• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Tomb Raider Definitive Edition - PlayStation 4 = ~60fps, Xbox One = ~30fps

Status
Not open for further replies.
Yup, I just never imagine that gamers would really go the bang for the buck route. To each their own.

I never came here trying to push a PC agenda. I love consoles and always will, I just sad that gamers have lowered their standards these days cause they are saving a buck.

I don't know what kind of privileged life you've lived where price/performance hasn't always been important.

DietRob

i've been begging for over 5 years.
you know we can almost write up a script for these events now.

1. News breaks that PS4 is demonstrably better at something thanks to its specs/developer environment
2. First 200 posts all "holy fucking shit", "dis gun be good" and on the other side "lazy devs" and "i dont really need to play this in 60 anyway, 30 is fine for this type of game."
3. Someone posts Arthur Gies twitter feed, where he predictably tries to downplay the entire thing while retaining an air of false objectivity
4. Major Nelson's Fun Facts
5. A billion people rightly bring up Albert Penello's 30% post and how he disrespected this community with his deceptions
7. People trying to pretend they're "skeptical" at the news until they hear it from a "better source" (which coincidentally never comes for them)
8. Then people move from trying to deny the news to pretending nobody will notice it or it's not really important for anything anyway. Semantics games all over the place.
9. 30+ other pages of photoshops and other such hilarity

Insert your own steps, it's a game :D

I know this is an older post and has probably been quoted several times. But I'm just catching up on reading this thread today and holy shitballs. Ami you nailed it, exactly. Bow.

Just stop man. I'm a PC gamer just like you but I can still call this impressive.

Console gamers get to enjoy a great looking game at 1080p/60fps. That is awesome.

You know this isnt about PC. Ive already stated this a few times, I didnt come in this thread to push a PC agenda. Its about what Sony and MS have been doing with these consoles and Im not impressed.

I don't know what kind of privileged life you've lived where price/performance hasn't always been important.

Not privileged at all, its just the way I see things. You live only once, money doesnt follow you to your grave. If there something you want then you work hard to obtain the things that make you happy.

Can't believe some people are arguing that 30 FPS is better than 60 FPS.

It's just so.......unreal.

Depends entirely on the games. Dead Space for example. The first one is made with 30fps in mind. Unlock the framerate in the PC-version and it looks ridiculous.The same with Dead Space 2. The entire mood of the game is destroyed by this. Not to mention the feel of the game. And of course 30fps is better than 60fps in a general standpoint too. 60fps doesn't come for free. So if you value better visuals with a smooth experience 30fps is something to strive for if you know that 60fps probably won't be achieved at a satisfactory level. However. If you design a game with 60fps in mind from the ground up it has a lot of advantages over 30. Both facts and a matter of preference. Then there are physical impacts where 60fps can be more tiresome for the eyes as well. My eyes felt strained playing Dark Souls at 60fps compared to 30fps.

Korezo

I rather square port one of the HD remake games coming to ps3 or lightning returns than this garbage of a game. Why on earth did they decide to port this game which already has a superior pc version....

SeanR1221

1. News breaks that PS4 is demonstrably better at something thanks to its specs/developer environment
2. First 200 posts all "holy fucking shit", "dis gun be good" and on the other side "lazy devs" and "i dont really need to play this in 60 anyway, 30 is fine for this type of game."
3. Someone posts Arthur Gies twitter feed, where he predictably tries to downplay the entire thing while retaining an air of false objectivity
5. A billion people rightly bring up Albert Penello's 30% post and how he disrespected this community with his deceptions
7. People trying to pretend they're "skeptical" at the news until they hear it from a "better source" (which coincidentally never comes for them)
8. Then people move from trying to deny the news to pretending nobody will notice it or it's not really important for anything anyway. Semantics games all over the place.

Spot on.

I also want to add an address the Sess will come out where he says "what's wrong with all of you what's the big deal here!?"

geordiemp

I know this is an older post and has probably been quoted several times. But I'm just catching up on reading this thread today and holy shitballs. Ami you nailed it, exactly. Bow.

Of course its predictable, does not stop making it interesting and a popular thread .....

....its fun

SmokedMeat

Gamer™
I agree. PC was better before, is better now and will be better in the future as long as you are willing to shell out the cash to build a good rig. This is a discussion about two closed systems so bringing the PC in this is ridiculous.

I think a lot of modern PC gamers were console gamers who switched. They still want to be a part of console wars as they still have that mentaity, so they try and bring their PC platform into every console discussion now.

MaLDo

that canned benchmark is not remotely representative of gameplay. you get drops significantly lower than you see in that benchmark during gameplay.

Techspot's benchmark is from gameplay.

The benchmark you used is just Lara stood on a cliff by herself in the rain. The game throws multiple enemies at you in much larger and detailed environments.

No completely true. TR benchmark is in fact, a TressFX benchmark. The first version of TressFX into the game, has a big perfomance problem when camera is near Lara's head, because rise the precision and density of the hair. That's why the benchmark is a camera moving to the head and looking for Lara mainly.

And that's the reason of the big performance difference with TressFX on/off when you look at benchmark numbers.

DietRob

i've been begging for over 5 years.
Of course its predictable, does not stop making it interesting and a popular thread .....

....its fun

Yep, never said it wasn't. I do like watching all this unfold hence the reason I'm reading a 2 day old thread today.

-Amon-

I think a lot of modern PC gamers were console gamers who switched. They still want to be a part of console wars as they still have that mentaity, so they try and bring their PC platform into every console discussion now.

One of the few logic explanations possible.

tkalamba

I rather square port one of the HD remake games coming to ps3 or lightning returns than this garbage of a game. Why on earth did they decide to port this game which already has a superior pc version....

Marketing, they know people will rebuy it at this point as both consoles lack a full range of pretty games. It's a smart move to make a some more money.

KageMaru

Wow pretty huge. At least it's nice that we know which system will continuously get the better version.

It is a few months into this gen... everyone flipping out over this sort of thing is really amazing to me. Look how far last gen went in terms of visuals and performance.

This is very similar to last gen..but this time Sony's platform will be the slightly better version of most multi plat games. Last gen 360 games were always a tad better.

As an owner of both I have my foot in both camps... this sort of stuff is just getting out of hand. No idea why people want to "win" on so many levels this gen.

This is nothing like last Gen. Back then the 360 held a slight lead for most of the titles, but that gap narrowed as the generation went on. No both systems enjoy ports that are close to parity with random advantages going either way.

This Gen however, we're not going to see the gap narrow. The ps4 should consistently outpace the Xbox one in one way or another. We won't be reaching parity at the end of this generation.

Also, this has nothing to do with winning for many of us. I couldn't care less which system performs better, but news like this is still interesting. Sure you'll have your fanboys who celebrate, or meltdown in defense, over this. However that's not entirely what I'm seeing in this thread. I imagine many just question why pay more for less in terms of performance? I know I do.

I feel like we are getting to a stage where mods need to come in and set some rules for PC dick waving during these console comparison threads.

Its bad enough PC only crowd gets a free pass to port beg and shit up threads that way.

So it wasn't 30% after all--it was 100%. :p

edit: dammit, beaten.

Well I do think that developers choose a target of either 30fps or 60fps, they don't ever chose 40 or 45 fps to lock. It's likely that only the PS4 was capable of a 60fps lock, so anything less, whatever that % may be, doesn't matter, they have to stick with 30fps as their target. If it's a floaty 30fps then we have to call Houston.

jayu26

Because "true" PC gamers could never do something like this? What kind of post is this?

CoG

Spot on.

I also want to add an address the Sess will come out where he says "what's wrong with all of you what's the big deal here!?"

Heh. Sessler's Soapbox a week later.

"So there's a big debate on the interwebs on 30fps vs 60fps and I'm here to say that it doesn't maaaaaaaater."

Spot on.

Lol, so true. "Hey people who enjoy games and watch and read things from people like me and get me paid, stop talking and listening to us and just play the games"

because not everyone has a PC version, and Tomb Raider was generally received and sold well

Lightning Returns is pretty much going to bomb sales wise

dmr87

This game is a joke sorry but the only console it should of came out on was the Wii U. With it coming out on the Xbox One and PS4 its almost like a slap in the face of the consumer laughing at them saying " HA HA HA what a dumbass you are, your new console is not backwards compatible and we will take advantage of it". If you are wondering why I said Wii U at the beginning well it never came out for a nintendo console so I would not mind it, but as it stands right now its the laziest thing I have ever seen. A port of a game from last year on the same user bases of xbox and PlayStation. If anything this game is the poster child for why backward compatibility should be standard. As for the frame rate who gives a shit, if you are dumb enough to get this game for the PS4/ XBONE and not the 360 or ps3 then you are already stupid. Sorry but wasn't that the game they said was a failure and thier charging full price for this port? How much is the one from last year cost, what its cheap? I am not saying tomb raider is a bad game. But if any of you support the next gen version I must say that is really sad, I know there is nothing to play but do not buy this game. Its odd the one thing that would be nice on PS4 and xbone is some that the WII U has in full force. I really wish they were backward compatible.

I played it on PC and I'm getting the PS4 version, that's a real jimmie rustler.

Mihos

Gold Member
This game is a joke sorry but the only console it should of came out on was the Wii U. With it coming out on the Xbox One and PS4 its almost like a slap in the face of the consumer laughing at them saying " HA HA HA what a dumbass you are, your new console is not backwards compatible and we will take advantage of it". If you are wondering why I said Wii U at the beginning well it never came out for a nintendo console so I would not mind it, but as it stands right now its the laziest thing I have ever seen. A port of a game from last year on the same user bases of xbox and PlayStation. If anything this game is the poster child for why backward compatibility should be standard. As for the frame rate who gives a shit, if you are dumb enough to get this game for the PS4/ XBONE and not the 360 or ps3 then you are already stupid. Sorry but wasn't that the game they said was a failure and thier charging full price for this port? How much is the one from last year cost, what its cheap? I am not saying tomb raider is a bad game. But if any of you support the next gen version I must say that is really sad, I know there is nothing to play but do not buy this game. Its odd the one thing that would be nice on PS4 and xbone is some that the WII U has in full force. I really wish they were backward compatible.

.... what

I'm not saying the built in one is better or that it runs perfect now, just that the numbers from Techspot aren't the numbers you'll get today.

I'm not disagreeing with you. I'm just making sure people understand that benchmark is useless for this discussion. People kept bringing it up in the 30 fps thread too, and as someone who has finished the game on PC, I feel it's important to let anyone know that hasn't played it on PC, that those numbers are meaningless when discussing how the actual game runs.

My benchmark results are great. I regularly saw dips well below them during gameplay. Some areas of the game didn't just see lower dips, but averages lower than my minimum framerate in the benchmark.

Readingaid

Neo Member
Sigh...You play your PC ill play my PS4 youll bang on about tessellation ill bang on about Uncharted. At the end of this all your happy you spent whatever you did to get the performance you want, so did I.

I couldnt give a rats ass if Laras boob is a little rounder on one rather than the other. From what I have gathered I will need a monstrous PC to play this at 1080p 60fps. Some people have that capability on their PC, some people like me were getting the game anyway and when it was found it was 60fps thought "oh thats nice" but when it was rumored at 30 thought "oh well, thats still awesome".

In these situations imagine yourself talking to someone about Tomb Raider Definitive Edition say at a bus stop or at a bar, the topic comes up, you say "oh yeah im looking forward to that on PS4" Then some bloke butts in and says "OMG ITS NOT 60FPS LOCKED AND HAS NO TESSELATION" I think most of us would blankly stare at him and continue the previous conversation.

THAT is how this thread reads.

Silly question.
If I have this on PC with a GTX 670 is there any reason to double dip on PS4?

I'm in the same situation as you, and I'm still on the fence about double dipping
on one hand, the new lighting and effects look nice, as does the new lara model
on the other hand it's horribly expensive for what's basically the same game with slightly better graphics
for now I think I'll just wait for it to lower in price, while quietly hoping these improvements might still get patched into the pc version

Rainy Dog

Would it impress you if someone had tweaked their settings to get a relatively steady 60fps on the game whilst running @1080p, ultra settings TressFX enabled on an i3 with a 7850?

Genuinely curious.

I couldn't get anywhere near 60fps with TressFX enabled on my 7850 and that's backed by an overclocked i7.

Has it been confirmed that the PS4 version will have TressFX enabled? If it does with settings equivalent to Ultra and definitely runs at a steady enough 60fps, then colour me impressed anyway.

AlphaDump

Gold Member

Amir0x, that isn't cool. You cant make me laugh like this while the office is so damn quiet. People are now looking.

eznark

Banned

This is an amazing post and must be highlighted.

benny_a

extra source of jiggaflops
My benchmark results are great. I regularly saw dips well below them during gameplay. Some areas of the game didn't just see lower dips, but averages lower than my minimum framerate in the benchmark.
That's one of the most annoying things.

My BioShock Infinite benchmark was fantastic on Ultra, but when I tried to play it that way it fluctuated like crazy and I had to scale it well down from what the benchmark numbers would indicate.

It's basically not a way to configure the game, but rather just a test tool to show off how awesomesauce your setup is.

Interfectum

I couldn't get anywhere near 60fps with TressFX enabled on my 7850 and that's backed by an overclocked i7.

Has it been confirmed that the PS4 version will have TressFX enabled? If it does with settings equivalent to Ultra and definitely runs at a steady enough 60fps, then colour me impressed anyway.

It's TressFX enabled but apparently it's not the same as the PC version.

They kind of did though. The 60 fps is a direct byproduct of looking the exact same as the xbone version.

how is 60 fps screwing us over?

the game plays fine at 30. it plays better at 60. Xbox One owners get a console version that runs at 30 fps or above, at a much higher resolution, with greatly improved effects when compared to the previous console versions.

PS4 owners get the higher resolution and improved effects with a much higher framerate to boot. putting all that extra power into increasing the framerate up to nearer your TV's max refresh... it's not screwing PS4 owners. not remotely.

This thread has delivered the goods :). When I read the first post, I thought to myself

"TO ARMS BRETHREN!"

With that said, I can't wait to try this game out when PS4 is available and the game is $30 bucks.

They kind of did though. The 60 fps is a direct byproduct of looking the exact same as the xbone version.

Wait, so now 60fps is a bad thing? You just can't win.

Not speaking in general, but when it was thought that both versions were 30fps, a LOT of people were defending the 30fps target, saying that it's fine so long as it looks amazing, afterall 30fps is ok for this type of game and only crucial for fighters and racers, amirite? However watch it turn into a crucial thing and suddenly 60fps is the only way to go, or like above, an even darker side where 60fps is bad because they could've pushed the PS4 harder down to 30fps, trading frames for image quality.

Well screw that, I for won love the smoothness of 60fps. The game looks amazing as is, don't chop the framerate in half for the sake of a few effects, gameplay is always king and framerate is part of that equation.

PS4 is basically making xbox ones and gaming pcs obselete, and the resulting saltiness is so delicious

lEmlQBx.gif

That's one of the most annoying things.

My BioShock Infinite benchmark was fantastic on Ultra, but when I tried to play it that way it fluctuated like crazy and I had to scale it well down from what the benchmark numbers would indicate.

It's basically not a way to configure the game, but rather just a test tool to show off how awesomesauce your setup is.

In the case of Tomb Raider, basically all you can see from that benchmark is how many FPS you'll lose turning on TressFX. It's a TressFX benchmark. Nothing more.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom