• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

pal charts week 52

Sharp

TheRipDizz said:
That's BS. The GBA made the DS a success as far as third party support is concerned...and the GBC before that, and the original GB before that. Nintendo pulled a Saturn putting the DS on the market to ward off the PSP. It was not ready for prime time and a prety substantive software drought occured post launch because of it. Nintendo's first party strength did nothing to make third parties stay with the platform. They were caught off guard, but never left.

The Wii on the otherhand.......
What you said about the DS definitely isn't true, at least in Japan. SE would never have put DQIX on a platform that they didn't believe to be far and away the most successful platform around, nor would Namco have put a proper Tales game. First-party success really did eventually lead to third parties jumping aboard the bandwagon.

Sharp said:
What you said about the DS definitely isn't true, at least in Japan. SE would never have put DQIX on a platform that they didn't believe to be far and away the most successful platform around, nor would Namco have put a proper Tales game. First-party success really did eventually lead to third parties jumping aboard the bandwagon.
Are you somehow implying that the DS, even in Japan, didn't have massive amounts of third party titles on it before SE made its DQIX announcment? Hmm.

All the SE development tells me is that the Japanese gaming public turned its collective back on console gaming and there really was no other choice about that decsion.

dolemite

So it looks like the Wii software charts only when the hardware is there to bundle with.
No Wiis == Mario and Sonic not on the charts.

TheRipDizz said:
It hadn't reached #1 even when it was readily available. : /

True, but I'm pretty sure it would of given the huge crowds at every wii section in every store in my town with no copies of Mario anywhere to be seen.

Lobster

Banned
dolemite said:
So it looks like the Wii software charts only when the hardware is there to bundle with.
No Wiis == Mario and Sonic not on the charts.

Did you read that article?

Sega’s All Formats Top 10 representative is no longer ‘Mario & Sonic at the Olympic Games’ which due to lack of stock falls out of the All Formats Top 40 after last week’s No9 placing, and is replaced with ‘The Golden Compass’, up one place to No10.

D.Lo

Are software shortages a distribution issue or a production issue? There aren't usually software shortages in Japan and the US (I believe?), yet Europe gets this, as well as that 'plastic shortage' that affected DS game cases etc . What is it about Europe? Here in Australia the only shortages ever are hardware (including Guitars).

Does this mean demand was underestimated? With longer supply chains so re-stock is slower? Or is it a genuine screw up? Stock shortage for software at Christmas seems like possibly the worst thing you could ever do in this business.

D.Lo said:
Are software shortages a distribution issue or a production issue? There aren't usually software shortages in Japan and the US (I believe?), yet Europe gets this, as well as that 'plastic shortage' that affected DS game cases etc . What is it about Europe? Here in Australia the only shortages ever are hardware (including Guitars).

Does this mean demand was underestimated? With longer supply chains so re-stock is slower? Or is it a genuine screw up? Stock shortage for software at Christmas seems like possibly the worst thing you could ever do in this business.

Its not unusual to see empty shelves in stores this time of year, in the UK the sales start after Christmas and the shops are rammed and the staff barely have time to restock the shelves.

However I dont know what stores the people above have been saying that Uncharted and SMG have sold out in, I see copies of those games in all the stores I pop into.

Lobster

Banned
dolemite said:
The game is indeed out of stock at GAME.co.uk and Amazon.co.uk.
Software shortages? WTF!

Its retarded I know..but..this is SEGAs biggest hit in a while..they probably don't know about this so called success.

Nintendo had the same problem a while back in late 2006. Then again, that was with the DS and carts, which are harder to produce than optical media.

TheRipDizz said:
Are you somehow implying that the DS, even in Japan, didn't have massive amounts of third party titles on it before SE made its DQIX announcment? Hmm.

All the SE development tells me is that the Japanese gaming public turned its collective back on console gaming and there really was no other choice about that decsion.
No there was support, but like the Wii it was shitty support. If the DS performed like the GBA there's no chance DQIX would've went on the DS.

MadFuzzy

Pureauthor said:
Nintendo had the same problem a while back in late 2006. Then again, that was with the DS and carts, which are harder to produce than optical media.

As far as I can tell, Nintendo manufactures both their carts AND discs in Japan (look at the back of any PAL DS or Wii game), then ships them to Europe and assembles things in Germany before they can go out to retail, and this is something that they've done for a very long time.

Sony and Microsoft manufacture everything in Europe, which means they probably have faster turnarounds when it comes to printing more copies of games that are in demand.

I think Assassin's Creed was helped by the major reductions in price at Game this last week. When I went in it was like £40 for the collector's edition with statue.

Android18a said:
I think Assassin's Creed was helped by the major reductions in price at Game this last week. When I went in it was like £40 for the collector's edition with statue.

I think AC has been at £30 for both consoles since around the 18th December, as well as being included in a few stores bundle offers.

It came with my Arcade console, thought it promptly got sold. I'll lend it off my brother when I'm done with Mass Effect.

BishopLamont said:
No there was support, but like the Wii it was shitty support. If the DS performed like the GBA there's no chance DQIX would've went on the DS.
That's just wrong. The support was massive from the get go. As soon as the new Nintendo handheld was announced, third parties started making there new handheld games on it. Been standard procedure for the last twenty years.

What changed midway through the cycle this time around was the game buying public in Japan's decisive dropoff in console gaming. This is what led to stuff like the DQIX announcment. You could argue that this is because the DS is so blindingly succesful, but that is only partially true since Japan has been experiencing a decline in console gaming for quite a while, before the DS even exhisted. Either way the success of the DS was not by a long shot only due to the strength of Nintendo's first party, which was the point I was refuting in the first place, as the DS has seen great, near universal 3rd party support from near its onset. The lull of games in the first six months of the DS' life was due to the reactionary way in which Nintendo launched the system and nothing more, as evidenced by the first E3 proceding the launch, in which many were surprised at just how much content was in line for the system given its rocky birth.

TheRipDizz said:
That's just wrong. The support was massive from the get go. As soon as the new Nintendo handheld was announced, third parties started making there new handheld games on it. Been standard procedure for the last twenty years.

What changed midway through the cycle this time around was the game buying public in Japan's decisive dropoff in console gaming. This is what led to stuff like the DQIX announcment. You could argue that this is because the DS is so blindingly succesful, but that is only partially true since Japan has been experiencing a decline in console gaming for quite a while, before the DS even exhisted. Either way the success of the DS was not by a long shot only due to the strength of Nintendo's first party, which was the point I was refuting in the first place, as the DS has seen great, near universal 3rd party support from near its onset. The lull of games in the first six months of the DS' life was due to the reactionary way in which Nintendo launched the system and nothing more, as evidenced by the first E3 proceding the launch, in which many were surprised at just how much content was in line for the system given its rocky birth.
Ok so name me those big third party titles for the DS in it's early life that even compares to DQ:Swords for the Wii? Honestly using the DS to downplay the Wii's success is pretty stupid.

Jokeropia

TheRipDizz said:
That's BS. The GBA made the DS a success as far as third party support is concerned...and the GBC before that, and the original GB before that. Nintendo pulled a Saturn putting the DS on the market to ward off the PSP. It was not ready for prime time and a prety substantive software drought occured post launch because of it. Nintendo's first party strength did nothing to make third parties stay with the platform. They were caught off guard, but never left.
Haven't done your research, huh? The majority of the publisher community believed that PSP would win and placed their support accordingly to begin with. (Pledging PSP installments of almost every major PS2 franchise.) This is beside the point however, since if you remove Nintendo's mega hits the DS would indeed have lost against the PSP which was my point in the first place. (And obviously, had the DS lost it would not have gotten the third party support it has today.)
TheRipDizz said:
It hadn't reached #1 even when it was readily available. : /
Uh, yes it did. It was even #1 in the all format combined SKU chart for a while.
TheRipDizz said:
What changed midway through the cycle this time around was the game buying public in Japan's decisive dropoff in console gaming.
Actually, there's a home console on the market right now that's tracking above every home console before it, both in terms of hardware and software.
TheRipDizz said:
Either way the success of the DS was not by a long shot only due to the strength of Nintendo's first party, which was the point I was refuting in the first place, as the DS has seen great, near universal 3rd party support from near its onset.
You could not be more wrong. Are you honestly trying to say that the DS would've been the same success even without Nintendogs, Brain Training, New Super Mario Bros, Animal Crossing, Pokemon, Mario Kart DS etc. (All of which have sold well above 10 million.) If you've followed Media-Create you can even pinpoint the exact moment that Nintendogs and Brain Training won the market for DS.

Jokeropia said:
Haven't done your research, huh? The majority of the publisher community believed that PSP would win and placed their support accordingly to begin with. This is beside the point however, since if you remove Nintendo's mega hits the DS would indeed have lost against the PSP which was my point in the first place. (And obviously, had the DS lost it would not have gotten the third party support it has today.)
Uh, yes it did. It was even #1 in the all format combined SKU chart for a while.
Actually, there's a home console on the market right now that's tracking above every home console before it, both in terms of hardware and software.You could not be more wrong. Are you honestly trying to say that the DS would've been the same success even without Nintendogs, Brain Training, New Super Mario Bros, Animal Crossing, Pokemon, Mario Kart DS etc. (All of which have sold well above 10 million.) If you've followed Media-Create you can even pinpoint the exact moment that Nintendogs and Brain Training won the market for DS.

Did you read that before you wrote it? Because that's about as stupid a statement as I've ever read. "Most" third parties were counting on a Nintendo handheld to fail. :lol I sould be done seriously responding to you right there, but let's keep playing.

In the UK. Could be mistaken, but I think not.

The Wii is tracking better than the PS2 in Japan? News to me. If you are talking about different markets, maybe. I was refering to Japan.

Anyways, who's discounting the mega hits Nintendo had on the DS? Are you saying that I am? Would you you care to point out exactly where I made that proclaimation? I did and have not discounted anything. I am refuting those who discount the third party games on the system, so in a sense I am only giving credit. Something, taken by your post, you obviosly disagree with.

BishopLamont said:
Ok so name me those big third party titles for the DS in it's early life that even compares to DQ:Swords for the Wii? Honestly using the DS to downplay the Wii's success is pretty stupid.
Did you just prop up a spinoff franchise as some sort of merit for the system?

The DS received GBA support, in the sense that many of the devs who'd worked on GBA franchises simply spiffed the franchises up a little and continued them on the DS. Does that count as 'massive'? Well, that's your call.

Did you just prop up a spinoff franchise as some sort of merit for the system?

In the sense that a DQ spinoff is bigger than some series' mainline games? Sure, why not.

Pureauthor said:
The DS received GBA support, in the sense that many of the devs who'd worked on GBA franchises simply spiffed the franchises up a little and continued them on the DS. Does that count as 'massive'? Well, that's your call.
Only if said GBA support was massive.

Oh wait. It was.

Pureauthor said:
In the sense that a DQ spinoff is bigger than some series' mainline games? Sure, why not.
So I guess Crystal Chronicals was the turning point for the Gamecube now, since, you know, the Cube got is own Final Fantasy and all.

Seriously.

TheRipDizz said:
So I guess Crystal Chronicals was the turning point for the Gamecube now, since, you know, the Cube got is own Final Fantasy and all.

Seriously.

You're missing the point - deliberately or not, I can't tell. That the 'Cube received a FF spinoff is true. The problem is that the PS2 received an FF mainline game, which beats FF spinoff anyday.

The response would be more like - if one system received a FF:CC, and another system received the next instalment of an Idea Factory franchise - which system has the better Japanese support?

BeeDog

Wow, AC holding the throne steadily. Is the game slated to hit the PC anytime soon? If yes, I'll wait a bit and play it there instead of grabbing the PS3 version (all the negativity surrounding the game keeps me from buying it at full retail console price, despite me wanting to try it out).

BeeDog said:
Wow, AC holding the throne steadily. Is the game slated to hit the PC anytime soon? If yes, I'll wait a bit and play it there instead of grabbing the PS3 version (all the negativity surrounding the game keeps me from buying it at full retail console price, despite me wanting to try it out).

You're not in the UK, I presume? It's pretty heavily discounted right now.

Wii will keep selling regardless of more third parties putting half-arsed games on the format. People who want a Wii won't be swayed by the others - it's too distinct, too different, too unique. Mario Kart Wii & Smash Bros. will be by far the top sellers worldwide over the next six months.

One of the best things about this generation will be the number of idiotic developers/publishers who are nudged to the brink of going out of business due to their steadfast refusal to bring even a slight approximation of their best products to the console. We'll see a lot of crap flushed out of the industry. :D

Pureauthor said:
You're missing the point - deliberately or not, I can't tell. That the 'Cube received a FF spinoff is true. The problem is that the PS2 received an FF mainline game, which beats FF spinoff anyday.

The response would be more like - if one system received a FF:CC, and another system received the next instalment of an Idea Factory franchise - which system has the better Japanese support?
The system that recieved the real Final Fantasy? Anything else is derisive crap that doesn't get the benefit of the doubt of the franchise that it's tied to and must stand on its own merits.

Also, what point that I'm missing are you refering to? I'm getting pelted on so many sides, I lost track with you particualr issue. :(

Raist

Banned
TheDrowningMan said:
You're not in the UK, I presume? It's pretty heavily discounted right now.

Really ? What's the reason. Is it a retailer specific thing ?
Because in France it's still 70 euros...

TheDrowningMan said:
Wii will keep selling regardless of more third parties putting half-arsed games on the format.

One of the best things about this generation will be the number of idiotic developers/publishers who are nudged to the brink of going out of business due to their steadfast refusal to bring their best products to the console. We'll see a lot of crap flushed out of the industry. :D
Ubisoft begs to disagree. :D

TheRipDizz said:
The system that recieved the real Final Fantasy?

Also, what point that I'm missing are you refering to? I'm getting pelted on so many sides, I lost track with you particualr issue. :(

You're claiming that receiving a spinoff title doesn't constitue good support. I then replied that, relative to mainline titles from smaller franchises, it could still constitute 'better' support.

TheRipDizz said:
Ubisoft begs to disagree. :D

AC is a masterpiece of hype and advertising. Even though the game is by no means among the year's best, I think the way in which they've wooed their audience has been incredible. They've done a brilliant job with that game.

Pureauthor said:
You're claiming that receiving a spinoff title doesn't constitue good support. I then replied that, relative to mainline titles from smaller franchises, it could still constitute 'better' support.
Sure, but better than what though? The PS3? The 360? That's not really saying much and couldn't be construed as any great indicator of the health of the Wii or console gaming in general in Japan for that matter, which was the point I was trying to make in the first place.

Jokeropia

TheRipDizz said:
Did you read that before you wrote it? Because that's about as stupid a statement as I've ever read. "Most" third parties were counting on a Nintendo handheld to fail. :lol
Yes. The majority of the industry expected a N64 vs. PS1 repeat. This was especially true in the West where PSP had massive EA support and an exclusive GTA coming.
TheRipDizz said:
In the UK.
In the UK, yes. Here you go. (Again, note that this is the all format chart which combines multiplatform games.)
TheRipDizz said:
The Wii is tracking better than the PS2 in Japan?
Yes, and I'm not surprised it's news to you since it's pretty obvious you haven't done your research.
TheRipDizz said:
I am refuting those who discount the third party games on the system, so in a sense I am only giving credit. Something, taken by your post, you obviosly disagree with.
I am saying it was Nintendo's games that made the DS a success, not the third parties. Since you clearly have a problem with that, can you please name the third party games released during the first year of the system that had a crucial impact on it's success?

Jokeropia said:
I am saying it was Nintendo's games that made the DS a success, not the third parties. Since you clearly have a problem with that, can you please name the third party games released during the first year of the system that had a crucial impact on it's success?

Shh....five million (each) sold of NSMB, Animal Crossing & Brain Training in Japan have a ton of 3rd party equivalents. :lol

nli10

Visualante said:
Worldwide Wii disc production problems heavily hurts third party Wii games in Europe. Why do the first party games remain in the charts if production is such an issue?

Lobster said:
Its retarded I know..but..this is SEGAs biggest hit in a while..they probably don't know about this so called success.

Simple answers to these actually.

M&S@O had a load of copies stocked up prior to Xmas as do the 1st party games.

Sega shipped them all before Xmas when Wii hardware was in demand and got the FIRST EVER ALL FORMATS NUMBER 1 FOR THE Wii and now they have run out of copies. Completely. Non on shipments to stores unless that store has pulled strings. Sold = sold to SEGA, they don't have to worry about the system sales - they will throw out more when the DS game launches in a couple of weeks and retake the all formats number 1 slot.

The 1st party games have been selling out each week but then restocking the next week to keep the sales buoyant for the system - if Wii had no stock in any of its top games all at the same time Nintendo get problems. This is why they use supply chain management to ensure that a constant stream of stock goes to shops. YES Mario Galaxy is selling out, but you'd be hard pressed to find shop workers that hadn't seen at least a few copies come in and get sold this week - unlike M&S@O.

So now you know!

UK Games Retail isn't just a simple case of hyping a title and putting units in the shops on day 1 (unlike Japan) you need to build a games reputation while it is out to sell, like Assassins Creed, M&S@O and Brain Training has done. Only the hardcore gamer fanboy titles come in high and disappear fast in he UK holiday period.

Burai

shitonmychest57
I'm sure the fact that it's a quiet week and that many online retailers are selling AC for half price at £25 has absolutely nothing to do with it's "success".

Nope. Absolutely nothing at all.

jaderay.jpg

"Oh, my God, we’re having a FIRE... sale. Oh, the burning! It burns me! Evacuate all the schoolchildren! (Screaming. Singing “Amazing Grace.”) This isn’t a fever! (Continues singing.) Can’t even see where the knob is! (Dramatic sigh.) And scene."

Jokeropia said:
Yes. The majority of the industry expected a N64 vs. PS1 repeat. This was especially true in the West where PSP had massive EA support and an exclusive GTA coming. Like I said, retarded. Giving support to one does not automatically mean abandonment of the other. As if they could put GTA on the DS if they wanted. **shakes head**
In the UK, yes. Here you go. (Again, note that this is the all format chart which combines multiplatform games.)
Yes, and I'm not surprised it's news to you since it's pretty obvious you haven't done your research. I thought its downturn the last few month reversed that. **shrugs**
Are you refuting that games like Meteos, Castlevania: DoS, Pheonix Wright, Sonic Rush among many othersdidn't contribute to its success? I'll tell you this much those games had a helluva lot more to do with me buying a DS than games like Nintendogs, Brain Training and the like. Third parties filled the system out bountifully, were very important to the system's success and were there from the very beginging. This is the point. This is my point. You have said NOTHING that refutes it. Please try harder.

TheRipDizz said:
Are you refuting that games like Meteos, Castlevania: DoS, Pheonix Wright, Sonic Rush among many othersdidn't contribute to its success? I'll tell you this much those games had a helluva lot more to do with me buying a DS than games like Nintendogs, Brain Training and the like. Third parties filled the system out bountifully, were very important to the system's success and were there from the very beginging. This is the point. This is my point. You have said NOTHING that refutes it. Please try harder.

Have you actually seen the sales of these games you claim as being 'very important' to the system's success?

farnham

Banned
TheRipDizz said:
While you listed awesome awesome games.. they all did not sell that well..

farnham said:

Or to put it another way - even if every last one of those game sales sold an individual system (which is of course a ridiculous proposition), it would still be utterly insignificant compared to the selling power of just one of Nintendo's 'Touch Generations' games.

nli10

Burai said:
I'm sure the fact that it's a quiet week and that many online retailers are selling AC for half price at £25 has absolutely nothing to do with it's "success".

Nope. Absolutely nothing at all.

1. This week after Xmas is one of the busiest in the UK retail year, especially for games. Where the hell are you shopping? :D
and can I come, the busy shops annoy me :(

2. Yes AC is on sale, so are many other games. People chose AC over these other cheap games. This shows us that while AC looks like the kind of game people want to play, they don't think it's worth £50 but do think it's well worth £25. If those people were wrong and it turns out to not be worth £25 expect lots of pre-owned copies in about 2 weeks...

farnham said:
They don't have to by themselves. They create cavets of gamers that round out the system and make it the all around monster it would not be without.

TheRipDizz said:
You != Everyone. You're making assumptions based on your personal taste, it makes your whole argument laughable.

TheRipDizz said:
They don't have to by themselves. They create cavets of gamers that round out the system and make it the all around monster it would not be without.
Those games you listed could be easily replaced with other titles, the same can not be said for Nintendo's first party efforts.

farnham

Banned
TheRipDizz said:
sadly even all these titles combined are less then Brain Age or nintendogs.. or new mario bros..(and i own every title you listed)

Top Bottom