• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Stop using my oppression as an argument for your favored candidate

Status
Not open for further replies.
I voted for Nader and I got really tired of hearing about how I was responsible for all of Bush's atrocities.

The 2 parties both use the same fear tactic to try and hold everybody hostage, and I find it very easy to grow resentful of it.
The two party trap argument annoys me to no end. I vote my conscience, and sometimes my conscience tells me that both the Republican and Democratic candidates are really terrible options.

Why the fuck aren't you people voting for Hilary god dammit.

I'm British, but from the outside it is so fucking plainly obvious that she is not only the only viable option, but a great one.

Years of experience, great relationships around the world, smart and presidential.

She is - as Obama said - perhaps the most qualified person in the last few decades to be president. She will do a fantastic job.

Voting for anyone else is voting for Trump.

A common theme from many of these 'ugh Hillary' people that haven't been convinced by logical thinking seems to be a combo of contrarian point of view and that 'special snow flake syndrome', especially in light of Trump.

A Fish Aficionado

I am going to make it through this year if it kills me
The two party trap argument annoys me to no end. I vote my conscience, and sometimes my conscience tells me that both the Republican and Democratic candidates are really terrible options.

But sometimes those choices lead to a very bad outcome ie Bush.

Stop deflecting.

KRod-57

Banned
Voting for someone you know is not going to win is the very definition of throwing away your vote.

And yes, in a two horse race, when you are not voting for one, you are voting for the other. The names on the ballot don't change that.

If you are happy with that, then I don't see the problem. So what if your vote is technically a vote that benefits trump. you can still be voting for what and who matters to you. It's still your choice.

I would say voting for someone you do not believe in is throwing your vote away, especially if you are going against your beliefs for the sake of winning.. how many Republicans do you suppose there were who voted for Trump for the sake of joining the winning team? I personally can applaud the Republicans who voted against Trump knowing full well their candidate wouldn't win

but besides that, there is more to these elections than the race for president, here in California we're voting on pretty much everything, marijuana legalization, the death penalty, income tax, tobacco tax, increasing parole opportunities for non-violent offenders, whether or not corporation have the same rights as citizens, and more. We're also voting in a new senator for the first time in 24 years.

So yeah, the race for president is just one of many issues in the election

GCX

There are two candidates in the election who can win the race. That is a fact. Yes, the system may be broken but it's unfortunately the only system currently in place. And I'd advise you to vote with that in mind.

If you really think that both parties are the same after 8 years of Obama and the just concluded Republican and Democratic conventions, than I don't know what else to tell you. You have basically abandoned all rational, objective and logical thought at that point.

Dishwalla

Banned
It's funny because neither Jill Stein nor Gary Johnson are particularly good people either. Certainly don't see how either one is better than Clinton.

Monocle

I would say voting for someone you do not believe in is throwing your vote away, especially if you are going against your beliefs for the sake of winning.. how many Republicans do you suppose there were who voted for Trump for the sake of joining the winning team?

but besides that, there is more to these elections than the race for president, here in California we're voting on pretty much everything, marijuana legalization, the death penalty, income tax, tobacco tax, increasing parole opportunities for non-violent offenders, whether or not corporation have the same rights as citizens, and more. We're also voting in a new senator for the first time in 24 years.

So yeah, the race for president is just one of many issues in the election
Then you're muddying the waters with semantics. Be practical here. The probable consequences of a Trump presidency are objectively worse than a Hillary presidency. Every US voter who cares about minority rights has a moral responsibility to avert the disaster of President Trump. The most obvious and efficacious way to do that is to vote for the opposing candidate.

This is not hard. Rarely is it so easy to do the right thing, but here you go: a golden opportunity to help preserve the well-being and happiness of millions.

guek

Banned
Here's the problem as I see it. The fundamental issue is not about who actually gets voted into office. While that concern is very real and long lasting, the underlying issue OP is referring to is trying to convince voters NOT to vote their conscience. Holding voters hostage because the system functions as a binary choice between two candidates is not democracy. That attitude only works when one candidate is actually superior to the other but that's not something we can take for granted. I'm not well versed enough in US political history to say whether or not we've ever had a presidential election where both party candidates are legitimately horrible choices but this is the closest we've come to that scenario in my lifetime. This election really drives home for me the fact that such a scenario is not outside the realm of possibility. It's absolutely happened elsewhere in the world, I can guarantee that. If such a thing were to happen in the US, the reinforcement of the binary system people continue to push is going to bite us in the ass.

