• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Smash Bros Brawl Dojo Official Update Thread: Goodbye, Cherry-don

Status
Not open for further replies.
MasterAJ22 said:
Now they wouldn't need to even waste extra discs, just slip a sheet of paper with a code into the first 100,000 copies that allows a free VC download. BEWIIEVE.
That's what some of us hoped would happen when Twilight Princess and Metroid Prime 3 launched as well. Come on Nintendo! :D

Jiggy

If Geno got in as playable, that would shock me because it would run so contrary to every other character who's been in SSB, SSBM, or what we've seen so far from SSBB. We've only ever gotten...

Main characters from main franchises: Mario, Luigi, Bowser, Peach, Yoshi, Donkey Kong, Ganondorf, Fox, Kirby, Samus, Zelda (+ Sheik), Link, Young Link, Pikachu, Jigglypuff, Mewtwo, Zero Suit Samus, Ike, Pokemon Trainer, Meta Knight, Snake

Main characters from secondary franchises (not referring to quality, but sales): Captain Falcon, Ness, Ice Climbers, Mr. Game & Watch, Marth, Roy, Pit, Wario, Diddy Kong

Secondary characters from main franchises: Pichu, Falco

Geno is a secondary character from a secondary franchise, and I expect him about as much as other secondary characters from a secondary franchise, like Daisy or Waluigi. (Even though I'd really appreciate Daisy.) The only thing I see keeping his chances for being in even slightly alive are that, unlike Daisy and Waluigi, he's somehow amassed a dedicated fanbase and that he got a good number of votes in that character poll--but that's kept in check in my mind because (also unlike them) putting him in would mean that he'd have to be picked over a different Square-Enix character.

Edit: Actually, I'm not even sure Daisy is an apt comparison either. She was at least in one main series Mario platformer.

Scribble

Jiggy37 said:
If Geno got in as playable, that would shock me because it would run so contrary to every other character who's been in SSB, SSBM, or what we've seen so far from SSBB....putting him in would mean that he'd have to be picked over a different Square-Enix character.

I don't know...I can see Geno being put in as a "WTF SURPRISE!" for the fans. It seems like the kind of thing they'd pull off, judging from all of Brawl's fanservicey elements so far.

And I don't know if Geno would count as a third party character, since even though he's owned by square, he belongs to a first party franchise.

SovanJedi

provides useful feedback
BGBW said:
CAPTAIN FALCON OR BUST!

Captain_Falcon.jpg
OR
Bust.jpg

YOU DECIDE!

Jiggy

Scribble said:
I don't know...I can see Geno being put in as a "WTF SURPRISE!" for the fans. It seems like the kind of thing they'd pull off, judging from all of Brawl's fanservicey elements so far.
If I was sure that he had a huge fanbase, I'd give him more credit as a possibility for exactly that reason. But I'm not sure of that. >_> I only give him credit for having a dedicated fanbase, but I'm honestly not sure how many people in a broad sense would be happy to see him in or treat that as a fanservice kind of gesture.
But yeah, the SMRPG fans would no doubt.

Jiggy37 said:
If Geno got in as playable, that would shock me because it would run so contrary to every other character who's been in SSB, SSBM, or what we've seen so far from SSBB. We've only ever gotten...

Geno is a secondary character from a secondary franchise, and I expect him about as much as other secondary characters from a secondary franchise, like Daisy or Waluigi. (Even though I'd really appreciate Daisy.) The only thing I see keeping his chances for being in even slightly alive are that, unlike Daisy and Waluigi, he's somehow amassed a dedicated fanbase and that he got a good number of votes in that character poll--but that's kept in check in my mind because (also unlike them) putting him in would mean that he'd have to be picked over a different Square-Enix character.
Great post and I agree completely. If Geno were to be included in Brawl, I think he would be an assist trophy.

Jiggy

monkey79 said:
I predict we'll get one of the original 4 secret characters tonight: Luigi, Falcon, Ness, or Jigglypuff
Oh hey, good catch that we haven't seen any of them.
Personally, I expect that at least one out of Luigi or Ness won't be revealed until that fateful Sunday night before December 3rd, just to truly mess with the hardcore fans of each character. >_>

SovanJedi

provides useful feedback
...am I the only person in the entire sweet-chewing world who actually liked Geno the least of all the Mario RPG characters? I preferred Mallow.

Jiggy

SuperAngelo64 said:
But technically the main characters from that franchise (Mario, Bowser, Peach) are already in the game?
They're also recurring main characters in a top game franchise. Geno was a one-shot character, and unlike other one-shots such as Ice Climbers or Ness, he wasn't even the hero of the game he was in.

I have nothing against Geno, really. I just don't see him as likely, because he's two layers down from real video game prominence.

SovanJedi said:
...am I the only person in the entire sweet-chewing world who actually liked Geno the least of all the Mario RPG characters? I preferred Mallow.
Yeah, I probably beat the game four times and never used him except for the few battles I had to. Don't know why, but his attacks seemed less interesting to me than everyone else's.

Edit: But I'm not sure I'd say least. It's a tossup between him and Mario, who I also would have kicked out of the team if the game let me. Bowser/Mallow/Peach would have been great.

Jiggy37 said:
They're also recurring main characters in a top game franchise. Geno was a one-shot character, and unlike other one-shots such as Ice Climbers or Ness, he wasn't even the hero of the game he was in.

I have nothing against Geno, really. I just don't see him as likely, because he's two layers down from real video game prominence.

Well Geno fans made such a ruckus that he was in SuperStar Saga too. Also, Geno has a decent chance since Sakurai actually said "I consider Geno a first party character." Also Geno was tied with KingDeDeDe as being in the top 10 requested every week he did the character voting.

I wouldn't get my hopes up though. I think he'll be in Brawl though
as an assisnt

SovanJedi said:

I actually like Mallow way more than Geno. Geno is really very two-dimensional compared to the colorful Mallow.

Also Mallow looks like he's straight out've the Mario universe. I could look at him and say "That's totally a Mario character."

Jiggy

SuperAngelo64 said:
Well Geno fans made such a ruckus that he was in SuperStar Saga too. Also, Geno has a decent chance since Sakurai actually said "I consider Geno a first party character." Also Geno was tied with KingDeDeDe as being in the top 10 requested every week he did the character voting.

I wouldn't get my hopes up though. I think he'll be in Brawl though
as an assisnt
I tend to agree.
That Sakurai quote might change my perspective a little if it's true/taken in context/etc., but still not much. He's like a Fire Emblem Mia to me, someone who a lot of people would be happy with but doesn't have much of a shot outside of being an assist trophy.

I'll try and find the source. But he was basically asked the question like "Regarding 3rd party characters. Do you consider characters like Geno to be third party?" and he replied with something along the lines of "No, I consider Geno to be a first-party (Nintendo) character."

Here is something I dug up. A list from the old site of the most requested characters from the japanese polls:

Japanese Poll, Most Requested Characters in Japan:

King Dedede(5)
Diddy Kong(4)
Geno(4)
Ike(4)
Ridley(4)
Captain Olimar & Pikmin(3)
Krystal(3)
Takamaru(3)
Windwaker Link(3)
Animal Crossing MC(2)
Claus(2)
Demiru(2)
Isaac(2)
Jeff(2)
Kawashima(2)
King K.Rool(2)
Lip(2)
Lucas(2)
Mega Man(2)
Oguma(2)
Ouendan(2)
Sukapon(2)

Interesting though. I do remember these lists being posted back then. But something strikes me as strange. This is one of 3 lists (One list was Sakurai's first party list, Sakurai's 3rd party list, and Japanese poll list). And Sonic isn't on ANY of the lists, not even near the bottom. That makes no sense, Sonic is probably the most requested character. In fact Miyamoto and Sakurai have been said he is the most requested and that he'd make a great addition to Smash. Why isn't he on the lists? Have they just been planning on his inclusion the entire time?

Rindain

Banned
The odds are with a character update tonight.

Who will it be?

I'd say a Newcomer, as the last new announcement was over a month ago (August 22 for Diddy Kong).

Captain Olimar, Wolf Link + Midna, Ridley?!

Rindain said:
The odds are with a character update tonight.

Who will it be?

I'd say a Newcomer, as the last new announcement was over a month ago (August 22 for Diddy Kong).

Captain Olimar, Wolf Link + Midna, Ridley?!

I thought Ice Climbers were after Diddy?

You know, if clones are still in

Baby Mario and Baby Luigi would make an interesting Ice Climbers clone. They use hammers, the ice blowing move could become a burning move, it almost makes too much sense.

ShockingAlberto said:
You know, if clones are still in

Baby Mario and Baby Luigi would make an interesting Ice Climbers clone. They use hammers, the ice blowing move could become a burning move, it almost makes too much sense.

Up B = Yellow cape fling
Side B = Hammer spin
Normal B = Double Fireball
Down B = Annoying ass Yoshi's Island crying, equivalent effect of Jiggly's Down B.

They could just call them "Baby Mario Bros." on the select screen.

Actually it's like, they had lists of highest ranked characters every week for 5 weeks. And if a character appeared on the list for more than one week they'd get a (2), for two weeks.

(3) for three weeks, and so on.

Jiggy

SuperAngelo64 said:
Actually it's like, they had lists of highest ranked characters every week for 5 weeks. And if a character appeared on the list for more than one week they'd get a (2), for two weeks.

(3) for three weeks, and so on.
Oh. Suddenly it all makes sense now.
Everyone who kept voting for King Dedede and Lip is on my good side.

Akai

Jiggy37 said:
Everyone who kept voting for King Dedede and Lip is on my good side.
I'd love Lip to be playable, but Lip's Stick being shown to return (in the Munchlax update) put a huge dampener on that wish... =(

(Not to say it's impossible, as Samus' screw attack is an item, but still...)

Jiggy

I prefer to think of Lip's Stick as increasing her odds, but maybe that's just optimism speaking. >_> There was also Kirby's ability to turn into the Panel de Pon block...

(Then again, back in Kirby Super Star days the rock power could turn him into Mario or Samus statues among like 45 other shapes, so eh.)

Pringo

Banned
So, does anyone here know if Nintendo owns the rights to all the Golden Sun characters or if Camelot does? I'd kill for Isaac or Felix to make it as a playable character (or well, anyone else in the series for that matter). The attacks would work out well too with a combination of djinn, psynergy, and weapon based attacks. And the final smash could easily be a summon or something.

The only problem I really is that the game might get a little diluted with sword fighters, with the Zelda and Fire Emblem characters in there as well. But still, make it happen Sakurai.

GamerSoul

Pringo said:
So, does anyone here know if Nintendo owns the rights to all the Golden Sun characters or if Camelot does? I'd kill for Isaac or Felix to make it as a playable character (or well, anyone else in the series for that matter). The attacks would work out well too with a combination of djinn, psynergy, and weapon based attacks. And the final smash could easily be a summon or something.

The only problem I really is that the game might get a little diluted with sword fighters, with the Zelda and Fire Emblem characters in there as well. But still, make it happen Sakurai.

I think Sakurai could get his hands on Isaac if he wanted to. He'd just call Camelot then it's a done deal. Why wouldn't Camelot want one of the characters character in? Isaac was on his poll too.

Like you said, making a creative moveset and even a Final Smash would be no problem, there are many options.

phalestine

aka iby.h
well looking at the musicians list, no one from Sega is on it. this could either mean 2 things,
1 - sonic is not in, or
2 - Absolutely nothing

Akai

iby.h said:
well looking at the musicians list, no one from Sega is on it.
You know, not to be rude, but that's not necessarily a bad thing... ='D

(Edit: Speaking on the Sonic side of things...)

phalestine

aka iby.h
Akai said:
You know, not to be rude, but that's not necessarily a bad thing... ='D

(Edit: Speaking on the Sonic side of things...)

Damn you edited, I was going to say Jet set radio, ah well, though the Sonic rush series had cool music.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom