• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Gears of War Surpasses 2 Million in Unit Sales Worldwide

Blimblim

The Inside Track
Microsoft Games Studios and Epic Games Announce "Gears of War" Surpasses 2 Million in Unit Sales Worldwide, Becoming the Fastest-Selling Next-Generation Console Game
UK — 15th December, 2006 — A video game champion has been crowned as today “Gears of War” made history by becoming the fastest-selling next-gen game of 2006 and the fastest-selling exclusive Xbox® game of all time.

Microsoft Game Studios and Epic Games Inc. today confirmed that “Gears of War,” the Xbox 360™-exclusive title, has sold more than 2 million copies worldwide since its release six weeks ago.

“‘Gears of War’ clearly has won the battle for the title of the must-have game of the year,” said Richard Teversham, Director of Platform & Marketing, Home and Entertainment Division EMEA. “Its phenomenal success is one of many reasons why Xbox 360 is the ultimate place to get together with friends to play this Christmas.”

“We’ve always held high hopes for ‘Gears of War,’ but we never expected such an overwhelmingly positive response from critics and gamers all over the world,” said Michael Capps, president, Epic Games. “I can’t describe how stoked our team is right now. Our fans can absolutely count on Epic to keep delivering new gameplay through Xbox Live®.”

In addition to being the must-have video game of the holiday season, “Gears of War” continues to rage on the Xbox Live battlefield as well, with more than 1 million unique gamers engaging in 10 million online gameplay sessions and unlocking an impressive 7 million achievements. On top of being the No. 1 title on Xbox Live, “Gears of War” has driven new members to the network; paid registrations per day have skyrocketed more than 50 percent since the game’s launch.
Good for Epic and MS I guess!

Tieno

LOOK AT ALL THAT JUICE!!!

I said "Wow, that's fast!", with such a small userbase!

Sequel confirmed x 10

Mato

That means that about 35% of 360 owners have already bought this game. Cliff once said he hoped the game would go on to sell at least one million copies, so he must be pleased now.

Mato said:
That means that about 35% of 360 owners have already bought this game. Cliff once said he hoped the game would go on to sell at least one million copies, so he must be pleased now.
I think he said 8 million. Anyways, congrats to Epic and MS on having all that hard work paying off. :)

Mato

tHa_vIlLaMaN said:
I think he said 8 million. Anyways, congrats to Epic and MS on having all that hard work paying off. :)

I think he said one, eight sounds far-fetched.

Andy787

Banned
A video game champion has been crowned as today “Gears of War” made history by becoming the fastest-selling next-gen game of 2006 and the fastest-selling exclusive Xbox® game of all time.
Uh.. not to rain on Gears' parade, because this is obviously an amazing achievement as far as sales numbers go (and I ****ing love GoW, too), but didn't Halo 2 sell like two million in its first day?

Anyway, 360 software sales are seriously unbelievable. It's insane how nearly every relatively high-profile release does so well.

WarLox

good news... well deserved... but for some reason I wish this was about a non shooter... maybe Viva or something... cause its just feeding the Xbox sterotype... but good news is good news... :)

duckroll

Tieno said:
He hoped/dreamed for 8.

Are there even 8 million Xbox360s out there?

Andy787 said:
Uh.. not to rain on Gears' parade, because this is obviously an amazing achievement as far as sales numbers go (and I ****ing love GoW, too), but didn't Halo 2 sell like two million in its first day?

Halo 2 is a next-gen game?

BlizzyAzz

Microsoft Games Studios and Epic Games Announce "Gears of War" Surpasses 2 Million in Unit Sales Worldwide, Becoming the Fastest-Selling Next-Generation Console Game

Microsoft Game Studios and Epic Games Inc. today confirmed that “Gears of War,” the Xbox 360™-exclusive title, has sold more than 2 million copies worldwide since its release six weeks ago.

How many Zelda TP copies were sold worldwide at launch? That's the only game I can imagine that will even surpass this 2 million in a six weeks period.

BlizzyAzz said:
How many Zelda TP copies were sold worldwide at launch? That's the only game I can imagine that will even surpass this 2 million in a six weeks period.
Zelda would have to sell to 50% of Wii owners to get to that point within 6weeks (IF Nintendo got 4m Wii’s out there!)

Can I go back and argue Wii Sports will hit 2m quicker??

BlizzyAzz

Battersea Power Station said:
There's no way.

Well I looked up the sales numbers:

Europe: 240 000
Japan: 139 000
USA: 454 000

833 000 copies in total, that's only the Wii version and the sales numbers for the launch, so it's not impossible imho.

Feindflug

Great great news! GoW owns hard...it deserves those sales/praise - I bought a 360 for Gears of War and it was totally worth it! Congs to Cliffy and his team! ^_____^

Skilotonn

xbot xbot xbot xbot xbot
Very, VERY well-deserved... especially for a new IP in a totally brand new direction for Epic as well - awesome...

Hell of a great job CliffyB and Epic!

_Angelus_

Banned
DefectiveReject said:
Zelda would have to sell to 50% of Wii owners to get to that point within 6weeks (IF Nintendo got 4m Wii’s out there!)

Can I go back and argue Wii Sports will hit 2m quicker??

Wii sports is packed with the system,360 owners had to go out of their way to buy Gears of War,big difference.:D

RDDragon

Banned
I wish there are more developers like EPIC.
They always deliver 3A games that last for a long time.
GG Epic & now lets hope we will se GOW2 in near future.

MrSardonic

The nerdiest nerd of all the nerds in nerdland
tHa_vIlLaMaN said:
I think he said 8 million.

Actually, he said that when Microsoft told him it cost them $1bn to put the extra RAM in X360 that he wanted, he told them they just made 1bn gamers happy.

So, 8 million sound a little low.

tsef

Angelus said:
Wii sports is packed with the system,360 owners had to go out of their way to buy Gears of War,big difference.:D

Well there's also a pack for an XBox 360 and Gears, that s what made me eventually buy one :D

Jenga

Banned
BlizzyAzz said:
It won't. Simply because there aren't enough Wiis to go around.

MrSardonic said:
Actually, he said that when Microsoft told him it cost them $1bn to put the extra RAM in X360 that he wanted, he told them they just made 1bn gamers happy.

So, 8 million sound a little low.

That was Mark Rein.

DenogginizerOS

BenjaminBirdie's Thomas Jefferson
This is beautiful news to start the day with. Couldn't happen to a nicer team of guys. Congrats, Epic. Job well done.

PS. MS - You need to fire the lady who wanted the chainsaw gun removed. K thanks.

Tieno

DenogginizerOS said:
This is beautiful news to start the day with. Couldn't happen to a nicer team of guys. Congrats, Epic. Job well done.

PS. MS - You need to fire the lady who wanted the chainsaw gun removed. K thanks.
Don't think they wanted it removed from the game, but were hesitant to feature it on the E3 06 onstage demo.

CajoleJuice said:
This is so true. The 360 has a ridiculous tie-ratio.

You can thank Launch Day Live. I think I bought three more games launch week after playing like thirty hours of PDZ Infection in a matter of days.

Because we X360 owners like to buy games and play them instead of talk trash about them on internet gaming forums like a certain group of "kiddies".

Tieno

EverSoTrendy said:
Because we X360 owners like to buy games and play them instead of talk trash about them on internet gaming forums like a certain group of "kiddies".
Don't try to put one fanbase above the other. It's stupid.

Top Bottom