• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

SOCOM Confrontation - The thread (bringing back the REAL!)

f3niks

I can understand Andokuky's frustration. This game has gone far too long without showing people any type of visuals or detailed info. And when you consider that this was just supposed to be a "little" PSn downloadable game that was essentially supposed to tide over gamers until Socom 4 hit it's even more disappointing that nothing has come out. I stopped following this game closely when I read that they were playing around with the idea of using radar. We are being promised that this experience would be closer to the Socom 1/2 game, I'm sorry but radar, 32 players, maps built for multiple purposes aren't what Socom 1 and 2 were based on. I'll still follow the game and hope that it's good but I'm not going to hold my breath.

Oh and there's no need play the "I played more socom than you" card because I've also lost my fair share of time in East 2 and East 10. I'm almost certain that the only people that frequent this thread are people that have played this game nonstop.

EDIT:
I'm no gaming dev so i don't mean to trivialize what they do but, how hard could it have been to give us:

Socom 1 in HD w/
- somewhat updated graphics
- Guns and Maps from Socom 2
- The ability to change the time of day on the maps.

I would have been more than happy with that as PSN and I think it would sell like hotcakes.

That's all I ever really expected from the beginning.

Doel

f3niks said:
I can understand Andokuky's frustration. This game has gone far too long without showing people any type of visuals or detailed info. And when you consider that this was just supposed to be a "little" PSn downloadable game that was essentially supposed to tide over gamers until Socom 4 hit it's even more disappointing that nothing has come out. I stopped following this game closely when I read that they were playing around with the idea of using radar. We are being promised that this experience would be closer to the Socom 1/2 game, I'm sorry but radar, 32 players, maps built for multiple purposes aren't what Socom 1 and 2 were based on. I'll still follow the game and hope that it's good but I'm not going to hold my breath.

Oh and there's no need play the "I played more socom than you" card because I've also lost my fair share of time in East 2 and East 10. I'm almost certain that the only people that frequent this thread are people that have played this game nonstop.

EDIT:
I'm no gaming dev so i don't mean to trivialize what they do but, how hard could it have been to give us:

Socom 1 in HD w/
- somewhat updated graphics
- Guns and Maps from Socom 2
- The ability to change the time of day on the maps.

I would have been more than happy with that as PSN and I think it would sell like hotcakes.

That's all I ever really expected from the beginning.
I think the major problem is that a lot of the people who are complaining aren't reading the updates I have on the front. Slant Six has addressed many of the issues that people have brought up, including the radar. *going off memory* the way it was explained was that no one will show up on the radar unless they are in your field of vision, and that they were just testing the idea out. With the backlash it got, even after the explanation, I would be surprised if it was defaulted to on, or in there at all.

Your list there is exactly what I wanted to. An updated SOCOM 1, with all maps/guns from SOCOM 2, and night/day/weather options. But face it, we aren't getting that. Confrontation is the best we are going to get on the PS3 and Zipper is definitely not going to give the hardcore what they want either.

Maybe I'm just too optimistic, but I think you guys need to at the very least give it a chance before brushing it off.

f3niks

Doel said:
I think the major problem is that a lot of the people who are complaining aren't reading the updates I have on the front. Slant Six has addressed many of the issues that people have brought up, including the radar. *going off memory* the way it was explained was that no one will show up on the radar unless they are in your field of vision, and that they were just testing the idea out. With the backlash it got, even after the explanation, I would be surprised if it was defaulted to on, or in there at all.

Your list there is exactly what I wanted to. An updated SOCOM 1, with all maps/guns from SOCOM 2, and night/day/weather options. But face it, we aren't getting that. Confrontation is the best we are going to get on the PS3 and Zipper is definitely not going to give the hardcore what they want either.

Maybe I'm just too optimistic, but I think you guys need to at the very least give it a chance before brushing it off.

Don't misunderstand my post. I still hope that the game is going to be good but I'm not going to work to get them up too far to avoid disappointing myself when it does release. The changes could be a good thing....yet, I'm not all that excited about the 32 on 32. I'm playing CoD4 now and 9v9 can get a little out of hand.

Doel

I completely agree and I know that Slant Six is aware of our concerns of that as well.

And its hard because at this point we haven't gotten any new info or media since July, so all we are doing at this point is speculating on 8 month old news. A LOT can change in a span of 8 months.

The great developers out there tear down and change things, even if they are in and working. If something isn't as fun as the rest of the game, a great developer will toss it. This is something I hope Slant Six is doing with 32 players (and bringing it back down to 8v8, single-layout maps). They need to stop over-complicating things.

Andokuky

Banned
Doel said:
I completely disagree. No maps in SOCOM 3 or CA even come close to the least popular maps of SOCOM 1/2. I can tell you that you are in the minority thinking some maps in CA even meet the quality of maps from SOCOM 1/2. They were better then SOCOM 3, but still not close to what we got with SOCOM 1/2.

And of course the downloadable maps from 3/CA are good. They are all maps from SOCOM 1/2/the PS Underground disc for SOCOM 2 with new maps. Unless I missed something, there were no original maps designed for SOCOM 3 or CA.

My hope is Confrontation is taking this long because they are adding a lot more for the original release in terms of maps, as well as making sure they get the gameplay and interface right.

Uh, I never said Combined Assault maps were as good as SOCOM 2's maps. I said they were much better than 3. And yea, I would have taken a couple of them over ugly, choppy unplayable pieces of shit like Bitter Jungle or Blood Lake.

Doel

Andokuky said:
Uh, I never said Combined Assault maps were as good as SOCOM 2's maps. I said they were much better than 3. And yea, I would have taken a couple of them over ugly, choppy unplayable pieces of shit like Bitter Jungle or Blood Lake.
Never had much of a problem with Blood Lake, but Bitter Jungle is an awesome map with the exception of the frame rate. The whole game has technical issues though. The core game, maps, and interface was so strong though that people played through the poor hit detection (of SOCOM 2) and the frame rate problems in both games.

With Confrontation, I don't think we'll be running into those kinds of technical issues any longer.

Nothing shown at GDC isn't exactly a shocker. It would have been a nice surprise (and I want to see an update as much as the next SOCOM nutter), but it ain't a games expo.

As for the delays, it sucks but keep in mind their original target was sort of ridiculous. IIRC what Slant 6 showed at E3 was barely a couple months old and they were targeting a release that would have been less than a year of development. PSN title or no thats some serious compression. I blame overly ambitious deadlines more than anything.

Doel

The latest EGM ('Revenge of the PS3') has a little blurb on SOCOM Confrontation along with a new quote from Seth Luisi:

Yeah, yeah - we know the last GRAW installment landed on both the PS3 and 360, but the game was definitely a much bigger deal (especially among online gamers) for Microsoft's system. Luckily, PS3's 2008 comeback trail should include a tactical squad-based beast of it's own. And it just happens to come from the same franchise that convinced so many people to go online with their PS2s. "Our goal is to make Confrontation the leading online console game just as previous versions of the series were," says Seth Luisi, director of development for Sony CEA.

Developer Slant Six Game will spearhead the project (longtime SOCOM maker Zipper Interactive is apparently working on another in the series), and since this will be an online-only affair, Luisi tells us a lot of effort is going into the game's clan and community aspects. He also promises us that by the time Confrontation launches, we'll see much prettier battlefields than those initially shown. "When I introduced the game to the press last May," he says, "it was extremely early in development and the team had only been in full production for a few months. As with any project, the game has evolved significantly since then and when we reintroduce Confrontation, I don't think anyone will be disappointed."

Yes Seth, but lets hope we can see it again SOON.

Madman

Doel said:
The latest EGM ('Revenge of the PS3') has a little blurb on SOCOM Confrontation along with a new quote from Seth Luisi:

Yes Seth, but lets hope we can see it again SOON.
I'm starting to think showing this, LBP, WOHD, ect. so early was a mistake. Although they have been in development for a relatively short period of time, people act as though they have been in development for nigh forever. Look at the complaining in this thread alone about how long the game is taking.

Doel

I noticed something today when visiting 1up. SOCOM Confrontation currently sits at the #8 spot on their PS3's most popular list (which is based on most activity, as in clicks). #8 for a game that hasn't seen any new media since July with the exception of being on a couple of their 'Most Wanted' lists, is pretty impressive. And once again goes to show the draw this franchise has.

Kittonwy

Banned
Doel said:
Confrontation will be shipping this summer according to SCEA's Scott Steinberg:

Are dey doing a beta?
angry.gif

TTP

Have a fun! Enjoy!
Doel said:
I noticed something today when visiting 1up. SOCOM Confrontation currently sits at the #8 spot on their PS3's most popular list (which is based on most activity, as in clicks). #8 for a game that hasn't seen any new media since July with the exception of being on a couple of their 'Most Wanted' lists, is pretty impressive. And once again goes to show the draw this franchise has.

SOCOM is SOCOM.
Much like Sanremo is Sanremo (this is for italian gaffers)

FabCam

I'm not a SOCOM nut, but I played my fair share of PS2 versions. I'm hoping this will hit PSN in summer at price point of £20 ($40). That's the sweet spot for me. I have a 13 week Summer due to exams finishing early. If SOCOM comes out sometime before that, I'll be damn happy.

Das-J

Law of the West
A summer release would be big for them but I have my doubts... here's hoping they're able to hit that mark!

JoJo13

Banned
Doel said:
SOCOM is a popular series on PS2. Its no surprise the SOCOM fans want to see whats up with their favorite PS2 online game.

Doel

JoJo13 said:
SOCOM is a popular series on PS2. Its no surprise the SOCOM fans want to see whats up with their favorite PS2 online game.
With how overlooked this franchise is in the media, and how poorly Sony themselves hype it (or lack there of), it is a surprise that its still sitting in the top 10.

Madman

Doel said:
With how overlooked this franchise is in the media, and how poorly Sony themselves hype it (or lack there of), it is a surprise that its still sitting in the top 10.
What is wrong with the current Socom hype? It's been off the radar for quite awhile now. No sense hyping something that we last saw back in July of last year, ya know?

Give it time.

Doel

Madman said:
What is wrong with the current Socom hype? It's been off the radar for quite awhile now. No sense hyping something that we last saw back in July of last year, ya know?
I'm not even just talking about now, I'm talking about in general.

When they first announced Confrontation it was almost like an after thought and the media treated it as such. When there are interviews with SCE executives, SOCOM is rarely acknowledged (with the exception of a recent interview with Scott Steinberg). For the amount of pull this franchise has on the Playstation brand it amazes me how overlooked it is by Sony and popular media outlets.

I've written a number of pieces on this before. SOCOM is a franchise that the IGNs, 1ups, and GameSpots never really "got". Joe Rybicki (of OPM/1up) and N'Gai Croal (of Newsweek) are really the only two people, that write for popular gaming publications, who seem to understand it.

Madman

Doel said:
I'm not even just talking about now, I'm talking about in general.

When they first announced Confrontation it was almost like an after thought and the media treated it as such. When there are interviews with SCE executives, SOCOM is rarely acknowledged (with the exception of a recent interview with Scott Steinberg). For the amount of pull this franchise has on the Playstation brand it amazes me how overlooked it is by Sony and popular media outlets.

I've written a number of pieces on this before. SOCOM is a franchise that the IGNs, 1ups, and GameSpots never really "got". Joe Rybicki (of OPM/1up) and N'Gai Croal (of Newsweek) are really the only two people, that write for popular gaming publications, who seem to understand it.
In the end, that doesn't matter. I think Sony knows the popularity of the game. They made the money from it. It isn't being championed because it's tough to champion. It's graphics aren't the best, and explaining it's gameplay appeal to people isn't exactly easy.

It's fans aren't helping either. I have heard tons of complaints about the game series from fans, from Socom 1 to Socom: Confrontation. I have also heard plenty of accusations regarding Zipper, such as them being a poor developer and not understanding their own game. It's a popular game that is attacked by it's own fanbase probably more then any game I have ever seen.

In the end, I think Sony is just trying to let the cards fall where they may with the series.

Doel

It had to be done.

I've started 'The Real SOCOM' blog, linked above. Much like this thread, it will be updated whenever there is some news or I have something more to say. I've toyed with the idea of video blogs (like David Jaffe now does) so I may consider doing that as it would be the defining factor between this thread and that blog.

Even if news is slow I'm going to try and post something every week, so don't think I'll be neglecting it. If you have an idea of something you'd like to see me do on the blog, let me know.

Kittonwy

Banned
Doel said:
It had to be done.

I've started 'The Real SOCOM' blog, linked above. Much like this thread, it will be updated whenever there is some news or I have something more to say. I've toyed with the idea of video blogs (like David Jaffe now does) so I may consider doing that as it would be the defining factor between this thread and that blog.

Even if news is slow I'm going to try and post something every week, so don't think I'll be neglecting it. If you have an idea of something you'd like to see me do on the blog, let me know.

I bookmarked it but it's going to be awhile before you have anything to post LOL.

JB1981

I hope this game is teh awesome - really looking forward to a tactical shooter with very refined mechanics. can't wait to see how it plays.

J-Rzez

Doel said:
Is SOCOM Confrontation going to be the next EGM cover story (or possibly May/June issue)? According to this it will.

I don't know where this interview is from. Can someone confirm this?

If it's worthy of being a cover story, then I think people know something about this game is going to be huge. Even from what we know so far it can confirm it. It seems like a back-to-roots SOCOM game that expanded in proper directions this time, like even more added Clan support. The community is really strong around this series, and clans along with it's competitiveness is what puts it there. This isn't some "oh well, Rambo-respawn-rinse-repeat" game. There is some serious tactical gameplay in this series.

It's a damn shame to wait that long for info though, that's for sure :(

Doel

Kagari said:
So, sent to die against Metal Gear Solid?
SOCOM has it's own, VERY dedicated fanbase. I know many people who are holding out for SOCOM Confrontation to release before they pick up a PS3. You could stick Halo on the PS3, release it the same day as a SOCOM game, and it won't make a difference. It's going to sell a lot better and draw more attention than people give it credit for.

J-Rzez

Kagari said:
So, sent to die against Metal Gear Solid?

My turn. :p

Based on the last MGS Online, and that the next one seems to play like the old one with some new added features, SOCOM Conf has nothing to worry about in the Online MP Shooter segment probably until R2.

Kagari

Crystal Bearer
Good to know. Sony needs to get us a date because as others have mentioned, a lot of people are waiting for this game before purchasing the system.

Madman

Kittonwy said:
Different fanbase.
Both are tactical third person shooters, but even with that they are vastly different. Socom has always been grounded in reality, while MGS is much more over the top.

I agree they are for different audiences and having titles like Socom and MGS coming out relatively soon and close together is a problem you want.

Kittonwy

Banned
Doel said:
What are your thoughts on how voice chat should be handled?

This is my feeling on it, feel free to comment or make a suggestion of your own.

No more push to talk, fully active mic that is on all the time, making chatting as easy as possible, each side should not be able to hear the other talk, as chatting should be encouraged not the other way around.

Kittonwy said:
No more push to talk, fully active mic that is on all the time, making chatting as easy as possible, each side should not be able to hear the other talk, as chatting should be encouraged not the other way around.

Lets make sure mic chat works all the time too :lol

The Take Out Bandit said:
I was just thinking "Sent to die" period.

Summer?

Well it beats releasing everything in the last four months of the year, but I dunno.

But yeah, MGS4 will beast all over this. :\

NO IT WONT, 2 different audiences, 2 way different games. Everyone that plays mp on ps3 will basically get socom. Everyone will also get MGS4 (especially the people buying a ps3 just for it) but there are also people waiting to buy a ps3 for socom. Socom will be huge, and so will mgs4

n1n9tean

Banned
Doel said:
It had to be done.

BOOKMARKED.

I tell you, anybody who loves Socom is alright with me; especially someone who cares about the franchise as much as you do. :D

dralla

Copy Resistance voice chat, open mic for people on your squad, push to talk for the entire team. simple, keeps things organized.

Top Bottom