• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Microsoft Xbox Console Sales Double After Price Cut

Guy Legend

http://www.bloomberg.com/apps/news?pid=20601204&sid=ajZ_LMK1ZdRg&refer=technology

Microsoft Xbox Console Sales Double After Price Cut (Update1)

By Dina Bass

Sept. 10 (Bloomberg) -- Microsoft Corp. doubled sales of the Xbox 360 video game machine last weekend after cutting the price by as much as 29 percent to narrow Nintendo Co.'s lead.

Retailers reported a 100 percent increase in sales for all models compared with the previous weekend, Redmond, Washington- based Microsoft said in an e-mailed statement. Some models sold at six times the previous weekend's rate. The company didn't say how many were sold.

The Sept. 5 price cut gave Microsoft a model that costs less than Nintendo's market-leading Wii for the first time.

Sony Corp.'s PlayStation 3, making inroads with new games and a Blu-ray DVD player, also beat the Xbox 360 in U.S. sales in June and July, according to NPD Group, a Port Washington, New York-based research firm.

Microsoft rose 34 cents to $26.44 at 4 p.m. New York time in Nasdaq Stock Market trading.

Should provide a solid base from which to launch the Q4 push. Still, the price cut was way overdue, 360 sales have looked pretty anaemic this year.

September NPD should prove to be interesting

Haunted

Blu-ray DVD?

eh, anyway, can't wait for NPD numbers. The pricecut would register in September NPD? Good, good.

Threi

notag
I will be so incredibly pissed if when i go to buy a 360 arcade they are sold out.

I went through that crap going from store to store with the Wii, i am NOT doing that again.

Kagari

Crystal Bearer
Threi said:
I will be so incredibly pissed if when i go to buy a 360 arcade they are sold out.

I went through that crap going from store to store with the Wii, i am NOT doing that again.

I wouldn't worry about that.

thuway

I called an ungodly number of Gamestops today trying to find out information from the Gamestop conferences. Most of them said they had plenty of Arcade units.

I think the more important thing to wonder is- will this be a permanent increase in sales, or a temporary boost?

RBH

An interesting thing to note:

Of course, it remains to be seen if those bumps will be temporary or lasting. The idea behind the price cuts was to strengthen the company's position going into the upcoming holidays, said David Dennis, a Microsoft spokesman. Following the price cut, the Xbox 360 Arcade model is selling at six times the previous rate, Dennis said. The new $199 price of that model is $50 cheaper than Nintendo's market-leading Wii game console.

http://blog.seattlepi.nwsource.com/microsoft/archives/148413.asp

WrikaWrek

Banned
I hope it sells really well. Would be nice to see it sell over 400k, hopefully the price drop will make it sell at least >300k, constantly during the year, if not, what a waste.

thuway said:
I called an ungodly number of Gamestops today trying to find out information from the Gamestop conferences. Most of them said they had plenty of Arcade units.

Wow, you show....dedication, lol wtf

Hero

199 is very consumer friendly and these results are expected. Let's hope it lasts. About time MS cut the prices.

okrim

Banned
FoxhoundNL said:
Sony better take notice.
It means nothing. Probably the npd of september will be great for 360 but the months after will see if the cut are rivelant or less. Now this result is normal.

Kagari

Crystal Bearer
Threi said:
"Walk into a store and buy a wii at launch"

=\

anyways 1-2 weeks shouldn't affect stock that much.

i hope

Xbox 360 is not a Wii, Wii is not Xbox 360.

No one's going to touch Wii numbers.

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
Oh good another week-over-week sales report which doesn't take into account that the weekly sales the week before a price cut are always lower than average and the boost from price cuts, while not entirely front-loaded, is substantially more visible at the start of the cut than as time goes on. Ugh.

Kagari

Crystal Bearer
Stumpokapow said:
Oh good another week-over-week sales report which doesn't take into account that the weekly sales the week before a price cut are always lower than average and the boost from price cuts, while not entirely front-loaded, is substantially more visible at the start of the cut than as time goes on. Ugh.

Pre-August NPD PR? :X

Good news. I hope the PS3 sees a similar uptick when they hit $250 or less, just to help emphasize the "$300 or less is the correct console price" thing.

thuway said:
I think the more important thing to wonder is- will this be a permanent increase in sales, or a temporary boost?

2x couldn't even conceivably be sustainable. Obviously tons of people went out immediately to buy systems and that concentrated bump won't continue.

An immediate doubling does speak positively to an ongoing boost of some kind, though. I would be very surprised if PS3 came back into the monthly lead for any future month in 2008.

h3ro

Stumpokapow said:

There's no better time to make press releases. :p

thuway

WrikaWrek said:
Wow, you show....dedication, lol wtf

I love my R2 :D . Besides, GAF would have totally eaten up any impressions that I could have mustered. I'll whore myself out for the team.

WrikaWrek

Banned
thuway said:
I love my R2 :D . Besides, GAF would have totally eaten up any impressions that I could have mustered. I'll whore myself out for the team.

But did you went to the press conference? Or you were calling to get impressions about the press conference?

Mrbob

Six times one is only six.

Anyway, glad to see X360 selling well. I don't want to see Nintendo completely run away with this in NA. Will it keep up is the question.

thuway

WrikaWrek said:
But did you went to the press conference?
We're totally OT- pm me if you want, but essentially, every Gamestop employee I talked to told me their manager was coming in Friday.

Mahadev

thuway said:
Because a week and a half worth of sales encompasses the grand scheme of things?

Actually it's not a week and a half. The article is talking only about the first weekend of the price cut:

Sept. 10 (Bloomberg) -- Microsoft Corp. doubled sales of the Xbox 360 video game machine last weekend after cutting the price by as much as 29 percent to narrow Nintendo Co.'s lead.

Retailers reported a 100 percent increase in sales for all models compared with the previous weekend, Redmond, Washington- based Microsoft said in an e-mailed statement. Some models sold at six times the previous weekend's rate. The company didn't say how many were sold.

Call me when this isn't PR bullshit. Of course the first weekend will be great.

WrikaWrek

Banned
thuway said:
We're totally OT- pm me if you want, but essentially, every Gamestop employee I talked to told me their manager was coming in Friday.

So only gamestop managers went to the conference, and you were calling Gamestops all over to know if anyone had impressions on R2 or whatever.

So you are telling me that you actually pick up a phone to start a conversation with a Gamestop employee? That by itself is fucked up, and to top it all you even ask about the availability of 360s, not because apparently you are looking to buy one, but simply to get a better sense on how it's doing.

That's just shheesh, goddamn man. You deserve some sort of praise to be so into it.

Did the gamecube have similar results when it was cut to 99$?

I dont think 200-300 is a mass market price. Thats a high price you use for a hot item (wii, ps2, Ipod). Mass market is more like 99-149 range. Wii is readily available everywhere in Japan, but the sales start falling back into 120,000ish a month because I would assume the 200$ equivalent there isnt in line with what most people are willing to spend.

thuway said:
Because a week and a half worth of sales encompasses the grand scheme of things?

90vzfk.jpg

SONY BLINDERS!

Mahadev

Valkyr Junkie said:
I would have guessed a lot more.

Since we're talking only about the first weekend I would have guessed a lot more too. But if the double sales continue for the rest of the month it would be fairly impressive.

Zzoram

Some models sold at six times the previous weekend's rate.

That must be the Arcade SKU. It is not "premium" enough for the hardcore that are willing to pay more, but it's leagues ahead of the PS2 at $80 more for the more price sensitive casual core gamers.

thuway

WrikaWrek said:
So only gamestop managers went to the conference, and you were calling Gamestops all over to know if anyone had impressions on R2 or whatever.

So you are telling me that you actually pick up a phone to start a conversation with a Gamestop employee? That by itself is fucked up, and to top it all you even ask about the availability of 360s, not because apparently you are looking to buy one, but simply to get a better sense on how it's doing.

That's just shheesh, goddamn man. You deserve some sort of praise to be so into it.
No. I was trying to get information for retail musings. I found out information for the PS3, 360, and Wii. I asked about preorder numbers, etc. Don't try and make this out to be something it isn't. Its totally OT. I sent you a pm. Thanks.

Taker666

Doubling sales is nice..

....... but you have to wonder how many of those new owners simply delayed their purchase by a couple of weeks due to the leaked news of the price cut.

I mean sales could have dropped 50% the week before due to people waiting for the price cut.....so doubling could simply mean it returned to its normal sales.

Mahadev said:
Since we're talking only about the first weekend I would have guessed a lot more too. But if the double sales continue for the rest of the month it would be fairly impressive.

Same reasoning. I feel sorry for anyone who bought one last Friday or Saturday :lol

Top Bottom