• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

When looking at companies, much importance do you place on Glassdoor?

Status
Not open for further replies.
For those who don't know what Glassdoor is, let me explain. Interviewees and employees of either in current or past form can throw up reviews of the companies they've encountered.

You can see if a company is outright shit or if they have redeeming qualities, what to look out for in the interviewing process, or whatever other hidden nuggets are tucked away from the eyes of the world, only accessed by those with experience. Think Yelp, but with jobs, kind of.

The downside is that people can post whatever the hell they want, just like Yelp, but anonymously. Falsified information can be countered by the employer, but that rarely happens.

Regardless, I've used it quite a bit, but I feel as if I'm too reliant on it. For example, one of my previous jobs was touted to be one of the best places to work. Gained standing ovations and all that, but once I landed the position, it was all a crock of shit. Another case had an interviewee explain how easy the entry test was, and I ended up sweating it once I took it myself (no, Anon39, it's not basic fucking math).

So, GAF, have you used Glassdoor? Is it abused in your eyes, or is it a fair resource?

I think the people who actually write reviews tend to be either ones who had really great or really awful experiences. It's hard to see what things are like for the average employee.

Yeah I do check the score and read the reviews. It is important to keep perspective. Read stuff from people in similar role. Dont worry about what others say.

What's to keep unscrupulous higher ups from posting positive reviews of their own company?

Oh that happens quite a bit. It's easy to tell when the Cons are listed as "no cons" six times over, and each review is the same sans a few different words.

Well written ones are a totally different case though.

I use it, but really don't pay attention to the score. Read the reviews, extract relevant data and seek out answers in person if you land an interview to see if there is any correlation or major concerns.

ItIsOkBro

This says all I have to say. Not many people go leave a review for an average experience.
I don't know about that. Several reviews have a good balance of pros/cons. As far as polarizing online reviews go (professors, hotels, etc) I think Glassdoor is one of the better ones.

Rookje

I think the people who actually write reviews tend to be either ones who had really great or really awful experiences. It's hard to see what things are like for the average employee.

The extremes are all that matter usually anyways. You have to also look at what their titles are. Low levels or temps are always going to complain about something. The ones who don't post are the ones who were mostly happy.

Key things I look for is when people talk about high turnover, or politics, or if project managers are in control over creative.

siddx

Magnificent Eager Mighty Brilliantly Erect Registereduser
I've read similar sites but it's hard to gauge, as you mentioned, what is legit and what isn't. At my previous job I shrugged off the scathing negative comments as bitterness...until I started working there and realized they were spot on. But I've also had the opposite with my current job in which the negative comments were clearly from shitty employees with bad attitudes.

rpmurphy

How does Glassdoor get its revenue? If it is from the employer/recruiting side to source for candidates and advertising, eh... then I would take them with a grain of salt.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom