• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Stop using my oppression as an argument for your favored candidate

Status
Not open for further replies.

mclem

Plenty of people are in non-battleground states where it'll always go comfortably to one or the other major candidate.

What criticism is their of those people voting third-party?

I think there's an argument that, independent of the actual presidency itself, how Trump's rhetoric is received by the popular vote may well shape politics for the next few decades.

Which is nowhere near as powerful as the other criticisms, don't get me wrong, but I do think it's fair to suggest that that's a factor.

Carcetti

OP: 1. You're not the only minority member with a horse in this race. 2. You appear completely delusional about the stances of the candidates 3. USA has a 2-party system until third parties can make meaningful strides in non-presidential elections.

It's your vote to use as you wish but you're not succeeding at making it sound like a rational decision.

Pandaman

Everything is moe to me
I can understand being really frustrated over your vote 'needing' to be used to block disastrous candidates rather than to support the people you would actually like to see in office.

Ominym

Banned
Making a stand for additional parties in our system is not a fight that gets determined on election day of this year. If people want more options, and we should, it's an issue we should be fighting for year round not just when we're overly reminded we have to vote.

No third party will win this election, that's a fact regardless of whether you want to hear that or not. It seems like a lot of people taking a hard stance on this issue are people who don't want Trump, assume Hilary will be elected, but want the assumed moral superiority that comes with "well I'm an enlightened third party voter, two party systems can't define me!" And you're right, they can't entirely just as a three party system won't either. But the point still stands, if you want to see more parties? Let's meaningfully and continuously work towards that change.

I'm not going to tell you how to vote. It's your choice and you're entitled to it. But if you're going to say that I, or anyone else is wrong to critique your thought process on the issue? You're definitely wrong.

Joni

Johnson also doesn't need to win the vote to make it to the white house. His most likely path is carrying Utah and New Mexico, which in a close enough race would prevent anyone from getting a majority of electoral votes and throw the election to the house. Once there, he becomes the natural compromise pick for Democrats that won't have the votes to elect Clinton and Congressional Republicans that loathe Trump.
Against wellfare, for gun rights, wants to overturn Roe v. Wade, wants to privatize prisons. Yes, that is a compromise candidate...

daxy

While I respect your dedication to the issue, the time for making a point is during the primaries and the run up to them (or lobbying for it in the new term), not in the general elections. If the US was a consensus democracy it'd make more sense, but as it stands I don't think voting for an unelectable candidate has any merit or value in this situation.

Sblargh

Banned
Shouldn't third parties be gunning for local government instead of jumping into president?
I come from a country with almost 40 parties. I know a thing or two about crazy people getting together to annoy the establishment into pretending they have a legitimate point.

I don't want to derail this to the object level, but briefly, I'm close to a single-issue voter on civil liberties. Hillary Clinton was Secretary of State during the worst of the NSA abuses and the assassination of a sixteen year old American citizen whose only crime was being born to the wrong father. I don't believe that Trump will be any better, but I do believe that the only way things will get better is if Democrats have a compelling reason to listen to their civil libertarian wing. If Clinton loses no votes for her atrocious record on the subject, the Democrats will have no reason put forth a better candidate in 2020.

What I'm reading here is someone who will never vote an incumbent into office. There's going to be blood on every President's hands. There has been a huge surveillance apparatus for years, and it's not going away. Hell, it's why Presidential Immunity exists in the first place.

If you only want 100% of what you want, you're never ever getting it. You're never ever getting what you ask. If you elect someone into office on that promise. It's a promise they won't be able to keep.

So... why do you even vote in the first place?

SteveMeister

Hang out with Steve.
Here's Clinton's relevant platform :

https://www.hillaryclinton.com/issues/disability-rights/

She has a page on her site dedicated to this and a history and track record of working for the rights of the disabled.

I couldn't find anything specific about Johnson's support for the disabled on his site or in a quick Google search.

So in 5 minutes of Internet searching, I am now reading what Clinton has to say about disability rights but have no idea where Johnson stands on the issue.

Obviously this isn't a conclusive argument but at the very least it shows that Clinton is at least more forthcoming about it.

You don't have to like her to vote for her. Voting isn't about who you 'like' it's about who's best for the job!

I just don't understand how people don't get this.
What if you don't think either one is good for the job? What is your choice then? I'm through with lesser evilism. And you guys aren't really doing Hillary any favors by aggressively engaging 3rd party voters. It's a massive turn off and doesn't help your cause.

I have never heard of Johnson before this thread.

It's okay to admit your vote will not matter OP.

I mean, it will, just in a stupidly backwards way.

DOWN

Banned
I'm a disabled queer, and I'm voting Johnson.

Minorities and oppressed people can have many kinds of relationships to the political parties that mediate their oppression. We come from all walks of life, have different temperaments, and different strategies for navigating the world we find ourselves in.

I don't want to derail this to the object level, but briefly, I'm close to a single-issue voter on civil liberties. Hillary Clinton was Secretary of State during the worst of the NSA abuses and the assassination of a sixteen year old American citizen whose only crime was being born to the wrong father. I don't believe that Trump will be any better, but I do believe that the only way things will get better is if Democrats have a compelling reason to listen to their civil libertarian wing. If Clinton loses no votes for her atrocious record on the subject, the Democrats will have no reason put forth a better candidate in 2020.

We can disagree about that, and I'm certainly willing to be persuaded. And I'm certainly not saying that the candidates' records on immigration, or gay rights, or civil rights, or anything else ought to be out of bounds.

What ought to be out of bounds is this:

OQFEMKa.jpg

Accusing minorities of hating themselves if they don't fall in lockstep doesn't make you progressive. In fact, it kind of makes you a bigot. And if I can be persuaded to vote Johnson, self-loathing free, then you should lay off of accusing people of hating me personally because they have a different way of trying to fix things.
0Pyg2x4.png

And Johnson on vaccines
tyUfoit.png

Reference Clinton's, "I believe in science"

Not everything is a state right.

BYi8B9z.gif

Op post is a mess

EDIT: oh man op is getting worse trying to not sound like they're compromising as the thread goes on

dity

Until the USA gets a preferencial voting system wherein which votes for a minor party trickle to a major party if they don't win a seat, then voting for a minor party in the USA is throwing your vote away. It's selfish beyond selfish. Don't like either major candidate? Pick the one you hate the least. Because if you don't the chance the one you hate the most getting in increases.

I live in a country that has coalition elections, and while I can tell you it brings out a lot of its own sorts of problems and headaches, it is wonderful, that you can vote for whatever party you want, and it does matter.

Coalitions doesn't mean that there are not a major liberal and a major conservative party, but it does mean, that to form a government, a major party going into coalition with smaller parties each of which have their own agendas and party platforms, have to have so and so much power in government. And it changes for every election. So one election the Democratic Party might go in coalition with the Radicals who are economically conservative but socially liberal, and the christian democrats who are socially conservative but economically conservative, but the smaller of those party in that election will get less of a say and less representation in the top spots in the form of government. The overall point is that, voting for a party that even gets a small % of the overall votes is not a vote in vain. It matters a lot.

This two-party gridlock has haunted America since your revolution and it's partially why you still haven't fully moved past the confederate flag.
Jill Stein and Gary Johnson shows a true desire to give way for allowing people to vote without feeling pressure from the political process.
But once again it comes at a bad time. It's a bad time because while your protest vote is a powerful statement in that you denounce both the Democratic and the Republican Party, and in doing that you are part of the small faction that can decide the election. 40% of the votes will go to Trump. He has taken over the party, and it is now his party. The republican party is now a Neo-Facist party. It encompasses all the ingredient of facism; Xenophobia, in conjunction with state and corporate takeovers.
If the comparison to Adolf Hitler is bad, it is because Hitler took power. He never got close to being democratically elected, because even the anger of the German people in the 1930s didn't saw the majority of having the wisdom to elect him.

In Trump you have a man who has endorsed war crimes on public television, withdrawing from the WTO, which will essentially ruin the global economy. He will withdraw from many of the United States Military bases around the world leaving a power vacuum that will be filled by Russia and China. He will empower Salafi states with Nuclear weapons, as well as empowering other countries with nuclear weapons favoring isolationism.
He is a man who has advocated for assault weapons in teacher class rooms. He is a man who runs on a GOP platform that supports gay conversion therapy, rejection of science and climate change, the deportation of millions, racial profiling.
And he might win. He will win the traditional red states, and in the face of more terror attacks in europe and elsewhere he becomes stronger as his populism spreads fear.

If all Americans who are not entrapped into the hate of Trump, don't stop him now, he will be president. I don't think it's about who you like or who speak for you. Look at his positions. Look at what he has said. Look at the GOPs party platform. Look at who he wants to enact for Supreme Justices.

You don't have to like her. You don't have to support her or agree with her. But she is the only one who can stop Donald Trump now. After this election, she has sworn to overturn citizen united. The next step, with a grass roots push, there might hopefully be suggestions to push towards amendment changes that will allow for the representation of third parties in a coalitions so the election in 2020 or maybe in 2024 will be such that you voting for third party will carry more weight than a protest vote in defiance of only having two choices.
But we're hear now in 2016. And Donald Trump is the most dangerous candidate in our lifetime to get so close to the most powerful office in the world. Think about how dangerous he is. I'd bet you that if he becomes president, as he has a likely shot of becoming, you'd give anything to go back and change your vote.

wildfire

Banned
You don't have to like her to vote for her. Voting isn't about who you 'like' it's about who's best for the job!

I just don't understand how people don't get this.

Trump won the Republican primary because he is more likable than appropriate for the job. He's a threat to Hillary withat best a 40% chance to win because of that.

It's you who don't get why certain people vote.

For a different example most of the time party loyalty trumps our distaste for a candidate. For only a minority is it about choosing who is best for the job.

KRod-57

Banned
Then you're muddying the waters with semantics. Be practical here. The probable consequences of a Trump presidency are objectively worse than a Hillary presidency. Every US voter who cares about minority rights has a moral responsibility to avert the disaster of President Trump. The most obvious and efficacious way to do that is to vote for the opposing candidate.

This is not hard. Rarely is it so easy to do the right thing, but here you go: a golden opportunity to help preserve the well-being and happiness of millions.

What we have today are the two most disliked nominees in US history, and the only reason these candidates are able to get this far is the reliance that people who do not like them will vote for them anyway. We enable the parties to dish out these poor nominees when we guarantee them our vote no matter who they nominate

Hillary Clinton is not a champion for minorities' rights, she didn't fight for same sex marriage, she joined the movement after it was popular and she continues to justify the drug laws which have disproportionately hurt African American communities, issuing harsher sentencing for crack cocaine issues than for powered cocaine. She voted for mass surveillance multiple times as senator, which has disproportionately violated the rights of Muslim Americans

Now I am capable of overlooking these flaws in her judgement and her character, but what I cannot overlook is her foreign policy. I don't consider myself to be a single issue voter, but if I were to pick the most important issue in a presidential election, it would have to be foreign policy. When you elect a president, you are electing your commander and chief, your head of the military, your nation's foreign policy. Everything else goes through the process, but the president's foreign policy is your nation's foreign policy, and as JFK once said "domestic policy can only defeat us, foreign policy can kill us"

She has taken the aggressive course on foreign policy at every given opportunity, she supported regime change in Iraq, Libya, and now seems fixated on regime change in Syria. Her proposal for a no fly zone in Syria is not meant to fight terrorism, ISIS has no air force, it is the Russians who are patrolling those skies. The US putting up a no fly zone means we would be shooting down Russian planes who do not comply. As senator she also voted to recognize Iran's revolutionary guard as a terrorist organization, in effect expanding the war on terror into Iran. It has also been revealed that as secretary of state she pushed for a "green light" for an Israeli air strike on Iran's nuclear facilities. She called the UN's vote to recognize Palestine's existence "unfortunate and counter-productive" then has the audacity to say she is for a two state solution. No, supporting two states means recognizing that two states exist

In the 2012 election I came to a calculation based on the candidates that in 4 years we would still be fighting the war on terror... unfortunately that calculation was correct. This election I calculate that we will not only still be fighting the war on terror 4 years from today, but we will be scaling the war back up in the time between now and then...

Somewhere out there another Muslim child in the middle east will be blown to pieces as a result of the two candidates the American public has nominated.. there is nothing I can do to stop this from happening, and it pains me deeply, but I can at least take some comfort in knowing that I refused to support such a thing. That is my decision, I will not support the foreign policy that either of these candidates support

What if you don't think either one is good for the job? What is your choice then? I'm through with lesser evilism. And you guys aren't really doing Hillary any favors by aggressively engaging 3rd party voters. It's a massive turn off and doesn't help your cause.

Then it's who's better for the job. Do you really think Trump would be a better president? Do you really think someone with no political experience would be a better president compared to someone with 30+ years of political experience?

I don't really think it was that aggressive but ok. The options are 1) Try to inform someone 2) Do nothing

If you feel like your civil rights are at stake (which for me, a queer woman, they are) then you can't afford to do nothing.

SpeedWeed

Neo Member
Voting for someone you know is not going to win is the very definition of throwing away your vote.

And yes, in a two horse race, when you are not voting for one, you are voting for the other. The names on the ballot don't change that.

If you are happy with that, then I don't see the problem. So what if your vote is technically a vote that benefits trump. you can still be voting for what and who matters to you. It's still your choice.

I'm Australian so I have no horse in this race and I think Trump would be a disaster for your country and the rest of the world, but I don't really like this way of thinking. Maybe it's because we don't have a first past the post election system that I think like this.

If Clinton wins doesn't everybody who didn't vote for Trump or Clinton, voted for Clinton??? Is that what you are saying. Correct me if I'm wrong but doesn't it work both ways?

What about what I said makes you think I disagree with that?

You're saying they are both close to being legitimately horrible choices. I'm glad you feel that the person responsible for:

- CHIP. Probably the best fucking bill we've passed in a long damn time.
- Mental Health Advocacy.
- 9/11 First Responders Bill.
- "Women's Rights are Human's Rights" - in front of the UN.
- Co-sponsored the Lilly Ledbetter Fair Pay Act.
- Helped convince Obama to strike against Bin Laden.

Is a legitimately horrible candidate. I'm sorry, but if that's how you feel, then you haven't actually stacked up Hillary's accomplishments.

Somewhere out there another Muslim child in the middle east will be blown to pieces as a result of the two candidates the American public have nominated.. there is nothing I can do to stop this from happening, and it pains me deeply, but I can at least take some comfort in knowing that I refused to support such a thing. That it my decision, I will not support the foreign policy that either of these candidates support

And one day, if you ever get an isolationist President, some child in the Baltic countries will be oppressed under Putin's heel.

Some child in some other country will suffer a genocide similar to what happened in Rwanda, and the country with the most powerful military will do nothing, because "we might have some collateral damage. Bad Optics."

Fliesen

Trump caters to the people who hate you for being queer.

Trump publically makes fun of a person's disablity.
oT41FYI.gif

... but sure, Hillary is just as bad if not worse. sure. why not.

Vote however you like, though. It's a right that not everyone on earth has.
But don't kid yourself. If you're voting Johnson, you're burning your ballot. You're not sending a signal.

guek

Banned
You're saying they are both close to being legitimately horrible choices. I'm glad you feel that the person responsible for:

- CHIP. Probably the best fucking bill we've passed in a long damn time.
- Mental Health Advocacy.
- 9/11 First Responders Bill.
- "Women's Rights are Human's Rights" - in front of the UN.
- Co-sponsored the Lilly Ledbetter Fair Pay Act.
- Helped convince Obama to strike against Bin Laden.

Is a legitimately horrible candidate. I'm sorry, but if that's how you feel, then you haven't actually stacked up Hillary's accomplishments.

I hate this crap. Saying you're not a fan of Hillary or saying you'd prefer someone else is not the same as saying she's a completely horrible. I never said they were close to both being horrible, I said this is the closest I've personally seen such a scenario happen. Those are two completely different statements.

daxy

Then make sure the candidate you think is right gets chosen in the next election cycle. There are no wins to be had at this point. There will never be a candidate that has all your interests in mind, so pick whatever lines up best with your interests. Voting purely on the basis of single issues is looking at politics in a very black and white way while a political agenda is a complex amalgam of differentiating interests. I think most people here aren't trying to 'court' third party voters. It's not a matter of who's being the nicest to you, but about rationally deconstructing the validity of pursuing the course of action in question and making the best choice on the basis of what the current options are.

Malfunky

First and foremost: I'm hoping Hillary beats Trump. And I do feel that anybody who believes in electoralism should acknowledge its utilitarian reality. This includes Bernie supporters. If this is the system you trusted to bring progressive change, you should follow it to its logical conclusion. Vote Hillary. Or don't! I don't care.

But I agree with your sentiment OP. I don't understand your chosen candidate, as I feel that American Libertarianism is ethically bankrupt, but I don't feel like you're wrong about the rest. Not in the slightest. So, let me apologize on behalf of these folks for continuing to abuse and talk down on you.

If Hillary doesn't get your vote, OP, that's not your fault. If she loses the votes of any exploited minority group, it's not their fault. It's hers and her party's for failing them and you. The Democrats are measurably better than the Republicans on almost every level, sure, but that is an incredibly, dangerously low standard. And the more we push this narrative that they're good guys, the more we enable their particular crimes and their action and inaction in injustice. The more we scare people people into voting, the more we perpetuate this horrible system. The more we pretend that Barack Obama or Hillary Clinton or even Bernie Sanders deserve our respect and admiration and fealty, the more we rob ourselves of our own political power. These folks saying you're part of the problem should look at themselves, too. Politics should always involve self-reflection. Especially when you're convinced you're right.

There are other ways to participate politically. You can make your political and social agency mean more more than just casting your vote in a rigged race every two or four years. I mean, voting is the lowest common denominator of political participation. It hardly requires any effort. And so it's probably one of the more ineffective means of applying political power.

That is to say: what's important is that you participate in organizing. Collectivizing. Speaking out. And the great thing about this is that you don't have to wait for election cycles! That's what makes BLM so effective and so important. They aren't about putting people in office. They are about changing the dynamic of conversations about race and police. That's why they protest both the DNC and the RNC. They acknowledge the reality of the politics beyond electoralism: that no given candidate or party will make this problem disappear. That a just society must always have people who push back at every angle at all times. And that's up to the people. And it's why Bernie's campaign, as much as it's derided around here, was also very important. The people involved in it pushed a more progressive narrative through the Democratic party that Hillary Clinton now has to acknowledge and appease. This sort of stuff is changing the political landscape!

Anyway, you have a place. Don't let these people make you feel horrible for not falling into the same trap they're in.

or something.

dity

I'm Australian so I have no horse in this race and I think Trump would be a disaster for your country and the rest of the world, but I don't really like this way of thinking. Maybe it's because we don't have a first past the post election system that I think like this.

If Clinton wins doesn't everybody who didn't vote for Trump or Clinton, voted for Clinton??? Is that what you are saying. Correct me if I'm wrong but doesn't it work both ways?
I'm also an aussie, so let me put it this way:

Do you remember the episode of Futurama where Nixon is trying to become president, and the cast actively fights against him after he gets Bender's body? Do you remember how after all their efforts, in the end Fry forgot to vote and Nixon won by a single vote? Yeah. Now imagine everyone not voting for Trump or Clinton as being Fry.

The level of spitefulness from Hilary supporters towards Leftists is annoying, like they're owned the vote, like people don't realise or fear Trump as well, like they're not "woke" enough about Hillary. There's a truth to the lesser evil, but pushing Hillary or Tim Kaine as the most progressive figures of History is disingenuous to say the least.

TAJ

Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that.
It would if people actually voted right? Defeatest attitudes are not what we need right now.

Salmon: Die, bears! Your reign of terror ends now! /flings self at bear

Monocle

What we have today are the two most disliked nominees in US history, and the only reason these candidates are able to get this far is the reliance that people who do not like them will vote for them anyway. We enable the parties to dish out these poor nominees when we guarantee them our vote no matter who they nominate

Hillary Clinton is not a champion for minorities' rights, she didn't fight for same sex marriage, she joined the movement after it was popular and she continues to justify the drug laws which have disproportionately hurt African American communities, issuing harsher sentencing for crack cocaine issues than for powered cocaine. She voted for mass surveillance multiple times as senator, which has disproportionately violated the rights of Muslim Americans

Now I am capable of overlooking these flaws in her judgement and her character, but what I cannot overlook is her foreign policy. I don't consider myself to be a single issue voter, but if I were to pick the most important issue in a presidential election, it would have to be foreign policy. When you elect a president, you are electing your commander and chief, your head of the military, your nation's foreign policy. Everything else goes through the process, but the president's foreign policy is your nation's foreign policy, and as JFK once said "domestic policy can only defeat us, foreign policy can kill us"

She has taken the aggressive course on foreign policy at every given opportunity, she supported regime change in Iraq, Libya, and now seems fixated on regime change in Syria. Her proposal for a no fly zone in Syria is not meant to fight terrorism, ISIS has no air force, it is the Russians who are patrolling those skies. The US putting up a no fly zone means we would be shooting down Russian planes who do not comply. As senator she also voted to recognize Iran's revolutionary guard as a terrorist organization, in effect expanding the war on terror into Iran. It has also been revealed that as secretary of state she pushed for a "green light" for an Israeli air strike on Iran's nuclear facilities. She called the UN's vote to recognize Palestine's existence "unfortunate and counter-productive" then has the audacity to say she is for a two state solution. No supporting two states means recognizing two states exist

In the 2012 election I came to a calculation based on the candidates that in 4 years we would still be fighting the war on terror... unfortunately that calculation was correct. This election I calculate that we will not only still be fighting the war on terror 4 years from today, but we will be scaling the war back up in the time between now and then...

Somewhere out there another Muslim child in the middle east will be blown to pieces as a result of the two candidates the American public have nominated.. there is nothing I can do to stop this from happening, and it pains me deeply, but I can at least take some comfort in knowing that I refused to support such a thing. That it my decision, I will not support the foreign policy that either of these candidates support
I hear you and I don't doubt you've thought through your reasons for opposing Hillary, but make no mistake: your intentions are completely irrelevant to the actual effect of your vote, which can be used to support either a flawed candidate who is qualified to do the job, by voting for her, or a completely unqualified and dangerously brash and ignorant charlatan by voting for him or a third party candidate, or not voting at all.

There are no two ways about it: mathematically speaking (the only way either party notices the average individual), you're either for Trump or against him. This is the reality of a two party system, and your or my feelings about it can't change that. You can use your vote to do some actual measurable good, or not.

Breads

Banned
I see these arguments a lot. That you have a right to vote for whoever you want and that the nominees aren't entitled to votes just because their where chosen by their parties. That you should vote for whoever you like the most.

I think it's both naive and selfish. Childish if you will.

The way the voting dichotomy currently works in this country is pretty simple. Press the red or the blue button because those are the two options that are going to make it into the office. For the most part anyway. Either vote for your favorite color, favorite representative, or you vote against something you view as actively hostile to your own self interests. Or you can vote third party/ abstain if you aren't well reasoned enough to value your own self interests.

If one of the two major nominees (which will be the situation most of the time) has even one issue that you prefer over the other then it is in your own self interest to vote for them. Going third party is throwing your vote away on a non viable candidate and you do it out of spite and nothing more. Telling yourself that it's a statement of your ideals and that it's your right doesn't make it less asinine.

Not going to touch the identity politics though. All I will say is that Trump is an actively hostile party and your failure to recognize this is just that - your own failure.

I hate this crap. Saying you're not a fan of Hillary or saying you'd prefer someone else is not the same as saying she's a completely horrible. I never said they were close to both being horrible, I said this is the closest I've personally seen such a scenario happen. Those are two completely different statements.

Considering how this election involves Donald Trump, any comparison saying that this is the closest you've personally come to seeing a scenario happen with two horrible candidates is a damning indictment of the person running against Donald Trump. Especially considering '04 & '00. Or we could bring up '68 & '72.

You might want to edit your statement if you feel differently.

She has taken the aggressive course on foreign policy at every given opportunity, she supported regime change in Iraq, Libya, and now seems fixated on regime change in Syria. Her proposal for a no fly zone in Syria is not meant to fight terrorism, ISIS has no air force, it is the Russians who are patrolling those skies. The US putting up a no fly zone means we would be shooting down Russian planes who do not comply. As senator she also voted to recognize Iran's revolutionary guard as a terrorist organization, in effect expanding the war on terror into Iran. It has also been revealed that as secretary of state she pushed for a "green light" for an Israeli air strike on Iran's nuclear facilities. She called the UN's vote to recognize Palestine's existence "unfortunate and counter-productive" then has the audacity to say she is for a two state solution. No, supporting two states means recognizing that two states exist

Somewhere out there another Muslim child in the middle east will be blown to pieces as a result of the two candidates the American public has nominated.. there is nothing I can do to stop this from happening, and it pains me deeply, but I can at least take some comfort in knowing that I refused to support such a thing. That is my decision, I will not support the foreign policy that either of these candidates support
I couldn't agree more. I put a lot of weight on candidate's foreign policy as well and I think Hillary will be worse than Trump in this regard. I'm not as detailed as you were but I had this to say in a post from this closed thread.
FreedomFighter said:
I dislike Trump because he's a raging idiot, bigot, and xenophobe - a political joke who has, by some miracle, become a political reality. It's hard to imagine such a buffoon could be president but this just might actually happen.

I dislike Hillary because I think she's an undeniable corporatist and massively jingoistic warhawk with at least one psychopathic tendency (i.e. "We came, we saw, he died" *cackle* re: a 70 year old man sodomized with a knife and killed). Listened to her Brookings and AIPAC speeches just reinforces my dislike for her.

In the end, I think they're equally bad for different reasons. However, I think Trump has no clue what he's doing, but Hillary will be very calculated in her presidency - she'll be like Obama, continue a lot of the Bush policies and even double down on things like extraordinary rendition, indefinite detention, drone strikes, torture, etc. but get a pass because he's an excellent orator, had plenty of swag, and was the first Black president. Clinton would get the same type of pass for the same reason (gender in lieu of race). I think this makes her more dangerous. I very might well be wrong in this assessment, but I'll have to wait and see how it plays out.
We certainly agree on Hillary.
Then it's who's better for the job. Do you really think Trump would be a better president? Do you really think someone with no political experience would be a better president compared to someone with 30+ years of political experience?

I don't really think it was that aggressive but ok. The options are 1) Try to inform someone 2) Do nothing

If you feel like your civil rights are at stake (which for me, a queer woman, they are) then you can't afford to do nothing.
Hell no, I think Trump is a raging idiot. It says a lot about this country that he's made it so far. It's not like I'm voting for him over Hillary. But I can't vote for her. I don't support her. It's either vote third party or don't vote at all for me. In fact, I wonder if voter turn out will be down even further this year. I'm not excited about voting at all this cycle.

SpeedWeed

Neo Member
I'm also an aussie, so let me put it this way:

Do you remember the episode of Futurama where Nixon is trying to become president, and the cast actively fights against him after he gets Bender's body? Do you remember how after all their efforts, in the end Fry forgot to vote and Nixon won by a single vote? Yeah. Now imagine everyone not voting for Trump or Clinton as being Fry.

Oh I totally understand. I just don't think guilting people is the way to go. As I said the "wasted vote" goes both ways depending on who gets elected. As others have said I guess it depends if you are in a swing state or not.

The US really needs to change to preferential voting. Trump is fucking wanker, but I sure would feel dirty as fuck voting for Clinton just to avoid a Trump presidency.

Polls as of today: http://www.realclearpolitics.com/ep...s/general_election_trump_vs_clinton-5491.html

Even if polls doesn't mean anything at this point it's still scary. The fact that he is getting so close. The man who has just asked Russia to hack America. The man who has made fun of disabled people, tried to silence journalists, threatened with violence.
And this is what some of his supporters are like; https://youtu.be/AiFAtHoZ-0w?t=1m33s

I'm embarassed that by this time last year, when Donald first started running I thought he was hilarious. I thought this was a great joke, and he was entertaining and what he said didn't matter. I had never in a million years expected we would be here today. I thought we would have a Marcio Rubio centerist election versus Clinton ala Bush vs Gore in 2000.
Donald Trump is a facist. He really fucking went down that rabbit hole.

Fliesen

The level of spitefulness from Hilary supporters towards Leftists is annoying, like they're owned the vote, like people don't realise or fear Trump as well, like they're not "woke" enough about Hillary. There's a truth to the lesser evil, but pushing Hillary or Tim Kaine as the most progressive figures of History is disingenuous to say the least.

but definitely the most progressive among the candidates still in the race with an actual chance of becoming the president for the next 4 years.

Which is what this should be all about.

We're way beyond "politics" and "policies" anymore. There's no waiting for "the perfect candidate" to come around. There's an election coming up. And there's gonna be a winner that is either Clinton or Trump. And everyone should do their best to make sure that - even if they don't fully agree with either of the candidates - at least support the 'lesser evil' (urgh).

And whoever (righfully) considers themselves more progressive / more leftist than Hillary would be making a mistake by wasting their vote and thereby giving half of it to Trump.
That's just the realities of how this election is going to work.

guek

Banned
Considering how this election involves Donald Trump, any comparison saying that this is the closest you've personally come to seeing a scenario happen with two horrible candidates is a damning indictment of the person running against Donald Trump. Especially considering '04 & '00. Or we could bring up '68 & '72.

No, it really is not. People don't have to love Hillary just because Trump is much worse. I don't love Hillary. I respect her accomplishments and many of the things she stands for and will definitely vote for her come November but that doesn't mean I suddenly forget the things I don't like about her. People are usually more than only good or only bad. Just because Trump is outright bad in every sense does not make Hillary a purely good candidate. That's a load of bullshit. Heaven forbid she's criticized at all on this board though. Say one bad word about her and suddenly people think you're voting for Trump.

Malfunky

Hell no, I think Trump is a raging idiot. It says a lot about this country that he's made it so far. It's not like I'm voting for him over Hillary. But I can't vote for her. I don't support her. It's either vote third party or don't vote at all for me. In fact, I wonder if voter turn out will be down even further this year. I'm not excited about voting at all this cycle.

Hi fellow Chomskyfriend. Have you read his recent piece with John Halle on Lesser Evil Voting?

It's essentially what I reluctantly agree with. The utilitarian view of electoralism. Basically, if you're in a swing state, vote Democrat. If you're in a for sure safe state, vote third party or nothing at all. And I'm in California so I have the privilege of speaking about shit the way I do. Where are you at? And what do you think about the article?

but definitely the most progressive among the candidates still in the race with an actual chance of becoming the president for the next 4 years.

Which is what this should be all about.

We're way being "politics" and "policies" anymore. There's no waiting for "the perfect candidate" to come around. There's an election coming up. And there's gonna be a winner that is either Clinton or Trump. And everyone should do their best to make sure that - even if they don't fully agree with either of the candidates - at least support the 'lesser evil' (urgh).

And whoever (righfully) considers themselves more progressive / more leftist than Hillary would be making a mistake by wasting their vote and thereby giving half of it to Trump.
That's just the realities of how this election is going to work.
Funny how that goes, how the time for concessions is only just now.

0Pyg2x4.png

And Johnson on vaccines
tyUfoit.png

Reference Clinton's, "I believe in science"

Not everything is a state right.

I actually don't believe that Trump would be worse. In fact, I think he'd be better...

Against wellfare, for gun rights, wants to overturn Roe v. Wade, wants to privatize prisons. Yes, that is a compromise candidate...

Yikes, Amibguous Cad. I just cant. This is so dumb it's hilarious.

. The only message you send to the two parties -- who control the government -- by not voting is that they don't have to pay attention to you.

If there's nothing the democrats can do to win your vote, then yeah, you have no voice.

But if there's nothing the democrats can do to lose your vote, you also have no voice. They have no reason to listen to you if you will back any candidate they throw your way. In order for the fringes to have a shot at influencing electoral politics, they have to be willing to walk away from the table.

And if we do end up getting a proto fascist, it will be entirely the fault of the Democratic Party, who nominated someone unacceptable to wide swathes of the population, who has worse favorability ratings than Walter Mondale and Barry frickin Goldwater, not the people who refused to vote for the dud they tried to foist on us.

I voted Obama in '08, Johnson in '12, and now am planning on Johnson this election. Close to straight ticket Democrat downballot. I don't know how any better to signal that I'm persuadable but you're gonna have to do better.

What I'm reading here is someone who will never vote an incumbent into office. There's going to be blood on every President's hands. There has been a huge surveillance apparatus for years, and it's not going away. Hell, it's why Presidential Immunity exists in the first place.

If you only want 100% of what you want, you're never ever getting it. You're never ever getting what you ask. If you elect someone into office on that promise. It's a promise they won't be able to keep.

So... why do you even vote in the first place?

I think the CIA should be dismantled and that anyone who has ever worked for it should be barred from holding a position of public trust ever again. There's probably some room for prosecutions, too, starting with a few presidents.

I still voted Obama in '08. He didn't promise as much as I'd like, but stopping torture and shutting down Guantanamo was good enough for me. All I'm asking for is a candidate that has not literally violated the Geneva Convention. That's well within the Overton Window, or it would be if people gave enough of a shit about the issue to base their votes on it. Sanders wanted to keep the drone program, and I would have voted for him, too. I'm perfectly amenable to compromise. When the Democrats decide to throw their civil libertarian wing the slenderest bone, I'll be there.

I'm trying to be civil here, but it's like... are you guys even reading my posts? Are you listening to what any of the third party voters are saying? You want so desperately for this to be a matter of personal purity vs. compromise, but it really isn't, or at least it's not for me. I'm not withholding my vote from Clinton because I think voting for her would give me cooties. I'm doing it because I think if the Democrats suffer no consequences from spending eight years defecting against one of their key constituencies then that constituency is going to be ignored.

For hard nosed realists, you guys sure have an odd case of tunnel vision. And yeah, if for some reason I was only concerned about this election cycle, probably I'd bite the bullet and vote Clinton. But look, you're not in a one-shot prisoner's dilemma, you're in an iterated one. You can either vote for the main party candidate and cooperate or third party and defect. And the party can either make good on its promises to its base and cooperate, or tack center and conserve political capital and defect. But you're playing that game every election, and if there's any lesson you can take from the scholarly literature about the prisoner's dilemma it's that cooperate bots get roasted. The dominant strategies are usually cooperate until the other side defects and then defect right back. And on civil liberties, the democrats have done nothing but defect for eight years; this isn't a tit for two tats, it's a tit for a hundred tats.

When the democrats look like they're willing to cooperate again, they can start earning my vote.

Lol if you vote 3rd party in the US you are selfish beyond doubt and you probably deserve the worse of the two candidates. Might as well safe your time and dont vote at all.

Nobody gives a shit about protest voters voting 3rd party. Nobody is going to go "daawww we hurt their feelings, we need to change policies for the next time".

TAJ

Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that.
He's not anti-vaccine. He's pro-choice.

Considering the vaccination rates required for herd immunity, yes he is anti-vaccine.

John Dunbar

correct about everything
never understood the nonsense about "throwing your vote away." every single vote is statistically insignificant. the only thing you can do with them is to throw them away.

Fliesen

If there's nothing the democrats can do to win your vote, then yeah, you have no voice.

But if there's nothing the democrats can do to lose your vote, you also have no voice. They have no reason to listen to you if you will back any candidate they throw your way. In order for the fringes to have a shot at influencing electoral politics, they have to be willing to walk away from the table.

And if we do end up getting a proto fascist, it will be entirely the fault of the Democratic Party, who nominated someone unacceptable to wide swathes of the population, who has worse favorability ratings than Walter Mondale and Barry frickin Goldwater, not the people who refused to vote for the dud they tried to foist on us.

that is false. Then it's the fault of everyone who voted for the proto fascist candidate AND the fault of those who didn't vote for the opponent of the proto fascist candidate.

The narrative you're creating is super weird. You're calling a Trump presidency "proto fascist", yet you're still going to not do anything to prevent it out of spite.

never understood the nonsense about "throwing your vote away." every single vote is statistically insignificant. the only thing you can do with them is to throw them away.

white_house_watch_07_28_16.jpg

'other' around 10% - those 10% will decide who gets to be the next president.
If those 10% stick with 'other', they'll have made the candidate who gets 42% of the popular vote the next president.

He's not anti-vaccine. He's pro-choice.

I believe the fear is related to herd immunity. You see, some people cannot be vaccinated because they are allergic to vaccines. If it is a choice for others not to be vaccinated it put does people at risk, but also increases the chance for diseases to bypass the vaccines. That is at least how I've understood it.

It's an old argument. Here is a comic from the 1940s;

What to do? People are scared. People don't understand what causes this spike in autism, rare instances have happened in world history were vaccines have been disasterous. I think the grip of fear is understandable, and the misttrust of government at some level is a healthy critical response to the status quo, but I also think there is an element of hysteria and irrational fearmongering.

I don't think Gary Johnson or Jill Stein are bad people. I think they have some good positions. But against the threat of Donald Trump. It's really scary if he wins. It's really scary if people don't do all they can to stop him.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom