• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Kotaku: Conflict between Nintendo and Amazon just keeps getting stranger

Kind of weird? I don't know the story behind it.

I've been following this story with quite some interest over the past couple of years, and here's a new wrinkle: now, as spotted by Kotaku tipster Danny, Amazon is actually shilling for other consoles on Nintendo console pages.

"Also consider the PlayStation Vita," Amazon writes on their page for the 3DS:

original.png

"Wait a minute," you must be saying. "Surely that's a standard practice for Amazon's listings? I bet the Vita also encourages you to go check out the 3DS."

Nope.

original.png

And what of the Wii U, Nintendo's newest gaming machine?

Well, that Amazon page tells you to consider buying yourself an Xbox 360. Or maybe a PS3. And hey, did you know that Sony just announced the PlayStation 4?

original.png

Source

Damn even the vita is selling out over the wii U.

Also yeah there's obviously some bad blood here for some reason. Or maybe they just want the Vita to sell because they have a lot of them.

This isn't bad, nor is it new. Amazon has been doing this for many months. Can't blame them for advertising what they actually carry.

When you're only doing it to those viewing Nintendo platforms, it kinda is.

They're a business, not an equal opportunity charity.

this is so strange. I mean for whatever reason I have never needed Nintendo hardware from amazon, but they always have the Nintendo software I want (at a cost) but never really thought more about it.

jschreier

Thanks for posting my article. It'd be appreciated if you put a link up top instead of just taking all the quotes/images and sticking a tiny "source" link on bottom, though. Cheers!

Phawx

Can anyone link or briefly summerize this beef between Amazon and Nintendo. Last I can even remember reading into it was something about the 3DS and Amz wanting to discount but Nintendo wouldn't let them. And then Walmart dropped the price on the 3DS.

Is it that?

GQman2121

Banned
I think the fact the some Wii U games carry the Wii logo right next to the PS360 ones is a bigger problem for Nintendo on Amazon.

EloquentM

aka Mannny
This isn't bad, nor is it new. Amazon has been doing this for many months. Can't blame them for advertising they actually carry.
You really can't but I wish both companies would shed some light on this. Amazon is a big retailer and the exclusion of Nintendo consoles isn't particularly good for both companies, at least in the case of the 3DS. The Wii u wouldn't sell regardless, lol.

DaBoss

Can anyone link or briefly summerize this beef between Amazon and Nintendo. Last I can even remember reading into it was something about the 3DS and Amz wanting to discount but Nintendo wouldn't let them. And then Walmart dropped the price on the 3DS.

Is it that?

Something about screen scratching and stuff.

You really can't but I wish both companies would shed some light on this. Amazon is a big retailer and the exclusion of Nintendo consoles isn't particularly good for both companies, at least in the case of the 3DS. The Wii u wouldn't sell regardless, lol.

Yeah, Kotaku's story is weak. Instead of posting something that's been going on for a long long time, why not do some digging and find out the real story behind the mini-feud that led to this?

Meh, I doubt this has any effect.

Amazon not selling Nintendo hardware directly definitely has an effect.

amazon keeps track what you have been browsing, lets say I have been searching for lets say ''Spider-Man'. You will end up having lots of Spider-Man popping up when searching for a DVD and whatever.

sangreal

Didn't realize this was still going on. I thought last I looked they had started selling WiiU directly. Guess not

Krev

Unconfirmed Member
Yeah, Kotaku's story is weak. Instead of posting something that's been going on for a long long time, why not do some digging and find out the real story behind the mini-feud that led to this?
They tried a while back and couldn't find anything.
Yeah, maybe they should try harder, but this story is funny and I'm glad they posted it.

Eric C

Is it that?
Everything we know has been speculation so far. Amazon stopped selling Nintendo hardware in the summer of 2011.

Some also speculated it was because of high returns of the 3DS, because of the screen scratching.

But so far this "statement" from Reggie is the only thing we've officially heard from either side about the issue.

http://kotaku.com/5944662/something...ntendo-and-amazon-but-neither-side-is-talking

"We don't talk about our specific business practices with individual retailers, and so you're not going to get any more information from me specific to Amazon or any of our different retail partners," he told me last week in an interview.

"What I can tell you is they are selling software, and [there] are resellers that are on the site selling hardware as well, but you're right: Amazon as a direct sale company currently does not sell Nintendo hardware."

DaBuddaDa

Of course Amazon would point you in the direction of products they actually sell themselves. This isn't new or strange.

Stinkles

Clothed, sober, cooperative
amazon keeps track what you have been browsing, lets say I have been searching for lets say ''Spider-Man'. You will end up having lots of Spider-Man popping up when searching for a DVD and whatever.

Yup. And more like, "Maybe you'd be interested in Hulk" etc.

There is nothing weird or unusual about Amazon suggesting other console hardware while browsing for console hardware. It does that for REALLY OBVIOUS REASONS.

Yeah, they have a business reason for it.

You don't become the #1 online retailer (they are, right?) by holding silly grudges and fostering petty conflicts.

I mean, if this were a "neutral" site, like IGN doing it - yeah, there's an issue. A retailer doing it? Like others have said, they're not a charity. Nintendo can always pull their stuff off Amazon.

kewlmyc

I thought it had to do something with Nintendo products being released on Sunday or something.

ultron87

Holy shit, they even use the entire 3DS Product Description section to talk about the differences between it, the PSP and the Vita. The Vita gets a nicely formatted PR blurb on its page.

There is nothing weird or unusual about Amazon suggesting other console hardware while browsing for console hardware. It does that for REALLY OBVIOUS REASONS.

This is so different and more extreme than it does for every other system though.

Except it doesn't do it like this with anything else. For instance, if I spend a week searching for Playstation games and it knows I'm interested in them, it's not going to recommend an Xbox 360 to me when I look at a PS3. They only do this with Nintendo hardware. For good reason. I applaud them for it.

Amazon not selling Nintendo hardware has an effect but Amazon recommending the PS4/Vita when you check Nintendo hardware pages most likely doesn't.

EloquentM

aka Mannny
You guys are making something out of nothing.

That's funny because when I go to the page for Xbox 360 it recommends me Microsoft game console products. It's similarly as funny when I go to playstation 3's page and I'm recommended Sony products. Definitely nothing.

BlackJace

Except it doesn't do it like this with anything else. For instance, if I spend a week searching for Playstation games and it knows I'm interested in them, it's not going to recommend an Xbox 360 to me when I look at a PS3. They only do this with Nintendo hardware. For good reason. I applaud them for it.

What?

Top Bottom