• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Tomb Raider I-III Remastered Releases on February 14, 2024 (Switch, PS4/5, XBX/S, PC)

Something tells me that there will be a patch regarding the dark /low brightness on some spots - pretty much every preview mentioned it and so did many users over the internet.

Anyway, for those that got it, how's the release ? any major problems like crashes/sound de-syncs, saves fuckery , bugged effects/textures etc etc like most modern release out there ? (GTA trilogy cough* cough).
Thinking of getting it for the PS5 it's just that... I don't even know if I have the time to go through all these games.

Cheers
I sure hope not, I say it many times but tombs are supposed to be dark... is it harder to navigate than classic mode ? yes it is but its much more moody and ambient and fun to try to see where to go in remastered because the lighting makes much more sense to the surroundings.

Giallo Corsa

Gold Member
I sure hope not, I say it many times but tombs are supposed to be dark... is it harder to navigate than classic mode ? yes it is but its much more moody and ambient and fun to try to see where to go in remastered because the lighting makes much more sense to the surroundings.

I get what you're saying man, thing is, I've been reading and hearing that it's actually hard to navigate through these dark environments which obviously comes as a detriment to the game making things harder than they should be (even compared to the originals).

Haven't played the games yet but, this is what I've gathered from watching previews/reviews and reading comments here and there.

cheers

Melon Husk

I don't mind it but traditionally in games light sources are placed tactically to guide the player's eyes toward points of interest.

stuminus3

This is awesome. Modern controls come with their own set of quirks to learn but so far comfortable once you get a groove. Can’t be understated exactly how significant these games were so it’s nice that this has worked out so well.

Stuart360

To be fair the new textures do look quite nice.
It seems they did listen to somem of the backlash from that orig trailer a few months ago, which made the 'remasters' look just like the orig games running at higher resolution.
Still think they could of upated the npc's and environment polygon counts a bit though.

TexMex

Haven’t played a ton, but they did a wonderful job on this. For fans of those original games, no brainer. There’s so much game here for 30 bucks, the visual toggle is awesome. Perfectly preserves those original experiences.

Deerock71

matthew mcconaughey oscars GIF

Okay okay okay. Ploughed through the first couple levels using tank controls...and it actually takes me back to swapping the PSX controller between my cousin and me after we died (which was frequent lol). I might try sticking it out with these.

Turns out controlling Lara's like riding solo on a tandem bike. It's not easy, but it's workable.

Last edited:

Elios83

I've done a few levels and I don't like modern controls. Surprisingly side step and back step are not available in this mode and even side and back jumps are only available if a weapon is equipped. Camera can also get messy.
Maybe it's because I'm used to tank controls from the 90s but it's much better, the way the games were designed around and it shows.
The rest of the remaster is pretty much well done, it looks great graphically, I'd just fix/remove the weird parallax effect they have added to ladder textures to make them look like 3D objects, it's not well done and it seems like you're having double vision.

Last edited:

TGO

Hype Train conductor. Works harder than it steams.
I've done a few levels and I don't like modern controls. Surprisingly side step and back step are not available in this mode and even side and back jumps are only available if a weapon is equipped. Camera can also get messy.
Maybe it's because I'm used to tank controls from the 90s but it's much better, the way the games were designed around and it shows.
The rest of the remaster is pretty much well done, it looks great graphically, I'd just fix/remove the weird parallax effect they have added to ladder textures to make them see 3d objects, it's not well done and it seems like you're having double vision.
Considering they put a lot of 3D objects in the games I don't know why they didn't do that other then clipping.
But the game has that anyway

Filben

Can someone tell me if the DualSense has haptic feedback and adaptive trigger support on PC or is at least natively supported without relying on Steam Input?

Knuckleheads on the Steam forum contradict themselves every time because they apparently don't know what native means and/or don't know that the DualSense is NOT the DualShock.

xrnzaaas

I've played TR1 with tank controls today and it's waayyy better than modern controls, not just for moving during exploration, but for jumping during combat as well.

I have to say I constantly get angry at the AWFUL CAMERA. It's the game's biggest flaw by far. There are so many places where the camera doesn't show what's in front of Lara or just doesn't show anything and you have to reposition or make blind jumps.

luca_29_bg

It looks like they removed the sounds of when Lara hit a wall when modern controls are enabled, while with the the tank control these sounds (ouch! Ahh! etc) are still present! Why ? o_O

Last edited:

MagiusNecros

Gilgamesh Fan Annoyance
Tank controls are superior. I can see Modern controls seeing limited use during combat for mobility or running around areas that don't require jumping or finesse but other then that I think Tank controls are the way to go. Feels more natural and intuitive. Kinda wish you could swap controls on the fly with a button press like you can with the graphics modes.

TGO

I hate how dark the remastered graphics are. Lighting is terrible. Playing in classic gfx mode cause otherwise can’t see shit. Hope they patch it.

Exact same frame.

Classic
YusgB0F.jpg

Remastered:
xgvLZin.jpg
Funny enough when I switch to Classic I'm like
Season 1 Episode 6 GIF by Friends

It's overly bright, I haven't had any trouble so far with in the Remastered Mode.
Everything looks natural, except for some overly saturated whites
Other then that the game looks good
sC0PNnp.jpg
qAl3u5R.jpg
s4bUGXw.jpg
wyx372D.jpg

bKpF8w0.jpg

I don't mind it but traditionally in games light sources are placed tactically to guide the player's eyes toward points of interest.
what do you mean? you have flashes from the pistols if you want it brighter, i stick by my point tombs are supposed to be dark and exploring them should not be easy.
I have had zero issues spotting items or spotting secrets in the darkness. but never mind if they change it due to outcry then i have the gog version downloaded which is not updated on that.
I just hope they stay in the dark so to speak this is the right treatment for tomb raider gameplay. it was always supposed to be dark and ambient the slow gameplay supports this kind of mood.

I don't understand why they didn't make the original graphics mode 60 fps...a game is still perfectly preserved at 60 fps, it's the way things are truly meant to be played had the devs had that option back then. 30 fps is not "preservation". Could this have been some bizarre technical limitation? Sam's issue with MGS1 right?

Odinnii

Playing the original game for the first time.
Struggling with the controls a bit but still had fun finishing the first 3 levels.
Game runs great on the Asus Ally @ 10w

TGO

Playing the original game for the first time.
Struggling with the controls a bit but still had fun finishing the first 3 levels.
Game runs great on the Asus Ally @ 10w
Modern or Tank?
I found the Modern more irritating to be honest.
Make sure you adjust the sensitivity too.
And the original games were designed with the D-Pad, while the analog is okay the D-Pad is more precise as to and just tap it.
The Modern Controls don't respect the design of the original game and can make it awkward imo
I know it may seem weird if it's the first time using Tank Controls but once it clicks you'll be back flipping and side flipping up ledges like a gymnast

Last edited:

emivita

Me when TR1 main theme plays while exploring...

queue reaction s GIF

Nostalgia melting my heart, I miss those days. And holy shit, sometimes the game can still be scary, enemies jumping at you from behind or around the corner with scary noises... those rats in the cistern are surely something.

Lighting is fine on my TV, but I play the game in the dark, as it should be. In TR2 and 3 you can collect flares, I remember original TR3 was very dark in general.

NeoIkaruGAF

Gold Member
Boy St. Francis folly is not a good place when your scare of heights. :messenger_fearful: I'm saving my game before every jump.:messenger_grinning_smiling:
St. Francis Folly is one of the best levels ever made in any game. It never ceases to awe me. The excellent level design with the four rooms to explore in any order. The sheer vertigo of that vertical room, being able to look down and see so much of it and yet knowing there was still more in the dark below. I guess we all saved our game at one point and just made Lara head-dive to the bottom just to see how much it would take and to hear her famous scream.

For years, every one of my replays of TR ended at SFF. The levels just get so much longer after that, and the loading times do accordingly. Impossible to enjoy on PS with its limited saves. It’s only when I got the PC version with save-anywhere that I could replay the whole game, and what a ride it was.

Me when TR1 main theme plays while exploring...

queue reaction s GIF

Nostalgia melting my heart, I miss those days. And holy shit, sometimes the game can still be scary, enemies jumping at you from behind or around the corner with scary noises... those rats in the cistern are surely something.

Lighting is fine on my TV, but I play the game in the dark, as it should be. In TR2 and 3 you can collect flares, I remember original TR3 was very dark in general.
Yeah, nostalgia hit really hard with this game. I skipping actual work just to play. Miss those days but i am so enjoying this…

There is one tiny thing i don't really like is that there are much more holes or windows in the roofs where you can look outside. Makes it less… tomby.

I also discovered yesterday that you can fly around the map with the photo mode camera…

Last edited:

tommib

St. Francis Folly is one of the best levels ever made in any game. It never ceases to awe me. The excellent level design with the four rooms to explore in any order. The sheer vertigo of that vertical room, being able to look down and see so much of it and yet knowing there was still more in the dark below. I guess we all saved our game at one point and just made Lara head-dive to the bottom just to see how much it would take and to hear her famous scream.

For years, every one of my replays of TR ended at SFF. The levels just get so much longer after that, and the loading times do accordingly. Impossible to enjoy on PS with its limited saves. It’s only when I got the PC version with save-anywhere that I could replay the whole game, and what a ride it was.
Folly is the best level ever designed, so I’ll go even further. Demon’s Souls 3-2 comes second.

Esppiral

Surprised the game never tells you that you can access photomode / free fly camera by pressing R3 and L3. I found It by accident.

Last edited:
Finally played the first level. An incredible remaster all around, the fact that is supports ultrawide screen is a true icing on the cake. Lara has never been more immersive than even that of the rebooted series. And the audio... that nostalgic audio. So sublime. I feel my childhood coming back.

As for the modern controls. Eh... I need my flips and back to the D-pad it is, classic style. It's so weird to jump with "X'.

Filben

Bought it for PC. Man, switching back and forth it's incredible how good the original still looks artistically.

I even booted up that pixel pulp of the Sega Saturn version on an emulator in original resolution. The colouring, depth and texture work is so incredible.

I wonder, though, what the haptic feedback is like on PS5.

tommib

Bought it for PC. Man, switching back and forth it's incredible how good the original still looks artistically.

I even booted up that pixel pulp of the Sega Saturn version on an emulator in original resolution. The colouring, depth and texture work is so incredible.

I wonder, though, what the haptic feedback is like on PS5.
They should’ve added 60 fps to the original mode and bilinear filtering, just like the 3DFX and PowerVR versions back in the day.

It would be my preferred way to play. I like the remaster but the original graphics just bring a different mood.

Con-Z-epT

Live from NeoGAF, it's Friday Night!
A real emotionally evocative endeavour it is to replay this trilogy. Not only for the gaming nostalgia in general but for all the feelings and memories outside of it that slowly start to resurface while going through these.

It also just shows again that simple fleshed out gameplay mechanics are all we need to find great joy in a game. Everything is available from the first second with only new weapons added into it, yet it's a blast to play this without the need for a bloated story, crafting, open world clutter and what not.

mansoor1980

Gold Member
A real emotionally evocative endeavour it is to replay this trilogy. Not only for the gaming nostalgia in general but for all the feelings and memories outside of it that slowly start to resurface while going through these.

It also just shows again that simple fleshed out gameplay mechanics are all we need to find great joy in a game. Everything is available from the first second with only new weapons added into it, yet it's a blast to play this without the need for a bloated story, crafting, open world clutter and what not.
26038.gif

srsly
-main character is quiet and doesent speak
-simple story / characters
-to the point gameplay and level design
-shits on modern AAA story driven bloated games

tommib

This is why I play TR1 at least every two years. It’s a perfect template for perfect games. Everything that I like is in there.

SSfox

Having a bless, the games is dream come true games. What a epic games, not much talking like most modern games, only gameplay, reflections and puzzling, and some combats vs humans, animals creatures etc, here and there, in all different locations, and when there is talking or cutscenes it feels some special moment, all this with super iconic character, the perfect adventure games.

Having a bless, the games is dream come true games. What a epic games, not much talking like most modern games, only gameplay, reflections and puzzling, and some combats vs humans, animals creatures etc, here and there, in all different locations, and when there is talking or cutscenes it feels some special moment, all this with super iconic character, the perfect adventure games.
It's bliss… Game development has gone 'too far' i think.

I'm having a blast...and honestly? The level design is the main character of these games. That's what keeps us going.

Loving every second of it. I always loved these games and TR2 is alongside FFIX my favorite game of all time, but i'm getting a new appreciation for these games and honestly? (not so famous take) these games aged much better than i expected.

I haven't had so much fun with a Tomb Raider game since i played these first 5 games 20 years ago.

You don't need AAA production values to make a good game.

Top Bottom