• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PlayStation 5 sales jumped 75% in the UK after price cut

The PS5 was cut to £399 in the UK last week
PlayStation 5 sales jumped 75% in the UK last week, Gfk has revealed.

In terms of revenue, PS5 is up 63% week-on-week.

It follows the first temporary price drop for Sony's console, with retailers selling the machine for as low as £399. Some retailers, such as Amazon and GAME, also included a game in addition to the price drop, with titles such as LEGO Star Wars: The Skywalker Saga, Forspoken and Saints Row available.
Overall, last week was the third best week of the year for PS5. The console's best weeks came in February due to a popular God of War Ragnarok hardware bundle.

Source: GamesIndustry.biz

Sony really going for that 55M units sold by this year's end isn't it?

This is before the Spider-Man 2 release, the slim sku, etc...

Last edited:

Robb

Gold Member
marketmove-mm.gif

The DualSense controllers have come down in price too here in the UK; from £60 to £40 so I picked up a blue one to use on my PC. A much better price. Now if only Sony would see (Dual)sense and reduce the ludicrous pricing on the Edge controller which currently costs a staggering £207 here in the UK from Amazon!!! That's half the price of a PS5 for a controller with a poorer battery life than the standard controller! Only Sony...

no shit. you could/can get a PS5 for £399. That's fucking bananas.

i was almost tempted to grab one but i know it's better to wait for a PS5 Slim and for games to come out that I actually want to play. I don't mind waiting

Last edited:
MS helping Sony make record profits. I wish they'd get their heads out of their asses and be a good competitor again. Not the retarded cousain who sells used cars nobody talks about at the family gathering.

jroc74

Phone reception is more important to me than human rights
A price cut is always an indicator that things aren't going as well as hoped. Especially since high global inflation over the last year is effectively already a price cut.

Its a good thing these are actually being bought. ;)

And when there are strong rumors of new models....does it matter how they get rid of current stock?

leo-j

If they really drop a slim for just $399 that’s stupid cheap, ps5 can sell at this high level at $499 for sure, the market has been exposed to yearly IPHONE purchases for $999, a 5-7 year console investment for $499 is such a steal .

Zok310

Banned
The shit is up on top if already being up.

Jim and the PS5 era team is trying to cement themselves as the beat to have ever done it.

Any failures behind this era of sie leadership?

SlimySnake

Flashless at the Golden Globes
Thats pretty good and proves that the console was overpriced before.

The slim needs to come in at $399 and 350 pounds. And then reduce its price by $50 every year until they can hit $299.

supernova8

Banned
If they really drop a slim for just $399 that’s stupid cheap, ps5 can sell at this high level at $499 for sure, the market has been exposed to yearly IPHONE purchases for $999, a 5-7 year console investment for $499 is such a steal .
Imagine if they sell a digital slim for $299 with the blu-ray drive as a $100 attachment. They basically win either way. If you just go slim-only they've got you by the digital balls (only for the temporary $100 hit) OR you go for the blu-ray addon and they just banged you $100 for an external blu-ray drive lol.

Not saying they would sell it at $299 (at this point in time at least) but imagine if Jim Ryan appeared on stage at Gamescom (directly after whatever Xbox does) and was like

It really would be one of the best moments in recent gaming event history.

Last edited:

Clear

CliffyB's Cock Holster
Just wondering if Sony's thought process might be that they can possibly force MS out of the console market completely by encouraging Xbox's logical path forwards being becoming a better version of Stadia?

Think about it; Objectively why does Xbox need a traditional console offering when they are pursuing a quite different model with XCloud and GamePass?

From a functional perspective an ultra cheap web-connected terminal device is a better entry-level offer than Series S, and from a performance/power perspective a PC is a way better option than Series X. They aren't making money on the hardware and in actuality they only really need a certain specification box for compatibility purposes; rather than filling the back-end datacentres with custom hardware why not use standard PC racks running a software emulation layer?

This way they could streamline their software development pipeline increasing output, actually make solid profit on the hardware while completely closing the Xbox ecosystem off from all competition.

The key point for me is that console hardware and the competition with the other console platforms no longer seems essential to their business model. If the number of consoles sold per generation continues to decline, but the total MAU on their services increases overall, the conclusion seems unavoidable that its simply a distraction that's draining resources at all levels.

So long as an Xbox exists as a hardware specification and a bunch of middleware libraries that connect to their platform ecosystem they can continue to rake in licensing money from third-parties.

Dr.D00p

Gold Member
Nice price drop but I still can't bring myself to get one as it would sit gathering dust 5 or 6 days a week.

Having a nice PC, I just can't help but think of consoles as one trick pony's that are just too limiting for my now sagging attention span

Top Bottom