• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PlayStation 5 sales jumped 75% in the UK after price cut

Congrats to anyone who's holding shares.
Great Gatsby Movie GIF by Sony

The shit is up on top if already being up.

Jim and the PS5 era team is trying to cement themselves as the beat to have ever done it.

Any failures behind this era of sie leadership?
All in on Gaas is gonna bite them in the ass like what happened to Naughty Dog. Other than that, smooth sailing.

Is that right? Go on explain a bit further? Seems to me they cut the price to clear old stock and build momentum.

It's not rocket science, it's marketing 101: cutting the price means they don't think they'd be able to sell the required quantity of product at full price.

We know the consensus is that the console is doing very well, and I'm not disputing it, but this is what it is.

The Switch, for example, hasn't yet needed a price cut in its market tenure, while the GameCube took a lot of cuts to boost flagging sales.

ChiefDada

Gold Member
I think it was their last quarterly report where they anticipated August to be their weakest console sales month for the entire fiscal year so it makes sense they are launching discounts now. That's what led me to believe their next showcase will be in September.

MrA

Banned
I think they are trying to clear stock and achieve their 25m. units for this FY.

In the UK, PS5 YTD sales are almost equal to the YTD sales of Switch and Xbox Series combined.
Can't imagine any other reason, I thought 25 million was out of the question based on how it was trending toward more or less ps4, but these are really aggressive sales that I didn't expect

Still 50 50 on hitting 25 , in Spain as soon as the price dropped the ps5 fell below predrop levels for atleast a week, need more data though for a better read
A 400 usd slim gives the best chance to get the job done,

As far as switch plus xbox, that's more of the xbox problem than a switch problem switch as its line 50 %ps 35 % 15% xbox

Kerotan

So the average selling price went from €570 to €490. That's still crazy high.

Can't see them going too cheap with a slim. Maybe €450 with a half decent game packed in.

But Phil says it's supply issue, pls wait

Joke outside, I still think Starfield will boost Xbox Series sales.. even if the game is more success on PC.
That interview was done just a matter of weeks ago. If what Phil said was true it take time for the extra consoles to come on the supply line. XBox Era and some Xbox fans seem to think all its takes is to outspend and outnumber SONY for studios. To me, its far more than that; XBox PR is dire and now Xbox is the highest price console.

Thief1987

It's not rocket science, it's marketing 101: cutting the price means they don't think they'd be able to sell the required quantity of product at full price.

We know the consensus is that the console is doing very well, and I'm not disputing it, but this is what it is.

The Switch, for example, hasn't yet needed a price cut in its market tenure, while the GameCube took a lot of cuts to boost flagging sales.
It's not a permanent price cut, Switch has plenty of deals as well, plus it's 300$. 200$ if you want Lite.

Last edited:

MrA

Banned
It's not a permanent price cut, Switch has plenty of deals as well, plus it's 300$. 200$ if you want Lite.
most popular switch model is 350, and hasn't had any price cuts even temporary the only deals have been a rare free Mario game, personally as an investor, I think nintendo should hit a proper price drop this Christmas and push to exceed their 15 million projection and to make sure everyone is talking nintendo at the switch successors launch

regardless of what Nintendo is doing, Sony is dropping the price to stimulate demand, they projected 25 million units this year, but they probably determined they wouldn't hit that number with current demand and instead of lowering the forecast 2 or 3 million units, they decided to run incentive programs. Basically, sony has decided to forgo some profit on hardware to accelerate hardware adoption, As an investor I get the trade-off, and I think they made the right call, as a user is likely to make up that 100 dollars somewhere

regardless of what Nintendo is doing, Sony is dropping the price to stimulate demand, they projected 25 million units this year, but they probably determined they wouldn't hit that number with current demand and instead of lowering the forecast 2 or 3 million units, they decided to run incentive programs. Basically, sony has decided to forgo some profit on hardware to accelerate hardware adoption, As an investor I get the trade-off, and I think they made the right call, as a user is likely to make up that 100 dollars somewhere
Sounds about right. It's not a good look though and a lot of marketeers recommend these sorts of discounts only if essential as it's hard to maintain the value proposition if the price goes back up. Probably this new lite model they have coming will hit this same discounted price point as standard. It's a good way of doing a stealth price cut. A good move in preparation for a new Nintendo machine next year perhaps.

personally as an investor, I think nintendo should hit a proper price drop this Christmas and push to exceed their 15 million projection and to make sure everyone is talking nintendo at the switch successors launch
It may be too late to aggressively push Switch install base with the new model imminent. More Switch sales are always good but it's more desirable to get new users on board with the new platform where they can sustain higher software attachment.

StereoVsn

So the average selling price went from €570 to €490. That's still crazy high.

Can't see them going too cheap with a slim. Maybe €450 with a half decent game packed in.
Isn't it €450 right now on sale in a lot of EU countries? At least I think in Spain, Portugal, Germany.

Codeblew

It's obvious the reason for this price cut is to clear inventory before the slim comes out. If you see a fatty PS5 sitting next to a slim PS5 on the shelf, which one are you going to pick? Nuff said.

It's obvious the reason for this price cut is to clear inventory before the slim comes out. If you see a fatty PS5 sitting next to a slim PS5 on the shelf, which one are you going to pick? Nuff said.
Exactly. They are also normalising the price. I suspect the new model will come in at the same price.

I don’t think Sony are running official ads for this price, so I assume the new model will launch at that price and the autumn marketing splurge will begin heavily featuring Spider-Man, HellDivers 2 and 3rd party games. I wouldn’t be surprised if 3 months of extra are included in the box as well.

Killjoy-NL

Thats pretty much what Phil said. Everyone thought that was a crazy statement at the time.
Anyone with a functional brain knew that will be the case, though.

People are just trying too hard to be 'platform-agnostic', afraid of being labeled a fanboy.

Kind of like gaming's Woke-mentality.

Sanepar

The shit is up on top if already being up.

Jim and the PS5 era team is trying to cement themselves as the beat to have ever done it.

Any failures behind this era of sie leadership?
You know this race is not about this gen right? This gen is done ps5 will dominate even more than ps4. This is about 10 years from now. They need to buy studios and publishers to stay in this game. Plus the big bet on gaas will be a big failure and will come to them.

most popular switch model is 350, and hasn't had any price cuts even temporary the only deals have been a rare free Mario game, personally as an investor, I think nintendo should hit a proper price drop this Christmas and push to exceed their 15 million projection and to make sure everyone is talking nintendo at the switch successors launch

or they have a new slim model coming out this year and want to clear every single stock of the current model during these summer months. the 25 million units are based on that new model as well as spider-man 2 coming out this year.

Kerotan

Isn't it €450 right now on sale in a lot of EU countries? At least I think in Spain, Portugal, Germany.
I'm just going the average selling price in the report. Yes it can be bought cheaper but most people will opt for a bundle with an extra controller or game etc.

Brucey

I think they are trying to clear stock and achieve their 25m. units for this FY.

In the UK, PS5 YTD sales are almost equal to the YTD sales of Switch and Xbox Series combined.
That's crazy when I believe for 2022 UK sales of all three were very close to each other. Amazing what more availability has done.

leo-j

Imagine if they sell a digital slim for $299 with the blu-ray drive as a $100 attachment. They basically win either way. If you just go slim-only they've got you by the digital balls (only for the temporary $100 hit) OR you go for the blu-ray addon and they just banged you $100 for an external blu-ray drive lol.

Not saying they would sell it at $299 (at this point in time at least) but imagine if Jim Ryan appeared on stage at Gamescom (directly after whatever Xbox does) and was like

It really would be one of the best moments in recent gaming event history.

Considering it’s outpacing ps4 at $499, and they just released a sold out $599 Spider-Man bundle, releasing it for less than $399 would make no sense due to high demand. I actually wouldn’t be surprised if it’s $449 with 2 TB and $549 with the disk drive attachment.

supernova8

Banned
That's crazy when I believe for 2022 UK sales of all three were very close to each other. Amazing what more availability has done.
which just goes to show that scalpers are not, have not, and never will be, providing a "service" through "arbitrage" lol

Tanner Buchanan GIF by NETFLIX

Last edited:
Top Bottom