• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

EA considers ME2, Battlefront, DA:I and UFC as 'New IPs'.

Saty

I was planning to title the thread 'EA is working on 6 new IPs' but then i read the rest of it.

http://www.computerandvideogames.com/426302/ea-planning-second-wave-of-original-ip-on-next-gen/

Now, speaking to CVG in an interview at Gamescom, the exec confirmed that number has grown to around "half a dozen".

EA is planning to release the original properties as part of its 'second wave' of next-gen console releases, Gibeau said.

As well as the recently announced Mirror's Edge 2 and Star Wars: Battlefront, the exec explained that EA considers sequel Dragon Age: Inquisition as a new IP because it's being reinvented with "a new approach".

"We've now got half a dozen [original IPs] in development," Gibeau said. "We've announced a couple of them, Mirror's Edge and Battlefront, but we've also added some as well. The last time I spoke about this we hadn't done the Star Wars deal, so there are those games too."

He added: "We're going to try and announce the new projects in the next couple of years - so in years two to three in the next-gen cycle, the plan is each year you'll see one to two new IP from us coming out.

"This year we have new projects too - UFC is new to EA and of course there's Titanfall."

That's a very liberal use of 'New IPs' to say the least.

Into

Well EA Sports UFC is sort of a new IP, since the last MMA game EA made did not have the UFC license.

I have no idea why ME2 is a new IP though

Skeff

wow, I could understand a little confusion on some of these from people not familiar with gaming, but mirror edge 2 has a 2 in the title...It's pretty obvious....wow...

Looking forward to those new IP's coming 2-3 years down the line like Mass Effect 4.

I hope that doesn't mean that they are going to fuck up ME2.
Reinventing something that already was very good isn't a good idea most of the time.
But we'll see.

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
While I get the concept that a successful franchise isn't the same as one that hasn't been out in quite a while, I feel it's really dumb to lump them together.

I'd make sense to label them with a third term like "Franchise Revitalizations" or whatever.

spliced

nqSjLiis.jpg

It's Not A Lie If You Believe It.

Ushae

Banned
Why is this even news, nobody gives a fuck.

These are games people want to play. That's all that matters.

Haunted

These are new IPs, we're in Gen 4, up is down and down is up.

Never trust EA's internal marketing bullshit speak.

Scum

Yeah. Sure. Whatever floats your boat, EA.

While I get the concept that a successful franchise isn't the same as one that hasn't been out in quite a while, I feel it's really dumb to lump them together.

I'd make sense to label them with a third term like "Franchise Revitalizations" or whatever.

You'd make sense of it but EA sure as hell won't.

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
I got an idea for a new IP

4 guys, they all have guns(yeah i know), they're some kind of ... troopers -- no. Commandos. Theyr'e commandos, and they work for a re-re-republ--

kanuuna

Amazing. They should look at what Ubisoft is doing.
Should they? I feel like they're actively trying to kill their best selling franchise of this generation with sequels and spin-offs without obvious demand. I'm sure Revelations performed well, but that fluff just put me off. And I was a big fan.

evangd007

So now they've redefined "Original IP" as non-licensed IP. Except Battelfront is licensed. I don't even know anymore.

Fuck this industry.

Top Bottom