• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Tomb Raider Remastered Trilogy New Gameplay Videos Released

Draugoth

Gold Member
The first Tomb Raider was released in 1996, nearly 30 years ago, and in a few days, developer/publisher Aspyr is bringing the original trilogy back with some much-needed upgrades. The controls have been modernized and the games look better, but thankfully, the original versions of the three games are available as part of the package as well. Join Brian Shea and me as we check out the first levels of the three games, discuss what works about them, and where there are some shortcomings.

Tomb Raider I-III Remastered releases for PlayStation 5, PlayStation 4, Xbox Series X/S, Xbox One, PC, and Switch on February 14.

cireza

Game looks great but the difference in lighting between original and new is a bit comical.

QDh5vQz.png

2LHwqQt.png

Last edited:

tommib

Looks fine. I’ll probably switch between versions constantly because the original graphics are still super atmospheric and there’s always something lost during the translation.

This is one hell of a package and I can’t wait. Also, that original soundtrack. 🧑‍🍳 💋

Looks fine. I’ll probably switch between versions constantly because the original graphics are still super atmospheric and there’s always something lost during the translation.

This is one hell of a package and I can’t wait. Also, that original soundtrack. 🧑‍🍳 💋
Wait you can switch back to OG graphics? Wish more games did that, D2 did but they messed up the og graphics and used the lowest res software renderer instead of a glide wrapper. At least the og game was able to show blond and red hair on the switch, unlike the remake.

Last edited:

Madflavor

Just a higher resolution? Anybody is going to pay for this scam?

Tomb Raider I - III Remastered includes:

• Tomb Raider I - III, plus their expansions Unfinished Business, The Golden Mask, The Lost Artifact.
  • Upgraded models and textures.
  • Higher performance.
  • Modern Controls that you can switch to and customize.
  • The ability to switch between Classic and Remastered visuals on a whim.
  • Photo Mode.
  • Trophies.
  • Restored deleted cutscenes and music.
  • Changes to the game such as adding health bars to bosses, camera locks, point markers for picks ups and interactable environments.

But yeah, it's a scam. A $25 scam.

I remember thinking it was awesome back in the days, has it not aged well?
What was wrong with it? i thought it was great! Played it on pc years ago. It wasn't one to one, but it wasn't a remaster like this, it was a re-imagining or remake.

I like Anniversary a lot, but it had some quirks that some people didn't like. The violence was way toned down, and a lot of boss battles became QTEs. The game also lost that dark, atmospheric and creepy vibe with a lot of it's environments that the Original had. It was also a far easier game.

The toned down violence bothers me more than it used to. In cutscenes Lara is literally shooting at characters who are wearing regular clothing, and you see bullets sparking off their torso. No blood, and they look mildly inconvenienced when it happens. Her ragdolling or bouncing off a bundle of spikes like a springboard was also really silly.

Last edited:

alf717

This looks awesome, Still waiting out of Switch footage though if that version is smooth I'm all in. Aspyr did a great job with the lip syncing.
Footi has access to the game if you wanna check out some more.

Last edited:

Deerock71

Tomb Raider IS the controls, there's zero point in playing tomb raider if you're just going to use modern 3d controls. You're exploring tombs, needing to be careful and get the lineup of jumps just right is the point.

Then you'll actually feel good when you do it just right:
Q3GFCOl.gif
It's cool that the option is there for purists. I don't think I'll be sticking with them, though. I thought they were pretty clunky back in the day.

Alexios

Cores, shaders and BIOS oh my!
Tomb Raider IS the controls, there's zero point in playing tomb raider if you're just going to use modern 3d controls. You're exploring tombs, needing to be careful and get the lineup of jumps just right is the point.

Then you'll actually feel good when you do it just right:
Q3GFCOl.gif
Dunno how people think different controls can even work. I imagine it's gonna be something totally off and dumb and broken and unfun like the new controls option of the first REmake. All the game needs to be "modern" is for the right stick to rotate the camera, superficial and unnecesarry as it is.

Last edited:

SCB3

Some people love the originals and just want enhanced ports to play on modern platforms, others want a remake. You can't please everyone, but I think the studio made the right call. Plenty of modern Tomb Raider games to go around, might as well preserve the originals. It's also rather cheap.
Exactly, its £22 here, hardly breaking the bank for what is essentially 3 of the best Action Adventure games ever made, I do wish 4 and 5 were included as well, but from what I've seen, the remasters are looking good

Alexios

Game Informer video is like, what is wrong with those people, complaining constantly about killing animals and making jokes all about it, have they really not played the original games and who the fuck works in this industry and hasn't, whether as a developer or in the media about it. Just fuck off.

The dude can't even climb short obstacles without making a stupid full jump or realize he needs to do a running jump to clear larger distances at the very end, what kind of fucking imbeciles are covering games nowadays (ok always but come the fuck on, you have the internet to be informed now)?

Last edited:

darthkarki

Nintendo World Report says the Switch performance is 1080p docked and 720p handheld at a solid 60fps!

Has anyone made any comments on the PS5 version? Any hint of 4K/120fps/HDR or anything along those lines? Torn between getting it on Switch vs PS5.

Alexios

Game looks great but the difference in lighting between original and new is a bit comical.
To be fair in your first shot it made 0 sense for that bit to have more light than anything else in that area. Kind of why that stupid RTX fan project added torches everywhere I guess, with light that behaves more naturally everything would have been dark without added sources. I don't really think it's problematic at all the way it's handled here, you can still see the switch and gate when they probably made it superbright for visibility in the original at that part being the very first area of the game (or it's even a mistake with light bleeding from what's behind the door and they never corrected it).
Video-games are not about making sense, they are about creating a context in which you can have fun. If everything is super dark and I can't see shit, then I am not going to have fun.
Yeah, this isn't a reply to what I wrote, you cut it off nicely to make up imaginary bullshit. Very telling of your non argument. Move on if you are gonna reply in bad faith and just make shit up like how it's super dark and you can't see shit now, a point that's both wrong and I specifically address above.

Last edited:

Vblad88

Do only I have impression that new Lara animation is completely unsuitable for 60 fps ? The moves look like straight from Ducktales or something… If it’s an official thing they could at least borrow the animation from Anniversary… they had one job…

Goliath77

Was there any update on trophies? Not sure whether to buy on ps4 or ps5

Would love to know if its confirmed no platinum on ps5

Mr Hyde

Would love a physical copy of this. I hope the devs ain't cooking it up and release it 6 months from now just to make us double dip.

Top Bottom