• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo 3: Has that new car scent worn off for anyone else?

Shamrock

Banned
I loved Halo CE as it was revolutionary to FPS on consoles. I loved Halo 2 as it had revolutionary online play. As for Halo 3 I just don't feel like it revolutionized anything. The picture sharing is nice, but it doesn't advance gameplay and the forge is great if you have 12-16 friends online to play your games, but to be honest I don't feel it's a must have featue. Online co-op is great but co-op is has been done in many games isn't revolutionary as much as expected to be in AAA games.

After all the hype died down surrounding Halo 3 and I played the game for a while it really did feel like Halo 2 in HD with some added weapons/vehicles. I remember reading that Halo 3 was being developed at the same time Halo 2 was and in all honesty thats what the game feels like. It feels like they used a 3 year old engine and tweaked and polished it instead of creating something from the ground up to take advantage of the 360. I ended up trading it last week and to be honest I played Halo 2 almost daily for over a year and still own it. I don't know what it is but the game doesn't feel next gen to me or a new experience.

Anyway just to show I'm not pulling the Halo 2/Halo 3 being developed at the same time out of my ass here is what I speaking of.

Steve Ballmer Speech Transcript - Microsoft Office System Launch

Remarks by Steve Ballmer, CEO, Microsoft Corporation
Microsoft Office System Launch
Orlando, Florida
October 21, 2003

We'll show you a capability inside the Office System today that delivers on what we call Information Rights Management. We're working on the next version -- I hate to tell you this confidentially but I'll have to swear you to secrecy now -- we're working on the next version of Xbox right now and we're working on Halo 2 and Halo 3, the two newest versions of the game.

kay

It is a contender for game of the year so you have to agree it is the greatest thing ever. -tinfoilhatman

Gattsu25

Banned
Shamrock said:
I loved Halo CE as it was revolutionary to FPS on consoles. I loved Halo 2 as it had revolutionary online play. As for Halo 3 I just don't feel like it revolutionized anything. The picture sharing is nice, but it doesn't advance gameplay and the forge is great if you have 12-16 friends online to play your games, but to be honest I don't feel it's a must have featue. Online co-op is great but co-op is has been done in many games isn't revolutionary as much as expected to be in AAA games.

After all the hype died down surrounding Halo 3 and I played the game for a while it really did feel like Halo 2 in HD with some added weapons/vehicles. I remember reading that Halo 3 was being developed at the same time Halo 2 was and in all honesty thats what the game feels like. It feels like they used a 3 year old engine and tweaked and polished it instead of creating something from the ground up to take advantage of the 360. I ended up trading it last week and to be honest I played Halo 2 almost daily for over a year and still own it. I don't know what it is but the game doesn't feel next gen to me or a new experience.

Anyway just to show I'm not pulling the Halo 2/Halo 3 being developed at the same time out of my ass here is what I speaking of.

Steve Ballmer Speech Transcript - Microsoft Office System Launch

Remarks by Steve Ballmer, CEO, Microsoft Corporation
Microsoft Office System Launch
Orlando, Florida
October 21, 2003
All well and good, they were working on Halo 3 since back then...but in what capacity? I figure they started on the art direction and storyline back then and didn't start the actual programming or heavy duty development until the post-Halo2-has-gone-Gold vacation was over.

I'm so sick of hearing Halo 2.5 stuff. This isn't GameFAQs... can't we move on?

And yes, Halo 3 is still incredibly impressive to me. Especially Saved Films and Forge. They both still feel very innovative and fresh. I've moved on from campaign, but matchmaking and customs are still fun as hell, even after experiencing other awesomeness like TF2 and CoD4. I like them all.

Plus, the gameplay is the same 'ol Halo but it's more refined and explosive than ever.

Tieno

I liked the random crazy stuff that could happen and I liked getting my warthog on a Scarab.

I really liked Halo 3. It's so good. I played through the SP numerous times in a few weeks, which I've never done with any game. Halo still feels like home to me and the game I'm most comfortable with.

Creamium

shut uuuuuuuuuuuuuuup
Haven' played online for a while now. Probably should get into it again, now that the playlists have been updated.

McBradders

NeoGAF: my new HOME
These threads seem to be the new "LTTP: Beyond Good and Evil" threads.

One every two weeks.

If you're bored, it's ok, new maps are coming that'll have you playing again sooner or later. Don't sweat it, play some CoD4 or Orange Box or... well, anything in the meantime.

Hunter D

kay said:
It is a contender for game of the year so you have to agree it is the greatest thing ever. -tinfoilhatman
lol did bungie ravish the females in your tribe and burn your crops? If I had a dime for every time someone trolled halo I would be able to the backbone of the internet.

comrade

Best feature to me is saved films but I got over the game after the first week I had it. Like you I played Halo 2 for over a year but Halo 3 just wasn't enjoyable to me.

Still haven't played Halo 3. My 360's been in Red Ring Repair hell since September 2nd. It's funny, I've heard so many different opinions on the game, I'm curious to see what I'll think when I finally get to play it....

kay

Hunter D said:
lol did bungie ravish the females in your tribe and burn your crops? If I had a dime for every time someone trolled halo I would be able to the backbone of the internet.
I'm not trolling it, just making fun of tinfoilhatman

although i really dont think this warranted its own topic, there are tons already both for and againist halo. I really haven't played it since orange box came out.

halo 3 wore off really quick. I played halo 2 on and off up until the release. I got tired of Halo 3 a lot quick then 1 and 2. I think it was a culmination of me not liking most of the maps and a bunch of small changes that added up quickly.

While it's certainly a very impressive game, and I can plainly see that, it has the same problem all console FPS games have to me of not being fun for more than a week. It's taken me a long time to realize this, but I now see that I don't play console shooters for more than a week without getting frustrated with them and ultimately giving up due to the controls and framerate. Halo 3 unfortunately did nothing to change my mind.

FFChris

I don't have the internet unfortunately, so it gets a lot less play time than it would if my 360 was hooked up. I do play 1v1 pretty much everyday with my housemate though, and I'm sure I'd be playing splitscreen 2v2 if I had the controllers.

Still, the promise of new maps and updated playlists will keep me coming back to the game in the future I'm sure.

Foil

Do people here even enjoy games anymore? It seems like more and more when people first fire up a game they start to look for all the negatives instead of just enjoying the damn thing.

Oh well. As for the topic, I played the hell out of it the first two weeks then took a break until a few days ago where I got back into it. I'm enjoying the online big team battles quite a bit. More so than I did with Halo 2. Game could use some more maps though.

Aladuf

Banned
kay said:

:lol I just got out of reading the Uncharted Demo thread, and I definetly see what you did there!

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
Foil said:
Do people here even enjoy games anymore? It seems like more and more when people first fire up a game they start to look for all the negatives instead of just enjoying the damn thing.

Oh well. As for the topic, I played the hell out of it the first two weeks then took a break until a few days ago where I got back into it. I'm enjoying the online big team battles quite a bit. More so than I did with Halo 2. Game could use some more maps though.
It depends on the game. If a game is good enough, I can overlook the negatives in favor of the great experience.

Of course, when it comes to multiplatform releases, it irks the hell out of me when the version I purchased is inferior to another version and that ends up eating away at my enjoyment (unfortunately).

Shamrock

Banned
Whoompthereitis said:
Still haven't played Halo 3. My 360's been in Red Ring Repair hell since September 2nd. It's funny, I've heard so many different opinions on the game, I'm curious to see what I'll think when I finally get to play it....

Well to be honest it's hard to figure out whats wrong. I like Halo 1 & 2 and I even liked Halo 3. It's not like hate the game. I just can't keep playing it. I played Halo 2 out and Halo 3 feels like the same game to me. After I got over the new maps feeling I lost interest in the game. It's hard to explain, but I sure didn't think I'd be trading in Halo 3 two months after it came out.

Brandon F

Well congratulations! You got yourself caught!
Mojovonio said:
Got all of the SP achievements and haven't touched it since.

I have a feeling I'll be doing the same when I clear those SP achievements. Though my opinion has risen dramatically on the game with the introduction of the skulls.

I had a Halo 3 renaissance this weekend, going through Legendary with about 6 skulls switched on gunning for meta-score achievements was addictive in a way the narrative and missions structure ISN'T on it's own. The 'Tilt' skull particularly made the game quite a bit more interesting...suddenly the plasma pistol claimed a near permanent spot on hand(Bullet fire is worthless against brute armor with this skull), and factor in the 'rank-up' and 'famine' skulls, and the whole scope of the gameplay changes so dramatically.

I also still argue the game is a showcase for lighting, yea moreso than Uncharted.

Multiplayer...I'm just not feeling it at all. CoD4 ftw.

xbhaskarx

I think it's that both the Orange Box and CoD4 came out so soon after it. I'm busy with those games at the moment, but I'll probably get back to Halo 3 later.

honestly I haven't played it that much recently, but it's not necessarily because the game itself is bad...it's just that there's tons of other great 360 games I want to play at the same time, so it loses some of its luster I suppose. There's only so much time in the day, lol.

Idioteque

Beat it during the week it was released, and haven't touch it once since then. With all the great shooters that have been released this year, It just doesn't seem all that special.

Tieno

Brandon F said:
I have a feeling I'll be doing the same when I clear those SP achievements. Though my opinion has risen dramatically on the game with the introduction of the skulls.

I had a Halo 3 renaissance this weekend, going through Legendary with about 6 skulls switched on gunning for meta-score achievements was addictive in a way the narrative and missions structure ISN'T on it's own. The 'Tilt' skull particularly made the game quite a bit more interesting...suddenly the plasma pistol claimed a near permanent spot on hand(Bullet fire is worthless against brute armor with this skull), and factor in the 'rank-up' and 'famine' skulls, and the whole scope of the gameplay changes so dramatically.

I also still argue the game is a showcase for lighting, yea moreso than Uncharted.

I went through the game on normal with the following skulls on (tough luck, catch, fog, famine, thunderstorm, mythic, cowbell, i would have been your daddy), to get the campaign scoring achievements. It's a very good combination and feels quite different than a normal playthrough. All of the grenades makes it very challenging, but your shields are better so you can play very different. Enemy shields are very tough so you have to use that plasma overburst a lot, but due to famine you're starved for weapons. Skulls make make the campaign even better cause you can customize it to the playstile that fits you the most. It's like playing Halo in an alternate universe.

GhaleonEB

After all the hype died down surrounding Halo 3 and I played the game for a while it really did feel like Halo 2 in HD with some added weapons/vehicles.
I can see this leveraged at the multiplayer game, though I think it does what a sequel should - build and expand on the strength of the previous title. The support weapons, equipment and the new weapons/vehicles - and rebalanced ones - do expand upon the gameplay in the first quite a bit. But all of it could have been done in Halo 2. Halo 3's MP game doesn't necessarily take advantage of the platform the way Campaign does.

If you're arguing the Campaigns are similar, then you're on crack. Halo 3's Campaign isn't Halo 2, by any stretch of the imagination.

Also, if they were developing Halo 3 at the same time, it wouldn't have taken three years to launch this one. Ballmer may have known Halo 3 would be made, but it wasn't done in parallel; Bungie spent a year in pre-production planning this one out. If there was overlap, that would have been shorter.

For me Halo has never been the New Car. It's the subway you take all the time that you can rely on while you cycle through new car after new car.

Brandon F said:

Yeah, After spenting time with Halo 3 multiplayer (I even registered on game battles just for the hell of it), learning the maps, weapons, etc etc. It was fun for only SO long. I loved the SP experience a lot more, especially with meta-scoring enabled (Along with the skulls). Saved films were always a hoot to watch with a friend, But I could never get into forge.. Anyway, for me. Halo 3 has definitely lost its steam. Great times though.

Thunderbear

Mawio Gawaxy iz da Wheeson hee pways games
Having played a pre-release build of the full Crysis, it blows every other FPS out of the water. That includes COD4, Halo 3, Resistance and the rest.

Everyone that thinks it's just a pretty shooter is so wrong. The story is really well told, the action is _intense_ and things constantly happen (especially a bit later on) physics wise that doesn't just look amazing but really adds to the gameplay.

It's not just a gimmick, shooting out wheels, gas tanks, trees falling down as squads of enemies are shooting at you etc., the suit powers change up the gameplay lots and while you may find yourself toggleing between camoflague and armor often, it's effortless and just adds intensity.

I can't stress enough that this is the best FPS of the year.

I am running it on an average rig, Core2duo at 3.6ghz, 7800GT, 2gig of ram and it still looks beautiful. I turned down the res, put everything on medium quality except textures and post effects. Crytek pushed the technology but they could of released the game with the medium settings being the high settings and people would of loved how beautiful it is.

I'll contribute more to when an official Crysis thread goes up. I've complained so much this year of how un-innovative FPSs are (still enjoyable though) but this is the one that pushes gaming further on. COD4 was innovative in how immersive and intense it was, but gameplay was really same old COD.

traveler

Not Wario
I think, overall, it's the best of the Haloes and that Bungie should be proud of what they accomplished. That said, I played way too much Halo 2 back in the day to invest a similar amount of time in this one. I'll still mess around with Forge and Saved Films, but with so many other games around now, I can't give it the same portion of my leisure time as before. So, no, the new car scent hasn't worn off, I've just been moving from new vehicle to new vehicle.

Doytch

Rowsdower said:
Team Fortress 2 stole Halo's show. For me anyway.

Yup. I finished the SP the weekend H3 came out, played maybe 2-3 matches and went back to playing the TF2 beta. I haven't touched H3 or my 360 since. I don't really have a lot of time to play games, and TF2 takes any time I do have.

Mamesj

Banned
The game had a lot more competition this time around and honestly, now it just blends into the pack of great FPS instead of being "the one truly awesome console fps." That's why they launched in September, to get a jump on all the others.

Shamrock

Banned
GhaleonEB said:
I can see this leveraged at the multiplayer game, though I think it does what a sequel should - build and expand on the strength of the previous title. The support weapons, equipment and the new weapons/vehicles - and rebalanced ones - do expand upon the gameplay in the first quite a bit. But all of it could have been done in Halo 2. Halo 3's MP game doesn't necessarily take advantage of the platform the way Campaign does.

If you're arguing the Campaigns are similar, then you're on crack. Halo 3's Campaign isn't Halo 2, by any stretch of the imagination.

Also, if they were developing Halo 3 at the same time, it wouldn't have taken three years to launch this one. Ballmer may have known Halo 3 would be made, but it wasn't done in parallel; Bungie spent a year in pre-production planning this one out. If there was overlap, that would have been shorter.

No argument about the single player. I loved the single player and enjoyed playing online co-op with friends more than any game I can think of. It's the multi-player that has lost my interest. All I can say is after that new map feeling wore off my interest died because it feels exactly like the game I just played for 3 years and got bored of.

pj

Banned
My biggest disappointment with the game, and the reason I'm not playing it anymore, is forge.

Forge is pretty much worthless without a custom games browser. Unless you know 7-15 people who want to play exactly what you want, exactly when you want to, you're SOL. As it stands, the only way for a large number of people to play a custom game is for bungie to bless it and put it in a playlist

Scotch

It never had a new car scent for me in the first place.

I loved Halo 1, and was deeply disappointed with Halo 2. So I had very little hype for Halo 3, which allowed me to enjoy it for what it was. A pretty good shooter with some epic moments but also a bunch of boring moments, that ended the trilogy nicely. Frankly, I think Halo's online multiplayer might be the single most overrated thing in gaming today.

pj325is said:
My biggest disappointment with the game, and the reason I'm not playing it anymore, is forge.

Forge is pretty much worthless without a custom games browser. Unless you know 7-15 people who want to play exactly what you want, exactly when you want to, you're SOL. As it stands, the only way for a large number of people to play a custom game is for bungie to bless it and put it in a playlist
Forge is what's keeping me playing! You just need to find a couple friends that are good at making interesting maps. It's fun to create, playtest and advertise your Forge maps.

mollipen

Shamrock said:
The picture sharing is nice

The picture sharing is nice. The ability to save, replay, and share your entire game, however, makes me never want to play another FPS that doesn't have this feature ever again. I'm not sure if any PC titles have had this option before, but to me, this is one of the biggest things to happen to the genre.

I will admit, however, that I'm not really in love with most of Halo 3's maps, and really, really wish some of the older maps would return ASAP.

Tieno

pj325is said:

I partially agree. I love Forge and have had some amazing games when someone invited me into their games or when I joined random people on my recent players list. While I've given up on a custom game browser I think clan support would give so much more to Forge and I'll be incredibly dissapointed if that's not in the next dashboard update.

ghst said:
So, why so many 10's?
Lots of people like the game.

birdman

BenjaminBirdie said:
For me Halo has never been the New Car. It's the subway you take all the time that you can rely on while you cycle through new car after new car.

I couldn't say it better myself. Halo 3 kept me busy until Orange Box came out. I can't even remember the last time I played Halo 3. Got rid of it a few weeks ago to get Zack and Wiki.

Top Bottom