So while I understand the obsession people have with cajoling voters to abide by the system, I don't think it's right to attack them on a personal level for voting as they wish. People should always be allowed to vote as they wish, even if those votes aren't the "right" vote according to your personal political ideals. The goal should be to educate and attempt to persuade but never shame someone for having the audacity to vote as the system is SUPPOSED to work, not as it actually does. People should have a choice. They're entitled to that much, and it's not right to rob them of that freedom, regardless of how fucked up the alternative is. You have to remember that the other side, the GOP, view the system in the exact same way, as a binary choice between objectively right and objectively wrong. They push the narrative just as hard because it benefits them just as much. A binary democratic system is only a good thing if your candidate happens to win.

It's funny because neither Jill Stein nor Gary Johnson are particularly good people either. Certainly don't see how either one is better than Clinton.

Yeah, they suck too. I just take issue with people who support a major party candidate dumping on anybody who explores other options months before the election.

I feel like the bigger issue is that the OP thinks that voting for Johnson (or more to the point, not voting for Clinton) is how you affect change in the Democratic platform. Because, well, it isn't. How you affect change in the platform is by voting locally for people who agree with you on your issue, and donating nationally to representatives that do as well. And, a lot of the time, voting for the person that's better on your issue of the two main parties, even if they aren't ideal. And I don't see how you could think Trump would be better about civil liberties than Clinton.

Squire

Banned
The media does have people trained to view it as a horse race.

"The media"

You sound a bit like the modern GOP.

Call it a horse race or a presidential race, I don't care. There are prospective winners and losers like any other contest and I'm putting all of my chips on the contestant that can pull out a win and not cut my civil liberties off at the knees.

I'm all for idealism and changing the system, but it seems practicality and pragmatism are out of fashion this election cycle and that's terrifying.

Here's the problem as I see it. The fundamental issue is not about who actually gets voted into office. While that concern is very real and long lasting, the underlying issue OP is referring to is trying to convince voters NOT to vote their conscience. Holding voters hostage because the system functions as a binary choice between two candidates is not democracy. That attitude only works when one candidate is actually superior to the other but that's not something we can take for granted. I'm not well versed enough in US political history to say whether or not we've ever had a presidential election where both party candidates are legitimately horrible choices but this is the closest we've come to that scenario in my lifetime. This election really drives home for me the fact that such a scenario is not outside the realm of possibility. It's absolutely happened elsewhere in the world, I can guarantee that. If such a thing were to happen in the US, the reinforcement of the binary system people continue to push is going to bite us in the ass.

So while I understand the obsession people have with cajoling voters to abide by the system, I don't think it's right to attack them on a personal level for voting as they wish. People should always be allowed to vote as they wish, even if those votes aren't the "right" vote according to your personal political ideals. The goal should be to educate and attempt to persuade but never shame someone for having the audacity to vote as the system is SUPPOSED to work, not as it actually does. People should have a choice. They're entitled to that much, and it's not right to rob them of that freedom, regardless of how fucked up the alternative is. You have to remember that the other side, the GOP, view the system in the exact same way, as a binary choice between objectively right and objectively wrong. They push the narrative just as hard because it benefits them just as much. A binary democratic system is only a good thing if your candidate happens to win.

While Hillary is not Obama, equating her to just a little below Trump in horribleness is doing a great disservice to her and all the public she has done in her 30 odd years of being in the public eye. They are not even close by any objective standard.

Dishwalla

Banned
Also don't particularly agree with the sentiment that you are voting third party because of your conscience. My conscience tells me that one of only two people are going to win and one of those two people will change this country for years to come just by appointing Supreme Court justices. And I'd rather have the person choosing that justice be Hillary Clinton than Donald Trump. Frankly I reject that "I vote with my conscience" stuff, some things are more important than your convictions, thinking otherwise is selfish.

mavo

Banned
Man the Simpsons were spot on during that whole Kang and Kodos thingy "what are you gonna do, vote for a third party candidate".

I'm not american OP but everytime i had to vote i did it null, a lot of people get upset "but if you do that you are supporting X!", which is ridiculous since i'm not the one voting for X.

guek

Banned
While Hillary is not Obama, equating her to just a little below Trump in horribleness is doing a great disservice to her and all the public she has done in her 30 odd years of being in the public eye. They are not even close by any objective standard.

What about what I said makes you think I disagree with that?

Fantastapotamus

Wrong about commas, wrong about everything
Vote whoever you feel like voting but think about what your vote might do. If Trump gets actually elected would you look back and say "Don't blame me, I voted Stein!"? If you absolutely can't vote for Clinton then don't do it but let me tell you just one thing: Out of all the elections america had in the last couple of decades this might be the absolute worst to try and stick it to the Democrates.

anaron

I wish we lived in a world where this could apply safely but alas, if you're an American and voting for anyone but Hillary come November, you're asking for George Bush 2.0.

it's amazing and horrifying to see so many people willing to screw themselves over.

TAJ

Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that.
Not even almost true. We just miss Teddy Roosevelt going by century, but we still got Strom Thurmond and George Wallace.

You might want to check your numbers. I'm not aware of any presidential election where those two ran third-party and got almost 19% and almost 20 million votes.

Plenty of people are in non-battleground states where it'll always go comfortably to one or the other major candidate.

What criticism is their of those people voting third-party?

Peagles

1272954_zpsacfr9aes.jpg

How has this not already been posted?

Squire

Banned
Having a conscience and heeding it is noble and everything, but you have to listen to your heart and your head.

Now if your head is telling you Clinton is "as bad as Trump", you probably need to have it looked at.

A Fish Aficionado

Lobby to get 3rd parties outlawed if it means so much to you.
Whoo boy.

It's isn't a case of third parties being illegitimate. Because you can vote for lower levels of government get a voice.

It's the case of someone who is going to continue the progressive movement or, be basically a fascist. That's no hyperbole.

Brakke

Banned
There are two candidates in the election who can win the race. That is a fact. Yes, the system may be broken but it's unfortunately the only system currently in place. And I'd advise you to vote with that in mind.

Yeah it's really crazy how many people think there's some nobility in straight up not understanding the rules of the game.

There's no democracy in the world where most people end up with their ideal candidate. That's the whole thing. Find a bloc to belong to, put together a coalition, comprise where you have to to make that coalition happen. That's how this works.

IvanJ

Banned
Yes, OP, you make perfect sense.
You will not vote for the candidate of a party that champions civil/gay rights (which is your singular point of interest), but will instead throw your vote into the dumpster and risk a victory for a party that strongly and openly opposes gay rights every step of the way.

Why not just vote Trump directly, and at least make the job a little easier for the people counting votes?

Plenty of people are in non-battleground states where it'll always go comfortably to one or the other major candidate.

Republicans still control many state governorships, legislatures and congressional districts in those states.

The bolded part.

"I don't believe that Trump will be any better, but I do believe that the only way things will get better is if Democrats have a compelling reason to listen to their civil libertarian wing."

Do you at least believe that Trump would be worse? If you can't even say that then I just don't get your position - you fight for civil liberties, but will be complicit with a candidate who wants to revoke citizens' rights?? And do you really believe that more votes for a third party candidate would have a lasting effect? Parties don't change platforms unless 10s of millions of people come out in support of change, e.g. Sanders voters. Even 2,000,000 people voting for Johnson won't do anything but make it easier for Trump to win.

I actually don't believe that Trump would be worse. In fact, I think he'd be better. Not because his policies would be (they'd be about the same; you literally can't go any lower than claiming the authority to murder any US citizen without due process of law on the advice of intelligence analysts), but at least Democrats would go back to pretending to care about the issue and make some political hay when the abuses happen. Compare the crickets when Obama did in fact assassinate the family members of terrorists back in 2012 to the thunder when Trump even suggested it this election cycle. Or just imagine how apoplectic the left would have been if the Snowden leaks had happened under Bush's watch.

It would be hilarious if out of the blue Johnson or Stein won the election.

I mean, it's not likely, but...

Internal Johnson campaign poll, but the only one specifically targeting Utah has Trump at 29%, Clinton at 27%, and Johnson at 26%. Mormons apparently dislike Trump's unchristian hate as much as they hate Clinton's feminism. Noted nevertrumper and Utah native Mitt Romney may well endorse Johnson and kick it all off. I also remember reading that he's polling well in his home state of New Mexico, though I can't find the link again. He's also neck and neck with Trump among millennials. Most importantly, he's polling at 10 percent nationally,, and needs to hit fifteen to make the debate stage. If he does, all bets are off.

Johnson also doesn't need to win the vote to make it to the white house. His most likely path is carrying Utah and New Mexico, which in a close enough race would prevent anyone from getting a majority of electoral votes and throw the election to the house. Once there, he becomes the natural compromise pick for Democrats that won't have the votes to elect Clinton and Congressional Republicans that loathe Trump.

A longshot, like I said. 538 gives the odds of an electoral college deadlock at 0.5%, and the chances of Johnson winning at least one electoral vote at 3.8%. But it's closer than we've ever been, and this election cycle is strange enough that anything's possible. What prevents people from voting third party is the perception that they have no chance; if he gets the legitimacy of being on the debate stage he might pull it off.

...All that's kinda just spitting in the wind, though. I don't live in a swing state, either Utah/New Mexico or of the more standard variety. Which is kind of another thing that frustrates me about the third party hate: most people aren't in swing states. Voting third party, however, can nudge them towards the 5% share of the national vote they need to get federal funding for next election cycle. Hell, if you're not in a swing state your tactical vote is for the third party that most drains votes from the opposition party, so yeah, hardcore conservatives in California should really be voting Green if they actually want to effect electoral politics.

Republicans still control many state governorships, legislatures and congressional districts in those states. .

Uh, this is an argument in favor of not yelling at people for voting third party. Ifr you can fire up a Stein supporter to show up that person's pretty likely to vote Democrat downballot. I know I'm planning on voting most Democrat once we're away from the person that actually control the US military.

besada

Banned
What's sad is how few third party voters do anything to actually make third party voting viable. After nearly thirty years of trying for a federal office, the Libertarians finally figured out they were trying to jump Snake River Canyon on a tricycle. They are nowhere near the point where they have a realistic chance of seating any federal candidate, but they have had minor successes at the city and state level. And since election rules that might make it more likely for third parties to succeed are controlled at the state level, it's where all third parties should be focusing. But that's a lot harder than casting a vote for President, as some sort of message. The only message you send to the two parties -- who control the government -- by not voting is that they don't have to pay attention to you.

I'm not going to insult anyone for voting their conscience, but I do think it's important to acknowledge the realities of our system as currently configured.

mclem

If your conscience tells you that both the Republican and Democratic candidates are equally terrible options, then that's an excellent reason to vote third party, and I suspect that few people would take issue with that.

However, I also think very few people would argue that that is the case in this cycle. Of the two viable options, it is hard not to see one as clearly better than the other. Which, I should add, goes both ways; for the people who Trump speaks to directly, he is clearly better than Clinton, and for others, Clinton is clearly better. Vote with your conscience, but you will get one of those two, no ifs, ands or buts. If you have an opinion that one would be worse for you than the other, then your vote is your power to assert that opinion.

Brakke

Banned
You might want to check your numbers. I'm not aware of any presidential election where those two ran third-party and got almost 19% and almost 20 million votes.

They got electoral college votes though. Which, after all, are the only things that matter.

Maledict

I feel like the bigger issue is that the OP thinks that voting for Johnson (or more to the point, not voting for Clinton) is how you affect change in the Democratic platform. Because, well, it isn't. How you affect change in the platform is by voting locally for people who agree with you on your issue, and donating nationally to representatives that do as well. And, a lot of the time, voting for the person that's better on your issue of the two main parties, even if they aren't ideal. And I don't see how you could think Trump would be better about civil liberties than Clinton.

Yep. Ive seen this a lot - people don't understand how to influence party platforms. Voting third party is the *worst* way to do it. You know what big parties do about third parties? Nothing. The democrats are never going to become more libertarian to try and take their votes or more green to take from green voters. That's not how big parties think - trust me. The centre ground is far more rewarding than going to extremes in terms of voter numbers. If you vote third party the main parties don't think about how to get your vote - they write it off.

If you want to change a party platform, you have to be in the party. Look at Bernie Sanders - do you think if he hadn't joined the democrats he would have had anywhere near his level of success? If you want to change the democrats, you have to *be* a democrat. You can't impose change on a party from the outside.

Dan

No longer boycotting the Wolfenstein franchise

You don't want to be like those Brexit fools who were interviewed the next day saying "I didn't think my protest vote would matter, I assumed the good option would still win."

I think I'd just not vote before I'd waste my time voting third party. Play some video games with that hour or two. Seems the wiser option between those choices.

I voted for Nader and I got really tired of hearing about how I was responsible for all of Bush's atrocities.

The 2 parties both use the same fear tactic to try and hold everybody hostage, and I find it very easy to grow resentful of it.
Agree with OP and The Exploder on this issue. I also recognize that voting 3rd party takes away from Hillary. Won't make me vote for her though. I'm not voting for a candidate I dislike.

It seems like Clinton supporters give more crap to third party voters than they do to Trump voters.

A Fish Aficionado

I actually don't believe that Trump would be worse. In fact, I think he'd be better. Not because his policies would be (they'd be about the same; you literally can't go any lower than claiming the authority to murder any US citizen without due process of law on the advice of intelligence analysts), but at least Democrats would go back to pretending to care about the issue and make some political hay when the abuses happen. Compare the crickets when Obama did in fact assassinate the family members of terrorists back in 2012 to the thunder when Trump even suggested it this election cycle. Or just imagine how apoplectic the left would have been if the Snowden leaks had happened under Bush's watch.

I mean, it's not likely, but...

Internal Johnson campaign poll, but the only one specifically targeting Utah has Trump at 29%, Clinton at 27%, and Johnson at 26%. Mormons apparently dislike Trump's unchristian hate as much as they hate Clinton's feminism. Noted nevertrumper and Utah native Mitt Romney may well endorse Johnson and kick it all off. I also remember reading that he's polling well in his home state of New Mexico, though I can't find the link again. He's also neck and neck with Trump among millennials. Most importantly, he's polling at 10 percent nationally,, and needs to hit fifteen to make the debate stage. If he does, all bets are off.

Johnson also doesn't need to win the vote to make it to the white house. His most likely path is carrying Utah and New Mexico, which in a close enough race would prevent anyone from getting a majority of electoral votes and throw the election to the house. Once there, he becomes the natural compromise pick for Democrats that won't have the votes to elect Clinton and Congressional Republicans that loathe Trump.

A longshot, like I said. 538 gives the odds of an electoral college deadlock at 0.5%, and the chances of Johnson winning at least one electoral vote at 3.8%. But it's closer than we've ever been, and this election cycle is strange enough that anything's possible. What prevents people from voting third party is the perception that they have no chance; if he gets the legitimacy of being on the debate stage he might pull it off.

...All that's kinda just spitting in the wind, though. I don't live in a swing state, either Utah/New Mexico or of the more standard variety. Which is kind of another thing that frustrates me about the third party hate: most people aren't in swing states. Voting third party, however, can nudge them towards the 5% share of the national vote they need to get federal funding for next election cycle. Hell, if you're not in a swing state your tactical vote is for the third party that most drains votes from the opposition party, so yeah, hardcore conservatives in California should really be voting Green if they actually want to effect electoral politics.

Wut. This is a joke?

You are ignoring so much to fit your bias.

wildfire

Banned
Voting for someone you know is not going to win is the very definition of throwing away your vote.

And yes, in a two horse race, when you are not voting for one, you are voting for the other. The names on the ballot don't change that.

Their votes aren't entitled to the top 2 candidates.

This attitude you and other people have about voting is childish.

As for the OP all I can say I dislike your decision because saying Trump won't be any better is the same as saying Trump can't do much to make things worse.

You are right to be outraged that Clinton in her position allowed and failed to put a program like PRISM in check. Having the our national intelligence agency spy on us is a grave threat to our liberty. Trump on the other hand has expressed destroying freedom of the press through increased interpretations of how they can be sued. He has given a foreign power encouragement to release confidential private details after hacking us. He is alot worse than Clinton in other ways but when it comes to specifically attacking our basic freedoms he has shown an inclination to go beyond what Clinton was a part of indirectly or not.

I actually don't believe that Trump would be worse. In fact, I think he'd be better.

*face palms*

mclem

I'm not well versed enough in US political history to say whether or not we've ever had a presidential election where both party candidates are legitimately horrible choices but this is the closest we've come to that scenario in my lifetime.

That rather suggests it, unless I'm misinterpreting that.

Epcott

Hmmm... Vote for my feelings

or

Vote to keep a sexist, misogynist, thin skinned, racist, xenophobic, compulsively lying, machiavellian, sociopathic, blowhard out of the White House?

I think I'll sleep better if I choose the latter.

I'm fine with Sanders people not voting Clinton to an extent but jumping to Johnson or Trump who have absolutely zero in common with Sanders is just mindboggling. If you absolutely can't vote for her, just don't vote for president and support all the good down ticket candidates

Agree with OP and The Exploder on this issue. I also recognize that voting 3rd party takes away from Hillary. Won't make me vote for her though. I'm not voting for a candidate I dislike.

It seems like Clinton supporters give more crap to third party voters than they do to Trump voters.

You don't have to like her to vote for her. Voting isn't about who you 'like' it's about who's best for the job!

I just don't understand how people don't get this.

Any other election year and you might have a point. But this election isn't about voting in who you want anymore, it's about keeping out a dangerous war monger. Letting Trump win just because the other option doesn't 100% represent you is just cutting your nose off to spite your face.

Really, the only honorable thing for 3rd party candidates to do is drop out now if they know there is no chance of them winning and splitting the Trump opposition vote.

Just swallow your anger, and wait 4 years for an election where your protest vote won't cause widespread death and destruction.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom