• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Manga News/Discussion |OTX| Attack on Titles

Status
Not open for further replies.

Laughing Banana

Weeping Pickle
Beam's on break for a month. Dude really has to calm down and stop being so combative about Bleach.

Oh so it's not a perm :)

I've never seen anyone so *passionate* about a manga that much. It's impressive in a way, the feeling he has over Bleach.

Hmm, although perhaps I too will throw a tantrum if anyone ever dare dissing Kingdom :p

Team Medical Dragon 141

FnG0vTI.png

Katou!!! So badass!! SO WAIFU!!!

*faints*

The Gamer 20

Never really sat to think about where loot and such are formed from and the conservation of energy or matter. Though couldnt the monsters and such just have it stored on them, thats how I always imagined it in games, I mean, they even have that dumb skill Waste Money in p4g for example.

Yuureitou
Marube continues to be a creep. I really hope Amano and Tetsou will foster a genuine relationship by the end (still think he only likes her for her body)

Black Butler
Super interesting night time conversation pieces

Shokugeki no Soma
Food orgasms make a comeback. Who is that guy at the end, a polar star member--was he even introduced yet :/

Soma

My prediction still stands and next chapter will show you guys why

Soon you guys will address me as TheRealPredictor

Awwww Yeah I could see the authors intentions clearly
Shokugeki no Soma
Who is that guy at the end, a polar star member--was he even introduced yet :/
Marushii is the glasses guy in the Polar dorm who always has his room invaded by his other dorm mates

He will also be a finalist

Lain

Oh so it's not a perm :)

I've never seen anyone so *passionate* about a manga that much. It's impressive in a way, the feeling he has over Bleach.

Hmm, although perhaps I too will throw a tantrum if anyone ever dare dissing Kingdom :p

KINGDOM IS SHIT! SHIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIT!

Giant Killing volume 15
qW5.jpeg

Woah, Tatsumi was really a great player. those two goals he made were quite something, especially with how they came out from, basically, the way he directed the game. Also what he says toward the end of the volume (I understand, ETU has always been centered around me and I never entered the pitch thinking I played in such a team), which links back to one flashback earlier in the volume, where Narita is reminiscing about what Tatsumi said in regards to not playing on a single man, but playing to make use of everyone' strengths and I think this, along with his injury, makes for a pretty good reason for Tatsumi leaving ETU and a reason I approve of completely.

President Tsugawa is a piece of shit by the way.

Kieli

One thing that scares me is how little time Nakaba wastes in getting to the good stuff. Like, a typical fodder fight would span 10 or so chapters in any other manga, but it's taken care of in one chapter with him. It's awesome.

Hunter x Hunter 186 to 318

I don't use this phrase often, or ever actually, but that was truly an emotional roller coaster ride. First I hated the chimera ants, then I sympathized with them, then I hated them again and then HxH destroyed my perception of good and bad and jajakened me right in the heart. Seriously, that last scene with the king and komugi. Right in the feels. And that wasn't even all of it. This has to be one of the best written manga arcs i've ever read and certainly the best in HxH so far. Great characters, amazing fights (dat Netero), a lot of awesome moments, and a whole lot of heart. Now for the stuff I didn't care for. Didn't really like Gon's SS3 transformation, because I had hoped for the series to avoid going down that route just yet, but I was glad to see it wasn't used to beat the main baddy and that it comes at a big price. Also didn't like that Knov was shelved like that, but that was mostly because I wanted to see him in an all-out brawl. Anywho, looking forward to the next arc.

B-Dubs

No Scrubs

I don't use this phrase often, or ever actually, but that was truly an emotional roller coaster ride. First I hated the chimera ants, then I sympathized with them, then I hated them again and then HxH destroyed my perception of good and bad and jajakened me right in the heart. Seriously, that last scene with the king and komugi. Right in the feels. And that wasn't even all of it. This has to be one of the best written manga arcs i've ever read and certainly the best in HxH so far. Great characters, amazing fights (dat Netero), a lot of awesome moments, and a whole lot of heart. Now for the stuff I didn't care for. Didn't really like Gon's SS3 transformation, because I had hoped for the series to avoid going down that route just yet, but I was glad to see it wasn't used to beat the main baddy and that it comes at a big price. Also didn't like that Knov was shelved like that, but that was mostly because I wanted to see him in an all-out brawl. Anywho, looking forward to the next arc.

Told you guys it was the best arc.

wonzo

Banned
AKB49 147

Yamakan wishes he could shit on IDOL CULTURE this effortlessly. What a chapter.

wahjah moe 53

It's nice to see Tomoko all upbeat and in a good mood thanks to a damn good nights sleep! Just a few more nice rests and everything'll turn around for ya!

food smut 54

:bow MEAT GENERAL :bow

Silver Spoon 93

Uh-oh, he's about to get utterly destroyed by his dad. Maybe it really is ending soon…

Magi 210

rip mor. psychotic princess moe owns you

Kurayami ni Strobe 1 - End
Fun and really emotional friendship story between Arata and Miyamoto. Arata and the feelings he held close was easy to see myself in especially with quite a few parts and not wanting to say feelings just for the sake of not wanting things between friends to change and what not. Miyamoto was excellent character and really well done with being the more touchy and such person just willing to be open with feelings. While the other friends in the photo club were good support characters and entertaining in the bonus story. Really enjoyable story with the photo theme going on and the panel layout was a really good at times with the design of the bubbles and shapes chosen and a few other minor moments to make it feel special when the internal feelings and doubt was being stated.

When tears/feels are had at the death of
the main antagonist of the arc
you know you have something special on your hands. I dunno if I'd say the CA arc is better then the promised day in FMA or W7/EL but for me those are the top 3 arcs that shonen manga should strive for.

LeleSocho

Banned

Completely agree on everthing but not on
SSJ3 Gon because as you said it comes at a big price and wasn't the deus ex machina that resolved everything.

Friendly reminder that it has been almost 2 years without us having a HxH chapter.

Antiwhippy

the holder of the trombone
Kurayami ni Strobe 1 - End
Fun and really emotional friendship story between Arata and Miyamoto. Arata and the feelings he held close was easy to see myself in especially with quite a few parts and not wanting to say feelings just for the sake of not wanting things between friends to change and what not. Miyamoto was excellent character and really well done with being the more touchy and such person just willing to be open with feelings. While the other friends in the photo club were good support characters and entertaining in the bonus story. Really enjoyable story with the photo theme going on and the panel layout was a really good at times with the design of the bubbles and shapes chosen and a few other minor moments to make it feel special when the internal feelings and doubt was being stated.

Is that dude on the right a M-preg?

Big One

Banned

Yeah I feel mostly the same way. The issue with the Chimera Ant arc is that it was pretty much in the making for...what, 10 years? It's been a while, but once you read it as a whole cohesive unit, it's pretty freaking awesome. Just wish Togashi would get off his ass and crack down on the final arc of the series. I want to see the full party this coming arc (Gon, Killua, Kurapika, and Leorio).

B-Dubs

No Scrubs
When tears/feels are had at the death of
the main antagonist of the arc
you know you have something special on your hands. I dunno if I'd say the CA arc is better then the promised day in FMA or W7/EL but for me those are the top 3 arcs that shonen manga should strive for.

I'd say it's probably better than both. Mostly because there's no clear bad guy. It certainly seems like there is one at the start, but once you learn about him it becomes clear he's not exactly evil. More misguided.

Narras

Sakamoto desu ga? 1

I saw this on a banner of manga read here so I decided to read the first chapter. I looked at the cover and thought it would be some drama. Nope. Totally wrong. Funniest thing I've read in long time. I had to stop reading at some pages because I was laughing too hard.

exarkun

Yeah I feel mostly the same way. The issue with the Chimera Ant arc is that it was pretty much in the making for...what, 10 years? It's been a while, but once you read it as a whole cohesive unit, it's pretty freaking awesome. Just wish Togashi would get off his ass and crack down on the final arc of the series. I want to see the full party this coming arc (Gon, Killua, Kurapika, and Leorio).

How can it be the final arc? They juuuust introduced the outside world or whatever at the end there, meaning it cant just have one last arc of them fucking around out there. Hes still not strong enough to fuck with his dad.

I sort of regret reading hxh, then again I sort of don't. The biggest thing was how bad the art became towards the end. It was literal scribbles.

Here are the Manga Taisho 2014 nominees.

Ashizuri Suizokukan by panpanya
Ajin by Gamon Sakurai
The Bride's Stories by Kaoru Mori
Sakamoto desu ga? by Nami Sano
Sayonara, Tama-chan by Kazuyoshi Takeda
Jūhan Shuttai! by Naoko Matsuda
The Seven Deadly Sins by Nakaba Suzuki
Hikidashi ni Terrarium by Ryōko Kui
Boku Dake ga Inai Machi by Kei Sanbe
One-Punch Man by ONE/ Yuusuke Murata

To review which titles are eligible:
The nominating committee is composed mainly of bookstore staffers who are in charge of their respective stores' manga. Any manga title that was released in 2013 and has eight volumes or less is eligible. The volume cap is intentionally added so that the prize winners would be relatively new works that have not already earned their popularity through sheer longevity.

Results will be announced March 27th.

flawfuls

not giving a name is criminal

It's called Ryuuguuden. It's actually pretty great.

Yeah, it's a lesser thread without him. Think he was off to med school or whatever, so maybe he'll be back when he's Docflaw.

I lurk around here every so often, but I haven't been reading quite as much lately and I'm generally just too lazy to post. I did read some cool stuff over the holidays though and I guess now is a good as time as any to post about them.

Little Fluffy Gigilo Pelu

A masterpiece. It's about some sort of weird talking homeless alien space ovary that goes down to earth in order to find a bride. Each set of chapters starts with a new girl that Pelu falls in love with and ends with Pelu alone and heartbroken.
Most of the time is a sort of dark comedy where you are supposed to take pleasure in this innocent adorable things endless suffering, but it's much more than that at times. The stories of the each of the girls are pretty fun, creative and surreal.

Junko Mizuno easily one of the most unappreciated mangaka out there. Both this and her other translated manga Pure Trance deserve to be way more popular than they are/

The Strange Tale of Panorama Island

Wow it turns out that when Suehiro Maruo is a pretty fantastic mangaka when he isn't just trying to come up with the grossest shit imaginable. This is the story about a guy who impersonates a rich dead man so he fulfill his dream of making a super luxury island. The story is pretty good, but it's not really what this manga about. What this manga is really the island itself and the unbelievably imaginative ideas put into it. It's all depicted beautifully by Suehiro Maruo which I never really appreciated properly until I read this where it's not always painfully gross to look at.

Nagai Michi

An incredibly charming manga about a couple brought together by a carelessly decided arranged. Done by any other mangaka the couple's ridiculous relationship would be cringeworthy, but Fumiyo Kouno makes everything wonderful and heartwarming. I also read Pippira Note by the same author and while it's still good it's really held back by it's four koma nature.

Spirits Flying in the Sky

Pretty standard Daisuke Igarashi short story collection. Probably my least favorite manga from they guy which means it's only very very good.

Akito

Silver Spoon 94
ibqygTH3bfDwDo.jpg

LMAO

Great chapter once again, Hachiken finally gets some recognition he deserves from his father. MIkage being Mikage. Also no way this is going to end any time soon.

Aizo

Banned
The Strange Tale of Panorama Island

Wow it turns out that when Suehiro Maruo is a pretty fantastic mangaka when he isn't just trying to come up with the grossest shit imaginable.
Unfortunately, this is because he didn't write this story. It's based on a one written by the genius Edogawa Ranpo.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom