• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Xbox and Best Buy Launch Stunning SpongeBob-Inspired Special Edition Xbox Bundle

Topher

Gold Member
That's what the rare collector in me is thinking. On the surface it's ridiculous, but if it's in rare quantities in a couple of years it might be hitting 2-3k.

Risky investment without knowing what the quantities are. They sold the Halo Infinite limited edition for $550 and it is selling on ebay (used) for a little more than that. Saw a sealed one that sold for $850.

Quantum253

Risky investment without knowing what the quantities are. They sold the Halo Infinite limited edition for $550 and it is selling on ebay (used) for a little more than that. Saw a sealed one that sold for $850.
100%. It's extremely risky and most everything ends up being a loss. I loved the Halo Infinite CE console. That sold out fast and I'm surprised it's only going for 850 sealed. It's a fun hobby to have something unique, but any type of investment isn't probably a good idea.

reinking

Gold Member
LOL. The stunning part of this is they can get away with jacking the price for Nickelodeon All Stars bundle. Cute XBSX but not cute enough for the price increase. At least it is not a Sponge Bob wrap.

Topher

Gold Member
LOL. The stunning part of this is they can get away with jacking the price for Nickelodeon All Stars bundle. Cute XBSX but not cute enough for the price increase. At least it is not a Sponge Bob wrap.

Spongeflation my man

sponge satisfying GIF

DaGwaphics

I like the idea of truly special edition consoles much more so than the plates and wraps and those kinds of things. However, a $200 premium (from MSRP) is not the best. The TMNT one they had designed like this was really cool, IMO. I would consider trading in my basic XSX unit for one like that. Maybe they should do wrap with this design and bundle it with a version of the game, at least the wraps are only $50.

Jaybe

Is it really a custom paint job, or one of these cheap wrap things?

nick776

I am considering making a career change and just taking over Phil's job. If they don't want to save the Xbox brand, I would love to have a crack at it.
Are the decisions Xbox makes not the dumbest, most bone-headed things imaginable? It's beyond belief.

Matsuchezz

This shit will do what Starfield couldn't, it will move the needle towards MS dominance and this will anchor the next console branded as the biggest tech jump we have ever seen in consoles to date. Brilliance.
Believe Jason Sudeikis GIF by Apple TV

Ozzie666

Licensing costs at work here? it's the only explanation. Kind of a cool looking console though.
Obviously the don't know their audience though.

sendit

“I understand that our recent release of the SpongeBob-themed Xbox Series X has stirred quite a bit of passion within our community, particularly concerning its price point. I want to assure everyone that this special edition console, priced at $700, reflects not just a unique design but also the exceptional effort and creativity invested into bringing such a distinctive piece to our fans. Our aim with these limited editions is to offer something special and collectible for those who have a deep appreciation for both gaming and iconic cultural references. We are closely listening to all feedback and are committed to ensuring that our products, special editions included, offer value and choice to the diverse needs and preferences of our Xbox community.” -Phil Spencer

King Dazzar

Just thinking more about Xbox. They do have quite a lot of energy for some wacky stuff at times. I remember the fridges they did looking like an XSX. They sold out a couple of times too iirc. Then there were the chocolate controllers too...

But this just seems to be a decision born of total delusion to the reality of what's needed to get Xbox's selling.

Top Bottom