• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

52 Games - 1 Year Challenge

Status
Not open for further replies.
Game 7: Shinobi III [3DS] 4:48
Never played this growing up so I'm happy I had the chance, was short and sweet, some decently challenging levels. Good music too.

Next game: Castlevania Lord of the Shadows on PS3

Updated post.

Toki767

Should update my progress.

Game #5: God of War: Ghost of Sparta - 6 hours
Great game. Might be the second best God of War game ever. It flowed really well.

Game #6: Saints Row IV - 12 hours
Pretty fun game. Felt like an expansion to SR3, but the superpowers were cool to play with. Thanks a lot free Steam weekend.

Game #7: Thomas Was Alone - 3 hours
Bought this for $2.50 and finished it in one sitting, but it was quite fun.

Game #8: Brothers: a Tale of Two Sons - 4 hours
Good game. I liked it, but it felt a little overhyped. Felt a little too much like I was fighting the controls. I also felt like the older brother was a jerk.

Game #9: Long Live the Queen - 3 hours
This was a really addicting game, but it was pretty challenging trying to figure out how to not get your Princess killed. It was mostly trial and error though. Might be one of those games I'll go back to play more just to see different paths.

Game #10: Papers, Please - 4 hours
You wouldn't think a game about looking over documents for errors and stuff would be interesting or fun, but it is. This was a really well done game.

Game #11: Enslaved: Odyssey to the West - 10 hours
I really enjoyed this game. Probably Ninja Theory's best game. Easily liked it better than Heavenly Sword and DmC. Shame it sold worse than those two.

ethanny2

Okaay my hat is in the ring

1.Pokemon X 3DS~40 Hours. It is a great pokemon game, 3D is stunning, and the pokemon model each have their own painstakingly accurate description of their personalities in Poke Amie. Doesn't really make me feel like a kid with a SP and link cable, but it is still good. 7th badge will considered "finished" when I have beaten the league and have a 6 pokemon competitive team.

2.Attack of the Friday Monsters:A Tokyo Tale 3DS~5 Hours Completed Incredible game the wistfulness of childhood has never been captured as well as it has it this game. The rag-tag group of kids with little knowledge of anything without their sphere of influence who have fun watching awesome monster shows and pretending to save the world. Coupled with a amazing soundtrack (DAT OPENING) and a card mini game makes it one of the best downloads on my 3DS. Makes me want to play the Boku no Natsuyasumi series.

3.Costume Quest PC~1:30 Hours- A little quirky game from double fine that I never got around to playing. It is a nice change of pace to play a quick and sweet
PUN INTENDED
RPG. Nothing out of the ordinary, the combat is cool and the animations have a lot of work for a Downloadable game. Since this is Double writing is excellent.

3.Dear Esther PC~2Hours: If I can say anything about this game I can say without a doubt it is one of the most beautiful games I have played on anything. Environments are lush and the feeling of walking around ghost towns adds a brooding sense of adventure.
Definitely Looking up the wiki after I finished.

4.Fairy Bloom Fressia~30 min - What a rush. I picked this game up for 1$ from some indie sale and cant believe how good it is. The combat is look responsive and tight and the combos weave together seamlessly like a real brawler should. Looking forward to blistered thumbs.

5.Final Fantasy VIII PC~ 8 Hours- Replaying it an I am seeing it in a whole new perspective. Not from the eyes of a 10 year old. Really great game, the pre rendered graphics still hold up and the combat is just as I remember.

6.Hotline Miami PC~1:10 Hours- A fun
rage inducing
game to help blow off some steam. Suppper violent and unapologetic, just pure 80's synth and adrenaline.

7.YS I PC~2 Hours- Fun, my first YS while many dislike the bumper system I really like it. It took a few, (over 20) deaths but I finally got the hang of it and the game is great. Really short thought there is only like 3 shields in the whole game. Hit LV 5 earlier

This challenge will probably give me a good reason to tackle my backlog.

Game 1: Half-Life 2 - 3hrs
It's a pretty nice game. The only thing I dislike so far, is all the floatiness in the game. I feel like I'm in space half the time.

Game 2: Guacamelee - 2hrs
One of the greater side scrolling beat em up games I've played. I wouldn't say its as good as Dust is for me, but its second to it.

Game 3: Dust An Elysian Taill - 3hrs
The best 2D side scroller beat em up I've ever played (this and Guacamelee are the only ones I have played). So many combos to do, and the story is pretty interesting so far.

Game 4: Mass Effect 2 - 7hrs
Enjoying the heck out of this game right now. It's way better then ME3 by a mile. Especially the characters, there a lot more diverse then ME2's.

Game 5: Assassin's Creed IV - 20hrs+
I'm 52% through the story, it's probably one of the best AC's I've played in a long time. Never knew the pirate theme could make such a change for an AC game.

Week 3. I'm not even sure why I've decided to maintain my current pace of THREE GAMES a week. I've been keeping track of my playtime over the past few years, and with ten days left in the month I'm pretty close to the highest number of hours I've ever played in a month, and definitely the highest number of games completed in a month at 9. I must be some kind of insane.

Child of Eden, Metal Gear Rising and Dead Rising 2 are all in the books now. Dead Rising 2 is the craziest one--over the course of two days and eight hours I put in 17 hours of play. And to think, two days ago I thought I would hate this game because of the crashes and the weird saves and the combat and whatnot--apparently I was completely wrong. That said, I think I'll be okay not playing any more Dead Rising for a while.

Next on the plate: I'm actually not sure! Too many options to list. I had this idea of finishing up a bunch of GFWL games in anticipation of its shutdown, so I might continue along that path.

Updated post here.

Hubb

3) XCOM Enemy Within

Got this during the winter sale and it got me to play through a full campaign of XCOM again. I paid 10 dollars for it, and I got my moneys worth. That being said, this is only the 3rd game I've beaten. I'm going to have to step it up if I want to beat 52 this year.

Hubb

4) Guacamelee

The snow in the east has given me a 5 day weekend basically by working from home the last two days. Blew through Guacamelee and though the humor was lost on me, the game handled well, and looked great on the Vita. Well worth it for the sale price it was being offered for.

mekes

Was a tough choice choosing game number 5. I was looking at Chrono Cross, Valkyria Chronicles, Resonance of Fate and Nier. Haven't played any of these and Chrono Cross has been in my backlog for 8 years! Opted for Nier, but this will be the year I finally play Chrono Cross :)

My hard work

LGom09

Was a tough choice choosing game number 5. I was looking at Chrono Cross, Valkyria Chronicles, Resonance of Fate and Nier. Haven't played any of these and Chrono Cross has been in my backlog for 8 years! Opted for Nier, but this will be the year I finally play Chrono Cross :)

My hard work

If you haven't heard CC's soundtrack, you're in for a treat. Same with Nier actually.

Weiss

Banned
Game 6: Metal Gear Solid - 18 hours

This took me way too long to complete, and I got locked down on most of the bosses a lot. Gonna try the other games in the series soon.

I managed to finish about 25 games last year. I might be able to double it if I consider the backlog, the additional console and the old games I haven't bought yet being cheaper. This sounds like fun!

Finished = beaten, saw credits
Completed = 100%

Games 44 - 52

Game #1: New Super Luigi U - 20 hours, 25 mins (Finished)
The first game I played this year and the first one I finished. The difficulty wasn't as intense as I expected but it was still a good ride, if a little samey. Funnier with friends/family.

Game #2: Gunman Clive - 38 mins, 52 secs (Finished)
Bought this and Pushmo due to all the recommendations they were getting. I like this one a teensy bit more. It'd be a lot more if it were longer. Sequel HYPE

Game #3: Nano Assault Neo - 3 hours (Finished)
This one was also a bit short. As a twin-stick shooter, it does its job. And...yeah, just make FAST 2 already.

Game #4: Super Mario 3D World - 47 hours, 13 mins (Completed)
Hoo boy. After two years of PS3 goodness, this wonderful game brought my Mario hype right back. Going through Champion's Road with no power-ups felt sooooo satisfying. Took about 100 lives, but once you learn it you feel like a boss.

Game #5: Puppeteer - around 8 hours (Finished)
This game was, for lack of a better description, a treat. After finishing it I felt like I ate a big hearty slice of red velvet with cheesecake frosting. The physics might not be up to snuff for some, but I was really into it by the time Act 2 ended.
Kutaro for PS All-Stars 2

Game #6: Mario Tennis (3DS VC) - 11 hours, 38 mins (Finished)
Completed the tour in singles and doubles. Mario wasn't nearly as legendary as the game said, but other than that it was enjoyable. Really kicking myself for not getting it when I had a Game Boy Color. Ace would have bodied the N64 version.

Game #7: The Legend of Zelda: Wind Waker HD - 42 hours, 35 mins (Finished)
After having played a lot of OoT and Phantom Hourglass, along with a good chunk of Majora's Mask, Twilight Princess and Spirit Tracks, I didn't actually think I'd buckle down and beat a Zelda game. All I have to say is I'm really, really glad that I missed this one the first time. Because all that island stuff would've probably made me stop playing if it wasn't for the Gamepad. And now, I wanna play more Zeldas. Twilight Princess is just sitting there...

Game #8: Professor Layton and the Miracle Mask - 34 hours, 18 mins (Finished)
If I had to rank this one among the others, it'd be tied for 3rd with Last Specter, above Diabolical Box and under Curious Village. It seemed to drag more than the other games, and the flashbacks were more interesting than the present day stuff. I did like the incredibly happy ending though.
Well, the one before the real one.

Game #9: Pokemon Y - 28 hours, 20 mins (Finished)
I just had to see how much changed. A lot changed, most (if not all) of it for the better. This was the first Pokemon game I played with traded Pokemon in my party (bought it used, gotta transfer 'em all). It made everything a lot less time-wastey and easier. The added element of power also made it pretty fun. I never even used Yveltal.

Game #10: Donkey Kong Country: Tropical Freeze - 17 hours, 56 mins (Finished)
Hard Mode is still incomplete, as are the Time Trials, but I beat every normal and secret level. This is easily one of the Top 3 Wii U games. GAF has praised it enough, there's nothing I can add except I wish there was at least one Mine Cart Madness remix. If I missed it feel free to show me, cuz I didn't hear it lol

Game #11: The Wonderful 101 - 22 hours, 18 mins (Finished)
I'd been putting this one off for too long for no reason. This is easily one of the Top 3 Wii U games. The parallels to Kid Icarus: Uprising are kinda funny. It's a very pretty game with very tight, uncomfortable-at-first gameplay and a bunch of content from a very lauded developer that ended up being underrated by a lot of people that couldn't play it properly. Both games are also obviously having fun being games.

Game #12: Runner2 - 6 hours, 30 mins (Finished)
Caught it when it was on sale. A hell of a lot harder than HarmoKnight, that's for sure. I wonder how many puppies I'll be suplexing when I skip the checkpoints. But yeah, this game is sweet.

Game #13: Super Mario 3D Land - 11 hours, 48 mins (Completed)
Obtained all 5 stars on my profile. Playing this after 3D World was the right call, because I didn't realize just how much was both lost and added in the move to a home console. 3D World is still a great game, easily in the Top 3 Wii U games, but I can't help but feel I'd like it less if I played this first. By the way, S8-Crown is not that hard. I completed it with no powerups in under 60 tries.

Game #14: Red Dead Redemption - 16 hours, 51 mins (Finished)
As far as I'm concerned,
the game ended when John died. I find it more powerful if I pretend that the credits rolled at his parents' graves, and everything after was optional.
But whatever, it doesn't make the game worse. On an unrelated note, I should learn how to play poker sometime.

Game #15: God of War III - around 16 hours (Finished)
Beat it on Chaos (Very Hard). You don't actually get anything for doing this, which I didn't know. You know what else I didn't know? There isn't an NG+ in this game. Disappointing. Anyway, Chaos is pretty fun EXCEPT for the giant scorpion, which was already poorly designed without the 1-2 hit deaths. That and Hades were the hardest parts, followed by anything with satyrs.

Game #16: Professor Layton and the Azran Legacy - 25 hours, 53 mins (Finished)
This was probably the best possible way to end Layton's story, but it doesn't quite reach Unwound Future's level. This is mostly because the twists have practically no setup or foreshadowing, so they feel more "out of nowhere" than they should.
Layton having a brother, Layton's name actually being his brother's, Layton being adopted and Bronev being his dad, Emmy being a spy...all unexpected, all kinda weirdly thrown in. And Emmy's departure was a bit sloppy.
The puzzles, on the other hand, are pretty much as good as they get. This is now my second favorite Layton game.

Game #17: Kirby and the Amazing Mirror (Wii U VC) - 12 hours, 15 mins (Completed)
Got 100% completion and beat the boss rush. A solid Kirby game that becomes really good with those lovely time-saving restore points. Seriously, imagine if Samus lost Morph Ball or Ice Beam every time she got hit.

Game #18: Kirby: Triple Deluxe - 19 hours, 43 mins (Completed)
Didn't wanna add it until I 100%d it. It's a tradition with Kirby games. Anyway, yeah, this game is awesome. Although I found the main game easier than Return to Dream Land, the levels were far more charming and clever. The side games were legit. Kirby Fighters could've been sold separately as is and it would be great. This game was meatier than I expected it to be. Oh, and the new powers are cool too, even if Circus is kinda ridiculous. The part that sucked for me was getting all 256 keychains, which is one of the 100% requirements. For some reason you can't track your progress for the rare ones, so unless you make sure to get each one on the first playthrough you're likely to simply not know which ones you're missing and where to get them. I had to use a guide to keep track. Not only that, the regular keychains you pick up can be repeats. If I didn't have all my Play Coins, I'd be grinding for keychains for who knows how long. Also, the music didn't grab me too much; it seemed like the best songs were from Return to Dream Land
and SSBM

Game #19: Super Mario World (Wii U VC) - 7 hours, 36 mins (Completed)
Found all exits. It's Super Mario World. Play it if you haven't. That's all I got.

Game #20: Divekick (PS3) - I dunno, 2 hours? (Finished)
Beat Story Mode with each character, but no trophy for some reason. This game is fun in small bursts. I can't see myself devoting too much time to getting good at it.

Game #21: Mario Kart 8 - 53 hours (Finished)
I got all the gold trophies and characters, didn't bother with Time Trials and only have 41 stamps. You can guess where those 53 hours came from, right? The game is a dream (or a nightmare) online, offline is a little bare.

Game #22: Spyro the Dragon (PSN) - 7-9 hours (Completed)
Collected all the things. I grew up with a demo of this and the full Spyro 2, where I also collected all the things. Collecting all the things in this game was really easy. Its ease is my biggest complaint. The final boss
dies in 2 hits when you catch him
. Come on. I think Kirby games give me more trouble than this did. Despite that, the game held up okay. The
bass
music is amazing, the controls are solid enough and the art style makes the graphics look less dated, kinda like Crash. I did appreciate how focused this game was compared to its sequel. All the levels are pretty small and finding the dragons and gemeralds usually only takes a bit of scouring. The only quest is the one you're given in the beginning, and the only mini-games are arguably the flying levels and catching the thieves. I mean, I have no problem with mini-games, I completed Banjo-Tooie and DK64 twice each. But it's appreciated.

Game #23: Mario Golf: World Tour - 29 hours, 23 mins (Finished)
Beat Castle Club and unlocked every character, that's good enough for me. So yeah, this is probably the best Mario Golf game besides Advance Tour. It looks great and except for the camera it controls great. Hitting the ball were you want it to go has never been easier. The music is about as good as it has always been for the series and the roster is better than Mario Kart 8's which makes me laugh. I bought the Season Pass on day one, and now that everything is released, it makes an already content-rich game feel even fuller. Oh, and the online is almost perfect. Just needs voice chat. And players.

Game #24: One Finger Death Punch - 13 hours (Finished)
Completed on Student and Master. Talk about a surprise. I bought it because it was only $2.50 and the recommendation said something about making you feel like a badass. $2.50 was a steal for doing exactly that. At first I thought it was just gonna be attacking left and right, but nope. Between weapons, enemy types and the ability to have up to 5 skills active later in the game, it is WAY deeper than it should be. My favorite part was being able to turn the music off and have some DnB playing in the background. Very relaxing. If it had better presentation it'd be a masterpiece, but I'm fine with calling it a classic. The formula is begging to be expanded upon.

Game #25: Broken Age (Act 1, PC) - 5 hours (Finished)
I don't play adventure games often. It's usually just Ace Attorney or Layton or something, and those don't really count. So I bought some that were on sale during the first PS flash sale and this one during Steam's Summer Sale. This is the first one I finished. The best thing about Broken Age is the way it looks. Period. Its illustrated style is gorgeous even if the animations can be weird sometimes. I wanna reserve judgement on the story since it's only the first part (and what a cliffhanger that was!), but the writing wasn't bad and I liked pretty much every character, especially Vella. The game was a little easy though. I got stuck near the end because I missed a pickup from earlier on, but you can just go back and get it.

Game #26: Kirby's Adventure (Wii U VC) - 5 hours, 6 mins (Completed)
100% completion, not bothering with Extra mode. It's so weird going from Super Star and its sequels to this. This is the hardest Kirby game I've played so far because I'm so used to stuff like jumping multiple times and more responsive controls in general. That said, this is a damn impressive NES game. Because it came out so late the developers just went balls deep with the graphics, sound and content. There's no collectibles but there's still mini-games and a completion percentage, which is awesome. There's a reason a lot of Kirby music is basically remixes or re-imaginings of the music from this game. Same thing with the enemies. Playing this was a good learning experience for me as a Kirby fan.

Game #27: Pushmo - 22 hours, 49 mins (Finished)
Beat all the main puzzles. I didn't expect it to take as long as it did, but I guess it's a good thing. Really gave my brain a workout. Many times I thought a maneuver was impossible but it turned out I was missing something really simple. I'm down for more of this.

Game #28: Shovel Knight (Wii U) - 4 hours, 39 mins, 4 secs (Finished)
55 deaths, 80% items. A very nice melding of old aesthetics and modern design. You can tell a bunch of love went into this one. And now Shovel Knight can be in the next Smash Bros. cuz he's awesome. I do plan on getting 100% items and I'll update this when I do.

Game #29: Super Stardust HD - 10 hours, 6 mins, 35 secs (Finished)
Fun fun fun! Just fun times. So much polish. It took me 20 tries at Arcade mode to beat it on Hard. It's a shame you can't just start on Hard after you beat it. I doubt I'll make it past Elite because of it. Also, this game is too pretty sometimes, to the point where I get nicked by a tiny piece of rock that looks like a particle.

Game #30: New Super Mario Bros. U - 7 hours, 1 min (Finished)
I didn't even do every stage. This is what I get for playing the DLC first. The only reason I even bothered to get this was for the Challenges, and I haven't done any of those either. But I'll count it as finished.

Game #31: HarmoKnight - 10 hours, 38 mins (Completed)
I started it last April and forgot I could use it for this list so I got on my ass and got Greats on every single stage in Normal and Fast speeds. I'm glad I did, because the last world is challenging. I had to put headphones on to do the Fast ones, which I didn't have to do for any others. I also found the message at the end of World 8 about new games to be pretty cute. Now to wait for the sequel that better happen.

Game #32: Rayman Legends (PC) - 16 hours (Completed)
Got all Diamonds and the gold Lum trophy thingies. If you liked Origins and didn't like this, you probably played the Wii U version. No auto-nonsense here. I did find it strange that about half of the game IS Origins, but since I didn't get to play that in HD I was okay with it. But those music stages!

Game #33: Pac-Man Championship Edition DX+ (PC) - 8 hours (Finished)
Got at least a B on every stage in every mode, as well as all the really easy achievements, but not all the medals. Damn man, this game got everything right: visuals, music, menus, controls, gameplay...wouldn't change a thing. The leaderboards are screwed though.

Game #34: Pushmo World - 16 hours, 47 mins (Finished)
Beat all the main and Mysterious puzzles. Well, I wanted more and I got it. I was expecting more challenging Mysterious puzzles near the end because they introduce all these different blocks, but then they ignore them. They should've mixed it up. There could easily have been 80 Mysterious puzzles. That's my only real complaint. I didn't mind the samey-ness as much as I thought I would, but that's probably because it's so cheap.

Game #35: Spyro 2: Ripto's Rage! (PSN) - roughly 11 hours (Completed)
Collected all the things. I grew up with this game and cared enough to 100% it back then and now. The dynamic between the first and second Spyros reminds me a little of the first and second Banjo-Kazooie games. When it comes to Tooie, I've heard many complaints about it being riddled with mini-games, being a bit too big and framerate problems. These are all present in Spyro 2 to some extent, although the framerate may be emulation or something; it has been a while since I've played the real deal. You know what else Spyro 2 and Tooie have in common? Better boss battles. In Spyro's case, MUCH better boss battles. It's a shame there aren't that many of them. But anyway, the game is still good. Music is still boss, controls are less slippery, camera's mostly better, Hunter's still a piece of shit and it's still pretty easy to complete. It just takes longer. Oh, and I slightly prefer the original voice to Fry. No, but really, Hunter's a bastard, you know I need the orbs why are you making me play games what are you even using them for holy shit you're the dumbest goddamn worse than Moneybags
okay not quite but still

Game #36: Spyro: Year of the Dragon (PSN) - roughly 16 hours (Completed)
Collected all the things. Insomniac really tried to attain a happy medium with this one. It has some influences of the first game (only collecting gems and eggs, unlocking chests, flying to new hubs, the bonus world) and a bunch from the second (mini-games, cutscenes, returning characters, powerups, bosses). Spyro 3's biggest addition is what prevents it from being my favorite: new playable characters. It was neat on paper but it fell a bit flat in practice. Controls were the main problem. Bentley controlled well because he was slow and accurate. Sheila had an awkward but serviceable jumping mechanic. Sgt. Byrd controlled like a drone in the air and without the aim assist he'd be terrible to shoot with. Agent 9...oh lord, Agent 9. You don't use him much, but when you do the fun level drops hard. I find it hilarious that the company that made Ratchet & Clank screwed up strafing so badly. All he needed was a good strafe and no FPS segments and he'd be fine. Then there's Sparx with his shmup style, which was probably the best one overall. If it was just Spyro, Sparx, Bentley and maybe Sheila stages, this would be my favorite Spyro game, but I'm gonna have to give it to the second one. Oh, and they fixed Hunter. Yey.

Game #37: Lethal League - 20 hours (Finished)
Beat Challenge mode with everybody and got 77% of the achievements. Playing with the computer is no fun after playing online. That's why this took so long. I can't remember the last time I had so much fun playing with balls. The roster could use some fattening up though.

Game #38: Retro/Grade (PS3) - around 3 hours (Finished)
Beat the campaign on Pro, planned on doing Challenge mode but stopped. It was neat for the first hour or so, but as the levels went by I realized that although I was getting accuracy ratings of 97% and up on the first go, it didn't feel like I was. The game lacks the feedback necessary for a rhythm game to feel like you're doing something. Getting a note perfectly timed and getting a note well timed feel pretty much the same as the game doesn't tell or show you until you're done. Taking damage doesn't seem to mean anything; I died once but I just rewound and tried again, never using the rewind again for the remainder. The parts where you dodge obstacles aren't rhythm-based at all and end up being boring as a result. And a challenge mode isn't exactly a good idea when many of the challenges take the same amount of time as a normal playthrough of a level. I'll give it props: the music was pretty good and the graphics were nice.

Game #39: Toki Tori 2+ - 13 hours (Finished)
Chirped my way to the credits. Don't let the look fool you, this game prides itself on letting you figure out as much as you can on your own, and I respect it for that. But then again Miiverse is a thing, so resisting the urge is tough. My time played might be a bit too much.

Game #40: Fez (PC) - 4 hours (Finished)
For a game with such limited mechanics, the sense of exploration and discovery is top notch. Knowing nothing about the game except who made it and its gimmick, this surprised me. Its length didn't bother me either since there wasn't much to do with said gimmick. The ending was...something. The added ability in NG+ is solely for the curious. I don't know if there's anything else you get, but I would hope so. If the sequel got made I wouldn't be in any hurry to play it unless there were more movement options.

Game #41: Super Smash Bros. for 3DS - 109 hours, 8 mins (Finished)
Got all the characters and "completed" all the challenges. I'm STILL unlocking custom parts and trophies. I wish the two versions didn't release so close together but whatever. Smash Bros. is my favorite game series so more is always welcome. However, it does feel like somewhat of a step down from previous releases in terms of content, the custom parts nonsense is annoying (you should not be able to unlock duplicate custom moves, plain and simple), the lack of Ice Climbers bothered me a lot more than I thought it would and the controls take some getting used to. I'm really wondering what kind of force people are using to break their Circle Pads. Reminds me of the Wiimote strap stuff from back then.

Game #42: Tales of Monkey Island (PSN) - between 15-20 hours (Finished)
Decided to try out another adventure game while it was only a buck. I don't usually jump into a long series on the most recent game, and this didn't really help change my mind. It felt like I was missing a lot. Even though many past references were lacking vagueness, I feel like a good chunk of the humor came from just knowing, ya know? It was still a pretty funny game regardless, and the puzzles weren't bad for the most part. I also really liked Morgan's character
and I'd love to see more of her. So glad she got to come back to the real world

Game #43: Crash Team Racing (PSN) - between 6-8 hours (Finished)
100%'d Adventure mode, didn't touch anything else. Wanna know where I stand on the whole kart racer debate? This is where it peaked. Every other kart racer since has been anywhere between a few steps (Sonic & All-Stars Racing Transformed) to a large number of steps (oh man, Crash Tag Team Racing) down mechanically. It still has the best item system and it still has the best boost system. It meshes with its source material about as well as Mario Kart does, which is very. Its track design is still great. It has an Adventure mode. It's awesome. The music could be more memorable (Mario Kart's and especially Diddy Kong Racing's music demolishes this one), the difficulty ceiling could be a little higher (I liked how hard SASRT could get) and the sense of speed is a bit off (again, SASRT had this down). Plus it's a PS1 game, so it could use a new coat of paint somethin' fierce. An HD re-release with online would get all the love.

Update:

Game 1: Tomb Raider III: Adventures of Lara Croft - PC - 13:34:22
All levels (including All Hallows) complete along with all secrets found. If it wasn't for the unlimited saves on the PC version I don't think I would've had the patience to finish this one. Definitely felt like the "Demon/Dark Souls" of the Tomb Raider series.

Game 2: The Legend of Zelda: A Link Between Worlds - 3DS - 10:06
Main story along with some random side quests complete with zero deaths. While this wasn't my favorite 2D Zelda title (I only prefer it to the DS games) I definitely enjoyed this more than any Zelda game since Wind Waker.

Game 3: Rain - PS3 - ~3:30
I was quite disappointed with this one. The atmosphere and graphics were great but overall it just felt really repetitive. It was definitely worth the price I paid in the sale still.

Game 4: Resident Evil: Director's Cut - PS1 - 3:18:08 **
Played through as Jill. This was my very first time completed the Arrange mode.
-------------------------

Now playing (with overall progress for each game):
Eternal Sonata (PS3) - Started chapter 3.
Phoenix Wright Ace Attorney: Trials and Tribulations (DS) - About halfway through case 3

On hold:
Tomb Raider: The Last Revelation (PC) - Up to level 17 (The Lost Library) with all secrets collected so far.
Cook, Serve, Delicious (PC) - Up to a 4 star restaurant, all unlocked side jobs/events completed.
Saints Row IV (PC) - Completed a story mission or two and spent some time running around and collecting orbs. Missed the chance to finish this during free weekend due to PC issues so this may or may not be completed later.

PC games are more or less on hold until I can figure out what is going on with my CPU.

(** = a replay/game that I've previously completed before)
Original post updated.

Bankoiia

Update!

Game #4 - Gunman Clive 53 minutes
Finished the game on January 23rd.
This one went by in a flash, but had enough time to introduce a myriad of different platforming concepts with inspiration clearly taken from games such as Mario, Mega Man, Donkey Kong etc. I actually wish more time was spent on some of the concepts which could have easily doubled the amount of play time. Nonetheless, great platforming and enjoyable bosses. I'll probably run through it again on Hard.

My updated post

Yasawas

Burying yet more nuts (completed games) in the dirt for winter (Dark Souls 2) coming.

Game 7: Professor Layton & the Azran Legacy (3DS) - Completed 23/1/14. 16:52

Utterly superb. My favourite of the series and a massive improvement over Miracle Mask which was slow to get going, then slow once it did get going and had kid kind of a rubbish plot all through it too. Despite reservations at the start over how many sliding block shenanigans it doles out initially (not my strong point) it zips along and delivers varied and strong puzzley goods time and again. As a series where the story has always felt to me like an afterthought to tie the puzzles together I did not see an ending as strong as that last two or three hours here coming at all - magical stuff L5, well played. You will be missed Professor.

Original post.

jf DOOM

Game 4-Brothers (4 hours)

Short and Sweet. Finished it in one sitting. The controls were give me some trouble at the beginning but by the end it just clicked. Loved the story, thought it was an amazing experience all together.

GLuigi

Game #1: Pokemon: White Version 2 - 49 hours
I enjoyed this game more than X/Y mostly because of how many things you can do on the side while you are on the quest to become the Pokemon champion. The amount of exploring you can do in this game is pretty big. There is almost always an optional cave or area where you can dig around and find something good.

Game #2: Persona 4 Golden - 64 hours
Went for a Max Social Link run, but didn't succeed. Oh well, i'm sure it will be really easy to do on NG+. It really good port, and I enjoyed all the extra features the game had to offer.

Game #3: Bugs vs. Tanks! - 5 Hours
Started out alright, but quickly becomes a little dull for me. Really hated the missions where you can't fire at all, it made it really easy for the bugs to gain up on you with no ways of escaping except for using your support attack (Which you can only use once per mission).

Game #4: The Starship Damrey - 3 Hours
I personally enjoyed this one, I would love to play another game like this. The lore you unlock in this game is a pretty good read and gives the game some more charm.

Game #5: Gravity Rush - 15 hours
Had more fun with this game then I originally thought. It took a bit of time to get used to the gravity controls but isnt too bad once you get a hang of it. I had a lot of fun just sliding around the city and see how fast I can get from one end of the map to the other. Anyways I will probably pick up the sequel whenever that comes out.

Game #6: Shin Megami Tensei: Persona - 51 Hours
Finished the SEBEC route on normal. Geez are there a lot of elements to keep track of! I thought it was an okay game overall, I wish they toned down the encounter rate. It got pretty annoying running into a battle every 5 steps. Anyways on to Persona 2!

Game #7: Touch My Katamari - 2 Hours
Geez, this game is really short. It was pretty fun while it lasted. I didn't really used the new touch control option, the thought of using it just seems like a bad time.

Game #8: Deus Ex: Human Revolution Director's Cut - 27 Hours
Beaten on "Give me a Challenge". I will slowly replay this some other time for the commentary.Had a lot of fun with this, makes me want to go and play the original.

Game #9: Dragon's Crown - 22 Hours
Beaten the normal difficulty with the Elf, slowly moving on to Hard. I would probably put more hours into it if I had more friends to play this with, but the single player experience wasn't too bad.

Game #10: Killer Is Dead - 9 Hours
Beaten on normal difficulty. Probably my favorite Grasshopper hack and slash game in terms of gameplay. The story was all over the place, and made me go "what the heck?" at the end.

Game #11: Chibi-Robo Photo Finder - 17 Hours
As much as I wanted to like this game, the lackluster 3DS camera was really difficult to work with especially at night. The later film you obtain are such a grindfest and God forbid if any of those turn into Nostalduds

Game # 12: Tom Clancy's Splinter Cell: Conviction - 10 hours
It was an okay game, all the removed features and bland stages made the game feel a little hollow. The best part of the game for me was the soundtrack and how sometimes the soundtrack itself takes over the audio to the point where you cant hear gunshots/ environment noise to kind of show Sam's feelings.

Game #13: Danganronpa: Trigger Happy Havoc - 44 Hours
Had a blast with this game, the ending could of been a bit better. The touch controls that were added to the Vita version makes the trials a lot easier. I will probably go for the Platinum trophy after I finish this challange. I can't wait for the sequel! As of 4/7/14 I finally got the platinum trophy!

Game #14: Bravely Default - 94 Hours
A great game, I really liked the Brave/Default mechanics and i spent countless hours just playing with different class combos. I almost lost interest half way through the game but the moments during the final boss fight is worth the hassle.

Game #15: Myst - 9 Hours
Played the 3DS version, which is probably the worst version you could play. Only reason I bought it was that it almost cost me nothing. The controls for it is just plain awful, who thought it was a good idea to use the circle pad to navigate around? This game would of been a little bit more enjoyable if you could of use the touch screen. On top of that, almost all of the notes you find laying around are almost unreadable. I had to look up a guide to see what some of them said. The puzzle themselves were pretty satisfying to solve. But yeah I should of probably just played it on PC.

Game #16: Sonic and All Stars Racing Transformed - 35 hours
100% career mode. Had an alright time playing this, I really love how amazingly fast you can go after a few drifting boost. All my problems with the game have to do with the boat sections. It just seems like there are so many ways to screw yourself over whenever you are in boat mode (i.e Capsizing, going under the water too much which cancels the boost you get from doing mid air tricks)

Game #17: The Wonderful 101 - 23 Hours
Now that was a fun game, I can't remember the last time I laughed hard at a game. For some reason it felt like I played longer than 23 hours. I couldn't get used to doing the morph with the right control stick so i just stuck with the touch screen on the gamepad the whole time. I think the game does a great job in having a lot of variety in the gameplay, without the variety this game would of felt really slow.

Game #18: Metal Gear Solid V: Ground Zeroes - 3 hours
Finished the main mission in 2 hours and spent another hour doing some of the unlockable side missions. The controls and driving around feels really great and I can't wait for Phantom Pain to be out. Having a smart device to display the map and other things was fun to use. I just wish there was more story in there or rather have more things that we haven't seen yet. All the cutscenes in the game was just stuff that was already shown in the trailers. Im surprised how much I replayed the game, getting those S ranks is a lot of fun. I'm hungry for more.

Game #19: Dysfunctional Systems: Learning To Manage Chaos - 5 Hours
Got all the achievements, I like where the story is headed. Hopefully the next one will feature more dialogue choices.

Game #20: Street Fighter X Tekken - 30 Hours
Finished Arcade mode with everyone, and spent a good amount of time playing online. Overall the game was average for me, I didn't really care too much for the gem system.

Game #21: Blazing Angels 2: Secret Missions of WWII - 15 Hours
Had a blast with this game. I'am really happy that they weren't any BS missions this time around. I was also really glad that you got to go to cool places this time around (San Francisco, Cairo, Moscow to name a few). If they made a third game I would buy it on day one.

Game #22: Shadows of the Damned - 9 Hours
This was a game, going in, I didn't think I would enjoy but I'm surprised how much fun I had by the end of the game. The conversations between Garcia and Johnson just adds to the charm of the game. I might want to go for the Platinum trophy since I'm nearly there, but kinda sad that the difficulty trophies/achievements don't stack.

Game #23: Sid Meier's Ace Patrol - 7 Hours
Fun, quick game. All the bite sized missions made it my go to game whenever I was waiting for my next class. The game didn't feel to heavy on the strategy so it was something I could play whenever I wanted to just relax and not really think. Being able to edit your pilot's name and airplane was a nice touch, allowed me to make up my own Star Fox scenario/story. I can't wait to dive into Pacific Skies.

Game #24: Metal Gear Rising: Revengeance - 8 Hours
RULES OF NATURE - Time is approximate since the total time they show you at the end of the game doesn't count the cutscene. My total playtime on that screen was nearly 6 hours. After watching Chipcheezum's playthrough of it, I just had to pick it up. It only took me 20 minutes into the game until I had to question myself " Why did I put off buying this game for so long?" Parrying things felt great, doing all the things I learned from Chip's LP felt great, just everything about this game feels really great.

Game #25: Shin Megami Tensei: Persona 2: Innocent Sin - 48 Hours
Much better than the first Persona game. Although, even on hard, this game felt incredibly easy. I have to say the end of the game was quite an experience. Also i love the soundtrack in this game I don't how much time I wasted on just chilling on the city menu screen.

Game #26: Persona 2: Eternal Punishment - 51 Hours
Got really confused with the UI on my first battle. " NO! Why am I only using weapon attacks right now ?!". Still fun, but the high encounter rate wore me out fast. I still wish they would find a way to localize the PSP version. Anyways that's enough Persona for me for now.

Game #27: Rayman Origins - 15 Hours
Usually platformers frustrate me a lot, but this game was really relaxing especially with the fantastic soundtrack. Game has great controls, and the co-op is really fun to mess around with. Had a weird bug where the audio cuts out every few deaths and then I have to restart the game to get the audio back. Not sure if I want to dive right into Rayman Legends just yet.

Game #28:Star Fox 64 3D - 4 Hours
Beaten 3 times with every stage accomplished. Really solid remake,but I haven't had the chance to try out the new gyro controls yet. It just sounds like a bad time.

Game #29: The Walking Dead - 14 Hours
Played the Vita version, I didn't think it was that bad of a port. The stuttering never really bothered me until the later half of Chapter 5 where I kept messing up on a certain QTE event. Even though I already knew what was going on the game due to watching an LP of it prior to playing this, I kept on tearing up on some occasions. Great story and great characters, I can't wait to play Season 2.

Game #30: Sid Meier's Ace Patrol: Pacific Skies - 12 Hours
Solid sequel. More abilities and missions are always nice. Still a nice average game you can just pick up and play for a quick 5 minutes and feel pretty satisfied. One weird thing I noticed about the game was that sometimes I would have enemies run away from battle (Forced Landing) for no reason at all.

Game #31: Conception II: Children of the Seven Stars - 59 Hours
I wish I can like this game more, but game felt boring and too repetitive for me. I got so bored with the game, that I couldn't bring myself to finish the last 4 sub dungeons. Dungeons in the game are absolutely the worst, and while the battle system is interesting it just falls short of being fun. I had a pretty good time bonding with the heroines. Narika and Ellie had the more interesting events imo. I will probably skip the sequel if they ever make one.

Game #32: Kirby Super Star Ultra - 7 Hours
Short and sweet game. I had a lot of fun with the buddy system especially when playing with some friends. My favorite part of the game was playing as Meta Knight, I had a lot fun just rushing through all the levels.

Game #33: Alpha Protocol - 18 Hours
This game has a lot potential, but the mediocre shooting mechanics and terrible boss fights brings it down. I did generally had fun just running up to people with my high endurance/ high close combat character and just beating the enemies up. The dialogue choices was done pretty well, and i had a lot of fun to see what kind of effect it had on the game. Also there were a ton of bugs in the game. One in particular was that I kept getting stuck on the stairs. Overall I had a pretty okay time with this game.

Game #34: Kirby: Triple Deluxe - 12 Hours
69% Completion rate, obtained all the Sun Stones, and collected 112 Keychains. I had so much fun with this game. I felt that this has a good balance of enjoyment and some decent challenges. The boss fights never felt too hard or too easy. The new powers were fun to use as well, I kept using the Bell power for most of the bosses. Aside from the main game, there are a good variety of sub-games to play (Although i have yet to try out Kirby Fighters). I will definitely come back to this just to listen the music (oh and also get the other keychains ,I guess).

Game #35: Long Live the Queen - 3 Hours
Fun game to fool around with. Planning out which skills you need to level up, and which choices you should make takes a lot of trial and error. The outcomes of your choices are pretty interesting, At times, I found myself wanting to load to my previous save and see what happens if i choose the other choice. I only wish that it was easier to bring up the log instead of having to wait until the next in-game week to open it up. I will definitely go back to this game and check out some of the other achievements in this game.

Game #36: Tom Clancy's Ghost Recon: Shadow Wars - 21 Hours
I wasn't expecting anything special from this game, but i was surprised how much i enjoyed playing this game. This game has a good amount of depth to it, the one thing i liked the most was the easy level up system they had. It was nice not to worry about anyone being a lot weaker than the rest. The sub missions were a lot of fun since you had a limited number of people you can bring to those missions. On a side note: Just like Pokemon X/Y this game just eats through your battery like its nothing.

Game #37: JoJo's Bizarre Adventure: All Star Battle - 20 Hours
Its a fantastic fan service game, Cyberconnect2 does a great job bringing these characters to life. As a fighting game, it just feels off to me compared to other fighters. This is definitely a fighting game where you shouldn't get really competitive with since Cyberconnect2's main priority was to make it a good fan service game rather than a polished fighting game (I know I read this somewhere, but for the life of me I can't remember where). I had a really good time just having a bunch of friends over and just messing around with this game.

Game #38: Papers, Please - 9 Hours
I was going into this game expecting to not really enjoy this game, but I had a pleasant time with it. I didn't think i would find some fun in inspecting passports. I had to start over a couple times due to running out of money all the time ( later I would realize that I could choose to not pay for certain things).Whenever the game forces some choice on you, you constantly have to think if you should follow the rules, or take pity on the unfortunate, or if you should you do something just so you can provide for your family. I kinda wish that some of the choices you make would determine how the next day would go ( i.e. constantly detain someone from a certain nation could cause an attack the next day or possibly could make people from that nation to try to bribe you), but that's probably just me thinking about that.

Game #39: Cook, Serve, Delicious! - 21 Hours
Such an addicting game. I always try to play this game in small sessions, but I always seem to find myself playing 5+ hours every time. The fast paced gameplay along with some nice variety to it, makes it a pretty darn good game.The challenges in the game were good enough to put you through a struggle. On a side note, I found myself making less mistakes with typing stuff on a keyboard ever since I started playing.

Game #40: Gone Home - 2 Hours
The house was bigger than I expected. I had a pleasant experience with this game. Story-wise the first half of the game takes it nice and slow (a bit too slow for me) and allows you to soak up the atmosphere. It isn't until the second half of the game where the game starts to show you what it can it really do with the story.
End game spoilers:
I really enjoyed the last few moments of the game. Seeing all the poisonous items in the safe and seeing the creepy secret room in the foyer made me assume the worst. I got all soft once i got to the ending, glad to see that Sam got to do what she wanted to do. If there ever was a sequel to this, it would be neat if it was in modern day and you are playing as Sam going back to the parent's home for the first time in awhile after her parents have finally accepted her relationship. This time, something has happened to Katie and throughout the game you will see what has happened to the family over the years.

Game #41: Final Fantasy IV - 32 Hours
The DS version. Had to buy another copy since one of my friends lost my original copy. It feels really good to play my favorite FF game once again (Mind you, I haven't played every single FF game yet). The best thing I liked about the game play were the boss fights. Most of the bosses had some kind of gimmick you could expose, which made it stand out from the other bosses in the FF games i played (I, II, III). Story-wise, I always like the symbolism of Cecil's development in the game
Starting out as a Dark Knight and later becoming a Paladin
. Overall the game felt shorter than what I remembered, although that's probably cause the only side quests i bothered doing were: Excalibur, Throwing Knife, Boss fights to get more summons for Rydia, Getting everyone's best gear, and making sure i got 100% on all maps.

Game #42: Deus Ex - 23 Hours
That main theme is godlike. Anyways, I can't believe I waited so long to play this game. I should have played it sooner. This game has by far the best level design than any game on my list. I had so much fun with exploring every inch of each level and completing each objective with the freedom to handle the situation any way I see fit. Best part of the game for me was being creative whenever I don't have the preferred tools to handle a certain situation. Don't have any EMP grenades or multitools to deal with laser tripwires? No problem, use some pepper spray or use a physical object to get by.
Or use the quicksave trick :p
. Don't have any lockpicks to open a door? Be simple, just find a window and break it. There were a couple times when I had to redo a section over because the game crashed. But to be honest, I didn't really mind. It was pretty fun to redo sections and see if I can handle a situation in a different way. The story was enjoyable was well, it really adds to the atmosphere of the game. I will definitely play Invisible War soon. Hopefully it isn't as bad as everyone says it is.

Game #43: Final Fantasy III - 35 Hours
Man those last few dungeons were really challenging. This was my third time plaything through the game, but only my first time finishing it. I always seem to lose interest every time I hit the last few dungeons. The job system was pretty fun to play around with. While the grinding was a bit tedious, I personally didn't mind it too much.

Game #44: Tales of Symphonia - 52 Hours
This game started out a bit slow, but when the first major plot twist finally came around I got hooked on it. The battle system is pretty simple, and battles with the regular goons doesn't drag too long. The dungeons were boring, but at the same time they were pretty short. I like how much substance the sidequests have in terms of story with a few of them highlighting one of the main characters. I didn't get a chance to get some of the endgame sidequests done since the final parts of the main story was too good to pull away. Overall I had a really good time with this game. I would definitely go back and aim for a 100% completion.

Game #45: Kid Icarus: Uprising - 11 Hours
I can only play this game in short bursts. If I play for more than an hour, my left wrist starts to hurt like crazy. Anyways, the flying battles felt like one of those motion simulator attractions in amusement parks. Overall the game was enjoyable to play. The levels were always packed with action and whenever there was some dead air in the game, the somewhat charming humor helps keep things going along. The game has a good amount of replay value in form of alternate paths (When playing on higher difficulites), tons of collectibles, and multiplayer.

Game #46: Yakuza 3 - 27 Hours
First time playing a Yakuza game. There is so much to do in this game, I got a bit overwhelmed in the beginning. The combat gets a bit repetitive at first, but there is a lot of stuff you can unlock later ( skills, moves and different kinds of weapons) that mixes things up nicely. Kiryu Kazuma is starting to become one of my favorite video game characters. Anyways, I should go back and try to finish all the substories on my next playthrough ( I felt like I missed a lot :/). Its a shame they cut out some content in the US release. I wouldn't mind taking the time to learn how to play Mahjong.

Game #47: Theatrhythm Final Fantasy - 7 Hours
I decided to play this game to see if I wanted to pre-order the sequel. I may not be a big Final Fantasy fan, but I really enjoyed all the music that was presented in this game. The touch screen controls felt really good, I never felt like the game didn't register my swiping motions correctly. I can see myself spending more time with this game with all the unlockable content that the game offers (Songs, Characters, Collectibles). I can't wait to play the sequel.

Game #48: Hotline Miami - 7 Hours
This game is way too addicting, I didn't think I would finish this in one sitting.What I like most about this game was the fast gameplay and how smooth the controls were. Having a character who dies in one hit gives the game a nice challenge and creates a unique tense atmosphere. The levels never felt too long, which caused me to have this " Oh I can probably finish this off next time" mentality (which is probably the main reason why I finished this in one sitting). As you walk back to your car and see the gruesome gory death that is laid before you, you will always gives you that satisfaction of accomplishment for finishing a level. I need to get my hands on the soundtrack soon, I can just play that music for almost anything. Im really looking foward to see all the neat stuff they added to Hotline Miami 2.

Game #49: Tomodachi Life - 87 Hours
Woah, I wasn't expecting to spend so much time on this game. To sum up Tomodachi Life, I would probably say this game is pretty much one of those Tamagotchi pets except with a lot more personality and no penalties if you decide to not play for a few days. For some reason its just so interesting to see your Miis live out their everyday lives and see all the crazy/weird stuff they do. On the other hand, the game feel a little bit bare. The game could definitely use some well thought out mini games (or in other words, daily activities). I guess you can say that overall the game just needs a little bit more of everything. At the same time, the game can produce a lot of unique experiences so that each player has their own moments that is special to them. Anyways, I will probably sink more hours into this game. Heck, I will probably make it to 100 hours of total gameplay time.

50-52

Ceallach

Smells like fresh rosebuds
Game 6: Assassin's Creed 3. Steam has 45 hours logged in, but I think I left it running when I went to sleep and work or something.

Just incredibly underwhelmed. Not a fan at all. I had to force myself through it. If it weren't for this thread, I don't think I would have. I have the Tyranny DLC but I don't know if I want to handle it.

Games in progress: Mega Man Powered Up(PSP-playing on Vita), and starting Catherine

Dropped_Off

Neo Member
Game 1: Digital Devil Saga 2 - 21hrs
# Both this and the first game I played back to back, and boy was it an amazing experience. DDS2 improved in every regard in comparison to its predecessor, and added more.

Game 2: To The Moon (The Bonus Episode) - 20mins
# Short and sweet, cannot wait for A Bird Story

Game 3: Metal Gear Rising - 17hrs
# Managed to beat the entire game on hard, and the DLC missions. This game stands as my first entry into the Metal Gear series, and one of the few character action games I've played. Each boss fight was amazingly enjoyable, and the soundtrack only helped exacerbate that feeling, even on my 20th attempt of the final fight, that music helped keep me going. I'll probably look at getting back into this game, by attempting some no-damage runs on revengeance difficulty.

Game 4: Grisaia no Kajitsu - ~40hrs
# Well, that was an enjoyable ride. Now to wait for the sequels to be translated, or to finish learning Japanese whatever comes first.

Game 5: Ico - 5.5hrs
# A sweet, and short game. It was kind of nice playing a game that didn't have a single prompt in it. It was quite a relaxing experience going through the motions.

Game 6: Ys: Memories of Celceta - 25hrs
# Beaten on nightmare, overall this game was pretty enjoyable, however, near the end it did start to get pretty easy for the bosses.

Game 7: Sharin no Kuni, Himawari no Shoujo - ~20hrs
# Oh god, those twists in the final chapter, all of them. Isono is such a great sidekick, and Hozuki just exudes all over my screen at all times. In any light, it was a pretty wonderful read, there were a full lulls in the middle of the game with Touka's character route, but otherwise enjoyable.

Game 8: Sharin no Kuni, Yuukyuu no Shonenshoujo - ~10hrs
# I'll probably do one epilogue, before deciding whether it's worth my time to finish the rest. Otherwise, damn Hozuki's chapter was amazing, and really helped flesh out his character, and that ending.

Game 9: DanganRonpa 1 - 15.5hrs
# That last chapter had some wonderful twists, as did the rest of the game. It was a nice length too, didn't drag out too long for each part, I might fiddle around in the School Mode portion a bit.

Game 10: Splinter Cell: Conviction - 6hrs
# Just ran through the whole game in co-op, it was pretty fun playing with a friend. But, otherwise I have no idea what that whole co-op mission was about, or why; and tha ending. Seriously, maybe the single player is better, but i'm doubting whether or not to bother with it.

Game 11: Valkyrie Profile 2 - 35hrs
# I was suprised at how much I enjoyed this game, it had some amazing scenes, even though some cutscenes were a bit awkward. The VA was great for the most part. Although, it did start to get a bit funky around the end of chapter 5,
but damn Lezard had some funny faces near the end.

Game 12: Toukiden - 30hrs
# A pretty enjoyable game for what it set out to be. I completed the main story primarily, and might come back to it later if my backlog decrease slightly. Compared to Soul Sacrifice I enjoyed this quite a bit more, since I'm a fan of the Monster Hunter series, although I've only recently played Tri on the Wii and MHFU. The story was a little lackluster, but it looked quite nice, played smoothly. However, I wish it was a tad more challenging.

13: Project Diva F - 6hrs
# It's been a while since I last played a rythm game, that being Guitar Hero 3. But I must say, I actually enjoyed this a lot more than I thought I would, the majority of the songs I hadn't heard previously, so I got some nice music along the ride. But boy was some of the songs on higher difficulties a nightmare. I'm unsure about getting the sequel, but I'll see in due course.

14: Disgaea 3 - 24hrs
# Post-game content ahoy.

15: Metal Slug 3 - 3hrs
# It was a burst of nostalgia playing this, as I remember playing it on an arcade machine back when I was a kid near a Galaxy World we had at the local mall. It actually was somewhat challenging, partially due to being used to these types of games for so long, but playing through co-op with a friend was a blast.

16: Steins;Gate - 20hrs
# I'd have to rate this quite highly, I haven't played a VN yet where every single moment of it was enjoyable to some degree. The overarching story also managed to keep me hooked, and it was interesting how it coincided with my style of play. As I did feel a slight amount of disconnect from the world, due to doing each of the character routes as they arrived. But, I can see how some people would find certain points in the story to be a bit lackluster in comparison, or slower if you will. It still managed to hold my interest, even though I played it at an odd time (exam period). I would certainly recommend it to anyone who has an interest in the genre, as it is a good starting point.

17: Demon's Souls - 20hrs
# Even though I've owned the PC version of Dark Souls shortly after it's release, I never played more than the first few minutes of it. So this would be my first experience of the Souls series, and boy was it something. After the first few hours, and getting adjusted to it, it didn't end up as difficult as I thought it would be. But that might be more due to the fact of how strong and abusable range can be. But the presentation of the world, and few characters was extremely well done. I'm still not sure what to take from the ending though, and I'll have to consider it for a few more days before finally coming to any conclusion.
I did end up at the point where the last two worlds (4 & 5) seemed much easier than the previous ones, and I breezed through both in a single short sitting. I realise there is a lot more to the world I missed on my first playthrough, partially due to playing a PWT character only. But that will have to come at a later point, maybe after playing the other two Souls' games.
For a first taste of the series, I always knew it was a great series, and I would enjoy it, but I didn't realise I would enjoy it this much. I loved every moment of it, I also despaired at every moment of it. The few occasions I had to play offline was quite a harrowing experience, the world itself felt quite desolate of any hope, and the lack of any ghosts moving about, or messages etc, made it more apparent. To the point where getting back online couldn't come sooner. I'll be interested to see how my playthrough of Dark Souls will go, considering that will also be a blind run like this one.

18: Dark Souls - 23hrs
# I started this out right after finishing Demon's Souls, initially disliking how the game played, and how the world seemed in comparison. Although over time that attitude changed, and I began to truly be engrossed by the world presented. Anor Londo being an amazing vista upon which to travel through. I ran through the game as a wanderer, barely used any magic apart from weapon enchantments and cleric healing, for weapons I nearly entirely used the zweihander, and boy does it feel satisfying to just slam. Completed all the DLC, and had Solaire come along with me for one final trip. Also, I found Patches, boy I could tell he was up to his old tricks again, luring me into treasure. So as payback, Patches lay dead, that being the only NPC I've actually killed so far in both of my playthroughs. In short, onwards to Dark Souls 2 sometime soon, hopefully.

19: Yumina the Ethereal - 30hrs
# The first route seemed somewhat interesting, it had potential, but overall it was a fairly average game, not really that difficult either. I only played through Yumina's route, and stopped halfway through Kirara's, since I had other, more interesting, things to play.

Main priority to finish:
  • Xenosaga: Ep.1 - Delivering curry is tough, shit took me 20mins.
  • The Witcher 2 - Delayed for 2 years, hoping to finally actually play through a reasonable chunk, I love first game, no idea why I haven't finished this yet.

Hopefully I can make a sizeable attempt at this challenge; as I'm normally quite horrible at finishing games, instead opting to play DotA2 whenever I get the chance.

Finished Mario Tennis a few minutes ago, so I added it to the pile.

Game #6: Mario Tennis (3DS VC) - 11 hours, 38 mins (Finished)
Completed the tour in singles and doubles. Mario wasn't nearly as legendary as the game said, but other than that it was enjoyable. Really kicking myself for not getting it when I had a Game Boy Color. Ace would have bodied the N64 version.

The next game will most likely be Wind Waker, but we'll see.

StingX2

Game #3 Finished: Ni No Kuni: Wrath of the White Witch

Started really really really slow but once you can catch monsters and have a second party member the game just takes off. Shock and awe here but the animation is superb, the soundtrack hits all the right notes and the story is capable of tugging to heart strings. The game manages to keep itself simple but not feel shallow and that might be one of its most impressive qualities. Going back to the story I was so impressed how much I felt invested in this little magical world, and going back to Motorville gave me that Earthbound feel of childhood with its look and sound. Brilliant.

Original post

Lemstar

7: Devil May Cry 3 (360) - 12h (01/19/14 - 01/24/14)

The interface and cutscenes in the HD port of DMC3 are about what you'd expect for a game that's about to turn 8, but the gameplay held up well enough to make me understand why DMC fans despised DmC. (I'm not sure about the complaints about the writing, though - as far as I can tell, this Dante just happens to swear a little less than Donte.)

I'll have to revisit DMC4 at some point, since the absence of on-the-fly style switching was something I really missed in 3, even though I barely knew it existed in 4.

Game 8: Castlevania: Lord of Shadows [PS3] 17:28

I liked this game a lot! I was super impressed by the graphics and really loved all the cutscenees, Pan and Baba the witch both looked great! I'm still shocked how good this game looked for it being kinda older. Really happy I finally sat down and played it, now I'm pumped for LoS 2 in Feb!

Updated here.

Ultryx

Game # 1: Alan Wake (PC) - 10 hours
Really enjoyed this game. Excellent graphics on PC, fun combat system, and a different experience (basically living/playing a Stephen King novel). I'd been having issues getting into games lately. I think I'm just burned out on FPS titles, so although this is third person, it was a welcome departure from previous titles I've been playing.

Game # 2: Alan Wake's American Nightmare (PC) - 2 hours
Did not enjoy this DLC at all like I did the original game. I was rushing through it after I figured out
I'd be re-doing the same area again and again
. That was literally a "nightmare" for me. Anyway at least the combat and controls were the same so I could just pick it up and play. I'm not interested in the arcade mode. Kind of disappointing because it did not have any of the tense atmosphere from the original game.

Game 1: Assassins Creed IV - Only finished the main story, planning on 100%ing it. Awesome game

Game 2: Lego Marvel Super Heroes - Loved the game but i felt the pacing and levels struggled from not having an existing story to follow. May have been better to just make a Marvel Phase 1 game which follows the movies.

Game 3: Uncharted: Golden Abyss - Pretty awesome game once I got used to the controls, first game I played when I got the Vita. Solid game overall, stands up well against the console games.

daveo42

Banned
Update!

Game 1: Persona 3 FES - 112 hours
2 months left in game left. I'm almost there

Game 2: Gone Home - 3 hours - Completed 01/25/14
Pretty great lite game that was much more about exploration and story than anything else.

Game 3: The Stanley Parable - 3 hours - Completed on 01/25/14
This game threw me for a loop and I enjoyed every moment of it. Some of the endings were just fantastic. It really reminded me a bit of the humor and pacing of the original Portal with some of the early game tripy-ness of Antichamber.

Updated original post.

Lemstar

8: Brothers: A Tale of Two Sons (PS3) - 3h (01/24/14 - 01/24/14)

Well, that makes the second artsy indie critical darling in a row to let me down.

Counterintuitively enough, it was the gameplay that I enjoyed the most from Brothers. As linear and rudimentary as the puzzles were, the dual analog stick controls just felt... right. The emotional heft that was supposed to be there just didn't deliver, though.

At least I didn't spend a discrete amount of money on it; I'd have been a little miffed had I bought it as a Steam daily.

SuperHans

The January quality fest continues. 5 down.

Game 5: The Stanley Parable - 2 Hours
Completed
25th January
#Another great experience. Very funny and unique. I got most of the endings and thoroughly enjoyed the whole thing.

Update

Yasawas

Game 8: Bravely Default (3DS) - Completed 25/1/14. 73:02

I was feeling a bit guilty about having some short games up there but this balances things out. Not the true ending because 1) I really can't be fucked and 2) this actually feels like the direction I'd have gone if I didn't know the true ending was a thing.

This is a frustrating game for me, someone who has doesn't really play JRPGs but has latched on to the big ones like FF7-9, Persona 4, and enjoyed them to varying degrees. The job system is fantastic and allows so many permutations of characters and abilities, the autobattle and speedup thing makes grinding quick not that it's really required, it's staggeringly beautiful in places, the music is great. It's soured by a twist halfway through that I can't believe anyone thought was a good idea for a game this long, I did get over it and got back on with it but if you're kind of casually interested in this style of game and you have a backlog I could easily understand putting it down and never coming back. I forced myself through now because I have so many 3DS games to start that have had to wait because of this but I didn't want to have this nagging away at me every time I saw it on the shelf.

My meaningless JRPG-noob scale has this somewhere below Persona 4 but above any FInal Fantasy, which means precisely fuck all as I've only played the PS1 titles that weren't ports and I loved Mystic Quest on the SNES. It's good, but don't go nuts over it because it's deeply flawed. I got my money's worth and look forward to a sequel though.

Original post.

Bii

I'm glad to see most of us are still doing this. I know a month hasn't passed by yet but with challenges like these, I usually drop off within the first two weeks. At this rate, I'm on pace to complete the challenge within nine months.

Original post: http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=95490358&postcount=198

Game 6: Plants vs Zombies: Game of the Year (PC) - 6.2 hours played

# Finished it on iOS a few years back and figure I can play the original PC version since it's not gimped.

I'll probably start Bastion or Batman: Arkham Asylum next.

causan

This sounds like a fun idea and this gives me another reason to work on my backlog and actually finish games.

Game # 1: Brothers - A Tale of Two Sons - Completed 1/1/2014 3.9 hours
I actually played almost all of this in one sitting on New Year's Day. This is really a great game and I can see why this was on a lot of top ten lists for last year.

Game # 2: Broken Age Part 1 - Completed 1/26/2014 4.3 hours
Loving this game so far. The art, music, voice acting is incredible. I will finish this up today and start working on my third game.

Game # 3: Tearaway - 2 hours - In Progress
Bought this day one and only got to play about 2 hours (up to the barn area) of it before my Vita was taken over by my 7 year old daughter.

Game # 4: Super Mario 3D World - 3 hours - In Progress
Another game I bought day one that I only got to play a few of hours before the kids TO on it. I was able to 100% percent the first world and half of the ice world though.

*Update 1/26/2014 - Broken Age Part 1 - Completed

StingX2

Game #4: DLC Quest -2 Hours
It was cold out and snowing I wanted to do a quickie since leaving bed just seems like a terrible idea. DLC Quest is extremely clever for the way it points out how bad DLC can get but the game really isn't very good and goes on entirely too long. The Freemium quest was driving me up the wall.

Original post

yaffi

Okay, I'm in!

Game 1: Yakuza: Dead Souls - ~28h - Finished (Throphies 48%)
Had it sitting around for a few years now. Started the game in early December and while it wasn't bad, it became really repetitive quite fast. So I just rushed through everything, after having done almost all the substories and stuff with the first three characters. Story was fine; the cast (and the typical Yakuza humor) and zombies make anything bearable anyway.

Game 2: Anarchy Reigns - ~6h - Finished (Trophies 44%)
Fucking cool game. Cool characters, cool fights, cool music, cool everything. Imagine this on PS4/Xbox1 with next gen graphics. I actually liked what little story it had too.

Put Asura's Wrath on hold and played Anarchy Reigns instead. I loved it!

Yasawas

Four games in a week!

Game 9: Touch! Kirby (DS) - Completed 26/1/14. 3:39

AKA Canvas Curse/Power Paintbrush. Adorable wee platformer, great touchscreen controls and use of inertia make it a joy to fling Kirby around the levels, none of which are hugely difficult but it does get tricky towards the end. Final boss was a nice throwback to the 16-bit era too. Good game that I have absolutely no desire to ever play again.

Original post.

Another two games down.

Game 8: The Swapper - 4.6 Hours
Really neat game, atmosphere is brilliant and the puzzles are fun. Did get a little frustrated near the end but the fact I stuck with it and finished it says alot.

Game 9: Retro City Rampage - 6.7 Hours
Started really well, references are fun and last for pretty much the whole game but the gameplay does not. Gets pretty boring and repetitive then just annoying. Such a disappointed as it could have been so much better.

Original Post: http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=97786265&postcount=488

My games so far:

*01/01 - Bravely Default (Nintendo 3DS)
*01/01 - Need for Speed Rivals (Playstation 4)
*03/01 - The Walking Dead (PC)
*03/01 - The Walking Dead: 400 Days (PC)
*03/01 - The Wonderful 101 (WiiU)
*04/01 - The Wolf Among Us: Episode 1 - Faith (PC)
*06/01 - Bastion (PC)
*14/01 - Sonic Lost World (Nintendo 3DS)
*16/01 - Rayman Jungle Run (iOS)
*25/01 - Contrast (Playstation 4)

Will edit later the post.

witchedwiz - 4/52 Games

Games
  • GAME 1: Tales of Graces 52 hours
  • GAME 2: Tales of Xillia 37 hours
  • GAME 3: Final Fantasy XIII 71 hours
  • GAME 4: Final Fantasy XIII-2 18 hours
I'm in!

Might decide to wrap up a whole lot of games that I've left pending at half game :p

Ok, I'm going to have a go myself, though I'll definitely fail because a full-time job, a wife and a kid don't leave a lot of time for gaming :p Still -

Vanquish - 6h-ish
Knack - 10h-ish
Ni no Kuni - 40h-ish
Yakuza - 12h-ish
Killzone 2 - 6:45 hours
Darksiders - 16:04 hours
South Park: The Stick of Truth - 11:09 hours
Pokemon Black - 35:11 hours
Bravely Default - 57:57 hours
Uncharted 2 - 10:23 hours
Hotline Miami - 4h-ish
Guacamelee - 6h-ish
Professor Layton vs Ace Attorney - 24:14 hours
Infamous: Second Son - 15h-ish
Danganronpa: Trigger Happy Havoc - 20:17 hours
Steamworld Dig - 4:47 hours
Super Mario 3D World - 20h-ish
Pikmin 3 - 16:17 hours
Bioshock 2 - 10h-ish
Persona 4 Golden - 61:07 hours
Muramasa Rebirth - 14:16 hours
Infamous - 20h-ish
Fez - 6h-ish
Ace Attorney Investigations 2: Prosecutor's Path - 15h-ish
Wolfenstein: The New Order - 15h-ish
The Last of Us: Remastered - 14:45 hours
Diablo III: Ultimate Evil Edition - 30h-ish
Grand Theft Auto V - 38:34 hours
Uncharted: Golden Abyss - 10h-ish
Shadowgun - 5h-ish
Fantasy Life - 122:00 hours
Pokemon Omega Ruby - 34:43 hours
Trine - 7h-ish
Danganronpa 2: Goodbye Despair - 30:46 hours
Killzone: Mercenary - 4:12 hours
Fire Emblem: Awakening - 31:56 hours
Bayonetta 2 - 9:31 hours

StingX2

Game 5: Mario vs. Donkey Kong: Minis March Again! -2 Hours 22 Minutes
Got this last year as a Nintendo Club Reward, I miss this series being full of DK94 style game play instead of being a boring lemmings puzzler. The game is a real snore.

The Original Post

daveo42

Banned
Game 4: Brothers: A Tale of Two Sons - 4 hours - Completed 01/25/14

Nice use of the sticks for character movement and the triggers for individual action, though my brain would sometimes get the two mixed up. Very beautiful game with tons of interesting and majestic vistas just to sit and relax at for a moment. It had a good bit of variety in levels, but the game itself wasn't all that challenging.

That ending though. Hit me in the gut.

Updated original post.

Game 1: Plants vs Zombies ~5 hours (Finished)
I enjoy Tower Defense games so I finally got around to playing and finishing the story mode.

Game 2: One Piece Pirate Warriors 2 ~13 hours (Finished but going for platinum)
I have been in the mood for a musou game for quite some time, combined with One Piece and it seems like a no brainer for me, I played through and got the real ending in the story mode. Great game I still need to try more characters.

Game 3: The Last of Us ~17 hours (Finished)
I played 90% of this game as a stealth game, big improvement over the bullet sponge waves of Uncharted. It was a great expirence overall, I plan to replay it in the future

Game 4: Picross e 3 32H54m (FInished)
This is where the majority of my time went in Janurary, Picross is the perfect handheld game. Bring on e 4.

Garcia

Update!

Beat 3 games: Dark Souls, Brothers and BRAID.

Game 2: Dark Souls: Prepare to Die Edition - ~60 hours . [Finished]
# Very disappointed. I actually struggled throughout most of the game and only enjoyed a fraction of the entire adventure. Too much problems to list in such a small space but off the top of my head I can mention the things I liked and disliked the most: Loved some of the boss battles and hated the lack of immediate bonfire teleporting.

Game 5: Brothers: A Tale of Two Sons. ~4 hours. [Finished]
# Impeccable storytelling from start to finish. Gorgeous visuals, clever puzzles and a completely unexpected ending. I haven't had so much fun playing a game of this nature since ICO! You should really ought to give this one a try if you enjoy Team ICO's games. You will be pleasantly surprised.

Game 6: BRAID - ~2 hours. [Finished]
# I was completely blown away by the cleverness of the game from start to finish. I wasn't expecting it to be so damn good. The ending took me by surprise and I almost fell off my chair. Definitely one of my favorite puzzle games to this very day. A perfect marriage between gorgeous visuals and top-notch gameplay. Impressive!

flkraven

Update

This weekend was insane for me game wise. I finished my coop campaign of Gears of War 3 (15 hours), I finished The Witcher 2 (30 hours, playing since last weekend), and I just so happened to have finished my final season of Forza 4 (40 hours). 85 hours of games all finishing on the same weekend. Eat that backlog!

Lemstar

9: Deadpool (360) - 7h (01/25/14 - 01/26/14)

Squandered potential here - even just a little less reuse of the same handful of mooks and in-combat one-liners would have gone a long way to make the game feel less repetitive, and the final level was an atrocity.

Kind of a shame, really, because the combat was quite alright. It's not DMC or anything, but teleporter cancelling let you put together some pretty cool stuff.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom