• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Square Enix to enlist gamers as Heroes of Mana

It seems that Square Enix can't stop milking the "Mana" franchise: according to the USPTO, the Japanese RPG behemoth filed for the trademark "Heroes of Mana" on Sept 1, 2006. The following is the related filing:

Word Mark HEROES OF MANA

Goods and Services IC 009. US 021 023 026 036 038. G & S: Computer game software; video game software; sound recordings in the form of optical discs, magnetic discs and/or semiconductor ROMs featuring music and/or fictional stories; audio visual recordings in the form of optical discs, magnetic discs and semiconductor ROMs featuring music and/or animated fictional stories; prerecorded compact discs featuring music; prerecorded video discs featuring music and/or animated fictional stories; prerecorded video cassettes featuring music and/or animated fictional stories; decorative magnets; mouse pads; straps for cellular phones; sunglasses; blank memory cards; memory card cases; CD cases; video game controllers; downloadable computer graphic software containing wallpapers for computers and/or mobile phones; downloadable screensavers for computers and/or mobile phones; downloadable video recordings featuring cartoon characters and/or video game characters; downloadable musical sound recordings; downloadable sound recordings using human voices featuring morning calls and/or wake-up messages; downloadable ring tones for mobile phones; downloadable electronic publications in the nature of magazines, journals and/or newsletters in the field of computer games, video games, cartoons and general entertainment

IC 016. US 002 005 022 023 029 037 038 050. G & S: Computer game strategy guidebooks; video game strategy guidebooks; a series of books featuring fictional and/or fantasy stories; graphic art books; song books; musical score books; comic books; magazines featuring computer games, video games, cartoons and/or general entertainment; posters; stickers; paper banners; calendars; postcards; pens; pencils; pencil caps; pen cases; drawing rulers; rubber stamps; notebooks; collectors' cards; trading cards; photographs; photograph stands

Standard Characters Claimed
Mark Drawing Code (4) STANDARD CHARACTER MARK
Design Search Code
Serial Number 78965893
Filing Date September 1, 2006
Current Filing Basis 1B;44E
Original Filing Basis 1B;44E
Owner (APPLICANT) Kabushiki Kaisha Square Enix (also trading as Square Enix Co., Ltd.) CORPORATION JAPAN 3-22-7 Yoyogi, Shibuya-ku Tokyo JAPAN
Attorney of Record Mark I. Peroff
Prior Registrations 2079884;2635794;3006408
Type of Mark TRADEMARK
Register PRINCIPAL
Live/Dead Indicator LIVE

GilloD

Banned
Quote:
Word Mark HEROES OF MANA

Goods and Services IC 009. US 021 023 026 036 038. G & S: Computer game software; video game software; sound recordings in the form of optical discs, magnetic discs and/or semiconductor ROMs featuring music and/or fictional stories; audio visual recordings in the form of optical discs, magnetic discs and semiconductor ROMs featuring music and/or animated fictional stories; prerecorded compact discs featuring music; prerecorded video discs featuring music and/or animated fictional stories; prerecorded video cassettes featuring music and/or animated fictional stories; decorative magnets; mouse pads; straps for cellular phones; sunglasses; blank memory cards; memory card cases; CD cases; video game controllers; downloadable computer graphic software containing wallpapers for computers and/or mobile phones; downloadable screensavers for computers and/or mobile phones; downloadable video recordings featuring cartoon characters and/or video game characters; downloadable musical sound recordings; downloadable sound recordings using human voices featuring morning calls and/or wake-up messages; downloadable ring tones for mobile phones; downloadable electronic publications in the nature of magazines, journals and/or newsletters in the field of computer games, video games, cartoons and general entertainment

IC 016. US 002 005 022 023 029 037 038 050. G & S: Computer game strategy guidebooks; video game strategy guidebooks; a series of books featuring fictional and/or fantasy stories; graphic art books; song books; musical score books; comic books; magazines featuring computer games, video games, cartoons and/or general entertainment; posters; stickers; paper banners; calendars; postcards; pens; pencils; pencil caps; pen cases; drawing rulers; rubber stamps; notebooks; collectors' cards; trading cards; photographs; photograph stands

Standard Characters Claimed
Mark Drawing Code (4) STANDARD CHARACTER MARK
Design Search Code
Serial Number 78965893
Filing Date September 1, 2006
Current Filing Basis 1B;44E
Original Filing Basis 1B;44E
Owner (APPLICANT) Kabushiki Kaisha Square Enix (also trading as Square Enix Co., Ltd.) CORPORATION JAPAN 3-22-7 Yoyogi, Shibuya-ku Tokyo JAPAN
Attorney of Record Mark I. Peroff
Prior Registrations 2079884;2635794;3006408
Type of Mark TRADEMARK
Register PRINCIPAL
Live/Dead Indicator LIVE

FINALLY

thetrin

Hail, peons, for I have come as ambassador from the great and bountiful Blueberry Butt Explosion
There's a difference between milking and SUCCESSFULLY milking. They've failed many times. I wouldn't mind them trying again until they do it right. After all, I'm not buying the shitty ones, so what do I care?

ethelred

Jonnyram said:
Sounds like a sequel to Children of Mana to me :/

I would not object in the slightest to a new DS Mana game -- but only if this time it's styled more after SD2 and SD3 in its gameplay than Children of Mana was (beyond just the combat system, I mean).

But aside from that, I fully expect this to be the Wii game which they'll reveal during either TGS or the Nintendo event.

TheTrin said:
There's a difference between milking and SUCCESSFULLY milking. They've failed many times. I wouldn't mind them trying again until they do it right. After all, I'm not buying the shitty ones, so what do I care?

Meh. I think Sword of Mana was a pretty average game, but that's all. I've played much, much worse. And I think Children of Mana is much, much better than it -- I don't really understand all the hate it gets. It's a dungeon crawler with a fantastic combat system and great music/graphics. Not the standard Mana formula, sure, but that doesn't make it bad.

And I'm still going to give Dawn of Mana and any other new game in the series a shot.

ethelred

Christ, people, I'd like to see Square Enix revive some of their old franchises as much as anyone else, but it's really not necessary to do the whole, 'Whiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiine, why not Chrono or Parasite Eve?" thing in every single thread dealing with a new game announcement.

TheTrin said:

word. Street Fighter II Hyper Fighting =/= Sword of Mana

Top Bottom