• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NeoGAF's Album of the Year 2015 Results

Status
Not open for further replies.

Floridian

Welcome to the Results thread. Before I start, I want to say sorry for taking a bit longer than usual, it's my first time tallying such a huge amount of votes & I've been sidetracked a bit. I accounted each selection based on the placement of them, and each point was assigned to them depending on that placement.

Here's how it worked:
Album 1 = 4 points
Albums 2-3 = 3 points each
Albums 4-6 = 2 points each
Albums 7-10 = 1 point each

Interesting enough, the top album managed to pull in twice the amount of points as #2, and was the album that had the most placements at #1. There were also quite a few tie scores so the albums that were tied are placed in alphabetical order by Artist. I'm only including albums that have managed to score at least 9 points.

1. Kendrick Lamar - To Pimp A Butterfly (188 pts)
homepage_large.d47a5880.jpg

2. Grimes - Art Angels (90 pts)
homepage_large.59ef246f.jpg

3. Sufjan Stevens - Carrie & Lowell (86 pts)
homepage_large.dbfa1978.jpg

4. Tame Impala - Currents (65 pts)
homepage_large.04192b63.jpg

5. Courtney Barnett - Sometimes I Sit and Think, and Sometimes I Just Sit (52 pts)

homepage_large.43bd497f.jpg

6. Father John Misty | I Love You, Honeybear (52 pts)
homepage_large.8a2cb994.jpg

7. Jamie xx - In Colour (48 pts)
homepage_large.8f09545c.jpg

8. Julia Holter - Have You in My Wilderness (41 pts)
homepage_large.8c307c2c.jpg

9. CHVRCHES - Every Open Eye (36 pts)
homepage_large.7ae432ee.jpg

10. Oneohtrix Point Never - Garden of Delete (32 pts)
homepage_large.753fb3c9.jpg

11. Vince Staples - Summertime 06 (28 pts)
12. Carly Rae Jepsen - E.MO.TION (27 pts)
13. Chelsea Wolfe - Abyss – (27 pts)
14. Beach House - Thank Your Lucky Stars (26 pts)
15. Death Grips - The Powers That B (25 pts)
16. Susanne Sundfør - Ten Love Songs (25 pts)
17. Björk - Vulnicura (23 pts)
18. Brandon Flowers - The Desired Effect (22 pts)
19. Neon Indian - Vega INTL Night School (22 pts)
20. Travis Scott - Rodeo (20 pts)
21. Drake - If You're Reading This It's Too Late (19 pts)
22. Deafheaven - New Bermuda (18 pts)
23. Joanna Newsom - Divers (18 pts)
24. Kamasi Washington - The Epic (18 pts)
25. Baroness - Purple (17 pts)
26. Beach House - Depression Cherry (17 pts)
27. Future | Dirty Sprite (17 pts)
28. Ghost - Meliora (17 pts)
29. The Weeknd - Beauty Behind The Madness (17 pts)
30. Floating Points - Elaenia (15 pts)
31. Iron Maiden - Book of Souls – (15 pts)
32. Viet Cong - Viet Cong (15 pts)
33. Young Thug - Barter 6 (15 pts)
34. FKA Twigs - M3LL155X (EP) – (13 pts)
35. Lupe Fiasco | Tetsuo & Youth (13 pts)
36. Purity Ring - another eternity (13 pts)
37. Muse - Drones (12 pts)
38. Freddie Gibbs - Shadow of a Doubt (11 pts)
39. HEALTH - Death Magic (11 pts)
40. tricot - A N D (11 pts)
41. Miguel - Wildheart (10 pts)
42. Natalie Prass - Natalie Prass (10 pts)
43. Nightwish - Endless Forms Most Beautiful (10 pts)
44. Steven Wilson - Hand. Cannot. Erase (10 pts)
45. Tinashe - Amethyst (10 pts)
46. Alabama Shakes - Sound & Color (9 pts)
47. Arca - Mutant (9 pts)
48. Clarence Clarity - No Now (9 pts)
49. Earl Sweatshirt - I Don't Like Shit, I Don't Go Outside (9 pts)
50. Joey Bada$$ - B4.DA.$$ (9 pts)

Thewonandonly

To pimp a butterfly rightfully on the top. I would even be so inclined to call it the best rap album ever. Had so much emotion and the beats were incredible. Also K dots skills as a rapper is fully shown here with his flow and rhyming skills. A little sad to see b4 da badass so low because that is also a really good album.

To Pimp A Butterfly is not merely the best album of 2015, or the best rap album of the decade, it's one of the greatest rap albums of all time. Kendrick Lamar is on track to being one of the greatest rappers of all time.

Vanillalite

Ask me about the GAF Notebook
Pretty much as expected. Personally while liking Kendrick, Grimes, and Tame I found their records for me to be not as good as their previous joints. In particular I thought Tame was good, but a big let down.

Still they are all obvious choices though that I have no issues with.

The Sufjan album is superb, and my personal AOTY was Courtney Barnett so no big issue.

Dicer

Banned
To Pimp A Butterfly is not merely the best album of 2015, or the best rap album of the decade, it's one of the greatest rap albums of all time. Kendrick Lamar is on track to being one of the greatest rappers of all time.

Tried to listen to a song, "alright" heard the N word drop 3 times in the span of 10 seconds, so no, not my thing...

So yeah, no not the best rapper because other can do without using that shit term.

IMHO of course.

Bacon

Tried to listen to a song, "alright" heard the N word drop 3 times in the span of 10 seconds, so no, not my thing...

So yeah, no not the best rapper because other can do without using that shit term.

IMHO of course.

oh boy

IMHO of course.

Eh, I think calling it the best album of the decade is a stretch due to the fact that not everyone likes rap, but at least you tried. I think Carrie And Lowell is not far behind; that album is absolutely perfect for me. It's the album I've always wanted him to make.

Dicer

Banned

Oh boy what? it's just not my style, definitely lost the hip-hop/rap game when things leaned into angrier lyrics and N drops, it's just not my bag, I try to listen to things here and there and they just don't click.

If someone can point me to something with actual good flow, and no need for the N this N that, then I might be into it.

Eh, I think calling it the best album of the decade is a stretch due to the fact that not everyone likes rap, but at least you tried. I think Carrie And Lowell is not far behind; that album is absolutely perfect for me. It's the album I've always wanted him to make.

Gonna try everyone on the list, it's how you discover new shit...

pablito

IMHO of course.

you done did it

Oh boy what? it's just not my style, definitely lost the hip-hop/rap game when things leaned into angrier lyrics and N drops, it's just not my bag, I try to listen to things here and there and they just don't click.

If someone can point me to something with actual good flow, and no need for the N this N that, then I might be into it.
What were you into before?

Dicer

Banned
Wow, way to miss the entire point of 'Alright'.

Then do tell me what the point is, and maybe a better jumping off point?

Anyway Grimes time...

What were you into before?

Way old shit, talking de la/dmc/slick rick, newer shit like dre and em, public enemy (n word used with purpose is ok) even some shite boys like beasties and 3rd base, redman, wu was fun live... I really kinda fell off though, plenty of other stuff to listen too...

And Grimes, this shits pretty good, I had heard, REALiTi before but I had forgotten, just listened to Kill V. Maim which is good too, added to the "will listen list"

Agreed. One of my favorite albums ever, completely blew my expectations away. Really have zero faults It's the album he wanted to make and it's Kendrick's best work yet and I'm even more excited to see where he takes his sound next.

Really surprised that the Grimes album got more votes than Carrie and Lowell. Hauntingly beautiful album.

Agreed. One of my favorite albums ever, completely blew my expectations away. Really have zero faults It's the album he wanted to make and it's Kendrick's best work yet and I'm even more excited to see where he takes his sound next.

Really surprised that the Grimes album got more votes than Carrie and Lowell. Hauntingly beautiful album.

Good Kidd maad city is not far behind, at that. Both albums are in my top ten favorite rap albums of all time, TPAB at five and good kidd is at six.

Grimes is alright. Sufjan Stevens deserved to come in second.

Gonna try everyone on the list, it's how you discover new shit...

Kendrick Lamar - How Much a Dollar Cost

Regiruler

yeah I mean it isn't that I dislike what is on the list, it is just my taste of music is pretty hipster. Also I know gaf loves hip/hop and I am not the biggest fan of it.
I still don't understand why that is. It's not a genre particularly associated with GAF's primary demographic.

You would think metal would be higher than rap/hh, not the other way around.

Fat4all

Banned
Then do tell me what the point is, and maybe a better jumping off point?

'Alright' is a bleak and depressing reality. It's the world many black people live in and try to get by in. It's the world they have to carry on their backs while they die left right and center. It's one of the realist tracks because of how black people deal with their oppressive surrounding with their own expression and talents. Kendrick escaped it to some degree, but could just as easily be a victim to it til this day. He's always tied to it, even while being successful.

Back when I first heard Swimming Pools I knew that Lamar was someone rapping about much more than he seemed to, shit's magical. Hell, my interpretation is probably a lot different than others.

But sure, they said a bad word so turn that off immediately.

I still don't understand why that is. It's not something particularly associated with its primary demographic.
Hip Hop has always had a very large white demographic. I believe its largest demographic in terms of sales are white females.

But really, Hip hop is just an insanely popular genre. Has been for quite some time. It's not seen as something as inaccessible like metal often is.

Bacon

I liked the other track more, the back beat on this one sounds a bit disjointed, dat ending tho, still much better than alright unless I am issing apoint will go back for a full listen...

As for Sufjan Stevens, not my thing, way too mellow, like audio Prozac...keep on down the list.

Sorry Kendrick Fans, didn't mean to rustle the hive, lol

Dw, I appreciate your effort to give it a shot at least. And how much a dollar cost is an excellent song as well.

I liked the other track more, the back beat on this one sounds a bit disjointed, dat ending tho, still much better than alright unless I am issing apoint will go back for a full listen...

As for Sufjan Stevens, not my thing, way too mellow, like audio Prozac...keep on down the list.

listen to this one too

Kendrick Lamar - Untitled 1

I really enjoyed Sufjan's album and the sound really fits the tone of the album as it's him expressing his strained relationship with his recently passed mother.

Vanillalite

Ask me about the GAF Notebook

I think it's fantastic, but it's really sad. So I can't listen to it often without getting moody.

I was confused when King Kunta was voted #2 on the hottest 100 here in Australia and I'm confused here too.

His songs just don't sound good to me and I always thought rap was a lot more niche. Just not my thing.

I still don't understand why that is. It's not a genre particularly associated with GAF's primary demographic.

You would think metal would be higher than rap/hh, not the other way around.

I agree. I like some rap, like I really enjoyed TPAB but overall the scene isn't for me. I am surprised as a whole gaf loves it so much.

Reddit has a huge metal and rap community so maybe I shouldn't find it too surprising but gaf is much much smaller than reddit.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom