• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

No wonder Best Buy is going under

I normally stick up for retailers, as a retail employee, I understand bad customers try to get away with shit. However, I just got this lovely note on my receipt after making a return. Last week I had returned an ASUS gaming laptop because I failed to realize that it didn't have a disc drive.

Apparently, you are a criminal to Best Buy for making even a legitimate return.

Je41Nok.jpeg

I thought they had done good with matching Amazon, however after this, its Amazon 100%. So much for my preorders with Best Buy and their $20 deal. =/

Jobiensis

Have you looked at what the report says about you? I believe you can see it online.

What do you mean by it didn't have a disc drive? Was there a part missing?

Tunavi

Banned
You screwed up and cost them money because now they probably can't sell that product as new now, right?

Their return policy clearly allows the return of products such as a laptop, even if you dont like it on the 30th day of the time frame. I dont see how me, returning the laptop a day later is fraudulent. If its going to cost them money, then bring back the restocking fee.

Wario64

works for Gamestop (lol)
Not sure why you guys are attacking Square. A return is a return. At the least, they could charge him a restocking fee. I doubt Square has a long history of returns.

DO you have a history of returns Square?

3N16MA

Banned
Have you returned anything else recently? Perhaps you were flagged for returning too many products within a certain time frame.

It's 90 days. How much stuff do you buy and return there anyways?

And seriously, you buy a laptop and do no research first to see what it includes?

JaseMath

You're also allowed only receipt-free return (provided the product is still in the original packaging) per year. BURN 'EM.

BocoDragon

or, How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Realize This Assgrab is Delicious
Have you made other returns recently? This just might be the straw that broke the camel's back.

do you have a lot of returns?

they started tracking returns by licenses for about a year or more.

they flag high return volumes

Aggrotek

Not sure why you guys are attacking Square. A return is a return. At the least, they could charge him a restocking fee. I doubt Square has a long history of returns.

They do this because of people preordering stuff and then just returning it. People do this all the time when a game comes out and they buy it via newegg or some shit, and get a better deal than full price. Then just return the copy bought at Best Buy and get your money back.

xxracerxx

Don't worry, I'll vouch for them.
It says right at the bottom that you can dispute this. And are you really making that many returns that you are worried that 90 days is too short?

xelios

Universal Access can be found under System Preferences
They're going under because everything is overpriced vs online and a lot of people like me only go there in an emergency situation where we can't or don't want to wait for something to ship, or for extremely rare deals/sales a couple times a year. There's also a big problem with people looking at what they're seeing in the store online on their phones and comparing prices. I've seen it a lot and I'm sure it doesn't help.

I don't understand this weird attempt at a manufactured thread backfire.

He didn't damage it and try to return it. At worst he should have to pay a restocking fee, not be suspected of trying to return it under suspicious circumstances and be banned from returning things.

This is really shitty customer relations and I'm a little surprised at it.

darkside31337

Tomodachi wa Mahou
I'm pretty sure they're going under for other reasons that aren't related to customer service.

Actually I'd argue this is one of the most fitting reasons why.

Outsourcing your customer services to a really shitty company instead of actually attempting customer service leads to this bullshit.

I don't understand this weird attempt at a manufactured thread backfire.

He didn't damage it and try to return it. At worst he should have to pay a restocking fee, not be suspected of trying to return it under suspicious circumstances and be banned from returning things.

This is really shitty customer relations and I'm a little surprised at it.

The Retail Equation is basically Certegy for checks. It attempts to flag people likely to return purchases, just like Certegy attempts to flag people likely to pass bad checks.

To the OP: Request a report and see why you got that message, I highly doubt it'd be just from that purchase.

dc89

So you fucked up and blame them?

I missed the part where you made legitimate returns...

You screwed up and cost them money because now they probably can't sell that product as new now, right?

Wait what?! In America the consensus is you can't return a product if you make a genuine mistake without being made to feel you've done something wrong and you deserve to be treated like a child with a slapped wrist?

UK retail might be shitty at the moment, but I'd take it over this any day.

You should blame other shitty customers that Best Buy has had to deal with, not Best Buy.

That being said, when I used to work there about 10 years ago, the returns department was graded on how few returns they accepted. The less they accept back, the better. My store in Houston was top 5 in te country. People hated those girls in the front.

Alcibiades

If the laptop was open and didn't have a defect or manufacturer issue then you have no business returning it. Next time do your research.

Jobiensis

Some of you need to go to the retail equation's website and see what they do. It doesn't seem like it was just this transaction that triggered it, and it is only a 90 day hold on returns.

stufte

I normally stick up for retailers, as a retail employee, I understand bad customers try to get away with shit. However, I just got this lovely note on my receipt after making a return. Last week I had returned an ASUS gaming laptop because I failed to realize that it didn't have a disc drive.

Apparently, you are a criminal to Best Buy for making even a legitimate return.

I thought they had done good with matching Amazon, however after this, its Amazon 100%. So much for my preorders with Best Buy and their $20 deal. =/

So is this the ONLY thing you've returned? My wife got black listed from making returns to Walmart (lol) because she'd buy things and return them more often then she should have.

If not, is there.... other reasons why they'd put you on a return block?

dallow_bg

nods at old men
Just need one more piece of info.
Do you do a lot of returns?

If not, then, yeah, dumb note.
If so, you may want to call that number and explain.

Aggrotek

Wait what?! In America you can't return a product if you make a genuine mistake without being made to feel you've done something wrong and you deserve to be treated like a child with a slapped wrist?

UK retail might be shitty at the moment, but I'd take it over this any day.

I guess my point was, in 3 months how much do you need to return? If it's a major issue with a product I doubt they will turn you away.

They do this because of people preordering stuff and then just returning it. People do this all the time when a game comes out and they buy it via newegg or some shit, and get a better deal than full price. Then just return the copy bought at Best Buy and get your money back.

And? If you can get a better deal someplace else, you should do that. EVERYONE should. Best Buy should be more concerned with buying things in their store more attractive, not this anti consumer shit that the OP posted.

Wow at this thread. People will defend ANYTHING.

Eusis

Actually, now that I think about it I like that as an option: return for free but take a chance at not being able to return anything within the next 90 days, or pay the restocking fee but not worry, that way if you're reasonably confident you won't need to keep doing it you can just get the cost fully eliminated.

... But, yeah, this is bullshit.

Sounds like they're paying for your mistake, and then passing that savings along back to you. Now you both get to pay for your own mistake. If it makes you research your bigger purchases more fully in the future, they've done you a favor. If you didn't pay a restock fee, you got off lucky.

So you fucked up and blame them?

He's not blaming them for his fuck-up, he's blaming them for having a questionable return policy. Separate issues.

Also, this is kind of a shitty policy. Can't imagine the stress this causes some people during the holiday season.

Wait what?! In America the consensus is you can't return a product if you make a genuine mistake without being made to feel you've done something wrong and you deserve to be treated like a child with a slapped wrist?

Nah, it's because OP wants a pity party and won't take responsibility for a mistake he made. And all Best Buy is doing is saying he can't return anything for 90 days. Where's the big corporate malfeasance here?

Top Bottom