• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The PS5 accounts for 47% of all home consoles sold this year. This time last year, PS5 accounted for 31% of the market.

Pedro Motta

"Home consoles".

Are the rest work consoles? School consoles?
Jersey Shore GIF by Jersey Shore Family Vacation

KU_

This means one of two things now has to happen:

People admit the Switch is considered a traditional “home console” and it’s lifetime sales are comparable to other home consoles.

Or

It’s not considered a home console and this isn’t nearly as impressive at that point.

So which is it?

jm89

People admit the Switch is considered a traditional “home console” and it’s lifetime sales are comparable to other home consoles.

Or

It’s not considered a home console and this isn’t nearly as impressive at that point.

So which is it?
Does it really matter?

The numbers is enough to tell us it includes switch. Otherwise Xbox has basically outsold the ps5, which is contradictory to the monthly reports.

Chris dring also mentioned all consoles in his tweet.

I'm a financial noob but it seems like little to no gain for setting such high expectations such as 25 mil. Say 20 mil and if it hits 22+ it looks better and the stock will still go up. Someone enlighten me.

Saying 25 means it would be a record year for them, which signals to the industry and to shareholders that PlayStation is stronger than its ever been and moving in an upward position.

3.3 million was certainly less than expected and I think many things factored into that. Switch had an amazing May with Zelda sales. Jedi Survivor didn't sell like hotcakes. Street Fighter isn't really going to be a system seller and Final Fantasy 16 didn't come out until late June. Diablo would have been more PC focused.

It was a pretty weak quarter for games and Sony didn't have a major 1st party release outside of the VR Horizon with limited userbase.

July is pretty barren too.

A lot of Sony's ambitions will rely on Spider-Man 2 and maybe a cheaper console.

They did 19.1 in FY22. That means they need to sell 5.9 million more units in FY23 to get to the 25 million. That's an average of 1.475 million units more per quarter.

They sold 900K units more in Q1 2023 than in Q12022. That's a deficit of 575K... certainly not the doom and gloom people would make it out to be. It isn't the start they hoped for and it puts a lot more pressure on Spider-Man to keep sales going, but 25 certainly isn't out of reach. I just don't think they have the lineup for it. They probably had higher hopes for Final Fantasy 16, Resident Evil 4*, The Last of Us P1*.

To get back on track they'll need a strong Q2, but I think it'll be a weak Q2. They'd have to get to 5.35 in Q2 to get back on track. I think it'll be closer to 2.5 to 3 million. Meaning that Spider-Man is going to need to force PS5s off shelves and it could.

good for sony but seems bizarre to me. i'm not seeing what others are seeing in this console. i'll get a PS5 when the "slim" comes out but not sure what games I'm going to buy for it other than Demons Souls and VII Rebirth.

Last edited:
It will be higher outside the UK. In Spain for example its roughly:

PS5 - 52%
Switch - 42%
Xbox Series - 5%
You are right, From Gamereactor this week, YTD in Spain is 262k for PS5, 212k for NSW and 28k for XBS. I expect XBS to do a bit better in other European markets like France, Germany and Italy but it still will be a distant third but not as non existent as it is in Spain.

Spain | Week 31, 2023 | Retail | Gamereactor
  1. Mario Kart 8 Deluxe (Switch): 3.500 /
  2. The Legend of Zelda: Tears of the Kingdom (Switch): 3.200 / >274.700
  3. Pikmin 4 (Switch): 2.000 / 14.500
  4. Nexomon: Extinction (Switch): 2.000 /
  5. Disney Illusion Island (Switch): 1.500 / 3.500
  6. FIFA 23 Legacy Edition (Switch): 1.200 /
  7. GTA V (PS4):
  8. Nintendo Switch Sports (Switch):
  9. Pokémon Escarlata y Púrpura (Switch):
  10. Super Mario Odyssey (Switch):
FIFA 23 (ALL): 2.400 /

HARDWARE:

Switch: ~4.500 / >212.500 YTD
PS5: 4.200 / 262.200 YTD
XBS: <1.000 / ~28.000 YTD

vivftp

I don't think it requires a degree in rocket surgery to figure out what occurred in Q1. In Q4 of the last FY they shipped a record number of PS5's, flooding distribution channels. Thus when Q1 of this FY started, those channels were still saturated and ordered a bit less than expected. This is backed up by the stat that they sold through more in that quarter versus what they shipped. Such a thing wouldn't be possible if those distribution channels weren't already heavily saturated.

There's also another factor in that Tom Henderson stated that they were beginning production on the new PS5 revision starting in April, meaning that stockpiling those new units would eat into the amount of consoles they would be able to ship.

Then of course there's the next factor that they're preparing to roll out PS5 streaming into the cloud. We know as of March 2023 that there were about 8 million PS+ Premium subscribers, meaning they'd likely have to put around a few million PS5s worth of components into the cloud. The only thing is we don't know when part of the production capacity was redirected to the cloud to make that happen. One would think it was more recent than a long time ago, since it hasn't been that long since component shortages were overcome.

My guesstimate is that Sony has been able to produce roughly 6-7 million PS5s per quarter after component shortages were overcome. I think the last 3 quarters roughly align with that assessment. We can only speculate what their production capacity might be like going forward with the new model.

Mr Moose

Or

So which is it?
It isn't a traditional home console but its lifetime sales can be compared to home consoles. It's still a console.

OuterLimits

Surprised it isn't higher. The only serious competition is a console in its 6th year that will likely have a successor in the next 12-18 months.

Surprised it isn't higher. The only serious competition is a console in its 6th year that will likely have a successor in the next 12-18 months.

You can buy a switch for pretty cheap and it has a huge catalog of games at this point. It's also more likely that you'd buy multiple switches for the same family than multiple PS5s.

Switch Lite can be purchased for as low as 200 dollars. If I'm a parent I can buy two of these for the price of 1 PS5 and games can be shared. Forget if you have 3 or 4 kids...

Switch Lite can even be a companion for a main switch.

ReBurn

Gold Member
Nautilus alt confirmed. No! What makes a home console is that it requires a TV or monitor to play, it doesn't have built in screens or buttons.
Is there an official rule book somewhere with this information? It would make navigating console wars so much easier. My Xbox and PlayStation both have buttons on them so what do I do?

Last edited:
Man with the curse you have been bestowed uponmaybe avoid saying that...When you said people might get baned they ended up banned, this time it is more serious.

Honestly I'm just happy with my console. If they get upset over that then it's on them. I have no issues if they prefer another system.

BlackTron

PPs5 is a beautiful console years ago they looked like VHS players, now they actually have design elements

Gamer Ps GIF by PlayStation

From VHS players to modems.

That said, I think Xbox systems are the VHS players (not that anything is wrong with that). PS had game console design elements, with a bit more...restraint. Most PS2/3/4 models were some balance between a VHS player and a console like a Sega Genesis.

Unknown?

Is there an official rule book somewhere with this information? It would make navigating console wars so much easier. My Xbox and PlayStation both have buttons on them so what do I do?
Only power and eject buttons. What is so hard to understand about what makes something portable and something not?

Last edited:

Unknown?

So I can't use TVs and monitors outside home...
What kind of nonsense is this? Obviously you can hook it up in an office or building of choice(although majority of people buy them to use at home), but it remains stationary while in use. The point that separates it, is it isn't portable. You can't move it to different rooms around the house while playing it and you can't use it on a bus, train, or on the go. Maybe you'd prefer it be called, "non-portable console?"

Last edited:

rodrigolfp

Haptic Gamepads 4 Life
What kind of nonsense is this? Obviously you can hook it up in an office or building of choice(although majority of people buy them to use at home), but it remains stationary while in use. The point that separates it, is it isn't portable. You can't move it to different rooms around the house while playing it and you can't use it on a bus, train, or on the go. Maybe you'd prefer it be called, "non-portable console?"
Using "home" is more nonsense than just calling "console" and "handheld console".

Unknown?

Using "home" is more nonsense than just calling "console" and "handheld console".
Not really because one is predominantly bought and used at home while the other is portable and can be used everywhere(even if it's only used at home it still has the option whereas traditional consoles don't have the option to be played anywhere). It has always been categorized differently for this reason.

I see what you're saying, just call one a console and the other handheld or portable console and leave out home. There's nothing wrong with that IMO.

Woopah

Not really because one is predominantly bought and used at home while the other is portable and can be used everywhere(even if it's only used at home it still has the option whereas traditional consoles don't have the option to be played anywhere). It has always been categorized differently for this reason.

I see what you're saying, just call one a console and the other handheld or portable console and leave out home. There's nothing wrong with that IMO.
At this point I'm not even sure there's any benefit in separating them. Just call all 3 machines consoles.

Three

At this point I'm not even sure there's any benefit in separating them. Just call all 3 machines consoles.
You could. You could even call a mobile a console if you like. sometimes it's good to get separate info about the usage demographics even if somewhat limited because most trackers don't separate Lite, that's the only benefit really if they did. Same way you might separate tracking discreet GPU sales and laptop GPU sales. There is no benefit but it gives more info.

Why is Venus larger than Earth and Uranus a similar size to them when it's almost the same size as Neptune which is much larger in this picture?
Some flat earthers poster?
i'm not seeing what others are seeing in this console.
It's the best PS4 (Pro) yet and since I never got a Pro that's fine with me. Since games are mostly anyway stuck in PS360 era, shorter loading times are probably all we can hope for anyway.

Woopah

You could. You could even call a mobile a console if you like. sometimes it's good to get separate info about the usage demographics even if somewhat limited because most trackers don't separate Lite, that's the only benefit really if they did. Same way you might separate tracking discreet GPU sales and laptop GPU sales. There is no benefit but it gives more info.
If they broke down the number of consoles sold into different SKUs like Famitsu does then that would be useful.

But I don't think it would make sense to say something like "Nintendo has 100% of the portable console market and 100% of the hybrid console market, while Sony has 80% of the stationary console market".

Eotheod

It is pretty clear that this generation is Microsoft's continual shift to something not quite traditional in industry standards. Whether it pays off for Microsoft, who knows, but so far it has produced some amazing conversations that are borderline crazy.

I'd trade my XSX for a PS5 but my fiance doesn't really want to game on PC because it just reminds her of work. At least with the XSX and Game Pass we have so many titles to play through, saving a ton of money there.

Top Bottom