be a decent game for the darts fans at least, of which the UK has quite a few. Carnival Games might not be a core title, but that doesn't make it shovelware. Don't know about Jet Race though to be honest.

I think the word shovelware gets thrown around way too much. Some people use it to simply describe games they don't like. It should be reserved for games with clearly little effort aimed at those who buy on the strength of box art alone, such as Ninjabread Man and its ilk. Horsez is not shovelware.

Fredescu said:
I don't think any of them are shovelware. The darts minigame in Monkey Ball controlled quite well though, so if they did at least that well and fleshed it out a bit then it might be a decent game for the darts fans at least, of which the UK has quite a few. Carnival Games might not be a core title, but that doesn't make it shovelware. Don't know about Jet Race though to be honest.

I think the word shovelware gets thrown around way too much. Some people use it to simply describe games they don't like. It should be reserved for games with clearly little effort aimed at those who buy on the strength of box art alone, such as Ninjabread Man and its ilk. Horsez is not shovelware.

I guess.

I wouldn't expect much from that darts game though. I can't even find a review for it.

Wollan

The bundles effect is highly overrated. Released from mid-July to September (with the bundles also being different from country to country). Resistance had sold over 700k before it released in Europe and it did between 500-600k there before the bundles released (MotorStorm was shoulder to shoulder with it).

spwolf

_Alkaline_ said:
Yup. Let's take a look at the Wii games on the UK list.

03 (01) [WII] Wii Play (Nintendo)
05 (__) [WII] Pdc World Championship Darts 08 (Oxygen Interactive)
13 (10) [WII] Carnival: Funfair Games (Take 2)

14 (04) [WII] Mario & Sonic At The Olympic Games (Sega)
19 (11) [WII] Super Mario Galaxy (Nintendo)
23 (08) [WII] Donkey Kong: Jet Race (Nintendo)
25 (14) [WII] Sonic And The Secret Rings (Sega)
30 (17) [WII] Big Brain Academy: Wii Degree (Nintendo)
33 (__) [WII] Medal Of Honor: Heroes 2 (Electronic Arts)
35 (15) [WII] Ghost Squad (Sega)
36 (19) [WII] Mario Strikers Charged Football (Nintendo)
39 (22) [WII] Mario Party 8 (Nintendo)
40 (30) [WII] Lego Star Wars: The Complete Saga (Lucasarts)

Those 3 bolded are the only ones I would classify as 'shovelware', and Jet Race is actually a decent effort (though shovelware for a Nintendo game). I guess you could classify Wii Play as shovelware, but still, most of those games are at the very least solid.

Best way to check for discounted games is to check revenue charts.

Top 10 by revenue generated:
- 4 PS3
- 4 360
- 1 Wii
- 1 DS

I know. I know. Kill the messenger.

I wouldn't expect much from that darts game though. I can't even find a review for it.

I read a review on Gamecentral (tv text service) Said it controlled very well, players had a good likeness to real counterparts but marked it down because its cheaper/easier to buy a dartboard than a game.

ibu

JunoTaksumi said:
I can understand a £5 difference but I went into Gamestation on Friday and the difference between the normal versions was £15! Ridiculous.

probably shows which version of the game they were worried about selling more... I keep seeing more and more 360 games coming out ridiculously cheap, games companies think they can still bleed the early adopters (in this case ps3 atm) and it seems to be working. But it will come in line soon, when they realise which of the consoles will win of the two in the end.I own both, but ps3 will win in the end, I bet a ban on this.

nli10

spwolf said:

- 4 PS3
- 4 360
- 1 Wii
- 1 DS

I'm a big fan of pushing the Value chart but you go to far!

Wii Play & PDC darts are the only Wii top 10 games this week in any chart. Wii Play's retail value is clocked at around £10 for the value chart so it always charts real low. No way could Wii even hope to compete under your rules!

Even using the full value top 40 truncates the Wiis impact so why not use the full data we have available to get:

9 X360
9 PS3
7 DS
14 Wii
1 PC

Oh - hang on. I think I see why...

In truth though for discounted games compare the position in the Values charts to that in the units chart. Using the full data is the only real way - using the headline stats like the 2 examples above only distorts the picture.

When I hear shovelware I think of "Barbies Adventure" and "High School Musical". Games like Big Game Hunter or Darts might not be your Gaf taste and thus crap, I wouldn't call them shovelware. Ports like Ghost Squad or RE:4 are just that - ports, not shovelware.

C4Lukins

I am happy to see Burnout and Devil May Cry doing well across Europe. Good news for everyone, minus the console wankery.

TheBranca18 said:
I think people are just tired of seeing people call Uncharted a bomba. But yeah I see your point. There has to be a level of context associated with these sales numbers.
Well it has seen decent success in PAL land but it wasn't that succesful in the US and I think it performed according to expectations in Japan (bad). I don't know where that puts the title overall. Anyways calling it a bomba may be a bit harsh but is not as far fetched as other things I read at GAF so I think getting worked over it is a bit of an overreaction.

spwolf said:

- 4 PS3
- 4 360
- 1 Wii
- 1 DS

In the case of Wii, not really since a lot of games are budget on release (Carnival, WiiPlay, Ghost Squad) and are generally cheaper than games for PS3/360. Especially in the case of PS3 with their recent RRP for first party titles.

But we all know what you're trying to achieve. Please continue.

Lobster

Banned
:lol

Wii owners are fucking hungry and to fill up they bought a dart game.

Oxygen Interactive must be over the moon atm :lol

Frillen

- Spwolf spinning positive Wii sales into negative - Check
- Fanboys arguing about sales charts without any numbers - Check

A normal PAL Charts Thread week.

spwolf

nli10 said:
I'm a big fan of pushing the Value chart but you go to far!

Wii Play & PDC darts are the only Wii top 10 games this week in any chart. Wii Play's retail value is clocked at around £10 for the value chart so it always charts real low. No way could Wii even hope to compete under your rules!

Even using the full value top 40 truncates the Wiis impact so why not use the full data we have available to get:

9 X360
9 PS3
7 DS
14 Wii
1 PC

Oh - hang on. I think I see why...

In truth though for discounted games compare the position in the Values charts to that in the units chart. Using the full data is the only real way - using the headline stats like the 2 examples above only distorts the picture.

I am just saying - as I always did, that correlating sales to top 40 positions is stupid. In this particular cases, 9 Wii games are between 25th and 40th positions. Considering how top heavy game sales are, thats not really an great success.

And I was saying that when 360 and PS3 had more games in top 40 and when Wii had 5-6 only.

Raist

Banned
So it looks like SELL has finally lost its headstart for 2008.

87m2hiv.png

France :
Early top 5 - Week 4, 2008http://www.sell.fr/spip.php?article57

01 (__) [PS3] Burnout Paradise (Electronic Arts)
02 (01) [WII] Wii Play (Nintendo)
03 (02) [WII] Super Mario Galaxy (Nintendo)
04 (__) [360] Burnout Paradise (Electronic Arts)
05 (19) [NDS] New Super Mario Bros. (Nintendo)

Full charts for Week 4 will be available this saturday.

Raist said:
So it looks like SELL has finally lost its headstart for 2008.

87m2hiv.png

France :
Early top 5 - Week 4, 2008http://www.sell.fr/spip.php?article57

01 (__) [PS3] Burnout Paradise (Electronic Arts)
02 (01) [WII] Wii Play (Nintendo)
03 (02) [WII] Super Mario Galaxy (Nintendo)
04 (__) [360] Burnout Paradise (Electronic Arts)
05 (19) [NDS] New Super Mario Bros. (Nintendo)

Full charts for Week 4 will be available this saturday.

WOWzer :eek:

That I did not expect.

2zidg7c.png

Spain: January Charts
http://www.adese.es/web/top.asp

TOP 10
1 MAS BRAIN TRAINING (NDS)
2 BRAIN TRAINING DEL DR. KAWASHIMA (NDS)
3 PRO EVOLUTION SOCCER 2008 (PS2)
4 SUPER MARIO GALAXY (WII)
5 ASSASSIN'S CREED (PS3)
6 PRO EVOLUTION SOCCER 2008 (PS3)
7 IMAGINA SER MAMA (NDS)
8 BIG BRAIN ACADEMY (WII)
9 NEW SUPER MARIO BROS. (NDS)
10 WWE SMACKDOWN! VS. RAW 2008 (PS2)

NINTENDO DS
1 MAS BRAIN TRAINING
2 BRAIN TRAINING DEL DR. KAWASHIMA
3 IMAGINA SER MAMA
4 NEW SUPER MARIO BROS.
5 PRACTISE ENGLISH - INGLES PARA EL DIA A DIA
6 THE LEGEND OF ZELDA: PHANTOM HOURGLASS
7 MARIO PARTY DS
8 TRAINING FOR YOUR EYES
9 IMAGINA SER DISEÑADORA DE MODA
10 MI EXPERTO EN VOCABULARIO

PLAYSTATION 2
1 PRO EVOLUTION SOCCER 2008
2 WWE SMACKDOWN! VS. RAW 2008
3 SINGSTAR LATINO + 2 MICROFONOS
4 NEED FOR SPEED: PRO STREET
5 FIFA 08
6 LOS SIMPSON - EL VIDEOJUEGO
7 SINGSTAR LATINO
8 WWE SMACKDOWN! VS. RAW 2007 PLATINUM
9 LOS SIMS 2: NAUFRAGOS
10 DRAGON BALL Z: BUDOKAI TENKAICHI 3

NINTENDO WII
1 SUPER MARIO GALAXY
2 BIG BRAIN ACADEMY
3 WII PLAY
4 LINK'S CROSSBOW TRAINING + WII ZAPPER
5 RAYMAN RAVING RABBIDS 2
6 MARIO PARTY 8
7 RESIDENT EVIL: THE UMBRELLA CHRONICLES
8 THE LEGEND OF ZELDA: TWILIGHT PRINCESS
9 GUITAR HERO III: LEGENDS OF ROCK + GUITARRA
10 TRIIVIIAL

PLAYSTATION 3
1 ASSASSIN'S CREED
2 PRO EVOLUTION SOCCER 2008
3 UNCHARTED: EL TESORO DE DRAKE
4 CALL OF DUTY 4: MODERN WARFARE
5 NEED FOR SPEED: PRO STREET
6 FIFA 08
7 WWE SMACKDOWN! VS. RAW 2008
8 RATCHET & CLANK: ARMADOS HASTA LOS DIENTES
9 MEDAL OF HONOR: AIRBORNE
10 KANE & LYNCH: DEAD MEN

PLAYSTATION PORTABLE
1 FIFA 08
2 LOS SIMPSON - EL VIDEOJUEGO
3 TEKKEN: DARK RESURRECTION PLATINUM
4 LOS SIMS 2: NAUFRAGOS
5 WWE SMACKDOWN! VS. RAW 2008
6 GRAND THEFT AUTO: VICE CITY STORIES
7 WWE SMACKDOWN! VS. RAW 2007 PLATINUM
8 DAXTER PRECIO PLATINUM
9 MOTO GP PLATINUM
10 CRASH: LUCHA DE TITANES

XBOX 360
1 ASSASSIN'S CREED
2 CALL OF DUTY 4: MODERN WARFARE
3 HALO 3
4 PRO EVOLUTION SOCCER 2008
5 GUITAR HERO III: LEGENDS OF ROCK + GUITARRA
6 MASS EFFECT
7 NEED FOR SPEED: PRO STREET
8 PROJECT GOTHAM RACING 4
9 GEARS OF WAR
10 FIFA 08

GAMEBOY ADVANCE
NINTENDO GAMECUBE
PC
PC NON-GAMES
NGAGE

Wollan said:
What happened to Burnout? Out of stock?
Its for January, I suppose it covers (from Dec 31) until 27th January and thus it doesn't cover Burnout first week. It would have charted in the PS3 Top10 at least...

Germany (04.02.2008 - 10.02.2008)

Top10:
1 (1) Dr. Kawashima: Mehr Gehirn-Jogging (NDS)
2 (-) Mario & Sonic bei den Olympischen Spielen (NDS)
3 (-) Devil May Cry 4 (PS3)
4 (-) Mario Kart DS (NDS)
5 (-) Turok (PS3)
6 (-) Prof. Kageyamas Mathematik Training (NDS)
7 (-) Devil May Cry 4 - Collector's Edition (PS3)
8 (6) New Super Mario Bros. (NDS)
9 (10) Animal Crossing: Wild World (NDS)
10 (3) Super Mario Galaxy (Wii)

NINTENDO DS
1 (1) Dr. Kawashima: Mehr Gehirn-Jogging
2 (-) Mario & Sonic bei den Olympischen Spielen
3 (-) Mario Kart DS
4 (-) Prof. Kageyamas Mathematik Training
5 (4) New Super Mario Bros.
6 (8) Animal Crossing: Wild World
7 (5) Practice English! Meistern Sie typische Alltagssituationen!
8 (3) Augen-Training
9 (9) The Legend of Zelda: Phantom Hourglass
10 (2) Pokémon Diamond Edition

NINTENDO WII
1 (1) Super Mario Galaxy
2 (3) Mario & Sonic bei den Olympischen Spielen
3 (5) Link's Crossbow Training
4 (6) Mario Party 8
5 (2) RTL Winter Sports 2008 - The Ultimate Challenge
6 (7) The Legend of Zelda: Twilight Princess
7 (8) Big Brain Academy
8 (-) Need for Speed: ProStreet
9 (-) Pokémon Battle Revolution
10 (10) Zack & Wiki: Der Schatz von Barbaros

PLAYSTATION 3
1 (-) Devil May Cry 4
2 (-) Turok
3 (-) Devil May Cry 4 - Collector's Edition
4 (1) Burnout Paradise
5 (4) Call of Duty 4: Modern Warfare
6 (6) Assassin's Creed
7 (2) Uncharted: Drakes Schicksal
8 (6) FIFA 08
9 (-) Conflict: Denied Ops
10 (7) Need for Speed: ProStreet

XBOX 360
1 (-) Devil May Cry 4
2 (-) Turok
3 (-) Devil May Cry 4 - Collector's Edition
4 (1) Burnout Paradise
5 (2) Assassin's Creed
6 (3) Call of Duty 4: Modern Warfare
7 (4) Kingdom under Fire: Circle of Doom
8 (5) Halo 3
9 (7) FIFA 08
10 (6) Mass Effect

iceatcs

Pretty much that Burnout PS3 looks outsold 360 version in Europe.

Now wait for few weeks to see if DMC4 can do for PS3 again. Damn I wish we have the numbers so that we can see how 2 DMC4 versions doing most in the world.

[edit] And WOW for PS3 softwares on top ten Germany.

iceatcs

Lightning said:
But the cheaper 360 version isn't even charting in the top 10 in Germany? :lol

If it was money hat from MS to make it cheaper, then it would really huge embarrassment for MS.

Or is it cost of production is different between DVD and Blu-ray disc?

CubeRevolution said:
Germany (04.02.2008 - 10.02.2008)...
Thanks. I would've expected M&S at the first spot - Dr. Kawashima can't be beat it seems. Good entry for both DMC and Turok - though I guess the latter won't have legs.

DMPrince said:
Go Germans. push both those DMC4! Make it top 3 next week <3
Oh god no. Who buys these stupid C.E.'s anyways? I wouldn't mind having the regular sit at No. 1 and the C.E. nowhere in sight.

reminder said:
Wow, even the DMC4 CE for PS3 sold better than the regular 360 version here in germany. :D
Pretty much expected, no?

Lightning said:
So much for Microsoft's advertising DMC4 in Germany. :lol :lol :lol
They did? Haven't seen any ads.

Lightning

Banned
iceatcs said:
If it was money hat from MS to make it cheaper, then it would really huge embarrassment for MS.

Or is it cost of production is different between DVD and Blu-ray disc?
Don't know. Either way, still a huge embarrasment for the 360. Larger userbase, cheaper game, still not selling despite being advertised only for the 360. I lol'd. :lol

Kandrick

GAF's Ed McMahon
Lightning said:
Don't know. Either way, still a huge embarrasment for the 360. Larger userbase, cheaper game, still not selling despite being advertised only for the 360. I lol'd. :lol

Im loling at you :lol

For most of fans of DMC, DMC = playstation brand. Just read the whole dmc thread on gaf, where they go about the dual shock is the only possible controller to play DMC on etc...

Same for PES, and GTA, they are "playstation" games for a lot of people here.

iceatcs

Lightning said:

Yeah pretty much explain why Capcon reject the rumor for RE5 360 exclusive.

reminder

Phife Dawg said:
Pretty much expected, no?

Well, i never expect the CE of a game to outsell the regular version, especially with the larger hardware base of the 360.

Phife Dawg said:
They did? Haven't seen any ads.

Yep, i've seen many ads for DMC4 lately. Always showing the 360 version only at the end.

pswii60

Lightning said:

360 is pretty much dead in Germany. We already know this.

Lightning said:
How so? 360 is dead in the water here. There were a couple of posters telling that on numerous occasions now.

reminder said:
Well, i never expect the CE of a game to outsell the regular version, especially with the larger hardware base of the 360.

Yep, i've seen many ads for DMC4 lately. Always showing the 360 version only at the end.
C.E.s sadly have made a regular appearance on the charts. With Math Training and M&S launching I didn't expect the 360 version to appear in the Top10. It may have a larger install base but even before the huge price drop and the big christmas sales 360 games rarely made an appearance on the charts and if they did quickly left.

Strange, haven't seen any - maybe over the weekend.

Lightning

Banned
Phife Dawg said:
How so? 360 is dead in the water here. There were a couple of posters telling that on numerous occasions now.
Oh c-mon, Microsoft trying so hard and just like Japan, Germany don't bite. It is funny. :lol

sakuragi

Banned
Lightning said:

Thats really got to hurt. What more could Microsoft do to win the Germans? Oh and add cheaper system :p

sakuragi

Banned
Psychotext said:
Stop having so many of their games on the PC too. It hurts them a LOT in Germany.

Isn't the PC Microsoft first priority though? Why would they do that and stop one of their cash cows only to divert them to the consoles?

sakuragi said:
Isn't the PC Microsoft first priority though? Why would they do that and stop one of their cash cows only to divert them to the consoles?
I imagine it's something they have to struggle with in the department a lot.

spwolf

pswii60 said:
360 is pretty much dead in Germany. We already know this.

I think PS3 only barely outsold it by now... that means that 360 owners are not using their systems anymore.

And BTW, difference in continental Europe was 8 Euro, instead of 10 GBP... so like half less of the difference.

PC charts for Germany:

1) Call of Duty 4
2) World of Warcraft
3) WoW: Burning Crusade
4) Counter Strike Source
5) Crysis
6) NfS: Most Wanted (yeah... wtf?)
7) SW Battlefront 2
8) The Sims Island Stories (don't know the real english name of that one?)
9) Counter Strike 1 Anthologies
10) The Witcher

Lightning said:
Oh c-mon, Microsoft trying so hard and just like Japan, Germany don't bite. It is funny. :lol
I don't see the fun really. Just like Uncharted's huge ad campaign doing nothing for the game's sales - equally funny? Don't remember you laughing at that :D . MS dropping the price 100€ during the PS3 launch without anything significant happening wasn't funny either - more like a tragedy.

Psychotext said:
Stop having so many of their games on the PC too. It hurts them a LOT in Germany.
One amongst many problems, but certainly a big one. Especially considering you don't have to pay to play online with said PC games and they are usually 15€ cheaper.

Top Bottom