• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

So is the iPod Touch really worth it?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Fatalah

I'm not sure how many iPod Touch owners there are here. Not really sure how successful the product is doing, but I'm curious.

Does GAF view the Touch as an overpriced product the same way I do? Oh I wonder...

Phobophile

A scientist and gentleman in the manner of Batman.
If it didn't have small-capacity and expensive solid state storage, I'd love it. I need something 30 GB or higher.

McFly

My iTunes library is bigger than any mp3 player anyway. 16GB really isn't a problem and I love my touch.

not for me yet, but if it had 10x the storage (hard drive) I'd seriously consider it.

It feels like a stopgap between a real ipod and an iphone. I guess...that's kind of the point.

xsarien

daedsiluap
It's taking every inch of my willpower to not run out and buy one. I love the interface and the solid-stateyness, but I really do need at least 30GB before I can reasonably put my music on the thing.

commish

Jason Kidd murdered my dog in cold blood!
To be honest, I don't see the point of the Touch. Sure, it's awesome, but I'd rather have an iphone, even with the higher price tag/less storage space. Alternatively, I'd rather have a nano and a cell phone than a touch and a cell phone. Just too much to carry around with me.

If I didn't have AT&T and I was desperate to get something with a touch screen, then I guess the Touch is viable. Otherwise...

CoolTrick

Banned
As an all around device, it's excellent. Wifi and Youtube is pretty amazing.

As a music player, it's not as good as a non-Touch IPod. You have to physically look at the screen to change volume, select songs, and other things, and that's actually a somewhat big inconvenience.

Zyzyxxz

I'd rather have an iPhone over a Ipod touch anyday, once you can unlock it without any of that bullcrap.

I mean if you are gonna get a Ipod touch and carry a cellphone why not combine the two together and reduce our pocket clutter. Thats how I see it.

Touch is a waste of time. The only thing better about it than say a normal iPod is the web browser.

Aside from that... I can scroll through my music fine with the touch wheel... and I don't really need a big ass widescreen to watch movies.

MP3 player should simply be a portable device that plays all my music (5,000 + songs)... and has a good battery life span. Original iPod does all of that beautifully.

xsarien

daedsiluap
Zyzyxxz said:
I'd rather have an iPhone over a Ipod touch anyday, once you can unlock it without any of that bullcrap.

I mean if you are gonna get a Ipod touch and carry a cellphone why not combine the two together and reduce our pocket clutter. Thats how I see it.

Because if I forget to charge my iPod I'm not also basically forgetting to charge my phone, which is an infinitely more important of my daily-walking-around stuff.

Bggns

Zyzyxxz said:

Because i dont want my media player taking away battery from my phone, And the other way around.

"Ah Damn,... sorry John, i gotta hang up. I used the ipod on my phone so my battery is dead"

;-)

For me it was a choice between the Nokia N810, iPod Touch, or Asus EeePC as a handy Internet device thing. I ultimately chose the EeePC since typing is pretty important to me, and value the flexibility of a full OS compared with the music capabilities of the Touch.

mrkgoo

The iPod is truly an amazing device.

Apple really thought of the user interface - it's more than simply a touch screen and snazzy effects, which is what many people consider it. Did you know that the onscreen keyboard, apart from being predictive and spell checking, it actually resizes the touch sensitivity area for each key depending on the prediction, as you type? For example, you type C-H-A-N-C...the Touch figures your next key is more likely to be an E, and not a W or R, and the area under the E key is then extended beyond and overlaps the W and R, which are also reduced in size. It's features like this that set it apart.

Photo viewing is awesome (a big deal for me, since I take a lot of photos), as is movie viewing.

It's my third iPod, the other two which have now been relegated and fit different tasks.
iPodShuffle (G1, 1G): Running iPod, and general USB drive.
iPod (G5, 30G): Portable hardrive for backups, plus games, still ahs all my media too.

An iPhone would be amazing, but I'm not one for all the hacking and stuff. The only thing I truly miss from teh Touch is the compatibility with the radio remote - if it could use that it'd be really perfect for me (as it is, it only works for volume control). Surely, it's just a software thing, and I am hopeful it will be incorporated in future.

Yes, I am Apple whore.

capslock

Is jealous of Matlock's emoticon
CoolTrick said:
As an all around device, it's excellent. Wifi and Youtube is pretty amazing.

As a music player, it's not as good as a non-Touch IPod. You have to physically look at the screen to change volume, select songs, and other things, and that's actually a somewhat big inconvenience.

I say it's worth it mainly if you Jailbreak (hack) it. Jailbreaking is a really simple hack method, and can add so many applications... iPhone applications, Custom Themes, SendSong/File to email songs/files on your iPod to people via email, games like Labyrinth, MineSweeper, and Tap Tap Revolution (with a huge amount of songs that have premade song charts) and the NES/GBA Emulator. You can also use programs like SendSong/DropCopy to share songs/applications/files with other iPod Touches/iPhones wirelessly. I love my Touch, haha.

nitewulf

pretty much the best electronic device i have ever brought...but it really depends on personal preference.

1) i had the 20 gig ipod 4th gen model. after a while i realized that i was mostly listening to singles and playlists rather than albums. yes, i filled it up with a lot of stuff, but i was listening to less than 10% of it. so the space itself is not an issue for me.

2) not much of a phone guy, iphone is bulkier and has less space, have a cell-phone contract already, dont mind carrying two devices. so the iphone wasnt a contender.

3) price was not an issue due to disposable income.

4) it has pretty much the best interface of anything i have ever handled, i just love the touch interface. the design is top notch, stylish as hell. so aesthetics and navigation were immediately attractive for me.

its the culmination of all those reasons why i got it, and love it. but thats not gonna be the case for everyone.

Kreed

It really depends on what you're looking for. I had an iPod Mini and upgraded to the Touch, and I think it's great. Great interface, battery life, screen, and features. And the various programs hitting the net have made it even better. But because I had a Mini, I don't have a large MP3/video collection, so the Touch's memory is just fine for me and my music/video needs. And I have no plans on switching to AT&T so the iPhone isn't an option, plus I rather have my phone separate from my MP3 player. So for people who have large movie/video collections or don't have any issues with the iPhone, the touch may not be a great choice for an mp3 player.

AZ Greg

I love mine. Is it expensive? Yes. But I find it to be worth every penny (though I did save $40 on mine).

When the Touch was announced my only beef was the storage capacity. But I'm never away from my computer long enough to go through 16GB. Plus it would take a Touch with a storage capacity of about 100+GB to hold my entire library and that is something I don't see happening for a long time.

shantyman

WHO DEY!?
People who have not used mobile safari underestimate how good and useful it is. No other mobile browser is in the same realm. Don't bring up Opera, it is a joke compared to mobile Safari.

I will admit that the screen on the iPhone/Touch is part of what makes it so good though.

Manics

Banned
I've had the iPod Touch for a month now and I love it. 16Gb is enough for me and the fact I could jailbreak it to add the iPhone apps is great. I bring it with me all the time and I'm posting this reply from the touch. This is a great device.

killakiz said:
Cant wait till these things can have internet without wifi, the UHF auction cant come soon enough.

Wait, what is this?!!

UHF is going to be used for the internet?

uhf-outside.jpg

Tchu-Espresso

likes mayo on everthing and can't dance
I love mine. The storage is not a problem for me. 16gb is a lot of storage, and dont understand people's "need" to put every piece of music they own on the one device...its pointless considering that would be thousands of songs.

Add to the features the ability to jailbreak it and add custom apps and you're set.

DECK'ARD

The Amiga Brotherhood
Both the iPhone and the Touch are brilliant little gadgets.

The first multifunction devices to really nail the ease of use. And once Jailbroken it opens up so many useful applications.

It's like a proper handheld computer, and it's only going to get better once Apple open it up to proper development early next year. What the developers have done so far (like Installer.app, Mobile Terminal, VNC clients, and the emulators) without any proper dev kits is amazing.

Banned
apocalidiot said:
I say it's worth it mainly if you Jailbreak (hack) it. Jailbreaking is a really simple hack method, and can add so many applications... iPhone applications, Custom Themes, SendSong/File to email songs/files on your iPod to people via email, games like Labyrinth, MineSweeper, and Tap Tap Revolution (with a huge amount of songs that have premade song charts) and the NES/GBA Emulator. You can also use programs like SendSong/DropCopy to share songs/applications/files with other iPod Touches/iPhones wirelessly. I love my Touch, haha.
WHAT! Oh hell fucking yes.

I've been debating with myself for a while between getting a PS3 or an Ipod Touch for Christmas. I have a few questions so if anyone can answer i will be grateful.

1) can you zoom on the safari browser? I've never seen someone do it, and the few times I've used safari on the touch the screen was zoomed out and almost unreadible.

2) Can I update podcasts through wifi, like on my PC itunes.

3) How strong is the screen. I work at a fairly physical place, so the chances are high the touch will bump into a wall or something during the morning. What are the chances of it breaking?

DECK'ARD

The Amiga Brotherhood
jiggle said:
What's a good screen protector for this?

You really don't need one.

It's glass, and my iPhone has been living in my pocket for last 2 months without even a hint of a scratch.

Zyzyxxz

xsarien said:
Because if I forget to charge my iPod I'm not also basically forgetting to charge my phone, which is an infinitely more important of my daily-walking-around stuff.

good point I didnt think of that but I was looking at the stats and a brand new battery gets you either 6 hours of webbing, 8 hours of talk time, or 24 hours of music.

I doubt I will be doing either one until the battery dies out and even with mixed activities I'm sure I can squeeze a good amount of life out of the battery. Personally I dont talk on the phone much and I usually keep conversations short, I'd rather talk on instant messenger/skype or talk in person.

I dont know about you guys but I charge my phone everyday.

So I guess its more of a personal choice but I think I would stand by my decision to have an iphone over two separate devices as I still believe its much more convenient.

dskillzhtown

keep your strippers out of my American football
I love my Touch. I got it the weekend it was released. I love the interface and for me 16GB is more than enough. I have 67GB of music on my PC, but why in the hell would I want to carry all that with me? The wireless iTunes Store is great as well.

I think it all comes down to how you use your iPod. If you only listen to a handful of songs at a time, like me, then you would be fine with the Touch. If you need over 16GB on you at all time, obviously it won't work for you.

guise

Totally worth it, I love mine - and i had serious reservations about a 100% touch screen interface. I still miss real buttons but it didnt take long for me to adjust to the touchscreen. Jailbreaking is simple, pretty much everything can be installed via the iPod itself now (through installer.app) - no need for FTPing in and copying files to the backend.

WHAT! Oh hell fucking yes.

I've been debating with myself for a while between getting a PS3 or an Ipod Touch for Christmas. I have a few questions so if anyone can answer i will be grateful.

1) can you zoom on the safari browser? I've never seen someone do it, and the few times I've used safari on the touch the screen was zoomed out and almost unreadible.

2) Can I update podcasts through wifi, like on my PC itunes.

3) How strong is the screen. I work at a fairly physical place, so the chances are high the touch will bump into a wall or something during the morning. What are the chances of it breaking?

1) Yep, the whole double-tap & pinch system like when your viewing photos works in safari aswell. If a website is layed out properly, double tapping usually zooms in whatever element of the site you tapped on to fill the visible area. Safari on this thing is beautiful, having "the internet in your pocket" sounds so cliched - but its true.

2) no. i hope this comes via a firmware update or something, but since i sync with itunes daily its not a problem for me.

3) Im not sure about its limits in terms of physical knocks about, but the screen is pretty damn resistant - the same optical scratch resistant glass as the iphone.

nitewulf

yes, you can zoom in on the safari browser. i usually browse with the device in a horizontal position, and zoom in, and pan. you can do all that using finger motions. zoom in, pan around, zoom more, zoom out.

its fucking brilliant.

VOOK

We don't know why he keeps buying PAL, either.
Hack the bastard and put on all the iPhone apps plus all the other cools apps out there and its awesome, I take it everywhere.

If you don't need a phone get the iPod Touch over the iPhone as its exactly the same (minus the camera though I suppose) and has none of this shitty region lock crap to contend with.

Phobophile said:
If it didn't have small-capacity and expensive solid state storage, I'd love it. I need something 30 GB or higher.

This is the exact reason I'm waiting for the next one to come out.

SpeedingUptoStop

will totally Facebook friend you! *giggle* *LOL*
Phobophile said:
Wow first post = my post. But yea, I was playing around with the Touch at a Best Buy one day and it totally blew me away...enough to make me wanna drop Creative! Too bad it doesn't have enough space yet, or else it'd be numero uno on the X-mas list.

AZ Greg

jiggle said:

I bought the Griffin iClear and couldn't be happier with it. Though as others have said, the screen really isn't scratch prone. The iClear comes with a hard shell and a screen protector. The site lists it for $20, but you can find one for $15 at Wal-mart.

http://www.griffintechnology.com/products/iclear/

Also, I'm just curious as to why people want more storage (I'm not saying its a bad thing and I would like it too). But are some of you away from your computer for a longer time then it takes to go through 16GB? Or is it some kinda OCD thing where you either want none of your collection in your pocket or all of it?

dream

jiggle said:

I use an Invisible Shield, but I guess the ones at bestskinsever.com are the same thing and a lot cheaper to boot.

Odrion

Banned
Does the iPod touch have the ability to stream songs from your iTunes library over wifi?

That would be a pretty good solution to it's shitty storage.

Is the screen covered in glass like the iPhone? If so, you don't really need a screen protector on it. I've had my iPhone since day 1 and there isn't a scratch on the thing. Lots of finger prints though. :lol

Tchu-Espresso

likes mayo on everthing and can't dance
AZ Greg said:
Also, I'm just curious as to why people want more storage (I'm not saying its a bad thing and I would like it too). But are some of you away from your computer for a longer time then it takes to go through 16GB? Or is it some kinda OCD thing where you either want none of your collection in your pocket or all of it?
It definately sounds like it..

capslock

Is jealous of Matlock's emoticon
shantyman said:
Ummm, yes. Do you even own one? If you did you would know that what he said is correct.

Yeah, I own a touch, and its corner are getting scratched just from being in my pocket and bag, forcing me to get a case. I have no problems with someone saying that the screen is scratch resistant, but saying something like 'you don't need a case' is misinformation at best.

p_xavier

Authorized Fister
The Black Brad Pitt said:
It definately sounds like it..

Not at all, you put a few movies for a weekend holiday, and you have already your 16GB full, add to that your music, and you're screwed with that small amout of space. I would have bought a iPod Touch with a 80GB in an instant, I went with sony again. (yes, that would have been the first non sony gadget I would have bought).

MercuryLS

Banned
I personally love it, I take it with me everyday to work. They've got wifi so I browse GAF and listen to music on my breaks/lunch. It's awesome.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom